PDA

View Full Version : 83-Year Old Suing Apple After Walking into Glass Doors at Retail Store

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Mar 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/25/83-year-old-suing-apple-over-glass-doors-at-retail-stores/)

83-year old Evelyn Paswall is suing Apple after walking into the glass doors at the Apple Store Manhassett (http://www.apple.com/retail/manhasset/) on Long Island reports CBS New York (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/25/octegenarian-sues-apple-for-collision-related-injury/). She is asking for $75,000 in medical expenses plus punitive damages for negligence totaling $1 million.
Paswall claims that she didn't realize that she was walking into a wall of glass as she approached the store, and says that she broke her nose as a result of the collision.

Her suit claims that "the defendant was negligent ... in allowing a clear, see-through glass wall and/or door to exist without proper warning."The Manhassett Apple Store (http://www.apple.com/retail/manhasset/) has floor-to-ceiling glass walls at the front and rear of the store, with doors in the middle at both ends. It's a similar design to the Scottsdale Quarter (http://www.apple.com/retail/scottsdalequarter/) and Lincoln Park (http://www.apple.com/retail/lincolnpark/) stores.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/window_warning_stickers.jpg

The white "crash graphics" installed on the Apple Store transparent windows.
Image courtesy IFOAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2011/01/27/after-visitor-collision-display-windows-get-stickers/).
Last year, Apple had white stickers installed (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2011/01/27/after-visitor-collision-display-windows-get-stickers/) on the transparent glass of all Apple Stores to help prevent such collisions from occurring. However, the plaintiff's lawyer says that any markings that were on the glass are insufficient, saying (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/pane_suffering_at_the_apple_store_S3xMnbHvrSjn1KPmSvkhQK) his "client is an octogenarian. She sees well, but she did not see any glass."

Article Link: 83-Year Old Suing Apple After Walking into Glass Doors at Retail Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/25/83-year-old-suing-apple-over-glass-doors-at-retail-stores/)

Advil
Mar 25, 2012, 10:59 PM
Your glass is too clean!

El Cabong
Mar 25, 2012, 11:00 PM
Alternate headline: Birds Smarter than 83-Year Old

macbook pro i5
She is abit crazy:eek: .....and greedy...

Xavier
How fast was she walking?

lbro
greed:rolleyes:

levitynyc
Mar 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
America sucks sometimes.

irDigital0l
she's seems pretty ignorant...and greedy

PodPacker
Crap! Is it too late to get in on this racket? Better call Saul!

Grimace
Litigate long enough and Apple will definitely win! ;)

Wanted797
Mar 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Haha idiot

FlameofAnor
Since when does a broken nose cost $75,000 in medical expenses? :rolleyes:

bboucher790
Maybe she got excited when she saw all those balls.

quagmire

I bet it was those birds that closed the door to the store.... :p

iqKS-hkhhh4

tayloralmond
If you walk into a door and blame the owner of the store, you need to be euthanized.

dacreativeguy
Mar 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
She probably thought her reflection was another old lady moving towards her so she tried to attack her.

afin
For an 83 year old, she must be in very good shape if she was able to walk into the door fast enough to break her nose. I applaud her good health. *golf clap*

ayeying
Um.. There's markers.. Apple's technically not reliable for the damages if their store is ADA compliant...

yadmonkey
The human herd needs thinning.

KSpider
Mar 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
I really hope she pays Thousands in legal fees and loses

shyam09
she must have been on the run to break her nose. Odd seeing as how most 83-year-olds use canes to walk, or are terribly slow (no offense of course).

I mean the plan was all wrong. She should have walked up to the building, crash, and stumble back a few steps and repeat for a couple of times. That way she could testify that she is forgetful and she got injured in the head {and wherever else}. The ball would be in her court as it is a believable story.

And these old quacks tell us, the young generation, that we are the worst generation yet. Pssh, good one granny.

Silly Granny, Trix and money stunts are for Kids :)

tienathlon
Wirelessly posted

$75000?

Sick

hobo.hopkins
Mar 25, 2012, 11:06 PM
The human herd needs thinning.

Absolutely. Consider it delayed Natural Selection; it's really a wonder she was able to survive 83 years with such little sense.

allmanbrother
Can we get that security footage?

tayloralmond

"Breaking Bad" reference for the win!!!

DakotaGuy
Mar 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
$75,000+$1 million seriously? What ever happened to pay my hospital bills and we're good? I must say I miss those days even if I'm too young to remember them.

Menopause
she probably thought her reflection was another old lady moving towards her so she tried to attack her.

bwahahaha

Vorpal279
Oh, give me a break. This is on the "McDonalds Hot Cofee in my Lap" level.

Burro99
Mar 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
On her way home she got on the interstate going the wrong way. It took half a dozen state troopers armed with spike strips to get her to stop. She will be filing suit against Ford for manufacturing a vehicle that was unable to tell that she doesn't have the mental faculties to operate a car.

Pigumon
Mar 25, 2012, 11:10 PM
Most 83 year olds whine about how rotten people are now compared to upstanding people were in their day. I guess she's just trying to stay with the times! :p

But really, she should be ashamed. I bet it's her EVIL 50-Something BABY BOOMER kids that talked her into suing.

If you can't tell the difference between GLASS and AIR, you need to check into the old folk's home. I know a fly that could be her roommate.

Vorpal279
Mar 25, 2012, 11:11 PM
By the way, has anybody ever seen anybody in their 80's in an Apple store before? I do not recall ever seeing someone of that demographic.

mavis
Wow, just wow. Her pride took a hit and so she's suing the company with deep pockets.

Wonder if they video of her impact? Would be pretty funny if it showed her texting when she hit ... :D

Hastings101

I was thinking the same thing... she's one fast 83 year old.

drblank
Mar 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
She should have gotten Jackie Chiles!

Canaan
Mar 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if she won. The legal system is really messed up. There have been cases where burglars break into homes and get hurt in the process and then successfully sue the owner of said home.

drblank
Mar 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
I really hope she pays Thousands in legal fees and loses She probably has a contingency attorney that gets 33% if they win and nothing if they lose. If the case actually goes to trial, it will either be a fast process or drag out for years.

Vorpal279
Mar 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
If this doesn't show that we need tort reform in America, I don't know what does.

Rizzn
Wirelessly posted

So she's suing because she's old?

gorskiegangsta
Only in America :rolleyes:

avanpelt
Mar 25, 2012, 11:18 PM
More like $75k for a broken nose plus one heck of a nose job while they're at it. Anyone whose medical expenses total $75k to tend solely to a broken nose needs some new healthcare providers in their life.

MacCurry
This is the same legal system that allows Apple to sue others. I hope Granny gets her $1 million plus damages and court costs. You go girl!

JoeG4

http://birding.about.com/od/birdconservation/a/preventwindowcollisions.htm

This is actually a real problem in some places. Anecdotally, I must add that I've seen birds crash into windows more than once - one time it totally killed the bird too :(

splashnader
Mar 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
See what happens when old people abandon their scooters.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/S900-maxima-2002-3-wheel-mobility-scooter.jpg/220px-S900-maxima-2002-3-wheel-mobility-scooter.jpg

Lawsuits follow. :rolleyes:

johnparjr
Mar 25, 2012, 11:22 PM
They will settle out of court for an undisclosed amount.

macintoshi
Mar 25, 2012, 11:22 PM
Your glass is too clean!

Steve says: you see it wrong!:rolleyes:

chrono1081
Mar 25, 2012, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if she won. The legal system is really messed up. There have been cases where burglars break into homes and get hurt in the process and then successfully sue the owner of said home.

Yep, sad but true. I also think the judges in those cases need relieved since they obviously can't judge correctly.

This is the same legal system that allows Apple to sue others. I hope Granny gets her $1 million plus damages and court costs. You go girl!

You don't want this type of suing. Sure Apple sues a lot over patents and IP but this kind of frivolous lawsuit can happen to anyone. If she ran into your car for example and tried to sue you the way the U.S. legal system is you could be in trouble.

I personally think people who create frivolous lawsuits should spend a few weeks in jail to make them think twice before attempting to commit fraud.

speedylomeli
Apple needs to countersue for having it's shiny glass doors bloodied.

vojnik
sometimes there are things that should be forbidden into court, whats next suing the government for bad weather?

Wurm5150
So I guess those white stickers are actually not sticking to the glass but are magically floating in the air..?

ixodes
Mar 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
She has two things in common with Apple.

The propensity to sue, and love of big money.

Why not have a sense of humor about it :D

KSpider
Mar 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
She probably has a contingency attorney that gets 33% if they win and nothing if they lose. If the case actually goes to trial, it will either be a fast process or drag out for years.

Yah, I assume these cases they do it on a % basis only. I hope the judge humiliates her in court.

KopThat
Mar 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
I'm suing Mac Rumors for a $1,000,000 for the pain and suffering caused by reading that story, plus I hit my head on my iMac screen.

speedylomeli
Mar 25, 2012, 11:27 PM
Someone needs a dipper and fiber shake.

mmcxiiad
Mar 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
don't forget - 1/3 comes off the top to pay for the bloodsucking lawyer who agreed to take on this case.

KevShallPerish
Only in America.

pyrophite

Just because i hate when people parrot the "McDonalds lawsuit" as if it was actually all that frivilous (it really wasn't): http://www.legal-news-california.tozerlaw.com/mcdonalds_coffee_case.html

Millionaire2K
Mar 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
The fact that Apple put stickers on the windows shows they know there is a problem. (At least their lawyers do). Not everyone can be as smart as Apple fans. So if the doors are hard to see for 80+ citizens they need to be changed.

I feel the amount she is asking is WAAAAYYYY high. But the case is a ok. She will get an out of court settlement.

No lawyer will sue a rich company for only $1000. You always go big and let the judge set the number.

Apple OC
Mar 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
Grandma is lookin for a little Bingo money

AppleFan115
Mar 25, 2012, 11:32 PM
Excuse my language, but this lady is nothing more than an old B#tH! I don't care if this happened to Microsoft, HP, etc. Its just plain wrong. I don't understand how one can go to sleep at night after doing things like this.

splashnader
They will settle out of court for an undisclosed amount.

A free eye-exam and 10% of new ipad should do it.

Rennir

Actually the jurors in that case felt exactly the same way you did until they went into the case. I guess you could say that old woman hired a really good lawyer (not likely) or the jurors were all manipulated easily. I'd give them more credit than that though and say she ha a legitimate case.

This one, not so much.

Vorpal279
Mar 25, 2012, 11:33 PM
Just because i hate when people parrot the "McDonalds lawsuit" as if it was actually all that frivilous (it really wasn't): http://www.legal-news-california.tozerlaw.com/mcdonalds_coffee_case.html

I know all about it, I've read all the articles and it still comes down to it being her fault that she spilled her own coffee. No more on this subject.

mytakeontech
Mar 25, 2012, 11:34 PM
FlameofAnor
29 minutes ago at 09:03 pm
Not supporting her actions but this is American medical industry...broken nose might cause $1 million too..

EnderTW
Mar 25, 2012, 11:36 PM
The fact that Apple put stickers on the windows shows they know there is a problem. (At least their lawyers do). Not everyone can be as smart as Apple fans. So if the doors are hard to see for 80+ citizens they need to be changed.

I feel the amount she is asking is WAAAAYYYY high. But the case is a ok. She will get an out of court settlement.

No lawyer will sue a rich company for only $1000. You always go big and let the judge set the number.

This. I have seen the window. It's very clear. There should have been signage in the window.

I don't think she'll get close to what she's asking for but I agree an out of court settlement.

isoMorpheus
Mar 25, 2012, 11:37 PM
Maybe her nose fell off her face after the collision.

jackc
The fact that Apple put stickers on the windows shows they know there is a problem. (At least their lawyers do).

The fact that Apple put stickers means they solved the problem.

nickn
For once in perhaps forever, I hope apple sends the best lawyers available to shut this stupid lady up.

iMaconApple
Mar 25, 2012, 11:38 PM
Apple don't use windex To clean there glass doors they use iKlear :D

richpjr
Mar 25, 2012, 11:38 PM
Interesting timing on seeing this. I saw a dude walk face first into the door yesterday at an Apple store! He staggered back and his friend was crying he was laughing so hard at him. Didn't see any blood, but the guy was pretty sheepish!

cocky jeremy
Mar 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
I hope the court laughs her all the way to her grave. Idiot.

Millionaire2K
Mar 25, 2012, 11:40 PM

Not if an 80+ person walks into it.

If this was an "open and obvious" danger then there is no case. But its not. Its a danger if the glass looks to not be there.

Someone walking into your car while its parked is and "open and obvious" danger a person should know of. This person has no case unless the car was in camo.

jackc
Mar 25, 2012, 11:43 PM

Nothing can provide 100% protection for people who are 80+ from hurting themselves, that doesn't make them negligent.

FelixDerKater
Mar 25, 2012, 11:44 PM
At that age, it's almost impossible to get insurance, so this is a way to leave the kids and grandchildren free money... I'd bet she isn't even the one who came up with the idea. :cool:

orfeas0
Mar 25, 2012, 11:45 PM
75k$? she's asking for a million!!!
My first thought was "Don't they have apple stickers/logos on the doors?"
But it seems they do have them, but that b!tch is too stupid to even see those.

Go back to the kitchen grandma, you don't need an ipad!

Sardonick007
Mar 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
Dumb broads like this and their frivolous lawsuits are what drive prices up all the time. It's not like glass doors are a futuristic phenomenon that has eluded mankind for generations until brought forth by the Apple empire. Get a clue dips hit.

Do they expect the absence of doors?

Millionaire2K
Mar 25, 2012, 11:47 PM
Nothing can provide 100% protection for people who are 80+ from hurting themselves, that doesn't make them negligent.

Any open and obvious dangers in life you cant sue. (walking down the middle of the street and getting hit by a car) This door is not an open and obvious danger.

BC2009
Mar 25, 2012, 11:49 PM

This. I have seen the window. It's very clear. There should have been signage in the window.

I don't think she'll get close to what she's asking for but I agree an out of court settlement.

If this was an "open and obvious" danger then there is no case. But its not. Its a danger if the glass looks to not be there.

There are in fact building safety code regulations regarding glass walls and doors (hence the stickers on the window). If she is suing maybe her lawyer believes Apple was not adhering to the standards for this county and state (maybe stickers on doors were at wrong height or too small). However, if Apple was adhering to the safety regulations then this lady should be suing the county instead. They would be hard-pressed to make money off Apple if they were in complete safety compliance.

Consultant
Mar 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
Must be related to one of them in the movie "Duplex"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266489/

Repo
Mar 25, 2012, 11:50 PM

As sad a story as it is, that situation boils down to (no pun int) the woman placing the cup in her own lap, and splashing the coffee onto herself. McDonalds did not force her to purchase the coffee, nor place it in her lap.

laurim
Mar 25, 2012, 11:51 PM
They should put one huge silver metal Apple logo split between two doors. That'll take care of the issue and would look pretty cool.

mikefla
Mar 25, 2012, 11:52 PM
In other news, 83 year olds shouldn't be going to the store by themselves. I will be very happy if I am able to go anywhere by myself at that age certainly if I am able too handle high tech gadgets. Go Granny!

-Mike

Millionaire2K
Mar 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
There are in fact building safety code regulations regarding glass walls and doors (hence the stickers on the window). If she is suing maybe her lawyer believes Apple was not adhering to the standards for this county and state (maybe stickers on doors were at wrong height or too small). However, if Apple was adhering to the safety regulations then this lady should be suing the county instead. They would be hard-pressed to make money off Apple if they were in complete safety compliance.

I agree 100 percent.

But people to just tell this lady to die is just wrong.

KingJosh
Mar 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
biggest BS ever. Maybe she can go and sue every single house in the world for using glass windows? What a waste of money on lawyers.

Negritude
Mar 25, 2012, 11:55 PM

No it's not, because what you think you know about the "McDonald's Coffee Cup" story is all a lie.

Millionaire2K
Mar 25, 2012, 11:57 PM
biggest BS ever. Maybe she can go and sue every single house in the world for using glass windows? What a waste of money on lawyers.

No because eveyone knows of windows. The glass doors are not a common life danger.

hetrigger
Mar 25, 2012, 11:57 PM
Floating white stickers aside...I would blame those floating door handles, they are very misleading! With her advanced age...I guess she fell into the cracks of medicare/ medicaid budget cuts. I am actually surprised she isn't going after the Senate and Congress for allowing all Capitalists the ability to make money! But, once the society goes the wrong way in to Socialist Society, people like this will never get a dime!

tokenuser
Mar 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
I was waiting for the rest of the article ...

Mr. Xiao, attorney for Proview, was asked for comment and said that if this test case goes well, they will launch another 399 medical damages lawsuits and have Proview out of debt and back to profitability by early 2013.

RobertMartens
Mar 26, 2012, 12:03 AM
Wirelessly posted

Many cases?

Point me to one please

ombrenelcielo
you are walking it wrong.

TomMcIn
At $1M for an 83 year old, I suspect she was put up to it by someone who stands to increase their inheritance.

khovland92
meh she will be dead soon enough.... is that too dark?

belltree
To those poking at the elderly woman, wait until you get old. :mad:

Repo
Mar 26, 2012, 12:05 AM
To those poking at the elderly woman, wait until you get old. :mad:

I'll make sure not to walk into a pane of glass.

CFreymarc
Mar 26, 2012, 12:05 AM
1) Look at this woman's history and her estate's history of litigation.
2) She is responsible for her knowledge of age related sensory deprivation
and not anyone else. If she acts outside of her sensory deprivation, she is responsible, not those with Normal Boundaries.
3) Investigate her attorney to see if they have a history of litigation.
4) See what she did in the 60's when she was a professional. I bet she is an old bra burner.

MythicFrost
Mar 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
She's asking for $75,000 in medical expenses? Jeeze... getting a broken nose fixed must've gone up recently... :rolleyes:

Elderloc
Mar 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
This is flipping amazing. I slipped on a wet floor in Detroit at a hotel 6 months ago. There was no wet floor sign anywhere in sight, and it was the only way to the front desk. I end up tearing up both knees and my groin, after 6 months I'm finally at about 90%, and might still need surgery. I'm 37 and I can't sue according to Michigan law. Yet someone walks into a glass door regardless of age WTF. This is like a person burning their mouth on hot coffee or a HOT Pocket... Wow. I mean okay I know she is old I feel for her but this is just ridiculous.

I really didn't want to sue anyone, I was just worried about long term and medical. But it turns out I can't after consulting many lawyers. How the F do these people do this? At least I'm okay and work covered the medical, too bad I can't run around with my son, or do anything major thanks to the tares in my ligaments. Honestly I hope they don't side with her.

:::: End Rant ::::

DaveN
Mar 26, 2012, 12:14 AM

Especially considering that since she is 83 years old she is on Medicare so she probably had a total out of pocket cost of $10 if any. Maybe she now has a solid gold nose to replace the one she broke?

tigress666
Mar 26, 2012, 12:15 AM

No.

1. The lady sued for just her damages in that one. The reason she got more was the jury felt McDonald's needed punitive damages. But she wasn't trying to make money off of McD's, she just wanted her medical bills paid. This was not a case of some one just trying to make money.

2. This was not the first time McD's had gotten in trouble for coffee so hot it caused *3rd degree burns* (We're not talking about a ow, that's hot. We're talking about hot enough to burn the skin off of you).

3. Coffee that causes 3rd degree burns (not even to the mouth which is more sensitive but on just tougher skin), is not fit to drink! They are selling something that is supposedly fit to drink ;).

Now, I'm all for getting outraged at ridiculous sue cases (like the drunk idiot who hit a boar while riding his motorcycle and sued cause they didn't put a boar crossing sign - gee, you are supposed to be on the lookout for wild animals crossing the road period and you were drunk too so who is to say it wasn't the fact you weren't fit to ride is the problem, wild animals happen. Or the thief who sued and won cause the dog in the house bit him).

And I used to use that one as my prime example. But honestly, once some one pointed out the facts, I don't think it's such a blatant example.

Oh, for the people pointing out how fast she must have been walking, she's an 80 year old woman. Sorry, you get old, you break easily.

Not to say I think she should win. Just saying that the reason she broke her nose was probably more cause she was fragile rather than going fast (in fact, for most of us we'd probably be like that guy some one saw who ran into the door and his friend got a laugh. If she were younger, it probably would have resulted the same as that).

And I'm honestly not sure if she should win (I'd have to see the door she ran into honestly and what it was marked with), but I am sure she shouldn't get more than just her medical bills covered if she does win.

Though to be honest I've never had an issue figuring out whether the doors are open or closed at my closest Apple store. And I can be the kind that's walking so fast that if everything doesn't go to plan I end up crashing in the door (like managing to miss the handle when I reach for it that I run into the door cause it didn't open when I expected to have it open by, but I'm a clutz ;) ).

princigalli
Mar 26, 2012, 12:16 AM
Probably one reason I'd prefer not doing business in the USA, these cases are becoming frivolous and there is no limit to the amount people demand. $75000 shows no reasonable connection with reality.

RawBert
Mar 26, 2012, 12:17 AM
Couldn't she see the reflections behind her? Maybe she was texting and walking.
If the Apple Store had anti-reflective glass she may have had a case.

This kinda stuff happens all the time with people of all ages. I have an aunt whose husband once walked right through his own glass sliding door. He was badly cut up. It was his own fault. Just like this old bag.

tCdemon
Mar 26, 2012, 12:18 AM
News FLASH! Glass walls is the number #1 cause of broken noses in America! Where's the RESET button on the legal system?!

belltree
Mar 26, 2012, 12:20 AM
I'll make sure not to walk into a pane of glass.

Yeah, I am sure your vision will be what it is today.

highlnd
Wow, must have been a shady lawyer in the store at the time of the accident. Why can't people just buy Apple stock if they are jealous and want to cash in on Apple's billions?

HiRez

I'd like to point out McDonald's lost that lawsuit. I bet you this lady either wins the case or gets a nice settlement. It's bogus, but not worth the PR headache for Apple, probably. Bringing your corporate firepower to bear on 83 year old women never looks good.

blinkin182
Mar 26, 2012, 12:21 AM
Another example of aggressive behavior (suing) being preferred over a sensible and a bit more constructive approach! Instead of blaming Apple or whoever builds glass-windows doors (like you see in so many shops), she should have just admitted she had an embarrassing "accident" and get over it.

Perhaps she could have simply wrote a letter to Apple and explain her misfortune and ask them to take steps in order to prevent this from happening to someone else. (perhaps again, Apple may have responded in a generous and understanding manner (who knows..)). But no, it's much "easier" to sue for $$$$ and exaggerate the whole event to make it into a profitable lawsuit, which wastes the court's time and money for someone, all due to someone walking into a glass door...

It really is sad or pathetic....or simply both...

wikus
Mar 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
She's asking for $75,000 in medical expenses? Jeeze... getting a broken nose fixed must've gone up recently... :rolleyes:

Isn't USA's healthcare system an expensive joke?

ngochuy107
Mar 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
Tim would laugh his tail off if he heard about this.

arn
Mar 26, 2012, 12:25 AM
I'd like to point out McDonald's lost that lawsuit. I bet you this lady either wins the case or gets a nice settlement. It's bogus, but not worth the PR headache for Apple, probably. Bringing your corporate firepower to bear on 83 year old women never looks good.

and as I recall the McDonald's lawsuit did have some merits. In that McDonalds did keep their coffee at what was arguably unreasonably high temperatures.

arn

Sermon
Mar 26, 2012, 12:25 AM
75,000 + 1 Million? What did she get? A head transplant?

liavman
Mar 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
If this goes to trial, I hope to get a seat in the nosebleed section of the courthouse!!

InuNacho
Mar 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
I've never actually noticed those little stripped things on the outside of Apple Stores so I can fully understand why she is suing. Make those little strips a bar and problems like this won't happen.

Honestly I believe she should win if it changes what could potentially harm people. Older people with questionable eyesight and big panes of glass behind seems like a legitimate safety concern to me.

austinguy23
Mar 26, 2012, 12:31 AM
Wirelessly posted

Darwinism at work.

bakuub
Mar 26, 2012, 12:31 AM
Funny story when I used to work at an Apple Store.

I had an elderly man arguing with the head of the store, and in his big storm off moment, crashed into the glass wall and was knocked out for a minute. The entire, crowded store stopped and worried for the man, until he got up and promptly left, embarassed.

I sure hope he's all right,

darkplanets
Mar 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
Pray tell how you break your nose on a glass window at the ripe age of 83. Let alone how a broken nose costs 75k... you can break a lot more for that price. Or how she deserves damages up to 1 million.... for not seeing glass.

Animals are smarter than this woman.

Sounds like she's just embarrassed and/or looking to make some cash. This is exactly why we need tort reform. If Apple is ADA compliant (I bet they are) I bet it won't matter-- this bitch will win just like the lady who somehow didn't realize coffee is hot. At this rate up next is a lawsuit that water is wet guys.

princigalli
Mar 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
Only in America.

unfortunately not. Some European countries are learning to do the same. Some people prefer making money out of financial bets or court cases like this because it's easier for them than going to work. Greedy lawyers contribute to this too. But basically what happens is that the economy in some countries is turning away from production of goods and services and focusing on money transactions and legal games.

codyc815
Mar 26, 2012, 12:35 AM
and as I recall the McDonald's lawsuit did have some merits. In that McDonalds did keep their coffee at what was arguably unreasonably high temperatures.

arn

Agreed, that one particular McDonald's was proven to be using scalding levels, way above recommended temperatures, and I believe the lid was defective. We did a case study in school. It sounds ridiculous, but the women involved was covered in 3rd degree burns and literally had to relearn how to walk. Some lawsuits have merit, this Apple one isn't one of them.

iGobbleoff
Mar 26, 2012, 12:35 AM
If she's old enough to sue, she's old enough to see where she is walking.

waste of the courts time, it should be thrown out

cutmoney
Mar 26, 2012, 12:38 AM
Um.. There's markers.. Apple's technically not reliable for the damages if their store is ADA compliant...

First, I thought I would would quote this awesome post. Um, I believe you mean "liable" not "reliable" for the damages. And, that really couldn't be further from the truth since negligence and ADA compliance are not even remotely related to one another. Remember, all business open to the public newly constructed would have to be ADA compliant (or equivalent), so compliance doesn't make you any more or less negligent. Apparently ADA compliance is now an affrimative defense to all negligence claims?

Now that we cleared that up. This is obviously ridiculous, I mean what is wrong with people that you do something stupid, embarrass yourself, and then try to find someone else to blame. It's like if the lady that fell in to the mall fountain (http://youtu.be/jPW8xmI4w6U) sued the mall for not putting a warning sign next to the fountain. I mean, come on. Glass isn't anything new, it's been around for quite a while now last time I checked. If you embarrass yourself, just suck it up and move on, don't try to blame Apple and complain that it was somehow their fault.

Finally, everyone should read this lady's post on Google Reviews. Look up the Apple Store and you'll see her one star review. She talks about how Apple hasn't contributed (or something) and that they should show her dignity and respect, even though she's suing them for a million dollars. I just hope in the end she loses a lot of money attempting to peruse this frivolous lawsuit.

Dr McKay
Mar 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/126/314/3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

deannnnn
My grandma has walked into the sliding glass door at my house several times. Not once has she sued me.

arn
Agreed, that one particular McDonald's was proven to be using scalding levels, way above recommended temperatures, and I believe the lid was defective. We did a case study in school. It sounds ridiculous, but the women involved was covered in 3rd degree burns and literally had to relearn how to walk. Some lawsuits have merit, this Apple one isn't one of them.

Maybe. I'm not saying that Apple should necessarily have to pay $1 million, etc...

But, someone else in the thread mentioned he's seen it happen before: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14611295&postcount=113

If it happens enough, Apple should change something. And I could see them being held liable if it happens enough or with enough serious injury, and they knowingly don't do something.

arn

wordoflife
Mar 26, 2012, 12:42 AM
Words cannot describe how I feel about this woman.
What an idiot.

deannnnn
Mar 26, 2012, 12:43 AM
Arn, sorry if this is totally creepy but I love when you join in the conversation. I am legitimately so interested in your opinions.

Smigit
Mar 26, 2012, 12:44 AM
Too bad the wall didn't kill her.

darkplanets
Mar 26, 2012, 12:45 AM
If it happens enough, Apple should change something.

arn

I'm going to sound like an ass here, but can you really fix stupid?

At some point people have to take responsibility for themselves... not blame every error on someone else. I don't want to live in a society where there's warnings plastered everywhere because people do stupid things. "Caution, this oven is hot" "Warning, this glass is transparent" "Careful, this outlet has a current, and can shock you."

ITGuy
Mar 26, 2012, 12:47 AM
You're seeing it wrong.

Mr. Gates
Image (http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/126/314/3cd8a33a.png?1306264975)

Nobody is stopping you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Topic, ...Who the hell thinks a computer shop has no walls or doors ? Like everyone is on the honor system of trust ???

Granny needs to stop embarrassing the family.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll bet this gets thrown out of court with a laugh.
Any takers ?....

In the words of Mitt Romney "$10,000.00 Bet ?! " (handshake ?)

:D

splashnader

arn

This is true. Their coffee could take rust of a Buick. :p

interfreak
Mar 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
Maybe she should get better glasses? Apple should sue her for cleaning her forehead grease off their door...

Mr. Gates
Mar 26, 2012, 12:50 AM

At some point people have to take responsibility for themselves... not blame every error on someone else. I don't want to live in a society where there's warnings plastered everywhere because people do stupid things. "Caution, this oven is hot" "Warning, this glass is transparent" "Careful, this outlet has a current, and can shock you."

Perfect ! Why is this not the normal thinking nowadays ?

People just suck in so many ways, and by that I mean the people that make money on stupidity.

Just to be clear: I'm not making fun of anyone or name calling. I Agree with you 100%

Call it like it is

arn
Mar 26, 2012, 12:52 AM

But see, I don't think it's necessarily a matter of stupidity. It's may be a matter of engineering and user interface, which Apple should be sensitive too.

That woman who sued McDonald's over the hot coffee. She burned herself severely. Was she stupid? That's what everyone said. But a certain number of people are going to spill coffee on themselves in a given year. Is it ok that McDonald's raised the temperature so high it would cause 3rd degree burns in 2-3 seconds? My opinion is no, it's not ok, and McDonald's hadn't changed the temperature even after many other people had burned themselves.

A friend of mine took an engineering design class, and told me a story from it that I remember stuck with me. So this nuclear power plant had a control panel, but it was physically impossible to reach that panel without standing on another control panel. So, let's say something terrible happened because one of the workers accidentally flipped a switch with his foot. Sure, you could say the worker was stupid and it was his fault for not watching where his feet went. But in reality, it's the fault of whoever designed the control panel locations.

How many people are going to crash into Apple doors this year? Just 1 or 2? Ok, maybe that's just negligence on the part of the people walking, and they should pay more attention. Is the number closer to 100? 1000? At some point it becomes a design issue, and not a stupidity issue.

arn

splashnader

Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer tried to sue a local coffee shop because the lid on the cup was not put on correctly.

The woman in this suit needs Jackie Childs. It's her only shot.

http://isuisu.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/jackie-chiles.jpg

Santabean2000
Take some personal responsibility lady. Seriously.

This is exactly what's wrong with this world; I hurt myself, so it must be somebody else's fault.

The whole world needs to wrapped in cotton wool before some people would be happy.

Come on lady. If the world is too dangerous, stay at home.

bdkennedy1
Mar 26, 2012, 12:55 AM
Coffee is HOT!

mrgraff
Mar 26, 2012, 12:56 AM
She might not know that an Apple Store's door is a piece of glass, but you'd think she might stop to look for a door when attempting to enter the store. This is why birds hit windows: they aren't familiar with the concept of windows.

bdkennedy1
Mar 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
WARNING: You may get into a car accident. You may choke to death on a piece of food. You may die from sun exposure. Where does it end? It doesn't.

But see, I don't think it's a matter of stupidity. It's a matter of engineering and user interface, which Apple should be sensitive too.

That woman who sued McDonald's over the hot coffee. She burned herself severely. Was she stupid? That's what everyone said. But a certain number of people are going to spill coffee on themselves in a given year. Is it ok that McDonald's raised the temperature so high it would cause 3rd degree burns in 2-3 seconds? My opinion is no, it's not ok, and McDonald's hadn't changed the temperature even after many other people had burned themselves.

A friend of mine took an engineering design class, and told me a story from it that I remember stuck with me. So this nuclear power plant had a control panel, but it was physically impossible to reach that panel without standing on another control panel. So, let's say something terrible happened because one of the workers accidentally flipped a switch with his foot. Sure, you could say the worker was stupid and it was his fault for not watching where his feet went. But in reality, it's the fault of whoever designed the control panel locations.

How many people are going to crash into Apple doors this year? Just 1 or 2? Ok, maybe that's just negligence on the part of the people walking, and they should pay more attention. Is the number closer to 100? 1000? At some point it is a design issue, and not a stupidity issue.

arn

swingerofbirch
Mar 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
I wrote something sincere, but I knew I'd be ridiculed, so, instead, a funny and related line:

"Well, well, those keyholes are a menace! Someone was bound to freak out and thrash themselves through one!"

H/T to those who know the reference.

Munas
Mar 26, 2012, 01:00 AM
is her nose made by Apple that costs pile of money? :)
I can understand it might happen even for a younger one, however 75K US$ for a broken nose.... hm... she must be wearing golden exclusive design glasses, Breitling watch and an Apple computer on her nose it to cost such amount of money...

farkingdom
Mar 26, 2012, 01:01 AM
Wirelessly posted

Ow c'mon I have also experienced something like this at a mall, the wall is also glass. But I don't blame anyone but myself for that silly mistake. I was paying attention on other things that time, then walks into the glass. Well, I got my friends all laughing at me after that. =\ lesson learnt. What this woman is doing is pure greed... Putting the blame on someone else.

frank8880
Everybody now seems wanting to make money out of apple somehow, no matter what nor how, you gotta find something to sue apple for, after that pile of cash they have announced.:rolleyes:

mcarling
Apple took reasonable care to prevent such an occurrence. She didn't. She should be ordered to pay Apple for the costs of defending this frivolous suit.

Rodimus Prime
Mar 26, 2012, 01:02 AM

I suggest you read on on the McDonalds case. McDonalds was in the wrong.

Even if Apple complied with all county safety codes it does not get Apple off the hook nor does it make the county/city liable for damages.

Yes I do feel this case is stupid. It was very embarassing for the woman and chances are painful. I know I personally have walked into a glass window because I was distractic for like 2 seconds. All I could do was laugh, nurse my head and call my mom to mail my new glasses up to me because I had pretty much broke my current pair. I was going to go home in 2 weeks to get them plus more contacts but destroyed glasses changed things and made me need them sooner.
My face print was on the door for a few days. I honestly found it rather funny as all I could do was laugh it off.

Smigit
Mar 26, 2012, 01:03 AM
Apple took reasonable care to prevent such an occurrence. She didn't. She should be ordered to pay Apple for the costs of defending this frivolous suit.
And the cost of cleaning their window

Matthew Yohe
Mar 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
Anyone bringing up the McDonalds incident should watch Hot Coffee. You likely hold incorrect views.
www.hotcoffeethemovie.com

Mr. Gates
Mar 26, 2012, 01:10 AM
But see, I don't think it's necessarily a matter of stupidity. It's a matter of engineering and user interface, which Apple should be sensitive too.

How many people are going to crash into Apple doors this year? Just 1 or 2? Ok, maybe that's just negligence on the part of the people walking, and they should pay more attention. Is the number closer to 100? 1000? At some point it becomes a design issue, and not a stupidity issue.

arn

Darwin.

That is all

scootaru
Mar 26, 2012, 01:12 AM

The "McDonalds Hot Cofee [sp] in my Lap" claim was legitimate. Don't let the media influence your opinion. Check the facts for yourself.

Amnesia87
So, my question is, when approaching the front of a building with an all glass storefront, how is it possible that she was able to determine where the door should be in the invisible wall, and then not realize the door isn't open.

I honestly think she would have a better case if she walked into the wall. But to walk in to the door means you saw the front of the store, saw the all glass storefront, determined where the door was in said glass wall, and then walked towards it. And I would say if you are able to identify where the door is, you can tell if it's open.

Not sure how the lawyers can really get around that.

MH01
Ahhh bless the MR fanboys!

Taking the $$$$ and the fact its Apple out of the equation a 83 year old broke their nose, do you guys think that is bad??

My grandad is 85 and anytime something happens to him I feel for him.

Got an issue with the lawsuit... Take it out on a lawyer. Apple has had plenty of

Legal practice in the last 18 months, they are very very good at sueing and defending ;)

darkplanets
But see, I don't think it's necessarily a matter of stupidity. It's a matter of engineering and user interface, which Apple should be sensitive too.

Is the number closer to 100? 1000? At some point it becomes a design issue, and not a stupidity issue.

arn

To play devils advocate, could we not argue that a large percentage of society is thus unable to handle day to day actions? Should others be punished for someones accident or lapse of judgment or concentration? It's almost analogous to you suing the car manufacturer every time you get into an accident or get a traffic ticket because you weren't paying attention. The person in control of the vehicle is the one responsible for the actions. That said, there are some instances where poor design is blatant (like your example), but glass being transparent (with clearly visible doors) is not in my opinion-- it's almost innate knowledge. It's almost like saying that a bathtub filled with water is a drowning hazard, and that the tub should be designed better... I'm surprised someone hasn't gotten sued over that to be honest.

At some point you have to draw the line. There will be the lowest common denominators in society (or just accidents); we don't need a padded wall and bright safety sticker life.

arn
Mar 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
That said, there are some instances where poor design is blatant (like your example), but glass being transparent (with clearly visible doors) is not in my opinion-- it's almost innate knowledge.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't in this case. I'm just saying (abstractly) that if it happens enough, it becomes a design issue, not a stupidity issue.

arn

Blacklabel34
Mar 26, 2012, 01:17 AM
you go GRANNY!!!!

however at 83 years old I don't know if she will be able to enjoy the million.

In all honesty these type of things make me sick....I can't stand lawyers.

StuLax18
Mar 26, 2012, 01:18 AM
I was actually at the Scottsdale store today. I did not walk into the glass, but the doors were propped open. ;)

darkplanets
Mar 26, 2012, 01:19 AM
I'm not saying it is or it isn't in this case. I'm just saying (abstractly) that if it happens enough, it becomes a design issue, not a stupidity issue.

arn

And that's what I'm (partially) disagreeing with -- even if it happens a lot, it's not always a design issue. Mistakes happen. People get careless. Is a hot oven a design issue? How about hot food? People burn themselves all the time (myself included) by not loosely observing the law of cooling. I wouldn't call that a design issue, but perhaps that's just me.

Goldenbear
Mar 26, 2012, 01:22 AM

That woman who sued McDonald's over the hot coffee. She burned herself severely. Was she stupid?...
Yes, she was stupid for putting a hot (non-rigid) cup of coffee in her lap while driving.

McDonalds was also stupid for making the coffee that hot (and deserve the fine), but who the $#@! in their right mind drives with a crushable cup in their lap and NOT expect it to spill?

...How many people are going to crash into Apple doors this year? Just 1 or 2? Ok, maybe that's just negligence on the part of the people walking, and they should pay more attention. Is the number closer to 100? 1000? At some point it becomes a design issue, and not a stupidity issue.

arn

I'm reminded of a quote that may be by the late Douglas Adams that goes something like:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

The only way to prevent people from walking into glass doors is to basically ban clear doors. Even then, you'll have some dumb@ss reading something or looking somewhere else and walk into the door.

The next thing you'll see is some idiot bump their heads in the glass displays and sue claiming the glass was so clear that they didn't realize where it was. So then we ban glass displays that are too clean?

Where does it stop?

I'm sick and tired of this "nanny state" mentality where you have to go out of your way to make absolutely certain that the most inept people on the face of the earth can't possibly do something dumb to hurt themselves.

scootaru
Mar 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
If this doesn't show that we need tort reform in America, I don't know what does.

This is hardly an example of the need for tort reform. The mother suing New York for $900 trillion, maybe, but this, no. She's only asking for $1 million, an amount likely less than the punitive damage maximum that would be set by tort reform.

AppleScruff1
Mar 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
I hope she wins a fair amount, but $1 million is a bit idiotic.

dontwalkhand
Mar 26, 2012, 01:24 AM
I should sue Apple for trying to eat the food off the retina display iPad. It just looks so real!

arn
Yes, she was stupid for putting a hot (non-rigid) cup of coffee in her lap while driving.

McDonalds was also stupid for making the coffee that hot (and deserve the fine), but who the $#@! in their right mind drives with a crushable cup in their lap and NOT expect it to spill?

Except she didn't do that. That was the urban myth portion of the lawsuit.

arn

Smigit
Ahhh bless the MR fanboys!

Taking the $$$$ and the fact its Apple out of the equation a 83 year old broke their nose, do you guys think that is bad??

No, not especially. I've run into things before. Relatives have run into things before. None of us felt the need to sue.

If this was my relative I'd *possibly* feel slightly sorry for them, but I would not encourage or be happy for them to take it out on the store, let alone to seek a lawyer.

And no, I don't believe people should be taking this out on the lawyer as opposed to her. She's the one that a) hit the wall and b) is taking Apple to court.

shyam09
Mar 26, 2012, 01:25 AM
Can we get that security footage?

lol it'll go viral, have more views than Rebecca's Blacks Friday, or a cat licking a dog or whatever. Then ol' Granny McTryingToPullAFastOne will be in for it.

Imahottguy
Mar 26, 2012, 01:26 AM
This is ridiculous. Just because you are 83, and obviously senile, doesn't give you the right to sue a business when you hurt yourself there. Oh I ran into a glass door with enough force to break my nose! Not only am I going to sue for the $75K "medical" bill, which probably had a face lift included with the nose job, I am also going to demand a million on top of it!? I hope that this makes it before a judge, and that judge recommends that she be placed in a home for the senile and greedy.

I bet she is the type that is always trying to work the angle of "… so can I sue them because I…?". I hate that type of person, they make America look bad, and greedy.

scootaru
Mar 26, 2012, 01:29 AM

Not sure why so many down votes for such a valid point. Oh wait, now I see it. Probably should have left out the sarcastic remark about us Apple fans.

Mr. Gates
Mar 26, 2012, 01:30 AM

One............................MILLION Dollars !

http://www.youngausskeptics.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Dr-Evil.jpg

Muhahhahhhahhaa HAAA ha Ha haaaa HAhaha ....Ah ha ...Hmmm .Ahhh A HA

Iconoclysm
Mar 26, 2012, 01:33 AM
I know all about it, I've read all the articles and it still comes down to it being her fault that she spilled her own coffee. No more on this subject.

Coffee should not be so hot that you need to wear protective clothing in case it spills...

----------

I'm reminded of a quote that may be by the late Douglas Adams that goes something like:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

The only way to prevent people from walking into glass doors is to basically ban clear doors. Even then, you'll have some dumb@ss reading something or looking somewhere else and walk into the door.

The next thing you'll see is some idiot bump their heads in the glass displays and sue claiming the glass was so clear that they didn't realize where it was. So then we ban glass displays that are too clean?

Where does it stop?

I'm sick and tired of this "nanny state" mentality where you have to go out of your way to make absolutely certain that the most inept people on the face of the earth can't possibly do something dumb to hurt themselves.

She wasn't driving. She was an elderly woman. You need to learn the whole story and, more importantl, see the pictures.

Marcus PM
Mar 26, 2012, 01:34 AM
She would have done better if she'd run into the glass wall. She obviously saw well enough to aim for the glass door, she simply neglected to open it.

BvizioN
Mar 26, 2012, 01:34 AM
It's bogus, but not worth the PR headache for Apple, probably. Bringing your corporate firepower to bear on 83 year old women never looks good.

But wouldn't it be a bad example for other thousands of other granny's who would be so attracted to the glassed doors, fallowing her lead on this type of fraud?

scootaru
Mar 26, 2012, 01:35 AM

Just like Fen Phen solved the obesity problem. :rolleyes:

Fukui

eighty eight miles per hour!!

wikus
I've never actually noticed those little stripped things on the outside of Apple Stores so I can fully understand why she is suing. Make those little strips a bar and problems like this won't happen.

Honestly I believe she should win if it changes what could potentially harm people. Older people with questionable eyesight and big panes of glass behind seems like a legitimate safety concern to me.

You sound like someone that would pass a lot of bylaws in Ontario, Canada.

AppleScruff1
Mar 26, 2012, 01:36 AM
This is ridiculous. Just because you are 83, and obviously senile, doesn't give you the right to sue a business when you hurt yourself there. Oh I ran into a glass door with enough force to break my nose! Not only am I going to sue for the $75K "medical" bill, which probably had a face lift included with the nose job, I am also going to demand a million on top of it!? I hope that this makes it before a judge, and that judge recommends that she be placed in a home for the senile and greedy.

I bet she is the type that is always trying to work the angle of " so can I sue them because I?". I hate that type of person, they make America look bad, and greedy.

Or maybe she's just giving Apple a taste of their own medicine?

wikus
Mar 26, 2012, 01:36 AM
eighty eight miles per hour!!

Did she have 1.21 gigawatts of juice powering her walker?!

Dobbs2
Mar 26, 2012, 01:37 AM
Wirelessly posted

What's funny is she posted a google review two days before this story landed on macrumors.

http://www.google.com/m/place?cid=2947981886282145381&q=manhasset+apple+store&fb=1&gl=us&hq=apple+store&hnear=0x89c288f40b33cb41:0x38dce5ddee89a874,Manhasset,+NY&ei=DQ1wT6zCKeWZ2QXxrdHwAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=placepage-link&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q4gkwAg

wikus
Mar 26, 2012, 01:38 AM

As much as apple deserves a taste of their own medicine, this really isnt how they should get it.

rikscha
Mar 26, 2012, 01:38 AM
Wirelessly posted

Why not 1 billion dollar?

Reach
Mar 26, 2012, 01:39 AM
To the people that talk about (but obviously knows little about) the McDonalds "Hot Coffee"-case, watch this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Coffee_(film)

wikus
Mar 26, 2012, 01:41 AM
Wirelessly posted

What's funny is she posted a google review two days before this story landed on macrumors.

http://www.google.com/m/place?cid=2947981886282145381&q=manhasset+apple+store&fb=1&gl=us&hq=apple+store&hnear=0x89c288f40b33cb41:0x38dce5ddee89a874,Manhasset,+NY&ei=DQ1wT6zCKeWZ2QXxrdHwAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=placepage-link&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q4gkwAg

I only wanted to return the telephone that didn't work with Horizon.

Horizon? Er... Verizon?

Mr. Gates
Mar 26, 2012, 01:41 AM
I bet she is the type that is always trying to work the angle of

" so can I sue them because I?".

I hate that type of person, they make America look bad, and greedy.

So you're saying Americans are not greedy ? And they are Angels ?

No???

So then...you're saying nothing really.

phonitron
Mar 26, 2012, 01:43 AM
If I'd been the store manager, I would have hoped to have it dealt with there and then by offering her something fairly decent free of charge as a goodwill gesture.

Under the right circumstances, where our attention is elsewhere things like this can happen. But clearly, that is a ridiculous amount

JayLenochiniMac
Mar 26, 2012, 01:44 AM

arn

Unreasonably high temperatures according to who? The National Coffee Association recommends coffee be brewed at between 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction and drunk immediately. If not drunk immediately, it should be maintained at 180-185 degrees Fahrenheit.

I read it and still consider it frivolous. Why in the world would she be stupid enough to put a hot coffee between her laps instead of a safer location? Really no different from the 83-year old failing to see the glass. Just stupid actions on their part.

Fukui
Mar 26, 2012, 01:44 AM
Did she have 1.21 gigawatts of juice powering her walker?!

lol, juice (http://i.ytimg.com/vi/PleFw1gZ8GM/0.jpg)!

darkplanets
Mar 26, 2012, 01:46 AM
So you're saying Americans are not greedy ? And they are Angels ?

No???

So then...you're saying nothing really.

I think mankind as a whole is self-centered and greedy. In effect we're programmed to be simply for self-survival. A disconcerting number of us would probably opt for the same course of action. Says a lot about the state of mankind.

sparkhill
Mar 26, 2012, 01:48 AM
$75,000+$1 million seriously? What ever happened to pay my hospital bills and we're good? I must say I miss those days even if I'm too young to remember them.

The sad part is that her Medicare co-pay is at most $1,000; the taxpayers picked up the rest of the tab.

darkplanets
Mar 26, 2012, 01:51 AM
The sad part is that her Medicare co-pay is at most $1,000; the taxpayers picked up the rest of the tab.

You forgot the facelift part. You know, since a broken nose doesn't come close to 75k no matter what state you're in.

Jessica Lares
Mar 26, 2012, 01:52 AM
That's the whole problem with the way the law works in general. If someone is on your property (even without you knowing), they can sue you if they fall and break a leg just because they're not careful. I fell on the sidewalk a few weeks ago and can no longer stand on my knees to play ball with the dog or pick up something because I bruised and maybe fractured them so bad that it hurts. I'm not about to sue the city or the neighbor who's house it happened at though as I needed to pay more attention at the uneven concrete. Technically I could though.

I think she has to face the fact that her vision is failing on her...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2683/4034690154_9cae5bedfb.jpg

There is so much glare, it's not even like the kinda glass on car windows/backyard doors.

ProVideo
http://i.imgur.com/H93fR.gif

griz
Wirelessly posted

sometimes there are things that should be forbidden into court, whats next suing the government for bad weather?

Now that you mention it, they aren't doing anything to prevent it.

MacinDoc
I hope she wins a fair amount, but in this case, that may be nothing at all. $75k for medical expenses alone isn't even remotely believable for a broken nose, if she even could walk quickly enough into a stationary flat glass panel to break her nose (almost all cases of fractured noses, with the exception of high-speed MVAs and falls against a protruding edge, are caused by a moving object hitting the face, not a moving face hitting a stationary object). And, as others have pointed out, virtually every store in the western world has a front door that is primarily glass, so the negligence part of the suit doesn't make any sense, if the store was built in compliance with the standards of the local building code. I suppose she could sue the municipality, since it is its responsibility to create and enforce the building code.

P.S.: I ran a rural emergency department in Canada for 3 years, and for seeing this patient, I would have been paid about $50. X-rays would have been another $100, and the hospital's fee (if the patient were from out of the country and therefore had no insurance) would have been about $100. I suppose if the injury had been so severe that it caused a loss of consciousness (further bringing into question the veracity of the claim that the damage was caused by walking into a stationary pane of glass), an MRI of the head may have cost another $1000, plus another $200 for x-rays of the neck. Of course, American medical costs may be higher than those in Canada, but $75k could pay for a complete skull and facial reconstruction, along with a month in hospital to recover.

smallnshort247
Mar 26, 2012, 01:54 AM
I guess AppleCare+ doesn't cover broken noses :rolleyes:

Matthew Yohe
Mar 26, 2012, 01:54 AM
Dumb broads like this and their frivolous lawsuits are what drive prices up all the time. It's not like glass doors are a futuristic phenomenon that has eluded mankind for generations until brought forth by the Apple empire. Get a clue dips hit.

Do they expect the absence of doors?

Wirelessly posted

Darwinism at work.

Darwin.

That is all

This woman is 83. Methinks you guys don't actually understand why people say "Darwin."

wikus
Mar 26, 2012, 01:55 AM
Unreasonably high temperatures according to who? The National Coffee Association recommends coffee be brewed at between 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction and drunk immediately. If not drunk immediately, it should be maintained at 180-185 degrees Fahrenheit.

I read it and still consider it frivolous. Why in the world would she be stupid enough to put a hot coffee between her laps instead of a safer location? Really no different from the 83-year old failing to see the glass. Just stupid actions on their part.

Go to google.com and search for Stella Liebeck under pictures and check out her burns.

After looking at the pictures, I'm having second thoughts....

griz
Mar 26, 2012, 01:57 AM
Wirelessly posted

In other news, she returned to buy an iPad and broke her nose a second time while reading the superfine text in Safari.

Reach
Mar 26, 2012, 01:58 AM
This woman is 83. Methinks you guys don't actually understand why people say "Darwin."

Age alone doesn't really mean she is one of the fittest. We would have to know if she has reproduced.

JayLenochiniMac
Mar 26, 2012, 01:58 AM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/H93fR.gif)

Ran through the glass with the horizontal marker at eye level and it's not even someone old.

phonitron
Mar 26, 2012, 01:59 AM
There is so much glare, it's not even like the kinda glass on car windows/backyard doors.

That reflections on that glass remind me of something... Oh yeah, the imac that i had to sell because of the reflections from that glassy glossy screen!

Broph
Mar 26, 2012, 02:00 AM
I literally spat out my drink and pissed myself laughing when I saw the title.... God I had such a hilarious image in my head....

Yep, I'm going to hell.

Matthew Yohe
Mar 26, 2012, 02:01 AM
Age alone doesn't really mean she is one of the fittest. We would have to know if she has reproduced.

Adding you to the list.

gpsouza
So... I'm going to us right now to throw myself in some glass pane... Dunno which company...
See y'all in the court room, bye!

Sol
I wonder if this woman's health insurance covers the injuries sustained in the accident. If not, she is probably suing Apple in an effort to pay for her treatment knowing that her settlement will be far less than what she is asking for now. These are the lengths people will go to when they do not have a social safety net.

Richdmoore
Mar 26, 2012, 02:03 AM

My favorite lawyer! :D

For those who don't know what we are talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLvZJb7jcg&

gpsouza
I literally spat out my drink and pissed myself laughing when I saw the title.... God I had such a hilarious image in my head....

Yep, I'm going to hell.

Sue your body for choking.

faroZ06
If you stand me up on a date...

If you deliver my pizza... 30 SECONDS LATE....

I'M GONNA SUE, SUE, YES I'M GONNA SUE!
SUE, SUE, YEAH THAT'S WHAT I'M GONNA DO!

Ah, Weird Al's songs fit in with so many situations.

bigsexyy81
Mar 26, 2012, 02:04 AM
Good Lord almighty...

$75k +$1 mil... :rolleyes:

If this case gets more than five minutes in the courtroom without the judge throwing it down the toilet it will be an outrage.

Michael Scrip
Mar 26, 2012, 02:05 AM
The article said she hit the glass door. So... was she planning on going into the Apple Store?

And... has she never been to this particular Apple store before?

Many Apple Stores have walls and doors made of glass (and other businesses do too!!!)

The expectation is that there will be some kind of door you have to open to enter the business. But even if you can't see a door... shouldn't you be a little more careful just in case it's an invisible door made out of glass?

The fact that she hit the door is interesting...

The glass door is only 6 feet across... while the rest of the glass storefront is 60 feet of non-door.

If she noticed the entire storefront was glass... and she carefully aimed for the one part of the glass that is designated as doors... maybe she should have checked to see if the doors were open or not...

Looking at the picture below... you can see that Apple puts things behind the non-door parts of the glass walls.

The only part they don't put anything is the doors themselves. I guess those big chrome handles aren't big enough to say "hey, these are doors!"

http://i.imgur.com/Y9o6j.jpg

iMikeT
Mar 26, 2012, 02:06 AM
Another reason to hate old people...

Hopefully this old lady doesn't have a driver's license.

faroZ06
Mar 26, 2012, 02:06 AM
Absolutely. Consider it delayed Natural Selection; it's really a wonder she was able to survive 83 years with such little sense.

In America, any idiot can survive, sadly.

Reach
Mar 26, 2012, 02:07 AM
Adding you to the list.

Please explain, then, why Darwin is not about differential reproduction.

faroZ06
Mar 26, 2012, 02:08 AM
The article said she hit the glass door. So... was she planning on going into the Apple Store?

Many Apple Stores have walls and doors made of glass (and other businesses do too!!!)

The expectation is that there will be some kind of door you have to open to enter the business. But even if you can't see a door... shouldn't you be a little more careful just in case it's an invisible door made out of glass?

The glass door is only 6 feet across... while the rest of the glass storefront is 60 feet of non-door.

If she noticed the entire storefront was glass... and she carefully aimed for the one part of the glass that is designated as doors... maybe she should have checked to see if the doors were open or not...

Looking at the picture below... you can see that Apple puts things behind the non-door parts of the glass walls.

The only part they don't put anything is the doors themselves. I guess those big chrome handles aren't big enough to say "hey, these are doors!"

Image (http://i.imgur.com/Y9o6j.jpg)

Yep, the story makes no sense. Also, how would an 83-year-old be moving fast enough to cause enough injury to herself to cost $75K?

scootaru
Mar 26, 2012, 02:12 AM
If I'd been the store manager, I would have hoped to have it dealt with there and then by offering her something fairly decent free of charge as a goodwill gesture.

Under the right circumstances, where our attention is elsewhere things like this can happen. But clearly, that is a ridiculous amount

Very bad move. Doing something like that, even if as a goodwill gesture, is like admitting fault. You would be setting yourself up for possibly more damages if the person thought your goodwill gesture was not enough.

SchneiderMan
Mar 26, 2012, 02:15 AM
So she just saw floating white lines?

anim8or
Mar 26, 2012, 02:16 AM
When I was in the apple store I couldn't find the stairs cos they were made of glass... I had forgotten how I managed to get up to the first floor and wanted to leave so badly... Do I jumped over the edge and broke my legs... I think I am gonna sue apple... Whaddyathink???

Sounds dumb doesn't it... So does this woman's story!

tortex
Mar 26, 2012, 02:18 AM
Silly bint. I bet she bred too, meaning more of them are walking around not able to avoid walking into things normal people can happily avoid.

varera
Mar 26, 2012, 02:20 AM
i bet apple wins

Fandongo

Apple should destroy her in court... Then donate triple that to the old people receptacles near her residency, with the stipulation that she be banned from all amenities on the premise.

Maybe it's time?

Hahaha!:D

Sol
Mar 26, 2012, 02:21 AM
My favorite lawyer! :D

For those who don't know what we are talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLvZJb7jcg&

Maybe she needs a bit of "attitude adjustment."

AppleScruff1
Mar 26, 2012, 02:26 AM
Another reason to hate old people...

Would you feel the same way about your mother too? :rolleyes:

B777Forevar
Mar 26, 2012, 02:27 AM
Suing over something stupid like this?

God I love my country.

AppleScruff1
Mar 26, 2012, 02:28 AM
Apple should destroy her in court... Then donate triple that to the old people receptacles near her residency, with the stipulation that she be banned from all amenities on the premise.

Apple wouldn't be defending themselves in court. Their insurance company would.

locust76
Mar 26, 2012, 02:28 AM

It's America...

Rodimus Prime
Mar 26, 2012, 02:29 AM
Yep, the story makes no sense. Also, how would an 83-year-old be moving fast enough to cause enough injury to herself to cost $75K?

Well lets go on a few assumtion. First off she is old and as such her bones are much weaker.

She could easily of hit the door hard enough to break her nose. This followed by her neck getting injured by the wipe lash of the head being bent back.

Now the real damage comes from the rebound off the glass causing her to fall down where she could of easily broke her hip.

i0Nic
Mar 26, 2012, 02:33 AM
Back to the nursing home you go, crazy lady.

Only in America.

Lennholm
Mar 26, 2012, 02:37 AM

Lol, "Warning, this glass is transparent" made me think of "SILENT ALARM ACTIVATED!"

That said, not seeing a clear, clean wall of glass has nothing to do with intelligence.

carmenodie
Mar 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
Wirelessly posted

I bet she didn't run into the ********** glass wall trying to get inside.
This is a set up.

doboy
Mar 26, 2012, 02:44 AM
Nowadays, it's never your own fault. Sad. :o

ninadpchaudhari
Mar 26, 2012, 02:45 AM
I read she was 83 yrs old ...
was she running or something ! that a collision caused her nose to get broken :D

Lareson
Mar 26, 2012, 02:47 AM
This whole story baffles me. I mean, I know she's 83 years old and I know how fragile the human body is at that age, but c'mon, $75k for a nose repair and asking for up to $1mil for the lawsuit?

Article doesn't state anywhere that something else broke, which at most would have probably been a broken hip, at most, if she fell. That price sounds about right for a hip replacement, which I have heard rough estimates of $50k for everything from the surgery, hospital stay, therapy to whatever else you need. She would have had to pay a large majority of that out of pocket to even count towards a lawsuit.

More than likely this is her next of kin asking for the lawsuit and she's going along with it so they don't have to pay her bills, if she did pay this out of pocket, they'll be paying for it long after she's gone.

Bisz
Mar 26, 2012, 02:49 AM
Wow.

I don't care about glass doors, frivolous lawsuits, nose jobs or who wins a million dollars in court, what I do care about is that the level of abuse and vitriol levelled in this thread is truly disgusting.

There are many problems with the US, and an overabundance of litigation is certainly one of them, but the complete lack of empathy and respect for human dignity displayed in this thread is a much bigger one.

I'm disgusted.

usptact
Mar 26, 2012, 02:50 AM
When such cases and plaintifs will be considered as fraud?

TopToffee
Mar 26, 2012, 02:52 AM
Wow.

I don't care about glass doors, frivolous lawsuits, nose jobs or who wins a million dollars in court, what I do care about is that the level of abuse and vitriol levelled in this thread is truly disgusting.

There are many problems with the US, and an overabundance of litigation is certainly one of them, but the complete lack of empathy and respect for human dignity displayed in this thread is a much bigger one.

I'm disgusted.

http://candobetter.net/files/high-horse.jpg

LFMNX
Mar 26, 2012, 02:55 AM
I wonder if she was going to buy an iPad ? That perceived depth on the icons could be dangerous.

celo48
Mar 26, 2012, 02:58 AM
Next time I go to the Apple store, I will hit myself to the window then sue. Easy money.

Bisz
Mar 26, 2012, 02:59 AM
Image (http://candobetter.net/files/high-horse.jpg)

Well thought out and compelling response. I commend your argument and cede my point.

Winni
Mar 26, 2012, 02:59 AM

Yes, and lawsuits like that are only possible in the USA. That says a lot about your country, its legal system and the average IQ of its population.

locust76
Mar 26, 2012, 03:01 AM
Image (http://candobetter.net/files/high-horse.jpg)

http://cloud.huttnet.com/apps/files_sharing/get.php?token=4d9752a491a53898d88139dce3b71b0a8f84c17f

Icaras
I hope she loses hard and also loses money in the process.

Reach
Wow.

I'm disgusted.

I think most people would feel sorry for an old lady that hurt herself. That sympathy vanishes rather quickly when she gets up and demands a million dollars+ for making a mistake.

I honestly don't think there is any problem with people finding this whole thing rather ridiculous, and making fun of both the lady and the system - the lady for trying to exploit the system and the system for being rather silly if this kind of abuse is actually possible (which it may not be, she may get nowhere in court).

jerrykim16
Mar 26, 2012, 03:04 AM
Wow... get some glasses old guy

wikus
Mar 26, 2012, 03:05 AM

Yeah, that sounds like something Apple would do.

jerrykim16
Mar 26, 2012, 03:05 AM
This whole story baffles me. I mean, I know she's 83 years old and I know how fragile the human body is at that age, but c'mon, $75k for a nose repair and asking for up to $1mil for the lawsuit?

Article doesn't state anywhere that something else broke, which at most would have probably been a broken hip, at most, if she fell. That price sounds about right for a hip replacement, which I have heard rough estimates of $50k for everything from the surgery, hospital stay, therapy to whatever else you need. She would have had to pay a large majority of that out of pocket to even count towards a lawsuit.

More than likely this is her next of kin asking for the lawsuit and she's going along with it so they don't have to pay her bills, if she did pay this out of pocket, they'll be paying for it long after she's gone.

well who cares if that grandma wins... besides Apple has got loads of cash

graafisk
Mar 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
Holy depth-perception, Batman! Imagine if she'd managed to get inside an Apple store with a downward-spiral glass staircase... :p

Smigit
Mar 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
I think most people would feel sorry for an old lady that hurt herself. That sympathy vanishes rather quickly when she gets up and demands a million dollars+ for making a mistake.

I honestly don't think there is any problem with people finding this whole thing rather ridiculous, and making fun of both the lady and the system - the lady for trying to exploit the system and the system for being rather silly if this kind of abuse is actually possible (which it may not be, she may get nowhere in court).
Couldn't have said it better

camsoft
Mar 26, 2012, 03:10 AM
Being from outside America I find this story to be quite unbelievable. The US legal system just seems to one big joke.

The fact that anyone could sue and find a lawyer that would take on a case to sue $75000+1m for walking into a glass door incredible.

I would get laughed at if I tried to do this in the UK. I'm not sure any lawyer would take my case and I'm sure it would be thrown out of the courts instantly.

sinser
Mar 26, 2012, 03:11 AM
Wow.

I'm disgusted.

I'm sad to say that I agree. Didn't expect that Apple fanatism could be such a bad thing :-(

davidjearly
Mar 26, 2012, 03:14 AM
Wow.

I'm disgusted.

You forgot to put '\sarcasm' at the end of your post.

erio
Mar 26, 2012, 03:16 AM
That picture is actually a good example of how someone can accidentally hit the door.

For instance, you and a friend are walking along the side of the Apple Store. Because of the new retina display on your iPad, you kept on talking on and on about how wonderful it is without looking where you're heading. Next thing you know… SMACK! Oops, there's goes your brand new iPad, and your friend got a good laugh! :D

Trust me, I've had my fair share of bumping onto things because I wasn't looking. One time, I collided with another person because we were both texting… HAHAHA! :p

Honestly, all the Apple Stores I've seen have their doors open inward; your picture is the first I've seen with doors open outward. Anyhow, the lawsuit is ridiculous because people are not watching where they're going.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/Y9o6j.jpg)

TopToffee
Mar 26, 2012, 03:23 AM
Well thought out and compelling response. I commend your argument and cede my point.

Excellent :)

Xtremehkr
Mar 26, 2012, 03:28 AM
Wirelessly posted

This is incredibly stupid, even an octegarian should know that a retail store isn't going to be missing a front wall, even if it is made of glass there's a reasonable expectation that there will be some kind of barrier to entry there. Apple stores close at some point and they can't very well keep people out without a fourth wall.

Besides the displays which perhaps he thought you have to walk through to get inside, not very likely.

Lennholm
Mar 26, 2012, 03:30 AM
Darwin.

That is all

Hey, your post gave me an idea on how to solve the problem of the overpopulating of the world; let's randomly place death traps throughout the world and all the stupids will be killed off while the IQ-elite, such as yourself, will outsmart the traps and live on.
Does that sound like a good idea to you?

NikiPod
Mar 26, 2012, 03:31 AM
Wirelessly posted

Surely you'd accept that it was your fault? I swear people sue over anything nowadays.

William.Mantle
Mar 26, 2012, 03:33 AM
Excellent :)

You're acting rather silly