Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndersHP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
I have a bit of a frustrating issue on my iOS devices and Mac;

My father is called Gert (scandinavian name, don't laugh :) ), and I've added him to my contact list as Papa Gert as his firstname and that's it.

But for some odd reason, he keeps popping up like Papa Gert Gert, like this:
First name: Papa Gert
Last name: Gert

I keep swiping the "last name" part, but it just keeps coming back. I've even tried erasing it on my Mac, iPhone and on iCloud simultaneously, but it still just pops back a short while after..

How come it just doesn't affect all my devices when I make a change to a contactperson, no matter the device?

jonnyback

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
London, UK
Hi,

Yes, I have this same problem. I personally think that is has something to do with various versions of the same 'name' on your systems.

For example I kept un-marrying my wife as her surname returned to her maiden name every so often!

I deleted other instances of her on my Mac. The culprit in my case was in Mail. She had her maiden name as her surname in the address book inside Mail.

This solved the surname changing every so often. But it did not completely cure the re-appearing surnames.

Another thing to check is that on syncing names onto iCloud. In a few cases it moved a surname to a middle name. And on merging names it would leave you with a surname and middle name so you'd get two surnames. I think that looking at this for Papa Gert Gert may help.

I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.