Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
CA
Anyone know how to install AirPort Utility 6.0? I need it to share my USB HD over the internet using my AirPort Extreme :/

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
No, I posted in the Mountain Lion forum :)

I was wondering if anyone was able to figure out how to install AirPort Utility 6.0 on Mountain Lion, not Lion. The installer won't let me install it on Mountain Lion. Maybe someone here found a way around that...

My bad - I guess you have a pre-release copy of it.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
CA
No not really, I go into this forum just out of curiosity!

Oh okay. Well I hope someone who has Mountain Lion and is smarter than me is able to figure out a way to get AirPort Utility 6.0 working on 10.8 DP2! :)

ac3320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
CA
It's to be hoped that Apple will put back the advanced features we lost last time around.

I hate the dumbed down version, but it should work fine in ML...as far as it works at all.

It works fine in 10.7.2+, but not in 10.8 DP2, at least. I can't remember if the AirPort Utility 6.0 update works in DP1 or not.

In DP2, AirPort Utility [5.whatever] launches on startup with error, "iCPW [blah] error." When you click the provided link to go to Software Update, App Store launches (of course), and cannot find any updates that are necessary.

In DP2, if you try to just do the manual download (link provided by random dude up above) and run the installer, it won't let you because it says "This version of OS X is unsupported, etc."

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
In DP2, if you try to just do the manual download (link provided by random dude up above) and run the installer, it won't let you because it says "This version of OS X is unsupported, etc."
Yep, I'm getting the same thing. Apparently, Apple doesn't want Mountain Lion to run it. Maybe we'll see support in DP 3.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
How to install airport utlity 6.0

My Airport Utility Runs fine in DP2? Just download it from the Apple Website and install it with Pacifist guys.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
CA
My Airport Utility Runs fine in DP2? Just download it from the Apple Website and install it with Pacifist guys.

Never heard of Pacifist. What's the deal? Do you use it to install everything you install or? Curious to know what it's all about! [OT]

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Never heard of Pacifist. What's the deal? Do you use it to install everything you install or? Curious to know what it's all about! [OT]

Pacifist is free, it basicly installs a .pkg/.mpkg even if its under requirements or unsupported OS.

I Only use it to install certain things such as this (Airport Utility 6.0) on ML, and I Also used it to install Final Cut Pro 7 a while back on a Powermac G5 when Apple Only allowed it to be installed on Intel, but it still could run on PPC as it had the code. Its just a small program/utility that comes in handy alot with me as I have PPC macs and Run BETA OS's like Mountain Lion when they are available. I Highly Recommend it, just open it and press the Open package button and select the .pkg you want to install and make sure that the Allow Administrator Privileges is checked so it installs correctly!

I Highly Recommend it: http://www.charlessoft.com/pacifist_screenshots/index.html / http://www.charlessoft.com/

ac3320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
CA
And a re-vamp? Fingers crossed...:)

I did a bunch of research tonight. AirPort Utility 5.6 for Lion is actually downloadable alongside AirPort Utility 6.0.

You can install them simultaneously (at least you can using Pacifist). 5.6 retains all the old stuff, but no iCloud support (just MobileMe). If you want iCloud Back to my Mac stuff, you have to go with 6.0.

Just in case anyone was wondering!

I hope DP3 brings back the stability of DP1. DP2 is less buggy, but is also more unstable (for me) compared with DP1. I have never had so many force logouts and crashes than with DP2, and I haven't been doing anything crazy.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I hope DP3 brings back the stability of DP1. DP2 is less buggy, but is also more unstable (for me) compared with DP1. I have never had so many force logouts and crashes than with DP2, and I haven't been doing anything crazy.
I'm glad to hear it's not just me with the logout issue. It's really annoying. When I was on the Lion dev previews last year DP 4 was the sweet spot. It was almost the same as the actual release. Mountain Lion DP 3 should be good.

thisisasticup

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
I'm glad to hear it's not just me with the logout issue. It's really annoying. When I was on the Lion dev previews last year DP 4 was the sweet spot. It was almost the same as the actual release. Mountain Lion DP 3 should be good.
It keep losing my network, then it pops back up after a minute in Mountain Lion.

monstercactus

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
I just wanted to add my thanks for the Pacifist tip! I had successfully replaced that piece of crap AU 6.0 with the 5.6 on OSX 10.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.