PDA

View Full Version : LOVE Air Video!

Wrathwitch
Mar 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
I just got the 3rd Gen ATV this Friday, and while it's nice that I can access iTunes, I don't have MUCH on iTunes to stream.

Thank the developer for Air Video. Now I can access video content from any chosen hard drive on my iMac and stream it through my ATV!

It even seems to include the codex for my anime which all have subtitles!!

LOVE IT!!

Now I won't have to JB my ATV!!

erpetao
Mar 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
What tool do you use in your iMac to stream to your apple tv?

Wrathwitch
Mar 26, 2012, 11:21 AM

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

Basically you use the home server on your iMac or Macbook, then you purchase the app for either your iPhone or iPod touch or iPad. App is only 2.99

Then in the options in your iMac, you choose the directories/folders/drives that you want the streaming content to come from.

I am not 100% sure that ATV is required, but I do know that I use it to watch media on my TV.

You just run it off the App. (the choices you put from the computer should show as soon as you open the app). The one thing that wasn't clear at first to me though, is when I looked at the app, I didn't realize that I have to swipe to the left until you see the controls for the music player and activate the Air Play feature to initialize it. Once you do that, if you choose mirroring, everything you see on your iPad you see on your tv.

It's pretty cool so far. I may come across some of my older anime that it might not live encode and stream, but so far it is working wonderfully.

BuddyRich
Mar 26, 2012, 07:10 PM
How does it work with the ATV?

Does the server see the ATV as a device to send to, or do you need the client on an iPhone/iPad to play and then mirror to a TV via Air Mirroring or can you send it straight to the ATV?

Is it possible to send 1080p/DD5.1 to the ATV via the server?

If the above is true, this would basically be a viable transcoding solution for the AppleTV along the lines TVersity or PS3Media server ala DLNA.

brettO5
Mar 26, 2012, 07:20 PM
Sounds like he means stream the video to an iPad via Airvideo and then mirror the iPad to ATV. You've been able to do this since mirroring was released but it's a very convoluted way to go about it.

Cheers, Brett

weaponofgod
Mar 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
I would like to see something similar to this but that would let me stream video playing on a website like cbs.com from my iMac to my Apple tv. I read about this app called air server, but it sounds more like this app, then what I'm looking for.

BuddyRich
Mar 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
Well I downloaded the free version and tested and it's not mirroring. While you can use it with mirroring, when the video starts it sends it to the atv directly via AirPlay. It sees the atv as an airplay devic and you can select it as the output device.

Only gotcha is limited to max of 720p and no DD5.1 yet.

Supposedly both are coming but they are basically reverse engineering AirPlay to get it to work.

Very slick and fast. Uses Ffmpeg to convert on the fly. Even using it over 3G to an iPhone it works well with 384kbps profile. Definitely worth the app price.

tctony
Mar 27, 2012, 02:35 PM

Use AirFlick. Uses the AirVideo server to AirPlay straight from your Mac to your aTV.