PDA

View Full Version : MBA vs MBP 2012

christophermdia
Mar 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
HAvent been on the MBA forums in a while, so sorry if this is a repeat Q....would the release of a 13" MBP slim spell the end for a 13" MBA? I mean, if specs are better and thin-ness is somewhat but not quite comparable, who would get the MBA? Would apple consider a 10" and 12" MBA? with 13 & 15 being MBP?

yanksrock100
Mar 26, 2012, 11:28 PM
hmmm...the end of the 13 inch air? I dont think so.

MAYBE a merging of the 13 inch air and pro..........but if not that, I personally think that there will be a 13 inch air and 13 inch pro.

I know that the 13 inch pro will get better specs, but they arent leaving the macbook air at the same specs as right now!!

I can tell you that there will be a significant jump in specs with both models this year. Maybe more the pro, maybe more with the airs, but who knows?

I guess we will just have to wait and see.:apple:

KohPhiPhi
Mar 27, 2012, 05:35 AM
Quite frankly, I would not be surprised if they merged the 13" models (MBP and MBA) now that it seems that Apple will remove the DVD drive from the MBP family and will be probably moving to SSD over traditional HD, which will allow them to thin out the MBP case.

Assuming they do indeed remove the DVD and the HD... well, it would be kind of difficult to justify marketing two different 13" models that overlap each other so closely.

njean777
Mar 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
I can see a merging happening and just getting rid of the 13in pro, but IDK what they are going to do yet.

mcman77
Mar 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
Personally I feel the Air is more likely to be pro-i-ied. It will get a little thicker etc.

rockyroad55
Mar 30, 2012, 04:06 PM
I can see the 13" Pro fading away for the Air to take its place. But, the 15 and 17 MBP will remain as the heavyweights.

charlieegan3
Mar 30, 2012, 04:07 PM
Personally I feel the Air is more likely to be pro-i-ied. It will get a little thicker etc.

I think the pro will change more than the air this year. They will keep the superthin air form factor, people like that.

Risasi
Mar 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
I've been thinking for almost a year the MBP 13 was going to be retired, but now I'm really hoping they keep it around.

stockscalper
Mar 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
I don't think the Pro will necessarily get better specs if they make the body form thinner. The thinness with its accompanying heat issues has been what has caused the gap in hardware between the Air and Pro up til now. It would make sense for Apple to merge the line and with the new improved cpu's coming out the Air will be a strong candidate.

rockyroad55
Mar 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
I don't think the Pro will necessarily get better specs if they make the body form thinner. The thinness with its accompanying heat issues has been what has caused the gap in hardware between the Air and Pro up til now. It would make sense for Apple to merge the line and with the new improved cpu's coming out the Air will be a strong candidate.

They need to improve the resolution of the screen if they keep the 13" Pro around.

Yggbert
Mar 31, 2012, 03:23 AM
The 13" Pro in its current form is ridiculous. 1280x800 in 2011? Pro? Come on.

Can't believe people buy that model. It needs to go or match the 13" Air in resolution, why it doesn't already is a bit weird.

NutsNGum
Mar 31, 2012, 06:16 AM

Can't believe people buy that model. It needs to go or match the 13" Air in resolution, why it doesn't already is a bit weird.

There's speculation about 2880x1800 in the next 13" Pro, if that was the case, I'd jump all over it.

mcman77
Mar 31, 2012, 01:41 PM
I think the pro will change more than the air this year. They will keep the superthin air form factor, people like that.

True but there is more than looks. I'm talking about ultra low voltage cpus (basically slow arse CPU) I reckon they won't be in the pros or at least the high end will be true mobile CPUs.

KohPhiPhi
Mar 31, 2012, 01:52 PM

I totally agree. Does anyone have a clue as of why Apple decided to bump the resolution on the Air is 2010, but the Pro is still kept at the same old ultra-outdated resolution nearly 2 years later?!?? Any official info on this move? It makes no sense whatsoever!!!

Scepticalscribe
Mar 31, 2012, 02:49 PM
HAvent been on the MBA forums in a while, so sorry if this is a repeat Q....would the release of a 13" MBP slim spell the end for a 13" MBA? I mean, if specs are better and thin-ness is somewhat but not quite comparable, who would get the MBA? Would apple consider a 10" and 12" MBA? with 13 & 15 being MBP?

I would. And no, as things stand, the release of a thinner 13" MBP would not, spell the end of the MBA; the reverse, if anything.

At present, it has three features which make it hugely attractive to someone such as myself. Firstly, it is exceedingly portable - and, as I travel a lot, this matters. Secondly, there is the excellent screen resolution - much better at present than that offered by the 13" MBP. And thirdly, there is the gratifyingly fast SSD (I used to have a 15" MBP and it lagged when compared to the MBA).

I can see the 13" Pro fading away for the Air to take its place. But, the 15 and 17 MBP will remain as the heavyweights.

I agree with you. This is what I would envisage happening, as well. ;)

yano729
Mar 31, 2012, 03:21 PM
In a far far place a long time ago, the 13 inch laptops were called MacBooks and the 15inch and 17inch were called MacbookPros. I could see them going back to that and make the 11 inch and 13 inch just MacBooks and the 17 and 15 MacbookPros.

Maybe I could hold out hope that they release a thin 13inch with a retina screen in a black case, so I can replace my current blackbook with the new one.

Risasi
Mar 31, 2012, 06:29 PM
If the new MBA 11" has 6 hours of battery and an option for 8GB of memory, I'm going to have a very tough decision to make.

mcman77
Apr 1, 2012, 02:16 AM
In a far far place a long time ago, the 13 inch laptops were called MacBooks and the 15inch and 17inch were called MacbookPros. I could see them going back to that and make the 11 inch and 13 inch just MacBooks and the 17 and 15 MacbookPros.

Maybe I could hold out hope that they release a thin 13inch with a retina screen in a black case, so I can replace my current blackbook with the new one.

I can see something like this happening too!

Just not sure if the ipad will be the 'macbook' of back then and the rest will be just macbook 'pros'

If the new MBA 11" has 6 hours of battery and an option for 8GB of memory, I'm going to have a very tough decision to make.

there are laptops with 10+ hours batter life (netbooks)

Risasi
Apr 1, 2012, 06:31 AM
I can see something like this happening too!

Just not sure if the ipad will be the 'macbook' of back then and the rest will be just macbook 'pros'

there are laptops with 10+ hours batter life (netbooks)

Generally speaking, netbooks are a piece of garbage. Sub-standard CPU, leftover parts, they're slow, cheap chassis build. For their size they can still be pretty heavy. I've literally seen some of the HP's fall apart (the last batch of 10 for one company had a 40% failure rate). I only have one client left where I will deal with netbooks, and they are right on the bubble of me saying no.
You see, they end up costing ME money. Why should I have to fiddle around for hours trying to get HP, or ASUS, etc. to give me an RMA on yet another failed computer that costs all of $85 to make? Yet the vendors still can't make any money on them, which is evidenced by the fact that some have stopped making them (and more will follow). They are throwaway computers.

For crying out loud, Verizon has been GIVING them away. That should tell you something. I would rather buy used X60, X61 or X200's off of ebay and use them. Probably get longer life and a better user experience.

Supa_Fly
Apr 1, 2012, 11:03 AM

I've used the 2011 MBA 13" Ultimate for almost 5mths solid as my primary machine.

it's benefits: ultra light portability, decent cpu power (excitedly unexpected), and the 1440x900 resolution.

I recently switched to the 13" MBP - and UNLESS these features come down to a MBA type body it'll STILL survive even with lacklustre internal resolution:

2.8Ghz Core i7 Dual-Core CPU: Hyper up to 3.6Ghz!! (it starts where MBA tops)
Expandable RAM: 16GB is supported! (So Pro: Audio/Visual Pro apps)
Reasonable price on expandable HDD! ($450-700CAN for 450-500GB SSD SATA3) - MBA: internal SSDs capable of moving data at up to 200MB/s only)
Higher external resolution
Faster Thunderbolt port (full 10Gb/s Quad channel; Air has only dual channel 10Gb/s); I won't see this using the low end LaCie TB HD but on a TB-RAID setup I would.

pricing for SSD ugprade, and ability to upgrade RAM alone made this a no brainer at $50 before taxes (CAN) and I get a 750GB 5200RPM HDD to begin with. (BTW, that hard drive blows chunks; with SSD the MBA only has resolution beating the MBP).

KohPhiPhi
Apr 1, 2012, 01:49 PM

My main grip with the MBA 11" was the battery life and the low resolution. They really need to work on those two elements for 2012.

Risasi
Apr 1, 2012, 02:05 PM
I've used the 2011 MBA 13" Ultimate for almost 5mths solid as my primary machine.

it's benefits: ultra light portability, decent cpu power (excitedly unexpected), and the 1440x900 resolution.

I recently switched to the 13" MBP - and UNLESS these features come down to a MBA type body it'll STILL survive even with lacklustre internal resolution:

2.8Ghz Core i7 Dual-Core CPU: Hyper up to 3.6Ghz!! (it starts where MBA tops)
Expandable RAM: 16GB is supported! (So Pro: Audio/Visual Pro apps)
Reasonable price on expandable HDD! ($450-700CAN for 450-500GB SSD SATA3) - MBA: internal SSDs capable of moving data at up to 200MB/s only)
Higher external resolution
Faster Thunderbolt port (full 10Gb/s Quad channel; Air has only dual channel 10Gb/s); I won't see this using the low end LaCie TB HD but on a TB-RAID setup I would.

pricing for SSD ugprade, and ability to upgrade RAM alone made this a no brainer at $50 before taxes (CAN) and I get a 750GB 5200RPM HDD to begin with. (BTW, that hard drive blows chunks; with SSD the MBA only has resolution beating the MBP).

I currently have the base model early 2011 13" MBP w/ 120GB SSD. And I really do like it, but I also have it sold. Transfer of ownership by August. They are buying it with the original HDD for $1050, warranty through March 2014. I can obtain too much money from my current rig it seems silly not to upgrade one more time before being content for the next 2-4 years.
This is the reason I'm looking, and the reason this topic interests me.

With that being said, if I still get the same feature set of the MBP 13" as the 2011 models (disk upgradeability, running SSD+HDD, memory upgradeability), then I will probably get the 2012 model and load it up with my current SSD+HDD and 8GB of memory.

Toying with my wife's 13" MBA a little this weekend, I'll take the Pro every time. But then, I reviewed the 11" MBA again. If it had a little more power/battery, and an option for more memory I'll have a hard time talking myself out of it.
For work I might be at 6-15 different locations in a typical week. This is where the 11" has it's appeal.

So right now it's down to an 11" MBA (with 6-8GB of memory) or the new 13" Pro (assuming there is one).

My main grip with the MBA 11" was the battery life and the low resolution. They really need to work on those two elements for 2012.

From my reading on the matter I think with Ivy Bridge the CPU will be about 20% more efficient in power usage. That is why I anticipate about 6 hours of battery for the 11" MBA and 8.5+ for the 13" MBA, and the Pro models.

That leaves screen. For me a 13" MBP screen is already a concession. Almost every work day I'm connected to servers and user workstations, some of them running dual 1080p monitors. I realized the 11" isn't much worse, and I intend to plop a 22" or larger monitor at the key offices where I frequently find myself. Thus the appeal of the 11" MBA. For digging through code and scripts, etc. I've come from the X series of Thinkpads. I'm used to working on that kind of stuff on a 12" screen for the past decade. A 2 1/4lb with that much power is hard to ignore.
We'll see. I'm afraid I will have to until at least June before the models I'm interested in will be available.

halledise
Apr 1, 2012, 03:01 PM
I see:
11" and 13" Airs with Intel 4000 HD integrated graphics.
14" and/or 15" plus the 17" MBPro - all with hi-res display standard, dedicated graphics card, and with more grunt than the Airs.

Risasi
Apr 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
Hmm, I wonder. What about a 13" 16:9 screen, stuffed into the current 11" MBA chassis?

- 11" MBA w/ 1600x900 13" screen
- 5.5 - 6.5 hours battery life
- option for 6GB or 8GB of memory
- HD 4000 graphics on a 1.7ghz dual core Ivy Bridge chip.
- just make sure TB and USB 3.0 are on there
- wireless air card ready
---------
$1300 - $1500

Feasable? And would you buy?

P.S. I'm guessing this might be a little difficult to achieve an extra hour of battery life, trying to drive a 13" screen off of an 11" MBA's current battery.

Skoopman
Apr 3, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hmm, I wonder. What about a 13" 16:9 screen, stuffed into the current 11" MBA chassis?

---------
$1300 - $1500

P.S. I'm guessing this might be a little difficult to achieve an extra hour of battery life, trying to drive a 13" screen off of an 11" MBA's current battery.

You know the 13" display would draw a lot more power than a 11"? I don't see the 5+ hours battery life happening that way unless Apple did some magic with the new batteries.

KohPhiPhi
Apr 3, 2012, 08:36 AM

---------
$1300 - $1500

I dont think you can squeeze a 13" into the 11" chassis, but you can certainly make it 12" into the current 11", and 14" into the current 13".

And yes, I would buy the specs you listed in a heartbeat, specially if it's in the shape of the 11" chassis.

Risasi
Apr 3, 2012, 04:49 PM
You know the 13" display would draw a lot more power than a 11"? I don't see the 5+ hours battery life happening that way unless Apple did some magic with the new batteries.

Uh, yeah. That was in my P.S.
Need to figure out what the battery life would be, but I'll bet it's bad enough it's not worth doing.

EDIT: I found it; 35w hour for the 11" battery vs 50w hour for the 13" battery. That makes me wonder what the power draw would be on a 13" screen, might not be as bad as I thought. Maccrazy has an article where they claim 25% more power draw on the 13" screen. With a more efficient IB CPU that probably works out to be just a slight loss in runtime.

----------

I dont think you can squeeze a 13" into the 11" chassis, but you can certainly make it 12" into the current 11", and 14" into the current 13".

And yes, I would buy the specs you listed in a heartbeat, specially if it's in the shape of the 11" chassis.

Well, it could work on paper. The 13" MBA is 16:10, whereas the current 11" is 16:9. But I woke up this morning and almost immediately realized the big hang up must be power. Battery life is a balancing act.

MR1324
Apr 3, 2012, 08:31 PM
nope, there is a clear market for slim ultraportable laptops. intel has bet hundreds of millions on it, so i don't think a slimmer mbp will have any effect on the mba.

stockscalper
Apr 17, 2012, 09:44 AM
They need to improve the resolution of the screen if they keep the 13" Pro around.

Wouldn't it be great to see a retina screen in a 13" laptop?

monkeybongo
Apr 17, 2012, 10:34 AM
Although if they did merge the 13" air and pro, I'm curious on how they would prioritize the thinness, functionality and speed?

Would they just cancel the pro and use the air form factor as thin as possible? Or would they give a little extra thickness for cpu, ports and battery?

My guess, they'll take the air and include a spec upgrade to fast processor and RAM and cancel the 13" pro straightout.

gentlefury
Apr 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
The 13" pro is completely redundant. I can def see the Pro line going thin tho! With the extra width there would be enough room for the discrete graphics card. The pros are just SO thick compared to the airs...its the next logical step!

Xgm541
Apr 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
Uh, yeah. That was in my P.S.
Need to figure out what the battery life would be, but I'll bet it's bad enough it's not worth doing.

EDIT: I found it; 35w hour for the 11" battery vs 50w hour for the 13" battery. That makes me wonder what the power draw would be on a 13" screen, might not be as bad as I thought. Maccrazy has an article where they claim 25% more power draw on the 13" screen. With a more efficient IB CPU that probably works out to be just a slight loss in runtime.

----------

Well, it could work on paper. The 13" MBA is 16:10, whereas the current 11" is 16:9. But I woke up this morning and almost immediately realized the big hang up must be power. Battery life is a balancing act.
The IB CPU's use the same 17W the c2d and SB processors use.

Risasi
Apr 17, 2012, 09:32 PM
The IB CPU's use the same 17W the c2d and SB processors use.

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/05/04/intel-reinvents-transistors-using-new-3-d-structure

polee
Apr 17, 2012, 10:03 PM
My take:

Mac Air may become smaller because of a reduction in the edges of the bezel around its screen, but the size of the display would remain at 13.3 inches. Macbook Pro may take the current form of the air with a thick bezel around its screen.

Macbook Air may have retina display whereas the pro may have one with and one without retina display.

Air may become sleeker with an improved battery life of perhaps 10 hours, whereas the pro would just have the standard 7 to 8 hours.

Everyone with an existing MBA would then want to get the new MBA 2012, and everyone with an existing MBPro would want the get the newer version.

PeterJP
Apr 18, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hi,

I also think the 13" pro will go the way of the dodo. Here are the current advantages of the 13" pro over the air:

1- optical drive
2- faster processor
3- user swappable memory & SSD
4- faster TB

Of these, 1 is rumoured to go and 3 is of no benefit whatsoever to Apple. So that would leave Apple basically with 2 semi-identical laptops: one with higher specs (faster processor and TB, possibility to sell a wider range of hard drives or SSDs) and another one with more fixed specs.

So either Apple kicks out the 13" pro and replaces it by the 13" Air, which should be plenty capable for 95% of current 13" pro users when it gets Ivy Bridge, more memory and a larger SSD. Or, Apple decides to keep the 13" pro but needs a new differentiator. Because I think it is most likely that all the Airs will get retina displays, the one thing that could differentiate is discrete graphics. There should be plenty of room to do this and to manage battery and heat with the ODD gone. The weird thing about this approach, though, is that the 13" pro would have to get a retina display if the Airs also get them. Otherwise, the 13" pro would still have a worse screen than the 13" Air. But I don't see Apple building 15" and 17" retinas, so that would leave the pro range as a mixed bag.

I don't know what will happen, but it seems most likely to me that the 13" pro will be retired for a better spec Air.

Peter.

neilpryde23
Apr 18, 2012, 01:21 PM
I don't think they're gonna get rid of the 13" MBP for the fact that it was introduced over a year AFTER the 13" MBA first came out. It does not seem very Apple-like to introduce a product for only 3 years and replace it with another product that was already in existence.

Xgm541
Apr 18, 2012, 01:48 PM
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/05/04/intel-reinvents-transistors-using-new-3-d-structure

As far as I know, and my knowledge in this is limited so do take me with a grain of salt, the current sandybridge i7 used in the mba is rated at 17W TDP (the lower model) while the higher model is rated at 25W. (http://ark.intel.com/products/54615/Intel-Core-i7-2657M-Processor-%284M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz%29)

And the new ivy bridge have the same 17W TDP.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/june_3_ivy_bridge_launch.jpg

Which means that my point is still valid as both SB and IB have the same TDP but as your article points out the performance vs tdp ratio is better in IB. But the battery requirements will likely not go down in the new model.

Again, this is my understanding and it may very well be incorrect.

Risasi
Apr 18, 2012, 02:43 PM
As far as I know, and my knowledge in this is limited so do take me with a grain of salt, the current sandybridge i7 used in the mba is rated at 17W TDP (the lower model) while the higher model is rated at 25W. (http://ark.intel.com/products/54615/Intel-Core-i7-2657M-Processor-%284M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz%29)

And the new ivy bridge have the same 17W TDP.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/june_3_ivy_bridge_launch.jpg)

Which means that my point is still valid as both SB and IB have the same TDP but as your article points out the performance vs tdp ratio is better in IB. But the battery requirements will likely not go down in the new model.

Again, this is my understanding and it may very well be incorrect.

TDP just has to do with thermal design limits.

With tri-gate 22nm vs the old 32nm technology we should see better efficiency when actually using the CPU. (i.e. it burns less juice to crunch some numbers than when doing the same on SB, it will also finish faster due to performance gains).
Take note, this is Intel claiming this, which isn't saying much with a long history of empty promises. However SB was real. It's amazing to me the balance of performance and efficiency found in that design.

Last night I measured power usage of my MBA 13" and my MBP 13", both Sandy Bridge, both running wifi, browser open. BT disabled. The MBP also has an OWC 120GB SSD.
- The device used to measure was a kill-a-watt with the corresponding power adapter plugged into it.
-At half bright the MBP was pulling 24-27w, the MBA was pulling 29-31w. At full bright the MBP jumped to 29-30w. The MBA went to 39-41w.

I can't really explain why my MBP was pulling less juice...

My point? At idle I think the screen definitely matters more than the CPU. When using it and actually burning CPU cycles you're using more power. Yeah, they probably won't realize a lot of extra battery life, under use I anticipate maybe an hour extra battery life on the 11", maybe an hour and a half for the 13's. Another possibility is they take the power savings and shrink the battery size a bit. 20% reduction in weight and size would be appealing, but I would take the extra battery.

I do know this, under typical business usage (for me), I get about 7.5-8 hours out of my MBP. About 6.5 out of the 13" MBA. And I haven't tested the 11" MBA thoroughly enough, about would guess I would get a solid 4-4.5 hours for my typical day. This is a couple notches about half-bright (depends on what office I find myself in that day).

Anyway, assuming there is still a 13" MBP this year it's going to be a contest between it and the 11" Air. If they find a way to sneak an extra hour into the 11" MBA I'm leaning heavily toward that.

yanksrock100
Apr 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
I love how the Airs look! In my opinion, its the best looking Laptop ever created. I dont care who you ask, it looks really damn nice.
I am getting a laptop at the end of this year. This year will be a big year for Mac's. Im hoping that the 13 inch air, by the end of the year, will get a higher (retina!) screen. Mountain Lion implements HiDPi mode, and with the iPad getting a higher resolution than a TV, Apple would be insane not to finally implement them in their Mac hardware as well! To be honest, we might see them in the Pros first, but by the end of the year, we will see them Across the entire Macbook line. With Ultrabooks getting better by the day, a Retina Screen is SURE to boost the Macbook air's sales.

Even if they put it in the Pro's first, we have no need to worry, because by the end of the year, Apple's Nicest Laptops will get the Retina Treatment as well ;)

As for the whole "no more 13 inch Pro" suggestions, I think that is a big possibility. The Macbook air has a better design than the Pros, which are thick compared to the Air. PLus with Ivy Bridge, a bigger battery, ect, the Air will be JUST as good as the Pro. Who would want a pro when the Air can be just as good? The Air is Cannibalizing the Pro's sales. Time to put an end to the Pro's misery, and let the 15 and 17 inch Pro's hold the "Professional" name

I dont think a refresh for the Airs are as close as the pros (which is rumored to be this Month!). The Airs will Probably get a spec bump with Ivy Bridge, (and hopefully retina) at the same Keynote that Mountain Lion is released.

Its time for the macs to get some special treatment!

joshuaginter
Apr 18, 2012, 07:40 PM

I think the reason people buy the 13" Pro currently is because of the lack of an 8GB+ RAM option on the Air. The 13" Pro is still relatively portable (for sure more so than the 15" Pro) and you have to jump up to the 15" Pro in order to get the better resolution screen. That is a huge increase in price and a decrease in portability.

Saturn1217
Apr 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
IMHO the 13inch Pro will stick around for at least a little while longer.

The main reason is that since Apple killed off the white macbook they really don't have any other general purpose budget computer except for the 13inch MBP.

Think about it. A college student or other person who wants ONE computer for everything and doesn't want to spend a fortune is probably looking at the 13inch MBP or a 13inch MBA.

The base model 13inch MBA is $100 more expensive that the Pro and offers only 128GB of storage which even for a general consumer is a little on the low side especially if this is your only computer. To get what might be considered only adequate storage you have to spend A LOT more. $1600 is no longer an entry level machine for a lot of people.

The 13inch MBP offers a flexible capable machine for a low price. I know Apple doesn't care too much about price sensitive customers but I think the reason why they were comfortable knocking off the white macbook was not because the MBA could be the new consumer computer but because they realized most people shopping for a white macbook would just as easily get a 13inch MBP and be just as happy. This is probably also why they have left the 1280x800 resolution the way it was.

The 13inch MBP is actually below the 13inch MBA in terms of "Pro-ness" (aka for the elite consumer) in Apple's mind. Until SSD prices get low enough to change this I think the 13inch MBP will stick around. Hopefully it drops the optical drive loses 0.5 lbs and retains large storage options. I still haven't decided which I value more - upgradable storage and ram or a super light computer...decisions decisions...