Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Hey everyone, already my G5 is having problems... And I'm seriously worried it's a logic board problem.

I received the machine with Tiger installed, I tried for around an hour getting it just to boot-up. Turns out I had to re-seat the RAM.

Then I cloned my eMac hard drive on to my G5 (is it okay to clone a G4 HDD onto a G5)?

I booted up fine first time with Leopard installed but when I touched (literally touched) the plastic air baffle, everything froze (hard drive just stopped spinning, the fans were still spinning). I tried to boot up again & no luck, no video on the monitor, the monitor stayed on standby, it didn't even flash & tell me to check my video cable. After re-seating the RAM again I managed to boot up again. And it froze again.

I've also noticed that the bottom hard drive bay doesn't work in the slightest.

I've managed to get it booted up multiple times by re-seating the RAM.

It seems it's very sensitive to pretty much anything (putting the door back on is a no-go as it causes the G5 to freeze. 50% of the time plugging something in the USB port causes it to freeze.)

I'm hoping it's faulty RAM &/or hard drive, but I need confirmation.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.