PDA

View Full Version : MBA 2010 vs 2011: a few questions

macmahon70
Mar 27, 2012, 11:11 AM
Dear Rumorers,

I have some questions:
1) Would you rather buy a second hand MBA 13" 2.13 Ghz 4 Go RAM from last year (700) -apparently only used for a couple of months, not covered by warranty, sold by a colleague working in the same company or an MBA 2011 with same specs (1280), new from a store including 2 year warranty?
2) Some of my external 2'5 hard disks have two USB ports: how do you manage to plug them on the MBA?
3) I have impression that more MBAs are sold second hand compared to Macbook Pros, at least on this side of the Atlantic. Is that true?
4) I sometimes use internet via ethernet cable, since it is faster than Wifi.
Is the USB adapter for MBA much slower than the gigabit ethernet on MB pros?
5) I have a huge CD collection at my house, can I use the remote disc installation feature to rip them...I guess not but wanted to be 100% sure.

Cheers,

Olivier

IJBrekke
Mar 27, 2012, 01:40 PM
Dear Rumorers,

I have some questions:
1) Would you rather buy a second hand MBA 13" 2.13 Ghz 4 Go RAM from last year (700) -apparently only used for a couple of months, not covered by warranty, sold by a colleague working in the same company or an MBA 2011 with same specs (1280), new from a store including 2 year warranty?
2) Some of my external 2'5 hard disks have two USB ports: how do you manage to plug them on the MBA?
3) I have impression that more MBAs are sold second hand compared to Macbook Pros, at least on this side of the Atlantic. Is that true?
5) I have a huge CD collection at my house, can I use the remote disc installation feature to rip them...I guess not but wanted to be 100% sure.

Cheers,

Olivier

1) This is extremely budget-based: obviously a new computer is a safer choice than a used one, but you buy what you can afford. I purchased a used 2010 Air on Craigslist, but I shopped extensively for the right one that was in like-new condition. If you can afford the new one than go that route for the warranty.

2) Use a USB extension cable

3) No idea

4) I haven't tried ethernet on the Air

5) I do not believe remote disc works for importing CDs or DVDs. You will have to import them to another machine and transfer them manually.

Considering your needs, you may be a candidate for the MacBook Pro line. They are due for a redesign soon, and the older models will be much cheaper. But considering your CD collection you might still want that disc drive. Something to consider.

bogatyr
Mar 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
1,2 Answered

3 No idea

4 Unless you have extremely fast internet, it shouldn't be any faster using Ethernet (or you have an old 802.11b router). Ethernet works fine on the MBA, however I use the Thunderbolt Display's Ethernet and not the USB->Ethernet adapter.

5 From what I understand, the remote drive makes it appear as a physical drive on the MBA. If that is true, rips should work. But I've never used the feature.

halledise
Mar 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Dear Rumorers,

I have some questions:

if cash restricted, then 1st option otherwise have a look for refurbs on AppleStore

just need one to connect surely

shouldn't be

simply buy an external dvd drive - cheap and much faster than the remote disc method, which I think you'd find very frustrating over time
****************e5gPJ

kyjaotkb
Mar 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
1 - a 2,13 GHz MBA would be a 2010 MBA, a decent but not lightning fast computer, whereas the current MBA is the mid-2011 version, which is way faster, using intel Core i5/i7 processors. The speed and performance boost is definitely noteworthy - so I'd suggest going the 2011 route. Are you sure about the 2 year warranty? I thought it was 1 year only (so was it for my 2011 MBA bought in Paris).

2 - most of those disks work with only 1 USB jack (the one connected to the data port of the disk) connected to sufficiently powered computers - the MBA being one of those. Otherwise, like IJBrekke said, a USB cable will do the job.

3- no idea..

4 - yes it is 10/100 only, then again except if you're transferring data to networked high speed RAID arrays or SSDs you won't feel the difference compared to gigabit.

5 - probably not - but get an internal drive from an old computer (or buy it for 10 on eBay) and an external enclosure (10 on ebay as well) and you'll end up with your custom built superdrive for 20

Bon choix et amuse toi bien avec ton Macbook Air !
Cordialement,
Olivier (aussi)

Bear
Mar 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
...Some might work fine with just one USB plug connected. Others will require being connected to powered USB hubs.

2 USB plugs implies the drive wants more power than one USB port can provide.

macmahon70
Mar 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
1 - a 2,13 GHz MBA would be a 2010 MBA, a decent but not lightning fast computer, whereas the current MBA is the mid-2011 version, which is way faster, using intel Core i5/i7 processors. The speed and performance boost is definitely noteworthy - so I'd suggest going the 2011 route. Are you sure about the 2 year warranty? I thought it was 1 year only (so was it for my 2011 MBA bought in Paris).

2 - most of those disks work with only 1 USB jack (the one connected to the data port of the disk) connected to sufficiently powered computers - the MBA being one of those. Otherwise, like IJBrekke said, a USB cable will do the job.

3- no idea..

4 - yes it is 10/100 only, then again except if you're transferring data to networked high speed RAID arrays or SSDs you won't feel the difference compared to gigabit.

5 - probably not - but get an internal drive from an old computer (or buy it for 10 on eBay) and an external enclosure (10 on ebay as well) and you'll end up with your custom built superdrive for 20

Bon choix et amuse toi bien avec ton Macbook Air !
Cordialement,
Olivier (aussi)

If not 2 years, you should claim your 2 year warranty or request the assistance of consumer associations. I heard that Apple Store usually accepts the 2 year warranty. But to be on the safe side, it is better buy from a store that applies the law and pretends to "offer" the second year.

Do you think that the increase in speed is so big between the MBA 2010 and MBA 2011?

Olivier

Jaro65
Mar 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
Do you think that the increase in speed is so big between the MBA 2010 and MBA 2011?

Yes it is. Will you notice? It depends. I bought the 2011 MBA 13 and tried it for 2 weeks next to my 2010 MBA 13. For my use, which consists of MS Office for Mac, Internet browsing, email, iTunes, etc., I didn't find a difference in speed that I thought would justify the new computer. I ended up returning it and keeping my 2010 MBA 13. On the other hand though, if you do any CPU-demanding activities, the new MBA will offer a substantial improvement. So...it really depends on what you use the machine for.