PDA

View Full Version : Why is Netflix so poor on ATV?

Pages : [1] 2

striker33
Mar 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Bought the ATV 3rd Gen yesteday, to replace my PS3 as a main Netflix streamer and for itunes match etc, due to it sucking up way less power and much less heat.

However, I noticed right off the bat that Netflix content looks extremely poor on it. Its nowhere near HD quality, and would look poor even as a SD stream. My PS3 on the other hand streams perfectly at 1080p at the highest quality possible for the service.

What gives?

Has Apple restricted the quality of Netflix in order to fill their own pockets from HD iTunes purchases, similar to what Micro$oft has done on the 360?

maturola
Mar 27, 2012, 12:03 PM
Must be something on your setup, I got all 3 (ATV, XBOX, PS3) and Netflix look just fine on HD and all 3

GoCubsGo
Mar 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
For me it looks great on both 24" and 47" HD TVs. It has to be your internet.

striker33
Mar 27, 2012, 12:18 PM

Nope.

Mike Valmike
Mar 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Nope.

Well, the other poster was making a bad assumption -- it does not HAVE to be your internet. I suspect a setting somewhere either in Netflix preferences or the ATV settings is not optimal. I'm afraid you may have to go digging for it. I use my ATV3 for Netflix every day, and we get beautiful 1080p feeds for the most part. You should expect to be able to get the same results or to have your unit replaced as defective.

Macman45
Mar 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm about to start a trial freebie here in the UK, hoping for good things.

striker33
Mar 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
Well, the other poster was making a bad assumption -- it does not HAVE to be your internet. I suspect a setting somewhere either in Netflix preferences or the ATV settings is not optimal. I'm afraid you may have to go digging for it. I use my ATV3 for Netflix every day, and we get beautiful 1080p feeds for the most part. You should expect to be able to get the same results or to have your unit replaced as defective.

I have a stable 6mbps connection, been streaming at the highest quality since Netflix launched in the UK on my PS3, so definitely isnt my internet.

Is there any individual Netflix settings on the ATV itself? I've been through every option on the main settings screen. Also went into my account on the Netflix site, double checked the quality was set to 'best', and there are no device options etc to tweak.

whooleytoo
Mar 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
Looks fine for me. Some older movies in HD (such as Tron) don't seem to be recognisably HD, but they certainly couldn't be called poor for SD.

I'm quite happy with the quality; it's just a pity so much is still SD.

Bill.the.Cat
Mar 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
Netflix looks great in HD on my 56" LCoS RPTV. Cox cable internet, 25-28Mbps downstream via speedtest.net to ATV2 over hard-wired Cat6.

heisenberg123
Mar 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
I have a stable 6mbps connection, been streaming at the highest quality since Netflix launched in the UK on my PS3, so definitely isnt my internet.

Is there any individual Netflix settings on the ATV itself? I've been through every option on the main settings screen. Also went into my account on the Netflix site, double checked the quality was set to 'best', and there are no device options etc to tweak.

is 6Mbps good?

i get around 30

thekev
Mar 27, 2012, 01:32 PM
Passive aggressive method of nudging you toward itunes content:p?

Gary86
Mar 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
I have 3 ATV's and a PS3 in my house. I was running two ATV's (daughter was watching the backyardigans and my wife was watching a movie on the other) and I was playing COD online and the quality of all three was excellent all running on the same wifi network.

I would check your internet.

DARK N00DLE
Mar 27, 2012, 02:59 PM

You could also try looking at the settings in your router, the way ATV communicates to Netflix might be where an issue is. Also what kind of bandwith are you using? a/b/c/g/n? that will also change how it works. I can stream just fine through my AirPort Extreme which uses "n" with the ATV but if I use it at the g/f's place the speed is much slower and has issues with loading because it's on a "g" bandwith and she has crappy internet.

vtstarck
Mar 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
My Netflix pauses and buffers every minute or so ever since I upgraded from ATV2 to ATV3. I've used other streaming sources like TV and Movies from iTunes and they all stream fine. I also get between 25-30 MBps down. Netflix worked perfectly before I upgraded.

chrono1081
Mar 27, 2012, 03:40 PM

This. ATV has the best implementation of netflix I've seen on any devices.

If your home network is slow Netflix will downsample the video so this could be an issue.

striker33
Mar 27, 2012, 04:03 PM
Its not my internet, nor is it my network.

Is it really that hard for people on here to acknowledge that there could be some issues with ATV's handling of Netflix content?

----------

You could also try looking at the settings in your router, the way ATV communicates to Netflix might be where an issue is. Also what kind of bandwith are you using? a/b/c/g/n? that will also change how it works. I can stream just fine through my AirPort Extreme which uses "n" with the ATV but if I use it at the g/f's place the speed is much slower and has issues with loading because it's on a "g" bandwith and she has crappy internet.

PS3 = G band = Full HD streaming on Netflix.

ATV = N band = Piss poor SD streaming.

Pheo
Mar 27, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm finding Netflix goes down on ATV while being up on other devices. Very odd.

waw74
Mar 27, 2012, 04:27 PM
not sure if this will help or not.

on the netflix web page, go to settings, and in the "instant watching" section click "manage video quality" and set that to high. mine had no setting to begin with.
(this link (https://account.netflix.com/VideoQuality) should take you directly to the correct settings page).

DARK N00DLE
Mar 27, 2012, 04:31 PM

Is it really that hard for people on here to acknowledge that there could be some issues with ATV's handling of Netflix content?

----------

It's not the we're not acknowledging there could be issues with ATV, we're trying to do a top-down approach of what kinds of issues there could be, the most logical is either internet or network and the most unlogical is the actual ATV itself. Is your NAT open? I've had problems with that before and there have been huge differences between gaming consoles and ATV, also have you reset your ATV yet?

striker33
Mar 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
not sure if this will help or not.

on the netflix web page, go to settings, and in the "instant watching" section click "manage video quality" and set that to high. mine had no setting to begin with.
(this link (https://account.netflix.com/VideoQuality) should take you directly to the correct settings page).

Also went into my account on the Netflix site, double checked the quality was set to 'best', and there are no device options etc to tweak.

It's not the we're not acknowledging there could be issues with ATV, we're trying to do a top-down approach of what kinds of issues there could be, the most logical is either internet or network and the most unlogical is the actual ATV itself. Is your NAT open? I've had problems with that before and there have been huge differences between gaming consoles and ATV, also have you reset your ATV yet?

NAT Open, static ip with DMZ etc, reset a few times, after each change was made. Still nothing :(

Oh, and once again, apparently 'Netflix is not available'.

Nychot
Mar 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm returning to the 3 to BB. I have a 2, and a roku. but the 2 has a better picture etc than the 3. my 2 is jailbroken, maybe that makes a difference. but the 2 on netflix just has great resolution, the 3 is dull. anyone else find that or maybe i got a lemon.

jetlife2
Mar 27, 2012, 06:12 PM
I have a ATV2 and it is great. Stable HD all the time from US Netflix. I can't comment on the 3, maybe there is a difference emerging.

Anyway, one thing that some 2 owners have found to be useful is to use google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. YMMV. If you have a 3 and have not tried it, it could be worth a try. I use it and it did make a difference for me. I get 30M down on my wifi from the WAN, and the ATV2 connects at 52, wireless b/g/n: but this change still made a positive improvement on Netflix. Good luck.

striker33
Mar 27, 2012, 07:08 PM
I have a ATV2 and it is great. Stable HD all the time from US Netflix. I can't comment on the 3, maybe there is a difference emerging.

Anyway, one thing that some 2 owners have found to be useful is to use google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. YMMV. If you have a 3 and have not tried it, it could be worth a try. I use it and it did make a difference for me. I get 30M down on my wifi from the WAN, and the ATV2 connects at 52, wireless b/g/n: but this change still made a positive improvement on Netflix. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. Gave it a try, but no improvement. Still streaming in SD only.

I'll give Apple a ring in the morning and see if they have any suggestions. Otherwise it looks like I'm gonna have to fight to return it.

Bill.the.Cat
Mar 27, 2012, 08:23 PM

Since there are many of with excellent results, yes, it's difficult to make the logical jump that there's something wrong with ATVs in general when it comes to Netflix. The existence of many counterexamples suggests there's either something wrong with your setup or something wrong with your ATV unit.

DARK N00DLE
Mar 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
NAT Open, static ip with DMZ etc, reset a few times, after each change was made. Still nothing :(

Oh, and once again, apparently 'Netflix is not available'.

That isn't a problem with your ATV then, I had the same problem a while back and after a lot of googling I figured out it was actually Netflix and their local servers that was the issue, I waited a couple of days, did a reset and it was back to normal.

playtillyadrop
Mar 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
if you go to netflix.com i think its under your account settings you can change the bandwidth limitation for your account.

Tawmus
Mar 28, 2012, 02:26 AM
Hm. Maybe OpenDNS?

Macman45
Mar 28, 2012, 02:39 AM

Smooth as silk on my ATV3 ( hard wired ) and my ATV 2 ( wifi ) as Jessica posted, it's your Internet / router.

striker33
Mar 28, 2012, 06:00 AM
Smooth as silk on my ATV3 ( hard wired ) and my ATV 2 ( wifi ) as Jessica posted, it's your Internet / router.

So then it IS a problem with the ATV.

The fact that so many other devices work perfectly fine with HD streaming on Netflix says it all really. Something seriously wrong on Apple's side.

heliocentric
Mar 28, 2012, 06:08 AM
So then it IS a problem with the ATV.

The fact that so many other devices work perfectly fine with HD streaming on Netflix says it all really. Something seriously wrong on Apple's side.

If it's OK on everyone else's ATV but not yours would that not suggest their is a problem your end?

Maybe your other devices are just more efficient at using your 6Mbps internet connection compared to the ATV which might for some reason require a quicker connection...

striker33
Mar 28, 2012, 06:16 AM
If it's OK on everyone else's ATV but not yours would that not suggest their is a problem your end?

Maybe your other devices are just more efficient at using your 6Mbps internet connection compared to the ATV which might for some reason require a quicker connection...

I can stream iTunes movies at 1080p perfectly fine, despite Apple claiming 8mbps was reccommended.

If Netflix is so ineffective on the ATV, then its a problem on Apple's end.

heliocentric
Mar 28, 2012, 06:54 AM
I can stream iTunes movies at 1080p perfectly fine, despite Apple claiming 8mbps was reccommended.

Everyone is stating its ok for them on their atv though...

Maybe apple are just picking on you ;)

Cheffy Dave
Mar 28, 2012, 06:55 AM
If you are using it wirelessly, try plugging it in via Eithernet cable, its the way I use mine, and the picture is stunning;)

striker33
Mar 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Everyone is stating its ok for them on their atv though...

Maybe apple are just picking on you ;)

Actually a couple of people have already said they have similar issues ;)

----------

If you are using it wirelessly, try plugging it in via Eithernet cable, its the way I use mine, and the picture is stunning;)

I just tried there, apart from it being ever so slightly more snappy, as expected, there was no improvement in video quality.

I honestly dont know why its refusing to play above SD quality. Apple told me to contact Netflix, and Netflix gave me loads of automated answers.

Its definitely nothing to do with network speeds or my internet. If a Windows PC using a cheap 5 wireless dongle with only a single bar of signal can stream HD fine, theres no reason why the same shouldnt apply to my ATV.

I'm not even sure how to go about returning the thing. I'm pretty sure the staff at Argos won't have a clue what streaming means.

steve-p
Mar 28, 2012, 07:52 AM
The Netflix client for Apple TV may be using a different codec (H.264) compared to the VC-1 Microsoft derived codec that they like to use on other platforms. Perhaps H.264 uses slightly more bandwidth and would take your connection over the point at which Netflix degrades in quality. It certainly looks fine on my ATV3 with 24 mbps bandwidth available.

heisenberg123
Mar 28, 2012, 07:52 AM

i see one post that the poster like his ATV2 better than his ATV3 is that what you mean by a couple poeple said they have similar issues ;)?

how about this, some things are defective, bring it back and stop whining on the webernets

i still think 6mpbs is a slow internet connection thats the basic plan here in Canada

P0stalTek
Mar 28, 2012, 07:53 AM
But many more have said their ATV 3 was fine. Just saying, being stubborn because you don't like the answers you are getting seems counter-intuitive.

Irishman
Mar 28, 2012, 07:57 AM
Fire up your web browser, and go to your Netflix homepage. Make sure you're logged into your account, and go into the settings menu.

Somewhere in there is an option to set the quality of your streams globally, regardless of device. See if it's set to its best quality. If not, make it so.

This has helped many people.

----------

It is more likely - seeing as the VAST majority of people are NOT having this problem - that the problem is something at your end (either your network hardware, settings, Netflix settings, HDMI cable, OR a lemon ATV3).

heisenberg123
Mar 28, 2012, 07:59 AM

----------

I just tried there, apart from it being ever so slightly more snappy, as expected, there was no improvement in video quality.

I honestly dont know why its refusing to play above SD quality. Apple told me to contact Netflix, and Netflix gave me loads of automated answers.

Its definitely nothing to do with network speeds or my internet. If a Windows PC using a cheap 5 wireless dongle with only a single bar of signal can stream HD fine, theres no reason why the same shouldnt apply to my ATV.

I'm not even sure how to go about returning the thing. I'm pretty sure the staff at Argos won't have a clue what streaming means.

thats meaninless, its absolutely possible 1 device requires a stonger connection than another regardless of the price

striker33
Mar 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
But many more have said their ATV 3 was fine. Just saying, being stubborn because you don't like the answers you are getting seems counter-intuitive.

I'm not being stubborn.

I'm simply looking for advice on ways to resolve the issue, not 2 pages of posts saying its my internet, or elitists trying to act big and clever by saying they have super fast internet and huge TV's.

heisenberg123
Mar 28, 2012, 08:19 AM
I'm not being stubborn.

I'm simply looking for advice on ways to resolve the issue, not 2 pages of posts saying its my internet, or elitists trying to act big and clever by saying they have super fast internet and huge TV's.

have you tried control alt delete?? that fixes most things

or

up up down down left right left right b, a, start?

oh waith tahts 99 lives in Contra

what about returning it? does this fix not exisit in the UK?

Lunchbox700
Mar 28, 2012, 08:34 AM

I'm having the same problem it drops after two minutes , and works fine on other devices . Honestly I understand that some people want the world to go all digital , but I'm ok with how things are . Too many variables it totally could be on my end and may never fix it it will just work.

P0stalTek
Mar 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
2 pages of people telling you it's a problem on your end and you blatantly refuse to believe it. That is the definition of stubborn.

So are you just waiting for someone to say Apple sucks? Wrong forum.

striker33
Mar 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
After spending 2 hours on the phone to Apple and Netflix, it turns out my ATV3 is limiting the bandwidth for Netflix streaming only. Netflix cant do anything about it on their end, and Apple don't know what is causing the issue.

I'll update later on any fix or solution to the problem, should someone have similar problems down the line.

Seems to be a very rare problem. Along with my returned iPad, its been a very bad month for buying Apple products.

Why always me? :confused:

----------

2 pages of people telling you it's a problem on your end and you blatantly refuse to believe it. That is the definition of stubborn.

So are you just waiting for someone to say Apple sucks? Wrong forum.

Refer to my post above, and you will see the irony.

Excuse me while I get my violin. ;)

P.s. If you are offended by my previous post, I'd suggest crying elsewhere.

jetlife2
Mar 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
it turns out my ATV3 is limiting the bandwidth for Netflix streaming only.

Interesting, can you share how they deduced that?

Do you plan to exchange the unit? If you get 1080p OK from itunes it seems your network is OK. Wondering if this is a problem with this one unit or if the software demands for Netflix streaming are higher such that your 6M is adequate for one and not the other.

There is a "test network" option in the ATV menu, what does that yield?

Keep us up to date

Thanks

darster
Mar 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
Do you have a micro usb cable? They usually come with most mobile phones. Connect your ATV3 to your computer via that cable and restore as new through iTunes. You don't need to connect the power cord to the ATV3 to do this. Many times this resolves the problem as you start fresh.

Cheffy Dave
Mar 29, 2012, 01:58 AM

----------

I see what you mean! I watched a trailer on my ATV, then watched the same trailer on my Roku Box with Amazon, the ROKU Box wins hands down, razor sharp, both are connected via Eithernet. So is this a Netflix problem?or a ATV problem, dunno, but streaming on ROKU is the way to go:eek:

slffl
Mar 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
I gotta say I'm returning the Apple TV as it's unable to stream Netflix (not to mention other reasons I'm disappointed)

I have tried 3 different DNS, I've changed the streaming quality on my Netflix account, I've turned off all other internet devices, the ATV is hardwired to an airport extreme, and it STILL buffers while streaming Netflix.

Here's a speed test I did while it was streaming. I can't wait for you know-it-alls to try and tell me it's MY problem.

darster
Mar 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
I gotta say I'm returning the Apple TV as it's unable to stream Netflix (not to mention other reasons I'm disappointed)

I have tried 3 different DNS, I've changed the streaming quality on my Netflix account, I've turned off all other internet devices, the ATV is hardwired to an airport extreme, and it STILL buffers while streaming Netflix.

Here's a speed test I did while it was streaming. I can't wait for you know-it-alls to try and tell me it's MY problem.

Ah, thats your problem. You are using speed test which really only tells you the speed from your isp to your house. Not the speed from your isp to the Netflix servers. Either way, you should still be able to get some HD material at times. You just may have a bad ATV. Exchange it and try again. Yes, I know it may be shocking, but sometimes you can get a defective apple device.

Irishman
Mar 30, 2012, 08:42 AM
I see what you mean! I watched a trailer on my ATV, then watched the same trailer on my Roku Box with Amazon, the ROKU Box wins hands down, razor sharp, both are connected via Eithernet. So is this a Netflix problem?or a ATV problem, dunno, but streaming on ROKU is the way to go:eek:

I think you're getting carried away and piling on a problem that hasn't been properly diagnosed, truth to tell. Firstly, Netflix doesn't feature movie trailers on the ATV, so you couldn't have viewed it there. (I don't know if Netflix on Roku does or not - I don't know what would be the point as you already get a la carte). Trailers are designed to entice you to buy or rent a title, which is why I'm thinking you had to have viewed it on something other than Netflix.

It couldn't be that you're trolling, could it? :)

Ipadlover29
Mar 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
I've had my atv3 for 2 weeks now and everything works great except Netflix streaming. I had an atv2 before this one and it had no issues with netflix. I'm guessing I probably got defective unit. Gonna get an exchange today. All other Netflix devices work fine on my 32 Mbps connection. I've tried all the recommended fixs (restoring atv3, changing Netflix account settings, changing router settings, etc)

Kinda wish I kept the atv2 it didn't have any issues and was jailbroken.

bnazza
Mar 30, 2012, 05:04 PM
A quick way to tell if it is your network is to take the AppleTV round to a friends house and see how it performs there. If you do that a couple of times and never can get HD content then it seems like it would confirm its a problem with your ATV3

CSpackler
Mar 31, 2012, 03:17 AM
You could try streaming Netflix to your home computer in HD quality. That'd give you a pretty good idea if it was your connection.

steve dave
Mar 31, 2012, 06:06 AM
You could try streaming Netflix to your home computer in HD quality. That'd give you a pretty good idea if it was your connection.

I think that is the point. I get HD just fine on my Xbox, TV, Blu-ray player, and 1080p on my ps3. But could NEVER get anything but SD on the apple tv.

darster
Mar 31, 2012, 06:36 AM
I think that is the point. I get HD just fine on my Xbox, TV, Blu-ray player, and 1080p on my ps3. But could NEVER get anything but SD on the apple tv.
Personally I think ATV3 has issues with adaptive streaming. MLB is going with adaptive streaming this year, and I have noticed issues with the ATV3 at times with MLB HD that none of my other devices have. At times during the broadcast, the colors will be inverted for a short time. Blacks become white, etc. Only does this with the ATV3 on MLB, and not any other streaming service on ATV3.

Studio Dweller
Mar 31, 2012, 10:04 AM
I picked up an Apple TV (3rd gen) last night and took the suggestion of logging into to my Netflix account and setting my streaming quality to best. I'm pretty picky when it comes to image quality (TV is professionally calibrated) and Netflix streaming was very good. It's not a blu-ray, but certainly as good as it looks on my PS3 and very watchable.

The Apple TV is connected wirelessly (802.11n) to an Apple Airport Extreme (current gen) and my internet connection is a Comcast cable modem where I typically get 20+ Mbps download.

Cheffy Dave
Mar 31, 2012, 11:31 AM
I think you're getting carried away and piling on a problem that hasn't been properly diagnosed, truth to tell. Firstly, Netflix doesn't feature movie trailers on the ATV, so you couldn't have viewed it there. (I don't know if Netflix on Roku does or not - I don't know what would be the point as you already get a la carte). Trailers are designed to entice you to buy or rent a title, which is why I'm thinking you had to have viewed it on something other than Netflix.

It couldn't be that you're trolling, could it? :)

as I said in my post, the trailer viewed on ROKU, was a trailer that is Available on Amazon movies, anything for rent, you can see the trailer before you buy, same as Apple. I own both a ROKU box as well as an ATV. Movies from Amazon via Roku look better than ATV movies. Netflix on Roku to my eyes, beats Netflix on ATV. I am not a TROLL son!:mad: Trailers are available on ATV as well as Amazon/Roku, all I was saying was Trailers look better on Roku as does Netflix

Sedulous
Mar 31, 2012, 11:36 AM
I don't see much difference between the ATV and other players. It would be good to have a less subjective measure than "I think it looks better on 'x' than 'y'".

P0stalTek
Apr 1, 2012, 11:17 AM
After spending 2 hours on the phone to Apple and Netflix, it turns out my ATV3 is limiting the bandwidth for Netflix streaming only. Netflix cant do anything about it on their end, and Apple don't know what is causing the issue.

I'll update later on any fix or solution to the problem, should someone have similar problems down the line.

Seems to be a very rare problem. Along with my returned iPad, its been a very bad month for buying Apple products.

Why always me? :confused:

----------

Refer to my post above, and you will see the irony.

Excuse me while I get my violin. ;)

P.s. If you are offended by my previous post, I'd suggest crying elsewhere.

Not offended at all. Was just trying to illustrate that you may be right but clearly you were unwilling to listen to any suggestions besides the ones you wanted.

I do not get offended on the interwebs :)

That said, I have a Roku XS so I wasn't trying to say I know what is up with the ATV3, just that people asking for help should be open to it.

striker33
Apr 1, 2012, 12:13 PM
Not offended at all. Was just trying to illustrate that you may be right but clearly you were unwilling to listen to any suggestions besides the ones you wanted.

I do not get offended on the interwebs :)

That said, I have a Roku XS so I wasn't trying to say I know what is up with the ATV3, just that people asking for help should be open to it.

I was perfectly willing.

Having loads of people tell me its my internet is not a suggest and is just plain ignorant.

But oh well. Still waiting on Apple to give me a call back, doesnt look too great.

striker33
Apr 1, 2012, 12:29 PM
I've had my atv3 for 2 weeks now and everything works great except Netflix streaming. I had an atv2 before this one and it had no issues with netflix. I'm guessing I probably got defective unit. Gonna get an exchange today. All other Netflix devices work fine on my 32 Mbps connection. I've tried all the recommended fixs (restoring atv3, changing Netflix account settings, changing router settings, etc)

How was your exchange? Is the new unit working ok?

Irishman
Apr 2, 2012, 08:15 AM
as I said in my post, the trailer viewed on ROKU, was a trailer that is Available on Amazon movies, anything for rent, you can see the trailer before you buy, same as Apple. I own both a ROKU box as well as an ATV. Movies from Amazon via Roku look better than ATV movies. Netflix on Roku to my eyes, beats Netflix on ATV. I am not a TROLL son!:mad: Trailers are available on ATV as well as Amazon/Roku, all I was saying was Trailers look better on Roku as does Netflix

Apples to oranges, son, not to mention off-topic.

whooleytoo
Apr 2, 2012, 08:29 AM
I don't know if there's one issue here or several. IME, I've been using Netflix for just a few weeks (since it launched here in Ireland); and watched several HD movies with no problems.

But in the last couple of weeks I've been having slight problems - any HD TV episodes I play will have 2 or 3 stalls & buffering (I have a 30Mbps connection), and occasionally the audio suddenly jumps 2 or 3 seconds out of sync with the video. I haven't seen these issues with other video on the ATV (Vimeo, Youtube, iTunes trailers), though I don't watch long videos on those so it's not a perfect comparison.

Ipadlover29
Apr 2, 2012, 08:39 AM
How was your exchange? Is the new unit working ok?

I ended up returning it and getting an atv2 refurb online instead. Atv 2 is cheaper, easier to jailbreak and I don't really need the 1080p at this point.

vtstarck
Apr 2, 2012, 12:26 PM

I'm having this EXACT issue. I generally get between 25-35 Mbps down and all other content on my Apple TV works fine. I try to watch something on Netflix and it stops and starts constantly throughout. I've also switched back to my Apple TV 2nd generation and it can stream the same Netflix content without problem.

darster
Apr 2, 2012, 01:14 PM
If you have a micro usb cable, connect the ATV3 to iTunes on your computer and restore as new. With the ATV3 you have to also plug into power outlet to do this, whereas with the ATV2 you do not.

striker33
Apr 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
If you have a micro usb cable, connect the ATV3 to iTunes on your computer and restore as new. With the ATV3 you have to also plug into power outlet to do this, whereas with the ATV2 you do not.

Will that not just achieve the same result as restoring via the OS on the ATV3?

alphaod
Apr 2, 2012, 01:43 PM
My NetFlix streams usually looks like s*** the first few minutes and then it gradually improves to excellent quality.

darster
Apr 2, 2012, 04:24 PM
Will that not just achieve the same result as restoring via the OS on the ATV3?

It probably does. But whenever i have problems with iPad, iPhone or ATV that I can't resolve, restoring through iTunes seems to do a better job.

striker33
Apr 2, 2012, 05:13 PM
It probably does. But whenever i have problems with iPad, iPhone or ATV that I can't resolve, restoring through iTunes seems to do a better job.

I'll give it a try anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

If it doesnt work I'll most likely be returning it tomorrow anyway, pending the callback from one of the engineers at Apple.

Ipadlover29
Apr 2, 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm having this EXACT issue. I generally get between 25-35 Mbps down and all other content on my Apple TV works fine. I try to watch something on Netflix and it stops and starts constantly throughout. I've also switched back to my Apple TV 2nd generation and it can stream the same Netflix content without problem.

In my case I didn't have any buffering issues. But the picture quality was really bad. I watched the exact same content on many other Netflix devices and there was no issues with them. I think there is an issue some atv 3's and Netflix. There seems to be a bunch of threads about on apple discussions forums also. Personally there is no need for the 1080p version unless your going to use iTunes for content. All other sources like air play, Netflix , podcasts, you tube don't benefit from 1080p yet.

striker33
Apr 2, 2012, 07:13 PM
In my case I didn't have any buffering issues. But the picture quality was really bad. I watched the exact same content on many other Netflix devices and there was no issues with them. I think there is an issue some atv 3's and Netflix. There seems to be a bunch of threads about on apple discussions forums also. Personally there is no need for the 1080p version unless your going to use iTunes for content. All other sources like air play, Netflix , podcasts, you tube don't benefit from 1080p yet.

Doesnt Netflix do 1080p streaming? I know its very compressed, as all streamed content is, but there should still be a difference.

Ipadlover29
Apr 2, 2012, 08:01 PM
Doesnt Netflix do 1080p streaming? I know its very compressed, as all streamed content is, but there should still be a difference.

I think it does but very few 1080p titles are available. I didn't see any labeled 1080p like in iTunes. Most HD content on Netflix is 720p from what I understand.

striker33
Apr 2, 2012, 08:45 PM
I think it does but very few 1080p titles are available. I didn't see any labeled 1080p like in iTunes. Most HD content on Netflix is 720p from what I understand.

Well from what I've seen on my PS3, its either 1080p or SD, and I think the ATV3 was updated to support the 1080p streams. But who knows.

Its still early days yet. I'd be happy with 720p, if my ATV actually streamed it!

Ipadlover29
Apr 2, 2012, 09:49 PM
Well from what I've seen on my PS3, its either 1080p or SD, and I think the ATV3 was updated to support the 1080p streams. But who knows.

Its still early days yet. I'd be happy with 720p, if my ATV actually streamed it!

I'm sure the 1080p content for Netflix will increase greatly especially since apple is in the game now. What kind of issues were you experiencing? In my case I was getting artifacts and pixelation but no real streaming or buffering issues. The picture quality was horrible when compared to my atv2 or Sony blu ray players.

striker33
Apr 2, 2012, 10:27 PM
I'm sure the 1080p content for Netflix will increase greatly especially since apple is in the game now. What kind of issues were you experiencing? In my case I was getting artifacts and pixelation but no real streaming or buffering issues. The picture quality was horrible when compared to my atv2 or Sony blu ray players.

Yeah artifacts and pixellation is about right. It just seems unable to stream above 1mbps. Something is limiting Netflix and Netflix only, and its something in either the ATV software or hardware.

Ipadlover29
Apr 2, 2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah artifacts and pixellation is about right. It just seems unable to stream above 1mbps. Something is limiting Netflix and Netflix only, and its something in either the ATV software or hardware.

Did you purchase yours in an apple store? If so try exchanging for another. Yours is probably just defective although sounds much worse than mine.

darster
Apr 2, 2012, 11:11 PM

I think it's netflix. Roku also has artifacts at times with their 1080p streaming devices. The boxee has no artifacts, but limited to 720p. So I'm guessing netflix is having problems with 1080p adaptive streaming on some devices.

striker33
Apr 2, 2012, 11:16 PM
I think it's netflix. Roku also has artifacts at times with their 1080p streaming devices. The boxee has no artifacts, but limited to 720p. So I'm guessing netflix is having problems with 1080p adaptive streaming on some devices.

A lot of people on this thread say 1080p is fine on their end. I've also had it confirmed by Netflix that the Apple TV is limiting the bandwidth available to the Netflix app. Apple on the other hand still havent told me anything.

----------

Did you purchase yours in an apple store? If so try exchanging for another. Yours is probably just defective although sounds much worse than mine.

Got mine from Argos. Will be getting a call off Apple tomorrow so will discuss my exchange options then.

darster
Apr 2, 2012, 11:45 PM
Here is a duscussion with all the problem from the roku forum with Netlix.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48012

vtstarck
Apr 3, 2012, 10:41 AM
I did some more testing with Netflix. I watched a Standard Def show on my ATV3 and it paused/buffered/dropped quality the whole time. About half-way through, I switched out my ATV3 and put in my ATV2. It worked perfectly.

striker33
Apr 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
I did some more testing with Netflix. I watched a Standard Def show on my ATV3 and it paused/buffered/dropped quality the whole time. About half-way through, I switched out my ATV3 and put in my ATV2. It worked perfectly.

Definitely seems to be a problem with the Apple TV. I got mine exchanged today, same issues still. I then took it round to a friends house, as per Apple's advice, and it was still locked in standard definition at around 1mbps. My friends internet is 8mbps as well, 2mbps faster than mine.

I then called Netflix again, who told me lies about my streams on PS3 not hitting above 2.9mbps, despite a few days ago, being told its was hitting 4.7mbps+ for the highest quality. I'm running a LAN monitor right now and it proves that I'm hitting the 5mbps requirement for HD streaming. They basically tried to pawn me off to Apple again. She also kept telling me to get a faster internet connection. Unfortunately the majority of the world still has substandard broadband connections. 6mb is actually very good for where I live. But thats not the point. The difference between ATV3 and PS3 is like DVD vs Blu-Ray. Its that big.

No one wants to take the blame. Apple tell me to get it repaired, Netflix tell me to call Apple. A simple google search would point the finger at Apple, given their past reputation with Netflix issues on ATV2.

I've been thinking of just selling up and getting a Roku XS, but the tacky interface and remote really put me off, as well as the lack of iTunes Match.

mrtravel123
Apr 3, 2012, 04:29 PM
Does the quality of the HDMI cable make any difference to anyone? We've had sporadic Netflix problems with the new Apple TV also. Sound, etc. Wondering if going to a higher quality or more expensive HDMI cable would solve the problem. This is our first Apple TV.

Moonjumper
Apr 3, 2012, 05:50 PM

----------

It could have changed, but it was the case that an 'n' spec wifi network would slow all devices down to a slower speed if there was any device connected on a slower protocol. It might be that because your PS3 is connected with the 'g' spec, your network is being restricted to that. Maybe the ATV is sensing 'g' and automatically selecting SD because of that?

----------

Does the quality of the HDMI cable make any difference to anyone? We've had sporadic Netflix problems with the new Apple TV also. Sound, etc. Wondering if going to a higher quality or more expensive HDMI cable would solve the problem. This is our first Apple TV.

An HDMI cable is digital. Usually it works or it doesn't work. It is possible to have an intermittent not working / working fault if there is a loose connection or the HDMI is not fitted correctly. More expensive cables are actually more likely to have a problem because many of them are heavier, sometimes too heavy for the connection.

steve-p
Apr 4, 2012, 02:43 AM
There are 2 different HDMI cable types, category 1 and category 2. The difference is in the bandwidth they are certified for and not specifically related to price. Category 2 (also called High Speed) is required for 1080p and above. Intermittent problems are possible with a category 1 cable at 1080p (or some unrated cables dating from before the categories were introduced) which worked fine at lower resolutions so I would not rule it out. However a replacement cable doesn't need to be expensive, as long as it is category 2 certified it should be fine.

One thing I will say about all 3 generations of Apple TV is that the HDMI connector seems very fussy about being seated perfectly. I've had times when it's worked perfectly for months but then lost the picture and it just needed jiggling to make it start working again. I've never had this problem with any other HDMI device.

0dev
Apr 4, 2012, 02:48 AM
I'm about to start a trial freebie here in the UK, hoping for good things.

In the same position as you. Let me tell you, the service itself is excellent, but the UK content library is seriously lacking.

mrspoons
Apr 4, 2012, 05:10 AM
In the same position as you. Let me tell you, the service itself is excellent, but the UK content library is seriously lacking.

I'd recommend signing up to unblock us and changing the DNS settings on the ATV. I think theres a one week trial available still.
Works a treat and no problems streaming US content on my 5mb line

SDAVE
Apr 4, 2012, 05:28 AM
I can attest to this. My PS3 had better streaming quality than ATV3. Not just resolution wise, but blacks were better, etc. The PS3 is a much more powerful device.

roidy
Apr 4, 2012, 05:49 AM
I signed up for the one month free trial when Netflix came to the UK, I spent the month using it on both my ATV2 and my PS3, both wired to a 10Mbps internet connection.

The PS3 worked perfectly, not a single issue, but the ATV2 was a nightmare, constant buffing issues, getting halfway through a program only to have it stop and drop back to the menu, not very good at all. On the PS3 I was always getting the content in HD but on the ATV2 it was very low quality and only seemed to be SD.

Ultimately in the end I didn't continue the subscription mainly due to the shocking lack of TV content in the UK.

0dev
Apr 4, 2012, 07:39 AM
I'd recommend signing up to unblock us and changing the DNS settings on the ATV. I think theres a one week trial available still.
Works a treat and no problems streaming US content on my 5mb line

I have been thinking about that actually, certainly a good idea until the studios decide to actually care about getting their content over to the UK on Netflix.

steve-p
Apr 4, 2012, 09:43 AM
Since UK accounts apparently work with a proxy, I'm assuming that when I'm in the US next week I will be able to use my UK account on my iPad to see what content US Netflix has. It might influence whether or not I go the proxy route when I get back, or just cancel the sub.

Ipadlover29
Apr 4, 2012, 03:40 PM
I have been thinking about that actually, certainly a good idea until the studios decide to actually care about getting their content over to the UK on Netflix.

I've been using unblock us for the last year here in Canada. Works great for Netflix. With my atv 2 I'm able to use the same Netflix account to get to access to both the US and Canadian Netflix content. I only pay for my US account. Just change the dns to access Canadian content.

Old Smuggler
Apr 4, 2012, 03:49 PM
I can attest to this. My PS3 had better streaming quality than ATV3. Not just resolution wise, but blacks were better, etc. The PS3 is a much more powerful device.

I agree

darster
Apr 4, 2012, 09:26 PM
Tonight I can also attest to the poor streaming of netflix on the ATV3. Lots of artifacts and pixilation. Then I switched to my Roku XD2 and not one problem. Apple, get your act together. This is your problem. Own it and Fix it!

alflavor
Apr 5, 2012, 01:25 AM
In UK on a stable 11mbps connection, Netflix on my atv2 streams perfectly in HD - not seeing the issues described tbh.

striker33
Apr 5, 2012, 07:24 AM
It could have changed, but it was the case that an 'n' spec wifi network would slow all devices down to a slower speed if there was any device connected on a slower protocol. It might be that because your PS3 is connected with the 'g' spec, your network is being restricted to that. Maybe the ATV is sensing 'g' and automatically selecting SD because of that?

----------

An HDMI cable is digital. Usually it works or it doesn't work. It is possible to have an intermittent not working / working fault if there is a loose connection or the HDMI is not fitted correctly. More expensive cables are actually more likely to have a problem because many of them are heavier, sometimes too heavy for the connection.

My PS3 isnt 5GHZ capable. Infact the only devices which are connected to my 5GHz network atm are my ATV and iPad. It shouldnt matter anyway. My PS3 can stream a 15mbps Avatar rip over wifi, so its hardly down to a slow G speed network.

Moonjumper
Apr 5, 2012, 09:16 AM
My PS3 isnt 5GHZ capable. Infact the only devices which are connected to my 5GHz network atm are my ATV and iPad. It shouldnt matter anyway. My PS3 can stream a 15mbps Avatar rip over wifi, so its hardly down to a slow G speed network.

I didn't mean that the g speed network was slow in itself, but that the ATV was sensing that the wifi wasn't running at n speed, so automatically adjusting quality settings. It was only a possibility, hence my use of could, might and maybe. Just trying to help.

striker33
Apr 6, 2012, 07:29 AM
I didn't mean that the g speed network was slow in itself, but that the ATV was sensing that the wifi wasn't running at n speed, so automatically adjusting quality settings. It was only a possibility, hence my use of could, might and maybe. Just trying to help.

Ah right.

But again, wouldnt that be a fault on Apple's end?

vtstarck
Apr 6, 2012, 08:43 AM
I was just about to my breaking point with the Netflix issue and decided to run through all the options available to me. The only thing I hadn't tried was doing a complete restore of the Apple TV. It was a pain to set everything up again but so far (knock on wood) it has been worth it. I've since watched about 2 hours of flawless Netflix streaming - before I couldn't watch for more than 5 minutes without random pauses.

Moonjumper
Apr 6, 2012, 10:48 AM
Ah right.

But again, wouldnt that be a fault on Apple's end?

It might be Netflix reading an Apple setting.

p.s. I didn't give you the negative vote.

striker33
Apr 6, 2012, 11:23 AM
It might be Netflix reading an Apple setting.

p.s. I didn't give you the negative vote.

Dont worry about the negative votes. All my posts have them. Like I've said, the Apple fanboys on here think the company ***** perfection and that everything they make is faultless.

The same thing happens in the iOS forums and it just ends up in a load of fanboys claiming mass OCD.

I'm stumped as to what to do. There seems no logical fix for the Netflix issues. And after phoning apple once again today, they are still denying all existance of the issue, despite various posts on their own discussion boards about it.

Moonjumper
Apr 6, 2012, 01:13 PM
Dont worry about the negative votes. All my posts have them. Like I've said, the Apple fanboys on here think the company ***** perfection and that everything they make is faultless.

The same thing happens in the iOS forums and it just ends up in a load of fanboys claiming mass OCD.

I'm stumped as to what to do. There seems no logical fix for the Netflix issues. And after phoning apple once again today, they are still denying all existance of the issue, despite various posts on their own discussion boards about it.

Most are OK and realise that even the best could be better.

I hope you find a solution. I haven't got an ATV yet, but if I get one, Netflix will be one of the reasons.

striker33
Apr 6, 2012, 05:37 PM
For some reason tonight my PS3 has asked me to login to Netflix again, and now it pauses and reloads every 5 seconds or so, yet my ATV streams fine (but still SD).

I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Ipadlover29
Apr 6, 2012, 06:22 PM
So I returned my atv 3 to get the atv 2 again. Received my refurb atv 2 a few days ago. I find that it has issues as well just with netflix and nothing else. I am artifcating, pixelation and the most annoying is every once in a while the image stutters very slightly. Im gonna have to test it out more but so far its pretty much the same as the atv 3 I returned. Im not even on 5.0 yet still on 4.4.4. Im glad atleast I was able to jailbreak and install xbmc. So not a complete loss.

striker33
Apr 6, 2012, 11:19 PM
So I returned my atv 3 to get the atv 2 again. Received my refurb atv 2 a few days ago. I find that it has issues as well just with netflix and nothing else. I am artifcating, pixelation and the most annoying is every once in a while the image stutters very slightly. Im gonna have to test it out more but so far its pretty much the same as the atv 3 I returned. Im not even on 5.0 yet still on 4.4.4. Im glad atleast I was able to jailbreak and install xbmc. So not a complete loss.

Damn :/

I also tried using a USA DNS server for US netflix earlier, still had sucky quality.

Gonna move to a Roku XS, and if that fails, I'll just have to accept having to use a power hungry PS3 until the issue is fixed or I move to a bigger city.

goMac
Apr 6, 2012, 11:32 PM
Just to chime in here... I had problems with my AppleTV 2 when it first came out with Netflix. A few updates later and they went away. AppleTV 3 is working great.

Not sure what to say. Is it possible your ISP is what's limiting the bandwidth? We know the AppleTV is ok so we can eliminate that... If Netflix says their servers are fine we can eliminate that...

It's possible the PS3 uses a differently formatted stream than the AppleTV which is being filtered different on the ISP end. Your friend have the same ISP?

Ipadlover29
Apr 7, 2012, 12:53 AM
Just to chime in here... I had problems with my AppleTV 2 when it first came out with Netflix. A few updates later and they went away. AppleTV 3 is working great.

Not sure what to say. Is it possible your ISP is what's limiting the bandwidth? We know the AppleTV is ok so we can eliminate that... If Netflix says their servers are fine we can eliminate that...

It's possible the PS3 uses a differently formatted stream than the AppleTV which is being filtered different on the ISP end. Your friend have the same ISP?

I think that is the reason. Every streaming device uses different methods to access netflix. I think that's why I have no issues with Sony blu ray player, but have issues with my Atv. I'm sure apple will eventually fix this, but who knows how long it will take.

striker33
Apr 7, 2012, 05:54 AM

One of them was on TalkTalk @ 12mbps, the other BT @ 8mbps.

Like you said it could all be down to the codecs used.

As far as I know ATV doesnt support Silverlight does it?

striker33
Apr 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Quick update.

Was told to test my ATV over my phone's 3G (5mbps+) and still had the same results. My ISP also said that my broadband speed wasnt as high as it should be, but they only increased it by 600kbps (up to 6.8mbps).

Both resulted in the same 'High / SD' quality what you'd get on PS3. Still refuses to play HD.

Last ditch effort is to change out the original Sky router. But its looking increasingly likely that something just doesnt work properly with the ATV. My guess would be the ATV itself struggling with the adaptive streaming netflix uses. Either that or for some reason it is requesting more bandwidth than necessary.

darster
Apr 10, 2012, 11:34 AM
I wish netflix had a built in internet speed test like VUDU does in it's settings. That way you can find out the real speed from your device to their servers. Might help us narrow down the problem.

Yorchace
Apr 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
Quick update.

Was told to test my ATV over my phone's 3G (5mbps+) and still had the same results. My ISP also said that my broadband speed wasnt as high as it should be, but they only increased it by 600kbps (up to 6.8mbps).

Both resulted in the same 'High / SD' quality what you'd get on PS3. Still refuses to play HD.

Last ditch effort is to change out the original Sky router. But its looking increasingly likely that something just doesnt work properly with the ATV. My guess would be the ATV itself struggling with the adaptive streaming netflix uses. Either that or for some reason it is requesting more bandwidth than necessary.

I live in Peru and I'm having the same issue. I can view Netflix on HD with my PS3 and with my laptop, but I got SD quality with my ATV3. I am completely sure its an ATV issue not using the whole bandwidth of my connection. By the way my internet connection is 5mbps, but its just used by about 20% streaming from the ATV whereas the PS3 manages to use 80% of my bandwidth. Maybe the ATV uses some kind of QoS wich don't let it use more than 20% of the whole bandwidth. Hope Apple will fix the problem on a future software update.

striker33
Apr 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
I wish netflix had a built in internet speed test like VUDU does in it's settings. That way you can find out the real speed from your device to their servers. Might help us narrow down the problem.

I've been calling Netflix themselves to find out the speeds on my ATV.

Its free so I dont lose out on anything, and it keeps them aware of the issue.

For my PS3 its easy enough though, as pressing the 'select' button brings up the speed and quality settings.

Basically I wait around 10-15 seconds for X-High/HD to kick in, which is basically 1080p @ 4.7mbps.

My ATV only allows around 1.05mbps to go through according to Netflix. Which is effectively a high standard definition quality, similar to what the non-HD iPad app gives.

It will be interesting to see how the Netflix app plays out when it does support 1080p though.

smashie
Apr 10, 2012, 04:53 PM
Quick question, how can you tell if it's streaming in HD? I know the difference

between SD and HD can be seen easily but I am not convinced that it's

anywhere near 1080p but can't found out how I check for sure :confused:

whooleytoo
Apr 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
I've noticed a repeating pattern happening with my Netflix videos. I start watching, and the quality is very good, HD. After 15-20 seconds, it pauses, buffers, and resumes playing, but in SD. It's still reasonably good quality, but certainly not HD any more. And just now it dropped to Youtube-esque quality.

And I still get periodic issues with the sound suddenly jumping several seconds out of sync; and the last couple of days I've had 2 instances where I got a "Netflix is deactivated on this device..." errors.

I've not had any such problems with other videos on the ATV; and I have a 30Mbps connection; so it's not that.

striker33
Apr 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
Well after 2 hours of having my network down, hacking into my ISP supplied router, and applying settings to about 5 different routers, its clear that it is not my ISP or the supplied router, or my network for that matter.

I was going to try with my phone's 3G, but for some reason the personal hotspot feature refuses to appear under settings. Doesnt anyone know how to get this up?

----------

Quick question, how can you tell if it's streaming in HD? I know the difference

between SD and HD can be seen easily but I am not convinced that it's

anywhere near 1080p but can't found out how I check for sure :confused:

On the Apple TV the only way to check is to have another Netflix device for comparison.

You know its SD on the ATV easily by looking at plain backgrounds, such as painted walls etc in a movie or tv show, i.e. The Office. The wall will not be one colour, and will appear pixellated and muddled. You can also tell by the noise around moving objects.

Anything HD, even low quality HD, will have very little in the way of noise or artifacts.

You'll know 1080p when you see it though. Its miles ahead of anything you'll get on satellite/cable. Not quite as good as Apple's new 1080p content, but not far off either.

striker33
Apr 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
Okay I've tried the personal hotspot feature after resetting my iPhone's network settings.

My PS3 managed to stream at High-HD for a minute or so. I didnt want to see if it went any higher due to only having a 500MB data cap, but it easily could have achieved 1080p. My Apple TV continued to play Netflix content at SD quality though.

So my conclusion is, poor software on the Apple TV for viewing Netflix. I dont know the specific problem, and neither do the Apple engineers, or so they say.

Looks like I'll be getting my refund afterall then. Most likely gonna go for a WD TV Live + 2TB My Book.

Edit: Sky now seem to have increased my speeds by 1mbps so far, up to 7mbps, yet still no improvement, although my PS3 seems to reach 1080p quality a few seconds faster now.

whooleytoo
Apr 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
For me, the problem seems to get worse every day. Last night I played a 43 minute TV episode, and playback stalled and buffered 4 times during playback, and twice the video & audio jumped out of sync so I had to leave back to the menu and jump back in again. And the video quality - started out (briefly) as HD, but was like a poor Youtube stream by the end.

Roy G Biv
Apr 14, 2012, 08:25 PM
Could this be Apple gimping Netflix to elevate their own iTunes services? We know they ignore Hulu because of this.

Medic278
Apr 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
I watch netflix every day on my apple tv and I never have had a problem with it.

WoodNUFC
Apr 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
My problems with Netflix on ATV2 and ATV3 is continual buffering. It makes watching anything unbearable. I'd rather watch SD content then have to suffer the non-stop buffering.

russell2
Apr 14, 2012, 09:03 PM
I'm experiencing something similar as well on all 3 of my new Apple TV 3rd generations. My Internet connection is Comcast Blast! that speedtests at ~35 Mbps and is sustained at all times above 20 Mbps.

My PS3 shows X-High/HD and 5.1 when I press the select button on the remote and online the silverlight player holding down "option/alt" and shift then clicking on the video and selecting Stream Manager shows my computer always using the highest setting. Both are Netflix "1080p" and it looks really good to me.

But the ATV 3 is no where near the quality of the PS3 or MacBook Pro streaming and it bugs me. Apple needs to allow you to see what quality your ATV is streaming for us quality consumed individuals.

FYI forget the it's your WiFi claims everyone is making I have all my ATV 3s on Ethernet. Though I failed to mention the first one I set up to replace the Apple TV 2 I had on WiFi and it took like 10 minutes to load 20 box covers and then when I clicked on one it wouldn't even stream and I just plugged it in and did so without a test on the other 2 new ATV 3s.

Ipadlover29
Apr 15, 2012, 01:17 AM
I longer have any issues with artifacting and pixelation in the last few days on my atv 2. Also the stuttering issue seems to have gone so far. Will keep you updated.

thatoneguy82
Apr 15, 2012, 05:15 AM
I have 3 ATVs, well 4 if you count the original not in use. I have 2 ATV2 and 1 ATV3. One is connected straight from the router (ATV2), the other (ATV3) is connected through an airport express going to a splitter. The last ATV2 is connected to a completely different router/internet(cable vs fios)/whatever since its the guest house. All of them work perfectly, I've not have any issues with Netflix. I frequently watch Netflix on all 3 TVs and the quality on all 3 never changes. So, I'm not sure why your ATV is having issues.

rockinred
Apr 15, 2012, 09:14 AM
Just give it up dude. I posted a thread like this that went on for days and fighting back and forth with a bunch of apple employees or fanboys. I have 2 ATV2 and just gave up and watch all my netflix on my PS3. I don't have any streaming issues on PS3. It's a known issue for more than just a few. I gave up and use ATV for itunes movies that I rent and my icloud music. Glad I only paid $99.

I wouldn't touch your ISP settings like suggested. I have all kinds of Apple toys, but I am far from a fanboy. I use what is best for me. In this case it is most definitely the PS3 for netflix in comparison. In some rooms I use the ATV for it, but even the wii gets less interruptions. ATV has the best interface for Netflix hands down. Sometimes I browse movies on it and then switch and watch it on PS3. I'd suggest the same and stop banging your head against a wall looking for a solution that is not there.

spacepower7
Apr 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
Could this be Apple gimping Netflix to elevate their own iTunes services? We know they ignore Hulu because of this.

You might be right but....

I'd say Hulu might not want to be on the AppleTV, they would rather people watch regular TV and commercials on the HDTV. It's the commercials that pay for the production of TV shows, not Hulu subscriptions.

Also Hulu blocked streaming from the web browser on the GoogleTV.

I think Hulu is testing the waters on other devices before they will allow it on the AppleTV. Considering that Apple has sold more AppleTV 2 boxes, last estimated to be double of the amount of all Roku boxes, Hulu may be analyzing usage and proper pricing options?

Just a thought.

----------

I'm experiencing something similar as well on all 3 of my new Apple TV 3rd generations. My Internet connection is Comcast Blast! that speedtests at ~35 Mbps and is sustained at all times above 20 Mbps.

My PS3 shows X-High/HD and 5.1 when I press the select button on the remote and online the silverlight player holding down "option/alt" and shift then clicking on the video and selecting Stream Manager shows my computer always using the highest setting. Both are Netflix "1080p" and it looks really good to me.

But the ATV 3 is no where near the quality of the PS3 or MacBook Pro streaming and it bugs me. Apple needs to allow you to see what quality your ATV is streaming for us quality consumed individuals.

FYI forget the it's your WiFi claims everyone is making I have all my ATV 3s on Ethernet. Though I failed to mention the first one I set up to replace the Apple TV 2 I had on WiFi and it took like 10 minutes to load 20 box covers and then when I clicked on one it wouldn't even stream and I just plugged it in and did so without a test on the other 2 new ATV 3s.

Maybe this could be the problem?

Comcast Blast is similar to Time Warner TurboBoost that I have.

In think mine is 30 Mbps for the first 30 megabytes, then it switches down to a sustained 15-20 Mbps.

Maybe the software on the AppleTV has a hard time telling the Netflix servers what the true speed is? The Netflix servers are seeing my connection speed drop in half after the first 30 megabytes?

Just a thought

P0stalTek
Apr 15, 2012, 09:10 PM
I'll tell you what.

This thread sure has me thankful I went with a roku instead of ATV. Even though at the time I thought I was making a mistake. It streams everything flawlessly.

Sorry for everyone's troubles though :/

darster
Apr 15, 2012, 10:10 PM
I'll tell you what.

This thread sure has me thankful I went with a roku instead of ATV. Even though at the time I thought I was making a mistake. It streams everything flawlessly.

Sorry for everyone's troubles though :/

Except when it comes to streaming MLB. Roku has problems. I have both, and roku buffers a lot more than the ATV3.

P0stalTek
Apr 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
My roku has never buffered. Believe me, I'd love to say the ATV is better. I do not watch baseball on it though so I cannot comment on that. Netflix, Hulu, and amazon are indeed flawless for me.

striker33
Apr 16, 2012, 04:28 PM
Quick update again.

My WDTV was working fine in 1080p when I first got it for Netflix. I then updated the firmware and Netflix is now inaccessible on the WD device and gives an error on each login attempt. There are numerous posts on the WD forums regarding it, and it seems to be a common issue which WD dont want to fix. I dont have much luck at all. It has been sent back for a refund.

I'm still talking to Apple though, and everything is being passed on to the Apple engineers. Who knows where it will lead. Until the issue is resolved however, I have since renewed my LoveFilm subscription, and am simply ripping blu rays etc to a NAS and streaming them to my ATV.

Ipadlover29
Apr 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
I was streaming some content last night and noticed the stuttering is back again. Haven't noticed any artifacting or pixelation any more.

whooleytoo
Apr 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
I tried a "workaround" over the last few nights. I started an episode, then paused it as soon as it started. I left it for maybe 20 minutes while doing other things, then played it and it played through with perfect quality, no hiccups, no audio sync problems. Then I played the next episode and... 20 seconds in it stuttered and dropped in quality (as I expected, it didn't have sufficient buffering time).

Tried the same thing the following evening, and both episodes played flawlessly. Tried again yesterday, and the second episode again stuttered and worsened dramatically in quality.

That leads me to think it's not likely to be an ATV fault, since sometimes it plays HD videos perfectly. I'd be more inclined to believe it's down to Netflix's servers becoming busier - it has been heavily promoted here lately. If the ATV stream is served separately to the PS3/360 streams (is it?) that would explain why playback differs on those platforms.

striker33
Apr 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
I tried a "workaround" over the last few nights. I started an episode, then paused it as soon as it started. I left it for maybe 20 minutes while doing other things, then played it and it played through with perfect quality, no hiccups, no audio sync problems. Then I played the next episode and... 20 seconds in it stuttered and dropped in quality (as I expected, it didn't have sufficient buffering time).

Tried the same thing the following evening, and both episodes played flawlessly. Tried again yesterday, and the second episode again stuttered and worsened dramatically in quality.

That leads me to think it's not likely to be an ATV fault, since sometimes it plays HD videos perfectly. I'd be more inclined to believe it's down to Netflix's servers becoming busier - it has been heavily promoted here lately. If the ATV stream is served separately to the PS3/360 streams (is it?) that would explain why playback differs on those platforms.

The Apple TV and PS3 both use the same servers, as they both use the same form of encoding etc.

I dont think its down to servers being busy, as my PS3 gets 1080p at any time of day, where as my ATV cant even reach the highest Standard Definition quality.

CrzyP
Apr 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
Netflix on my PS3 has way better PQ than my ATV3. I've tried all the HDMI settings and even have them plugged in the same source on my TV. My PS3, Sammy bluray, and Sammy TV blow ATV3 out of the water in terms of PQ. I get the same artifacts when renting from the iTunes store too. Very disappointing! 20 mb connection BTW.

Ipadlover29
Apr 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
Netflix on my PS3 has way better PQ than my ATV3. I've tried all the HDMI settings and even have them plugged in the same source on my TV. My PS3, Sammy bluray, and Sammy TV blow ATV3 out of the water in terms of PQ. I get the same artifacts when renting from the iTunes store too. Very disappointing!

Same artifacts on iTunes store rentals?? That's crazy I thought it was only Netflix streaming that was affected. Apple needs to get their act together.

CrzyP
Apr 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
Yeah. I wanted to switch from vudu rentals because iTunes is cheaper for 1080p content. Not impressed with ATV so far. Only thing I find useful is iTunes match and AirPlay with Pandora. $100 paper weight IMO.

Mantasis
Apr 17, 2012, 02:31 AM
My 3rd gen works at top quality at all times. I've seen this problem in other people's netflix devices too... I've seen default language issues as well...(settings through the site and device were set properly, yet problem persisted)

whooleytoo
Apr 17, 2012, 06:06 AM
The Apple TV and PS3 both use the same servers, as they both use the same form of encoding etc.

I dont think its down to servers being busy, as my PS3 gets 1080p at any time of day, where as my ATV cant even reach the highest Standard Definition quality.

You may be right, but I find it strange that I used to be able to watch HD Netflix videos with great quality and no stalls or audio de-sycning (and occasionally, I still can). But more and more, they now stall after 15-20 seconds and the picture quality degrades. Resetting the ATV has no effect.

If it were some ATV hardware/software fault, I'd expect it to be more consistent and not degrading over time.

striker33
Apr 17, 2012, 06:40 AM
You may be right, but I find it strange that I used to be able to watch HD Netflix videos with great quality and no stalls or audio de-sycning (and occasionally, I still can). But more and more, they now stall after 15-20 seconds and the picture quality degrades. Resetting the ATV has no effect.

If it were some ATV hardware/software fault, I'd expect it to be more consistent and not degrading over time.

Well according to Netflix, my issue is caused by my Apple TV connection to a VPN instead of directly to my ISP, which is causing the issues. However this is limited only to Netflix, as 1080p itunes content is fine. The VPN is called 'VPS Senior Gift Solutions', and I have no idea what it is.

Apple havent ruled out calling my ATV in for further testing though, which I can see as being the only plausible way of finding a solution at the moment.

whooleytoo
Apr 18, 2012, 04:41 PM
Well according to Netflix, my issue is caused by my Apple TV connection to a VPN instead of directly to my ISP, which is causing the issues. However this is limited only to Netflix, as 1080p itunes content is fine. The VPN is called 'VPS Senior Gift Solutions', and I have no idea what it is.

Apple havent ruled out calling my ATV in for further testing though, which I can see as being the only plausible way of finding a solution at the moment.

Strange! Perhaps there is more than one issue? At least, I'm not aware of my ATV having the same issue, but how would I know?

Incidentally, Netflix playback has been flawless for me the last couple of days. Is it still problematic for you?

Consultant
Apr 18, 2012, 04:58 PM

Perhaps your router has a dns changer malware.

Roy G Biv
Apr 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
My cousin knows a couple of the guys who work on the ATV coding, and he says that the reason Netflix is so bad is rather than working, they are playing Plants vs Zombies all the time.

striker33
Apr 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
Perhaps your router has a dns changer malware.

It only affects Netflix on the ATV though, and I have tried various different routers, both old and new.

I have had an email from Apple saying the Netflix and Apple engineers are working on it, so I'm hopeful of a fix.

Toby Ziegler
Apr 20, 2012, 11:17 PM
Same problem here...I'll start watching something, the quality is fantastic for the first 30 seconds and then it looks like I'm watching a YouTube video uploaded five years ago.

My XBox will stream in HD all day long with no problem, but the ATV looks like crap. I did the full restore hoping that might help it, which it didn't. Really hoping this issue gets sorted since I use Netflix almost daily.

spacepower7
Apr 20, 2012, 11:47 PM

Ok, so you have a VPN, but you didn't knows this 6 pages ago? I ask bc I sincerely believe you didn't but that causes a whole new issue. Is this vpn related to your router software?

spacepower7
Apr 21, 2012, 12:01 AM

How do you know they use the same servers? Does the GUI in the PS3 tell you the Netflix server IP address, which could be a distribution IP address kind of like your home router has one external IP and many internal for each device. I know the AppleTV doesn't tell us the ip address of netflix.

What does the PS3 use for Netflix playback? Macs and PCs use Silverlight but the AppleTV does not.

When you say the same servers, you are actually talking about hundreds or possibly thousands of rackmount servers. Some could be dedicated to serving Silverlight streams while very few are dedicated to serving AppleTv streams because Netflix doesn't anticipate many AppleTV users in your region

Just some thoughts.

steve-p
Apr 21, 2012, 04:26 AM
Try it without the VPN as at least it will eliminate it as the cause.

steve dave
Apr 21, 2012, 05:43 AM
Try it without the VPN as at least it will eliminate it as the cause.

Lol. Brilliant!

I think the point is that it's not his VPN and he doesn't know why it is being routed there or how to stop it.

spacepower7
Apr 24, 2012, 12:20 AM
Lol. Brilliant!

I think the point is that it's not his VPN and he doesn't know why it is being routed there or how to stop it.

Lol thanks for your helpful contribution to our thread trying to resolve someone's problems

Please contribute something educational or leave

lcm123
Apr 24, 2012, 02:15 AM
I just want to let you know that I have had the same problem with my 3 atv2 that i bought when the first came out. My internet speed was 3mb/s and netflix was always streamed at SD. It was unpleasant for a while, until recently when i started to suspect the problem has something to do with the internet speed (and after replacing one of my atv2 with the new atv3 without any improvement).

As soon as i upgraded my internet to 6mb/s, it started to stream netflix at a higher resolution, though i was still not satisfied because it still didn't look like 1080p (i used itunes trailer on atv as a comparison to determine its resolution). Then, i upgraded to 12mb/s, and voila, all my atv's started to stream in 1080p (except 1080i on atv2 of course).

If you are on a month to month plan with your ISP, i suggest doing a little experimeny, by upgrading to 12mb/s and see what happens.

Good luck!

roidy
Apr 24, 2012, 04:30 AM
If you are on a month to month plan with your ISP, i suggest doing a little experimeny, by upgrading to 12mb/s and see what happens.

People arn't going to throw extra money at their ISP's when Netflix plays perfectly fine in HD on other devices like the Roku or PS3, meaning it's not a speed problem, it's an ATV problem. I'm not saying the extra speeed is a bad thing, it seems to have helped you, but it's shouldn't be needed when other devices stream in HD without an increase in internet speed.

I was in the same position, I signed up for the free 1 month trial and it streamed perfectly in HD everytime on my PS3, but would only manage SD on my ATV2.

whooleytoo
Apr 24, 2012, 06:11 AM

Good luck!

That might help, but I was seeing the same issues and I'm on a 30Mbps connection. (For me, the problem now seems to have gone away, for 4 or 5 days now).

Edit - oh well, I spoke too soon. It had been perfect for the last few days, then last night I was playing and it stalled 3 times (for perhaps 20 seconds each time) in the first minute of an episode, and quality dropped to the SD stream. Booooooh!

Bralley
Apr 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
I know someone mentioned earlier in the thread about changing out your HDMI cable though I didn't see your response if you had tried that.

I don't have Netflix at the moment, but I was having a flickering issue while watching my iTunes content that I was able to resolve by swapping to a different HDMI cable. Maybe this could help?

Hope you get your problem resolved.

boros
Apr 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
A month or so ago, I'd get a 5 second buffer, on a 30 minute show. Now, I get a 5 minute buffer, for every 5 minutes of NetFlix. This issue is getting worse, and not better, for me. NetFlix works great on: iPad, iPhone, iMac, Kindle Fire, and Roku.

It's horrible on both my ATV2 and my ATV3. Really, it's frustrating and unusable. I give up, and I just ordered a 2nd Roku. As much of my video viewing is Hulu, anyhow, I'll get that too.

If it wasn't for Airplay, I'd ditch my ATV boxes. I have a few Airplay docks, so that may be hard. But I am now in the process of looking for an AirTunes alternative. It was bad enough that there was no Hulu, but horrible NetFlix performance is the last straw. I am not paying 99 cents an episode, on the Apple Store.

Oh, and speaking of Airplay/iTunes - iTunes now crashes every hour or so, when I'm using Airplay. That's an exciting new development, as well. It's starting to feel as if Apple now has quality issues... again. This Apple TV is starting to feel like my old LC II... LOL

Rideherhard
Apr 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Netflix sucks on the AppleTV2, it's a very poor picture, on XBox or PS3 it's prefect in HD.

gopnick
Apr 27, 2012, 07:29 AM
Oh, and speaking of Airplay/iTunes - iTunes now crashes every hour or so, when I'm using Airplay.

For some reason, I can't play videos via AirPlay from my wife's iPhone 4S. Multiple restarts for phone and ATV have proven fruitless. The newest software revision has some serious problems.

I am not paying 99 cents an episode, on the Apple Store.

Try $2.99. :( Apple eliminated the 99 cent rental program. All you can do is buy, now.

OP: My ATV2 was great until this newest software revision. Now I have all sorts of problems streaming from iOS devices. My Netflix content never looked great, just because my 16 Mbps connection slows to about 2 Mbps in the evenings. But, that shouldn't affect iOS devices on my home network.

My advice, if you can do it, is to wait for the next software update. If you can't I understand, but integrating with the rest of your Apple ecosystem is pretty cool, and it's something that Roku can't do. :)

Good luck!

Nychot
Apr 27, 2012, 09:18 AM
Netflix sucks on the AppleTV2, it's a very poor picture, on XBox or PS3 it's prefect in HD.

Weird because its superior on my jail broken atv2 cimpared to my roku picture-wise.

boros
Apr 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah, the integration with the rest of my ecosystem is a challenge. But I'm looking into ways I can do that. Or, I'm looking into ways of getting my library off Apple, entirely. Really, this bugginess is just getting worse.

On another note, I've now been streaming NetFlix and Hulu off of my Roku with ZERO buffer delays. Really, it's now weird to watch a video without any interruptions. Yes, zero delays! As in, I watch a 2hr movie, and it plays seamlessly, for two hours! This is like cable, but on-demand and free! Done with all the ATV NetFlix buffer delays and iTunes crashes...

My advice, if you can do it, is to wait for the next software update. If you can't I understand, but integrating with the rest of your Apple ecosystem is pretty cool, and it's something that Roku can't do. :)

Good luck!

striker33
Apr 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
For some reason, I can't play videos via AirPlay from my wife's iPhone 4S. Multiple restarts for phone and ATV have proven fruitless. The newest software revision has some serious problems.

Try $2.99. :( Apple eliminated the 99 cent rental program. All you can do is buy, now.

OP: My ATV2 was great until this newest software revision. Now I have all sorts of problems streaming from iOS devices. My Netflix content never looked great, just because my 16 Mbps connection slows to about 2 Mbps in the evenings. But, that shouldn't affect iOS devices on my home network.

Good luck!

I'm way past the returns period anyway for it. The only way to get a refund would be directly through Apple, and I doubt they'd go down that route without a fight.

Till Netflix is working, I'm simply renting blu-rays via LoveFilm and ripping them and using iTunes as a media server, with all my iTunes content stored on a 2TB NAS drive.

It takes just as long to convert the rips to a smaller MP4 file as it does to convert MKV to MKV, so I figure I may as well get something out of my ATV. There isnt another streamer on the market which is as quick as the ATV when it comes to navigating, and I couldnt use the WDTV purely because Netflix was broken completely thanks to the latest firmware. At least Netflix works on the ATV, albeit, only in SD.

I still tend to watch my SD content on the ATV due to the better interface, but for HD, the PS3 really is the only device I can use atm.

Still havent heard anything back from Apple, so I will be firing off an email pretty soon to check for any updates.

boros
Apr 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Well, the Airtunes/iTunes integration is still a good thing. But I can't tell you how goo it is to stream NetFlix, without delays. And My God, Hulu Plus looks amazing, on my Roku. The interface is different, but I've now gotten used to it. And there are some things about it I really like (eg. only have tiles for "channels" I watch). I bought the $90 model, but I suspect the $60 model would have done me just fine.

So now, my ATV is my home media library device. And my Roku is what I use for streaming. It sucks to have two devices, but I guess that's life for now. Even if Apple got the recent NetFlix issues sorted, I'd still use my Roku for Hulu. And I now realize how much of my ATV content was degraded, as the video on my Roku is simply stunning. If the Roku would work out Airplay/iTunes, I could throw my ATVs away.

Grrrr.... there is no one solution.

Oh, BTW, I also tried jailbreaking my ATV, for a bit. But it made the UI lame, and didn't help with my streaming issues. I just wish all this stuff was simple. Apple could be there, but their proprietary closedness (eg. Hulu) and bugginess are hurting them. No way in Heck I'd ever but an iTV, after dealing with this frustration.

Now really loving my Roku!

I'm way past the returns period anyway for it. The only way to get a refund would be directly through Apple, and I doubt they'd go down that route without a fight.

striker33
Apr 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
No way in Heck I'd ever but an iTV, after dealing with this frustration.

To be fair I wouldnt go near an Apple TV set anyway if the reports are to be believed. Plasma is the best way to experience movies in the home, and would surely be the best way to accompany the fancy new 1080p iTunes content that they'll try to sell you.

But they wouldnt do that. As LED makes things more shiny, and allows them to make a paper thin set.

Space Moose
Apr 28, 2012, 08:02 PM

Hey, I've read your issues with the AppleTV stream being different quality than on the PS3, and I think there might be an explanation:

http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/netflix-stream-seems-lower-quality-than-it-should-be.6/

Netflix uses a different streaming technology (presumably with different settings) for computers and the PS3 than it uses for other streaming devices (including the AppleTV).

Further, if you tried the US DNS (or another VPN) like unblock us, but were using your international Netflix account, then it would be using the different protocol and catalogue for the PS3 and the AppleTV.

You need a US Netflix account to truly access US Netflix on an AppleTV, even if you're using a VPN/DNS solution. This is not the case if you are using a computer or PS3, where your UK account will truly access US Netflix with the VPN/DNS solution.

Could be the explanation you're looking for...

There's more details on the thread above. It may be helpful to try to track the issue down there.

wxman2003
Apr 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
Hey, I've read your issues with the AppleTV stream being different quality than on the PS3, and I think there might be an explanation:

http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/netflix-stream-seems-lower-quality-than-it-should-be.6/

Netflix uses a different streaming technology (presumably with different settings) for computers and the PS3 than it uses for other streaming devices (including the AppleTV).

Further, if you tried the US DNS (or another VPN) like unblock us, but were using your international Netflix account, then it would be using the different protocol and catalogue for the PS3 and the AppleTV.

You need a US Netflix account to truly access US Netflix on an AppleTV, even if you're using a VPN/DNS solution. This is not the case if you are using a computer or PS3, where your UK account will truly access US Netflix with the VPN/DNS solution.

There's more details on the thread above. It may be helpful to try to track the issue down there.

This may be all true, but why does the Roku stream better than the ATV3 with Netflix? Granted, Netflix developed the initial Roku models, so perhaps they stream differently for the Roku as the do with the PS3. I don't it seeing getting much better between Apple and Netflix, especially since Apple is going after Epix which would be a major blow to Netflix as they could lose streaming rights to even more movies.

striker33
Apr 30, 2012, 08:40 AM

The PS3 and ATV use the same servers, streaming methods, etc, as one another. This has been confirmed to me many time by high level Netflix CS reps.

I have no idea what you're getting at with the US netflix thing. Streams perfectly fine in full HD on my PS3, SD on my ATV, the same as the UK Netflix. It makes no difference.

Like I said above though, as long as Apple refuse to fix the issue, I'll stick to ripping rented blu rays. It may be slightly illegal, but when companies cant deliver on their promises, this is what happens.

maturola
Apr 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
The PS3 and ATV use the same servers, streaming methods, etc, as one another. This has been confirmed to me many time by high level Netflix CS reps.

I have no idea what you're getting at with the US netflix thing. Streams perfectly fine in full HD on my PS3, SD on my ATV, the same as the UK Netflix. It makes no difference.

Like I said above though, as long as Apple refuse to fix the issue, I'll stick to ripping rented blu rays. It may be slightly illegal, but when companies cant deliver on their promises, this is what happens.

So using your logic, if you buy a car that promise 30MPG and you only get 24mpg, then you are just going to steal gas from the gas station??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Space Moose
Apr 30, 2012, 10:56 AM

I'm sure the Netflix CS reps told you that, but as is often the case with CS reps, they likely were provided with an incomplete picture and are wrong. Unblock-Us is a service which has done a lot of testing and fiddling with the various streaming sources, and they have found that there is *absolutely* a difference at the Netflix server-side between the PS3 stream and AppleTV streaming methods. They use different protocols and have different connection and verification settings, especially with regard to non-US accounts. There's more details about it described in this thread (http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/unblock-us-com-to-watch-us-netflix-hulu-comedy-central-etc-from-anywhere.2/).

You've been bashing your head against the wall trying to figure out the problem. If you're interested in figuring it out, and maybe helping others with the same problem, then this is your best lead.

----------

This may be all true, but why does the Roku stream better than the ATV3 with Netflix?

Streaming devices that are officially endorsed by Netflix, like the AppleTV, Wii, and Xbox all use a separate protocol with separate settings and checks. This is known and described in this thread (http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/unblock-us-com-to-watch-us-netflix-hulu-comedy-central-etc-from-anywhere.2/).

It may be that the Roku isn't an officially supported/endorsed/whatever device by Netflix, and since Netflix didn't put it out, it simply hacks in to connect to Netflix via the PC/iOS/PS3 service.

I'd be interested in tracking down to see if it is the issue described. If you're interested, it may help to further a dedicated discussion here (http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/netflix-stream-seems-lower-quality-than-it-should-be.6/).

wxman2003
Apr 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm sure the Netflix CS reps told you that, but as is often the case with CS reps, they likely were provided with an incomplete picture and are wrong. Unblock-Us is a service which has done a lot of testing and fiddling with the various streaming sources, and they have found that there is *absolutely* a difference at the Netflix server-side between the PS3 stream and AppleTV streaming methods. They use different protocols and have different connection and verification settings, especially with regard to non-US accounts. There's more details about it described in this thread (http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/unblock-us-com-to-watch-us-netflix-hulu-comedy-central-etc-from-anywhere.2/).

You've been bashing your head against the wall trying to figure out the problem. If you're interested in figuring it out, and maybe helping others with the same problem, then this is your best lead.

----------

Streaming devices that are officially endorsed by Netflix, like the AppleTV, Wii, and Xbox all use a separate protocol with separate settings and checks. This is known and described in this thread (http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/unblock-us-com-to-watch-us-netflix-hulu-comedy-central-etc-from-anywhere.2/).

It may be that the Roku isn't an officially supported/endorsed/whatever device by Netflix, and since Netflix didn't put it out, it simply hacks in to connect to Netflix via the PC/iOS/PS3 service.

I'd be interested in tracking down to see if it is the issue described. If you're interested, it may help to further a dedicated discussion here (http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/netflix-stream-seems-lower-quality-than-it-should-be.6/).

Actually, Netflix had their hands in the development of the Roku player. Didn't own it, but sure propped it up when Roku was the only device that could stream their service. So perhaps that is why it may work so well.

spacepower7
May 1, 2012, 12:12 AM

----------

Space Moose, you can't argue with someone that refuses to acknowledge facts, you'll get nowhere ;)

PCs, Macs, and Xboxes use Silverlight to playback Netflix. iOS devices do not.

I don't know about Roku, PS3, Wii etc..

There seems to be at least a minor something different in streams, even if it is just authorization protocols, that could change the communication between the player and the server. This could reduce the quality of the stream.

I swear that somewhere, maybe in this thread, that some devices use adaptive streaming but maybe the AppleTV does not.

Why doesn't the op return his device, Apple will surely refund it even after the 30 return period.

To OP
Get a refund and hold off repurchasing until they get your issues sorted out. If your customer service rep refuses to refund, ask for a manager, and if they refuse, ask for their boss. In 99% of cases Apple will do you right, refund or replacement. You'll be amazed what Apple CS will do for you if you are persistent.

striker33
May 1, 2012, 03:56 AM
I cant get a refund, as I didnt buy it direct from Apple. The authorized reseller I got it from will simply send it back to Apple for repair and issue me with a replacement.

chiefpavvy
May 1, 2012, 09:20 AM
One trick (may have already been mentioned) is to go on the web to your settings page on Netflix and confirm that "Highest" video quality at all times is selected. Just beware if you are using Netflix on a mobile device or limited data plan this will shoot it all to hell real fast!

Netflix has been great for me on Apple TV 2 and 3. Never had any issues, and I find the interface to be one of (if not the) best out there.

PS my connection is crap too a 7Mb DSL line which barely qualifies for "HD" content to begin with!

Ipadlover29
May 4, 2012, 01:53 AM
I recently upgraded my router from Dlink dir 655 to linksys e4200v2. I no longer have any issues with apple tv 2 with streaming Netflix. I no longer get pixilation, artifacting and stuttering.

Duff-Man
May 6, 2012, 11:12 PM
Duff-Man says...just another user piping in - I picked up an ATV3 and tried out the Netflix this weekend. Started a program and about 30 seconds in got some buffering and thought "uh oh" but that was the only instance (and we've seen that on the other Netflix devices on occasion) and we've now done 4 programs smoothly, so I'm happy. Great little box - love being able to stream the stuff from 3 computers to the big room....oh yeah!

MattG
May 7, 2012, 05:23 AM
Sorry to hear you're having problems. We have two ATV3s here, and we're on a 10MBit Internet connection. We've been watching TV shows in HD streamed over Netflix for the past couple of weeks, and overall it's been great. The picture looks good, and we've only had brief buffering issues once or twice. Hope you're able to get things sorted out!

CSpackler
May 7, 2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry to hear you're having problems. We have two ATV3s here, and we're on a 10MBit Internet connection. We've been watching TV shows in HD streamed over Netflix for the past couple of weeks, and overall it's been great. The picture looks good, and we've only had brief buffering issues once or twice. Hope you're able to get things sorted out!

Same here. Unfortunately for those having issues, the problem is probably on your end. Could be:

-something wrong with your network setup
-something wrong with your isp (weak cable signal, low speeds, DSL)

Just remember that your rated speed is usually nowhere near real world speeds. I have 20mb/s and it just keeps up with high quality Apple streams.

FYI I got my cable modem replaced about a month ago, everything was starting to download in short bursts resulting in lots of buffering on my ATV. Fixed the problem instantly.

Lindsford
May 7, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm new to ATV, found an ATV3 open box at bestbuy for $89.99 and had a $50 gift card, so decided to grab it.

Netflix works perfectly, and looks better then it did on my 360...However the iPad/iPhone mirror feature is why I got the ATV over a Roku or another similar product, which for me is an absolute let down. Lags terribly when paired with my iPad 3rd gen. Can hardly handle streaming music / video. Browsing the web works ok though. Any suggestions?

striker33
May 7, 2012, 09:55 PM
Same here. Unfortunately for those having issues, the problem is probably on your end. Could be:

-something wrong with your network setup
-something wrong with your isp (weak cable signal, low speeds, DSL)

Just remember that your rated speed is usually nowhere near real world speeds. I have 20mb/s and it just keeps up with high quality Apple streams.

FYI I got my cable modem replaced about a month ago, everything was starting to download in short bursts resulting in lots of buffering on my ATV. Fixed the problem instantly.

Nah its nothing to do with my end.

I could tell you why but I've explained the specifics loads of times in this thread :p

I should really update my original post with my later posts to avoid any future confusion.

Ipadlover29
May 7, 2012, 10:20 PM
I'm new to ATV, found an ATV3 open box at bestbuy for $89.99 and had a $50 gift card, so decided to grab it.

Netflix works perfectly, and looks better then it did on my 360...However the iPad/iPhone mirror feature is why I got the ATV over a Roku or another similar product, which for me is an absolute let down. Lags terribly when paired with my iPad 3rd gen. Can hardly handle streaming music / video. Browsing the web works ok though. Any suggestions?

Try getting the new 5.1.1 update. Has bug fixes for AirPlay. Personally I have no issues with AirPlay between my Atv 2 and iPad 2.

Raist3001
May 9, 2012, 09:18 PM

Well, this post for me has shattered any credibility you may have had in relation to this issue. You don't get what you want so you resort to being a thief?

striker33
May 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Try getting the new 5.1.1 update. Has bug fixes for AirPlay. Personally I have no issues with AirPlay between my Atv 2 and iPad 2.

Yeah I tried it the other day. Still has the same issues of no HD etc. I think it was just to correct the odd errors netflix sometimes encounters when browsing.

----------

Well, this post for me has shattered any credibility you may have had in relation to this issue. You don't get what you want so you resort to being a thief?

I'd suggest you go troll a different thread.

I pay to stream HD movies and TV shows, but Apple stops me from doing so. So I pay even more money to rent blu rays, to rip (which takes 4 hours per movie including encoding), to then stream (yes stream, the service I initially paid for) the movies or TV shows to my Apple TV in HD quality. And then never watch them again.

I fail to see the problem you have with any of that. Hence my accusation of trolling to simply get a reaction.

Roy G Biv
May 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Striker, your issue is with Apple. You're stealing from separate parties, the movie studios, to get back at Apple or to reclaim what's not rightfully yours?

If not trolling, I'd call this false entitlement. Stealing, too.

wmitch
May 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
I currently use a Samsung Bluray Player to stream netflix. The only reason I even bought it was for netflix and so I would only have 1 device instead of DVD player + something else. Well, for the last 6 mo it has been terrible and through several firmware updates it doesn't appear to be getting better and I have been able to confirm that it is directly related to the player itself not my network.

The errors I get are 1) constant rebuffering and 2) frequent "we can't play this title" messages

So, I'm thinking I'll sell that since I don't care about the blu ray player part and dust off an HDMI DVD player and buy a streaming device. I like the idea of Apple TV since I have an Ipad and soon (hopefully) a new macbook that will do Airplay but I'm concerned by the issues people are reporting with netflix wondering if I should just go w/a Roku.

So, Since the last update, what are the issues you guys still run into? Should I just go for the Roku? is it that much better for Netflix? (I know its cheaper)

thanks for your help!

striker33
May 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
Striker, your issue is with Apple. You're stealing from separate parties, the movie studios, to get back at Apple or to reclaim what's not rightfully yours?

If not trolling, I'd call this false entitlement. Stealing, too.

Its not stealing. Far from it.

I rent a move, rip it, watch it when I want, then delete it.

A 500GB HDD would fill up pretty fast if I was "stealing" all of these movies.

----------

I currently use a Samsung Bluray Player to stream netflix. The only reason I even bought it was for netflix and so I would only have 1 device instead of DVD player + something else. Well, for the last 6 mo it has been terrible and through several firmware updates it doesn't appear to be getting better and I have been able to confirm that it is directly related to the player itself not my network.

The errors I get are 1) constant rebuffering and 2) frequent "we can't play this title" messages

So, I'm thinking I'll sell that since I don't care about the blu ray player part and dust off an HDMI DVD player and buy a streaming device. I like the idea of Apple TV since I have an Ipad and soon (hopefully) a new macbook that will do Airplay but I'm concerned by the issues people are reporting with netflix wondering if I should just go w/a Roku.

So, Since the last update, what are the issues you guys still run into? Should I just go for the Roku? is it that much better for Netflix? (I know its cheaper)

thanks for your help!

If you really need the blu ray functionality, I'd suggest a PS3, as it offers blu ray and the best Netflix picture/sound quality.

You could always buy the Apple TV and try it first. If it doesnt work, its very easy to return it.

heisenberg123
May 14, 2012, 08:32 AM
Its not stealing. Far from it.

I rent a move, rip it, watch it when I want, then delete it.

A 500GB HDD would fill up pretty fast if I was "stealing" all of these movies

LOL what?

for the record i "steal" torrent all my movies so im not looking down my nose at you but if you dont think its stealing that your funny

chappy87
May 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
Without changing the course of this thread entirely, this:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lluix6r76T1qcc8ul.jpg

tjcampbell
May 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
I think it is amazing on my apple tv. Game changer.

heisenberg123
May 14, 2012, 09:03 AM

Image (http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lluix6r76T1qcc8ul.jpg)

LOL :D i like it

BaldiMac
May 14, 2012, 09:10 AM

Just because there is a graphic for it, doesn't mean it's true. :)

LaDirection
May 14, 2012, 09:31 AM

How could there be an issue with ATV since it works for everyone BUT you? The problem is at your end. It works for me, it works for everyone but you.

If your claim is true, you have nothing else to gain on the internet. Your inquiry was as to wether this was normal with ATV. You now know it is not. Go back to the real world and contact all your tech support options to figure it out.

striker33
May 14, 2012, 09:47 AM

Love it :p

Apparently watching a movie which I've paid money to rent is stealing. Tomorrow I'm going to notify Universal, Sony, Paramount etc that a worldwide organisation running under the codename "BlockBuster" is allowing millions of people to steal movies every week by asking that they cough up a few $$$ per movie.

BaldiMac
May 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Love it :p

Apparently watching a movie which I've paid money to rent is stealing. Tomorrow I'm going to notify Universal, Sony, Paramount etc that a worldwide organisation running under the codename "BlockBuster" is allowing millions of people to steal movies every week by asking that they cough up a few $$$ per movie.

Apparently, but only if you care about the actual "laws". Whatever you "feel" is right is more important. :D

striker33
May 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
Apparently, but only if you care about the actual "laws". Whatever you "feel" is right is more important. :D

Well here in the UK, if a woman is pregnant and she walks by a police officer in the street, she can take his hat and have a piss in it, because thats the law.

Not all of them make sense ;)

In all honesty, people dont care about what you download or whatever as long as its for personal use. If you're down the pub every night trying to flog a few cheap DVDs on the other hand....

BaldiMac
May 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
Well here in the UK, if a woman is pregnant and she walks by a police officer in the street, she can take his hat and have a piss in it, because thats the law.

Not all of them make sense ;)

In all honesty, people dont care about what you download or whatever as long as its for personal use. If you're down the pub every night trying to flog a few cheap DVDs on the other hand....

That's a pretty self-serving interpretation. And one that doesn't actual change the fact that what you are doing is likely theft in that it deprives the copyright owner of their property rights.

crisg
May 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised this thread has gone on for so long.

5x iPad 3rd Gens returned due to terrible screens. Brand New iPod Touch and iPhone 4S returned due to distortion cause by touch screen on LCD. Apple suck at creating products with quality screens

Really says it all. OP doesn't like Apple and enjoys going on forums to voice his dissaproval. Any effort to resolve his issue--- ANY--- will result in a response that denies your help and places the blame on Apple. We get it, OP -- you don't like Apple. There are far more important things to do in life than to be the countervoice on an Apple-Centric forum.

rhett7660
May 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised this thread has gone on for so long.

Really says it all. OP doesn't like Apple and enjoys going on forums to voice his dissaproval. Any effort to resolve his issue--- ANY--- will result in a response that denies your help and places the blame on Apple. We get it, OP -- you don't like Apple. There are far more important things to do in life than to be the countervoice on an Apple-Centric forum.

Beat me to it. I have a feeling nothing we say or ask the op to do will have any effect on his/her situation.

Sell it and be done with it. You obvisouly don't like it and you don't like the explinations given here.

wxman2003
May 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
The problem with Netflix, not the ATV, is how much they compress the video. Now most of the time it does not look bad, but on dark scenes, especially on larger screens, the compression artifacts really stick out. On my 70 inch screen it is very obvious. I even rented an HD movie from iTunes, and although nowhere near as bad as Netflix, compression artifacts were again noticeable. Now for some that may be acceptable, but not for me. I'd rather rent a blu ray from Red Box for $1.50 and watch a much better picture than to stream and pay $4.99. With screens getting larger and larger, streaming companies are going to have to increase their bitrate or come out with different streaming hardware than what is currently available. Oddly, Vudu which streams at 9 Mbs for HD is still a lot better than 1080 HD content from iTunes. Heck, MLB streaming is a lot better than netflix. So I know it can be done, it's just that Netflix doesn't seem to think it's an issue. Perhaps that is why it's an outdated company and why Apple will probably eventually separate itself from them.

Ipadlover29
May 15, 2012, 09:35 PM

thanks for your help!

Give the apple tv a try you can always return if you have issues or don't like. I feel in love with the interface and how easy it was to use especially for Netflix. I've tried many devices for Netflix like: Samsung blu ray, Sony blu ray, Panasonic blu ray and wd tv live. Apple tv is by far the best. If you can get your hands on a refurb apple tv 2 that's even better. Once it's jailbroken you can install things like xbmc, plex, etc. This will allow to get tons of free content and apps like Hulu, crackle, etc. Lots of free content no need for cable or even Netflix for that matter.

Refurb apple tv 2s are only $70 (if you can get your hands on one)

Refurb apple tv 3's are $85

New apple tv 3's are $100

striker33
May 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
I love it when the Apple fanboys start posting hate comments towards people who have genuine problems with Apple devices.

Really does make me laugh. Instead of trying to defend your precious products, try helping people out, or simply say nothing at all.

Anyone who has read the feedback I have given in this thread directly from Apple and Netflix will know that it isnt a problem on my end, and that Apple are still investigating the issue. Coming on here and pointing the finger at me without doing a bit of research is the type of arrogance I'd expect from the Apple fan club.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering with a response. This comment will be deleted due to a few petty people reporting it, as with almost every post on these boards that isnt pro-Apple.

Oh and if you don't like my signature, otherwise known as THE TRUTH, just ignore it. Its not hard to simply ignore a piece of text on the INTERNET.

Che Castro
May 17, 2012, 06:53 PM
the netflix movies that say HD , are they 1080p or 720p on the ATV3 ?

How do i find this out

Ipadlover29
May 17, 2012, 08:34 PM

How do i find this out

At this point theres no real way to tell. Unless you watch them and see the difference. I hope Netflix changes this soon.

striker33
May 19, 2012, 07:37 AM

How do i find this out

The only way is to leave a stream playing for a few minutes, then ring Netflix to see what speed its streaming at.

As a reference, 1.1mbps is SD, 2.7mbps is HD/720p, and 4.7mbps is 1080p.

Che Castro
May 19, 2012, 08:38 PM
Ok i put the movie "drive" on

Called netflix and they said my current speed on that movie is 4.8mb live

Looks like it is 1080p :)

I am wired with ethernet

I keep my apple tv wired. & ps3 wireless , i use the atv the most

radiogoober
May 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
"Drive" was ****** incredible! Loved the music.

ATC
May 21, 2012, 09:13 PM
I'm having an issue with Netflix mirroring via my iPad and iPhone (using Apple's digital AV adapter and HDMI); the movie would look good on the iOS device but when I mirror it to my 50" HDTV it looks horrible.

My internet is a constant 25Mbps. I compared my PS3 to the above and the PS3 blows it away (difference is like Bluray vs VHS). I kept all variables constant to make a proper comparison (same TV, same internet connection, same movie, same time etc...)

To me it seems as though the Netflix app in the PS3 is superior to its equivalent iOS version (just a guess on my part) or maybe Netflix didn't have "iOS devices mirroring" in mind when they made their app (?).

Anyhow, the reason I'm posting here was to see if AT3 would be better but frankly I'd rather stick with iOS device mirroring as it's a lot cheaper and more flexible for me. I just wish this quality issue can be fixed. Wondering if contacting Netflix would help.

Ipadlover29
May 21, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'm having an issue with Netflix mirroring via my iPad and iPhone (using Apple's digital AV adapter and HDMI); the movie would look good on the iOS device but when I mirror it to my 50" HDTV it looks horrible.

My internet is a constant 25Mbps. I compared my PS3 to the above and the PS3 blows it away (difference is like Bluray vs VHS). I kept all variables constant to make a proper comparison (same TV, same internet connection, same movie, same time etc...)

To me it seems as though the Netflix app in the PS3 is superior to its equivalent iOS version (just a guess on my part) or maybe Netflix didn't have "iOS devices mirroring" in mind when they made their app (?).

Anyhow, the reason I'm posting here was to see if AT3 would be better but frankly I'd rather stick with iOS device mirroring as it's a lot cheaper and more flexible for me. I just wish this quality issue can be fixed. Wondering if contacting Netflix would help.

I've tried doing AirPlay mirroring with the Netflix app between my iPad 2 and my apple tv 2 and it does look pretty bad. The quality of the Netflix app from my apple tv 2 and iPad 2 on their own is much better.

ATC
May 22, 2012, 12:29 AM
I've tried doing AirPlay mirroring with the Netflix app between my iPad 2 and my apple tv 2 and it does look pretty bad. The quality of the Netflix app from my apple tv 2 and iPad 2 on their own is much better.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that I should move away from mirroring which is too bad as its such a convenient and cheap solution, but I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

Ipadlover29
May 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for confirming my suspicion that I should move away from mirroring which is too bad as its such a convenient and cheap solution, but I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

Mirroring and AirPlay works and looks great with other apps including games. It's just Netflix I noticed had picture quality issues so far.

striker33
Jun 1, 2012, 03:12 PM
The PS3 netflix app has just been updated it seems, which automatically shows the next episode once one has finished, with a preview etc, and 1-click play. Seems pretty decent, but still not as good as the Apple TV system.

I'm still awaiting a response from Apple. Sent off an email today asking for an update, a whole month after I last got a reply. :(

ElZeus
Jun 2, 2012, 02:16 PM
Hopefully they get together to iron out the bugs of Netflix on the ATV because it rocks on the iPhone + iPad. It sucks that a decent app like Netflix can be FAIL at times only on the ATV both on wireless and ethernet connection

thatoneguy82
Jun 2, 2012, 04:14 PM
Netflix works awesome on all 3 of my ATVs (2 2nd gen ATV, 1 3rd gen ATV). All pretty much stream HD with great picture/sound and all are on WiFi. Not one single problem since I've had it. I use it ALL THE TIME, EVERYDAY. I have a 60" and 50" LED LCD 120Hz and 240Hz 1080p TV sets with surround sound. Connection is VZ FiOS 25Mbps up/down with a dual band TC upstairs and a APE repeater downstairs.

wxman2003
Jun 5, 2012, 12:43 PM
Maybe Netflix overall will start getting better.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405326,00.asp

bbeagle
Jun 5, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hopefully they get together to iron out the bugs of Netflix on the ATV because it rocks on the iPhone + iPad. It sucks that a decent app like Netflix can be FAIL at times only on the ATV both on wireless and ethernet connection

It's got to be either your internet connection or a defective unit.

Netflix has worked flawlessly on the 3 Apple TVs in our household for the past 2+ years.

metaphored
Jun 5, 2012, 06:09 PM
Reached this thread through a search on "why my apple tv is so terrible at streaming compared to my ps3" and am half glad I found this thread. Good to be I am not alone, bad to understand it is a widespread.

Yeah, all cabled, time capsule, 20mb bandwith. PS3 in full HD all time, Apple TV2 struggling to not pause and buffer at all.

I suggest everyone DO the comparison with a PS3. The point is, everyone who is able to compare to other device sees the difference. and ATV is never the better one.

I missed someone saying that. If you only have your ATV as reference, maybe you are losing a lot of real HD while you watch in reality a SD streaming. Perception can be deceiving sometimes.

I tweaked, jailbreaked, tried 3G, used a VPN to isolate traffic shaping, rotated DNSses, directly wired the ATV to the cable modem, believe, I tried it all. And at all times, while the ATV struggled, the PS3 was able to deliver full HD in a matter of seconds when available.

I love apple and apple gadgets. I am writing this on a Mac. But I must recognize when something that should "just work" "just never works"....

howyoudoin
Jun 5, 2012, 06:21 PM
Reached this thread through a search on "why my apple tv is so terrible at streaming compared to my ps3" and am half glad I found this thread. Good to be I am not alone, bad to understand it is a widespread.

Yeah, all cabled, time capsule, 20mb bandwith. PS3 in full HD all time, Apple TV2 struggling to not pause and buffer at all.

I suggest everyone DO the comparison with a PS3. The point is, everyone who is able to compare to other device sees the difference. and ATV is never the better one.

I missed someone saying that. If you only have your ATV as reference, maybe you are losing a lot of real HD while you watch in reality a SD streaming. Perception can be deceiving sometimes.

I tweaked, jailbreaked, tried 3G, used a VPN to isolate traffic shaping, rotated DNSses, directly wired the ATV to the cable modem, believe, I tried it all. And at all times, while the ATV struggled, the PS3 was able to deliver full HD in a matter of seconds when available.

I love apple and apple gadgets. I am writing this on a Mac. But I must recognize when something that should "just work" "just never works"....

I'm actually one of the few that likes the picture quality on my Apple TV. I switched DNS to google's and have no issues with that. I have a 30mbps connection. The PS3 quality is good but it seems to drop down every once in a while (you can check this by pressing select when watching netflix and it'll tell you the quality)

metaphored
Jun 5, 2012, 06:51 PM
I'm actually one of the few that likes the picture quality on my Apple TV. I switched DNS to google's and have no issues with that. I have a 30mbps connection. The PS3 quality is good but it seems to drop down every once in a while (you can check this by pressing select when watching netflix and it'll tell you the quality)

Good to know there are persons doing this comparison. That is what I am looking for. Indeed sometimes quality on PS3 could fluctuate (I am a crazy select button monitor) but overall I think it is not relevant (the *worse* situations are seconds to high SD then going quickly to HIgh HD or x-High - I wish that would be the same with ATV).

PQ on ATV2 is almost all times plain SD with lots of artifacts around moving objects (high compression signal), no matter what I do... Suspected of traffic shaping on my provider side a while ago, but only a different protocol system as stated before here would explain why PS3 is HD and ATV2 SD (provider throttling one protocol and the other not?)... seeing so many people with the same problem and the only thing in common is ATV makes me even more puzzled... :mad:

wxman2003
Jun 5, 2012, 07:53 PM
Still can't understand why Netflix 1080p HD and MLB HD streaming is flawless on my Roku 2 XS, but sub par on my ATV3. Both hard wired to my Airport extreme base station. I have the router DNS set to 8.8.8.8 (google), and 60 mbs dl speeds. Have switched ethernet cables, powered router and ATV3 off and on, but still see issues at time. It's really noticeable on MLB where the ATV3 will switch between HD and SD, while no such problems occur with the Roku. On my second ATV3 and problems continue to exist. I may end up using my ATV3 as a paperweight.

diffengr
Jun 7, 2012, 10:40 AM
I've been around the interwebs long enough that I should know better. But I found the behavior of some of the people on this forum to striker33 shocking. Shocking enough to register, upvote every one of his posts, and write this ultimately ineffectual and meaningless post.

striker33 was clearly just trying to solve a problem, very technical, and considering the suggestions made, and was, considering, remarkably polite and calm. On the other hand, the gang that surrounded him started hating on him because their he found unhelpful their catechism of it's-your-internet*1000 / sunspots / can't-be-Apple / why-do-you-hate-kitties. To describe such unquestioning religious mobbery, I find "Fanboi" inaccurately positive (and overused into meaninglessness): I prefer "Applehole".

Not that it should matter, but I'm a professional iOS Developer. If I'm a hater, I have a strange way of showing it. Oh, and I'm having the exact problems striker33 is with ATV/Netflix, the ones "nobody else is having".

whooleytoo
Jun 7, 2012, 10:56 AM

Interesting, I didn't know you could do that in Netflix. For me, the picture quality on my ATV2 is excellent now, but several weeks ago it would frequently drop to "bad Youtube clip" quality, it would be good to have a little more detailed info available, thanks.

guspasho
Jun 7, 2012, 03:49 PM
I've been around the interwebs long enough that I should know better. But I found the behavior of some of the people on this forum to striker33 shocking. Shocking enough to register, upvote every one of his posts, and write this ultimately ineffectual and meaningless post.

striker33 was clearly just trying to solve a problem, very technical, and considering the suggestions made, and was, considering, remarkably polite and calm. On the other hand, the gang that surrounded him started hating on him because their he found unhelpful their catechism of it's-your-internet*1000 / sunspots / can't-be-Apple / why-do-you-hate-kitties. To describe such unquestioning religious mobbery, I find "Fanboi" inaccurately positive (and overused into meaninglessness): I prefer "Applehole".

Not that it should matter, but I'm a professional iOS Developer. If I'm a hater, I have a strange way of showing it. Oh, and I'm having the exact problems striker33 is with ATV/Netflix, the ones "nobody else is having".

It might have something to do with how OP seems to be more interested in blaming Apple than in fixing his problem.

* When OP encounters conflicting information (such as whether PS3 streams are different than ATV streams,) he chooses to believe that which enables him to continue to blame Apple.

* OP replaced his ATV once already, and that didn't fix it. The first thing that tells me is the problem lies somewhere else. This is a rare issue, according to total reported experience in this topic, and the probability of encountering two defective units is very low. But OP insists up and down the problem cannot lie anywhere else but with Apple.

* OP keeps coming back here to keep this topic going long after it is clear that we can't help him, expecting us to solve it, and complaining about Apple for not fixing a problem that most likely has nothing to do with the device in the first place.

So I'm not at all surprised that people are pissed at him.

crisg
Jun 7, 2012, 06:25 PM

Good thing you upvoted him; now everything is ok in the world :rolleyes:

His tunnel vision is aimed squarely on Apple -- he hates anything and everything Apple; paradoxically, perhaps masochistically, he keeps replacing what he believes to be "faulty" Apple products with more Apple products in an effort to further his personal hobby of Apple-hating. The forum has listed dozens upon dozens of possible solutions (or, at the least, sources of what could be his problem) yet he refutes every single one and continues to blame Apple and a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with. If anything, I'd say more lambasting is owed and it has been the FORUM that has been far too polite and patient with him.

spacepower7
Jun 7, 2012, 10:23 PM
Good thing you upvoted him; now everything is ok in the world :rolleyes:

His tunnel vision is aimed squarely on Apple -- he hates anything and everything Apple; paradoxically, perhaps masochistically, he keeps replacing what he believes to be "faulty" Apple products with more Apple products in an effort to further his personal hobby of Apple-hating. The forum has listed dozens upon dozens of possible solutions (or, at the least, sources of what could be his problem) yet he refutes every single one and continues to blame Apple and a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with. If anything, I'd say more lambasting is owed and it has been the FORUM that has been far too polite and patient with him.

Yeah this guy ignored any advice that would make him look stupid and he returned the iPad 3, 5 times for what reasons?? I'm all for helping people on this forum but this op isn't willing to listen to reason.

Geckotek
Jun 7, 2012, 10:50 PM
Broke down and setup my Netflix again. Connected it to the ATV3 I bought a few months ago that's been collecting dust. Quality sucked. Watched about 30 minutes of a movie before I gave up and started watching it on my Xbox 360.

Both devices connected to the same wireless, so not sure how it could be a connectivity/internet issue. Guess I'll read up on this thread to see what tricks people are trying.

steve-p
Jun 8, 2012, 02:58 AM
Broke down and setup my Netflix again. Connected it to the ATV3 I bought a few months ago that's been collecting dust. Quality sucked. Watched about 30 minutes of a movie before I gave up and started watching it on my Xbox 360.

Both devices connected to the same wireless, so not sure how it could be a connectivity/internet issue. Guess I'll read up on this thread to see what tricks people are trying.
Don't know what to tell you except I am watching an hour or two of Netflix every day now on ATV and the HD picture is excellent, and certainly comparable to broadcast HD from my satellite provider and HD content rented from iTunes. That's with wired Ethernet (via Homeplug 200) and 16mbps Internet.

I may try it on my 360 one day if Microsoft ever drop the unnecessary Live Gold subscription requirement/fee before allowing you to stream Netflix.

diffengr
Jun 8, 2012, 04:47 AM
striker33 OP
vtstarck "I'm having this EXACT issue."
Pheo "Netflix goes down on ATV while being up on other devices"
Nychot "I'm returning the 3"
Lunchbox700 "I'm having the same problem"
slffl "I'm returning the Apple TV as it's unable to stream Neflix"
Ipadlover29 "everything works great except Netflix streaming"
steve dave others work great, "could NEVER get anything but SD on the apple tv"
roidy "The PS3 worked perfectly, not a single issue, but the ATV2 was a nightmare"
darster "I can also attest to the poor streaming of netflix on the ATV3."
Yochace "I'm having the same issue"
whooleytoo "I got a "Netflix is deactivated on this device..." errors"
WoodNUFC "My problems with Netflix on ATV2 and ATV3 is continual buffering"
russell2 "I'm experiencing something similar" on 3 new ATV3s.
rockinred "I have 2 ATV2 and just gave up and watch all my netflix on my PS3"
CrzyP "Netflix on my PS3 has way better PQ than my ATV3"
TobyZiegler "Same problem here"
boros "It's horrible on both my ATV2 and my ATV3"
Rideherhard "Netflix sucks on the AppleTV2, it's a very poor picture"
gopnick "Now I have all sorts of problems"
metaphored "... apple tv is so terrible at streaming compared to my ps3"
wxman2003 "flawless on my Roku 2 XS, but sub par on my ATV3"
diffengr That's me!
Geckotek "I gave up and started watching it on my Xbox 360"

VS.

DARK N00DLE "That isn't a problem with your ATV then"
heliocentric "it's OK on everyone else's ATV"
P0stalTek "But many more have said their ATV 3 was fine"
Irishman "the VAST majority of people are NOT having this problem"
guspasho "This is a rare issue, according to total reported experience in this topic"
crisg "a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with"

diffengr
Jun 8, 2012, 04:59 AM
The forum has listed dozens upon dozens of possible solutions (or, at the least, sources of what could be his problem) yet he refutes every single one and continues to blame Apple and a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with.

By "refutes", do you mean, "tries them out and they don't work"? If not, I'm interested in the list of those solutions he's refuted (= "denied; not tried"), because he's sure tried a lot of stuff.

crisg
Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM
striker33 OP
vtstarck "I'm having this EXACT issue."
Pheo "Netflix goes down on ATV while being up on other devices"
Nychot "I'm returning the 3"
Lunchbox700 "I'm having the same problem"
slffl "I'm returning the Apple TV as it's unable to stream Neflix"
Ipadlover29 "everything works great except Netflix streaming"
steve dave others work great, "could NEVER get anything but SD on the apple tv"
roidy "The PS3 worked perfectly, not a single issue, but the ATV2 was a nightmare"
darster "I can also attest to the poor streaming of netflix on the ATV3."
Yochace "I'm having the same issue"
whooleytoo "I got a "Netflix is deactivated on this device..." errors"
WoodNUFC "My problems with Netflix on ATV2 and ATV3 is continual buffering"
russell2 "I'm experiencing something similar" on 3 new ATV3s.
rockinred "I have 2 ATV2 and just gave up and watch all my netflix on my PS3"
CrzyP "Netflix on my PS3 has way better PQ than my ATV3"
TobyZiegler "Same problem here"
boros "It's horrible on both my ATV2 and my ATV3"
Rideherhard "Netflix sucks on the AppleTV2, it's a very poor picture"
gopnick "Now I have all sorts of problems"
metaphored "... apple tv is so terrible at streaming compared to my ps3"
wxman2003 "flawless on my Roku 2 XS, but sub par on my ATV3"
diffengr That's me!
Geckotek "I gave up and started watching it on my Xbox 360"

VS.

DARK N00DLE "That isn't a problem with your ATV then"
heliocentric "it's OK on everyone else's ATV"
P0stalTek "But many more have said their ATV 3 was fine"
Irishman "the VAST majority of people are NOT having this problem"
guspasho "This is a rare issue, according to total reported experience in this topic"
crisg "a product that a VAST majority of users have no problem with"

I can't consider that -- negative bias in a thread dedicated to NEGATIVE opinions of a product will attract -- you guessed it -- negative reviews. You can't take a congregation of like-minded people and declare their shared views as proof of a majority -- or even a significant sample. That would be like going to a Republican convention and using that as proof that America is vastly and overwhelmingly Republican.

Here's the skinny: the ATV is a product that is VERY dependent on many factors to perform well. A short and not-complete list of these factors are: your ISP, your internal home wiring, your internet speed plan, your connections, your wireless connections, your neighbor's wireless connections (due to interference), the placement of the device, the router's quality, the router's other connected devices, the movie you're watching, network congestion, server congestion, and lofty expectations of a $99 product.

Every thing I listed above is different for every-single-user. Numerous and countless variables across MILLIONS of users will inevitably result in SOME users not getting OPTIMUM performance. It happens. The 1 thing that is NOT a variable is the ATV3 -- due to mass manufacturing, quality control and the assembly line -- anyone who owns an ATV3 has virtually the same product -- MILLIONS of times over. Errors happen. Apple is good about replacing products because they understand this.

To sit here and see all the variables that affect ATV3 performance and to continue to declare Apple to be the problem is... beyond the realm of logic. If you truly believe Apple is the problem, return your item and don't purchase Apple products anymore; the community is better off without you.

crisg
Jun 8, 2012, 11:51 AM
I was browsing thru cracked.com's articles and came up on this little tidbit. I think it's VERY relevant to this discussion.

When you shop, you probably rely on online feedback to avoid a bad purchase. But the feedback skews negative -- people who are satisfied with their purchases usually just go about their lives enjoying their new Flowbee or whatever. They don't think about logging on to Amazon and telling the world about how tight their hair is now. But the people who are dissatisfied -- WATCH OUT. Researchers put it this way:

"As online forums become more populated, for example, customers who are more positive and less involved tend to stick to the sidelines, while customers who are more involved and more critical take their place."

So online feedback tends to be either from people who are being negative or from people who are positive and see that other people are trashing the thing they're positive about. Now they have to speak up, just to try to negate the dickishness. One way or the other, the loudest, most negative people dictate the discussion. You've probably also seen this phenomenon in every single political discussion that has ever taken place online.

Read more: 5 Scientific Ways the Internet is Dividing Us | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19860_5-scientific-ways-internet-dividing-us_p2.html#ixzz1xDmlxmrk

from this cracked article. (http://www.cracked.com/article_19860_5-scientific-ways-internet-dividing-us_p2.html)

Also relevant, especially to op:

Take, for example, Facebook groups. We're talking about biased, like-minded people who specifically created their group in order to discuss their agenda. For the sake of argument, let's say the group was "We Want the Tupac Hologram to Make Out With the Freddie Mercury Hologram." So you know that some Tu-Fred love haters are going to make their way into the group and take over the conversation. In fact, researchers found that in a real political Facebook group, 17 percent of the posters were opposed to the very group they were participating in. They're just there to start ****, because they just couldn't leave it alone.

Geckotek
Jun 8, 2012, 03:24 PM
Here's the skinny: the ATV is a product that is VERY dependent on many factors to perform well. A short and not-complete list of these factors are: your ISP, your internal home wiring, your internet speed plan, your connections, your wireless connections, your neighbor's wireless connections (due to interference), the placement of the device, the router's quality, the router's other connected devices, the movie you're watching, network congestion, server congestion, and lofty expectations of a $99 product.

Every thing I listed above is different for every-single-user.

Problem with your argument, while it may be different for "every-single-user", it is identical from my ATV3 to my Xbox 360. Identical ISP, internal home wiring, internet speed plan, connections, wireless connections, neighbor's wireless connections, placement of the device, router quality, router's connected device, movie I'm watching, network congestion, server congestion, and expectations. So.....try again. Thank you.

I have many Apple devices at this point and I'm far from an Apple hater. But I'm having issues with my ATV3 playing back Netflix. I don't appreciate someone coming into this forum and dismissing the fact that I have an issue and telling me that I should just return it and not purchase an Apple product. If you have something of value to add, please share it. That is why I came to this thread, to look for a solution. Otherwise, why are you involved in this discussion in the first place?

crisg
Jun 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
Problem with your argument, while it may be different for "every-single-user", it is identical from my ATV3 to my Xbox 360. Identical ISP, internal home wiring, internet speed plan, connections, wireless connections, neighbor's wireless connections, placement of the device, router quality, router's connected device, movie I'm watching, network congestion, server congestion, and expectations. So.....try again. Thank you.

I have many Apple devices at this point and I'm far from an Apple hater. But I'm having issues with my ATV3 playing back Netflix. I don't appreciate someone coming into this forum and dismissing the fact that I have an issue and telling me that I should just return it and not purchase an Apple product. If you have something of value to add, please share it. That is why I came to this thread, to look for a solution. Otherwise, why are you involved in this discussion in the first place?

There is no problem with my argument; no need to "try again, thank you" as you so politely put it. The reason you have different results between your ATV3 and your Xbox is because your Xbox is not an ATV3. They have different internals, technology, wireless / wired cards, and they should -- as one is an inexpensive mediabox and the other is a dedicated gaming console.

If you had two ATV3's next to each other and they performed differently, THEN come here and ask what the problem with one of them is. Until then, you are introducing variables into your problem and asking why the two are different. Two different products don't perform the same. If you don't like the ATV3's performance, make your life easier by sticking with your Xbox and returning your ATV3. That isn't to say you shouldn't buy any more Apple products -- it just means you didn't like this one, it isn't to your standards, and you can save yourself the grief by moving on and sticking with what you're happy.

diffengr
Jun 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
I was browsing through XKCD, and I came upon a comic that I thought was very relevant to this discussion:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tornadoguard.png

I would think it obvious that even if a problem afflicts a small percentage of users:

1) it would not invalidate them or their problems
2) there nevertheless can be a problem with the product itself, just one that most people never uncovered

This is consumer electronics 101, frankly.

And sure, a topic about troubles with any product will disproportionately attract other having-troubles. Makes sense. Maybe they can help each other. What doesn't make sense is that those with no-troubles would feel such entitlement to own that topic, and to tell the having-troubles how screwed-up, ignorant, and illogical they are. Put another way, why are you still here?

diffengr
Jun 8, 2012, 07:46 PM
The point of my listing wasn't that the having-troubles outnumber/outvote no-troubles. It was to juxtapose the "(practically) nobody's having these problems" statements, with the actual, significant number of people who are declaring -- in the same topic & often uncategorically -- that they're having these problems.

Among the interesting implications is perhaps that there is some deeper reason why the having-troubles are so hard for some to see, accept, and validate?

diffengr
Jun 8, 2012, 08:04 PM
To sit here and see all the variables that affect ATV3 performance and to continue to declare Apple to be the problem is... beyond the realm of logic. If you truly believe Apple is the problem, return your item and don't purchase Apple products anymore; the community is better off without you.

Just... wow. That kind of sums it all up right there. Stop criticizing Apple or get out.

So, logic.

1) Criticising ATV as a product does not equal declaring Apple is the problem. I like Apple a lot. So far, ATV not so much.

2) To sit here and see all the variables that affect ATV3 performance and to continue to declare that ATV3 is not the problem, that is what defies logic to me. Because collectively, there are quite a number of us who have seen that same "a lot that can go wrong" successfully navigated by ROKU, PS3, XBox, my way-old MBP running Silverlight through the browser.

3) I have two cords. With these, I plug in ITEM-A, and can watch HD Netflix flawlessly. I unplug ITEM-A, plug-in ITEM-B, Netflix is problematic. What does logic -- and by logic, I mean Occam's Razor -- tell you that you should blame first for this change?

Geckotek
Jun 8, 2012, 08:21 PM
There is no problem with my argument; no need to "try again, thank you" as you so politely put it. The reason you have different results between your ATV3 and your Xbox is because your Xbox is not an ATV3. They have different internals, technology, wireless / wired cards, and they should -- as one is an inexpensive mediabox and the other is a dedicated gaming console.

Congrats, I think you just made the other guy's point. But you're still wrong.

Either way, there is something wrong w/ my ATV3...or with all ATV3s. It's not like Apple to advertise a product that streams Netflix in 1080p when it actually can't. I'd like to figure out what's wrong instead of argue with you, so please exit this conversation unless you have something constructive to add.

Rideherhard
Jun 9, 2012, 03:53 PM
I don't know about the AppleTV3 but the AppleTV2 sucked with Netflix, always buffering and the video is pretty poor, I switch over to XBox or PS3 and it streams perfect and the video looks HD.

whooleytoo
Jun 9, 2012, 05:35 PM
Congrats, I think you just made the other guy's point. But you're still wrong.

Either way, there is something wrong w/ my ATV3...or with all ATV3s. It's not like Apple to advertise a product that streams Netflix in 1080p when it actually can't. I'd like to figure out what's wrong instead of argue with you, so please exit this conversation unless you have something constructive to add.

I don't have an ATV3, but I've had lots of Netflix problems with my ATV2. It went from initially fine, to several weeks of stalling/buffering with serious image degradation, then back to perfect. That's extremely unlikely to be a hardware issue; far more likely an infrastructural issue. I signed up for Netflix almost straight away when it launched here, and a couple of weeks later experienced problems. It may be they didn't anticipate the capacity they'd require?

Obviously the ATV3 features different hardware and uses a different stream, but the same could be true with the ATV3 problems. (Sorry for not reading back through the whole thread, but..) do you have problems with other HD streaming videos, or just Netflix? Have you tried playing a 1080p video from Home Sharing for comparison?

Geckotek
Jun 9, 2012, 05:47 PM
I don't have an ATV3, but I've had lots of Netflix problems with my ATV2. It went from initially fine, to several weeks of stalling/buffering with serious image degradation, then back to perfect. That's extremely unlikely to be a hardware issue; far more likely an infrastructural issue. I signed up for Netflix almost straight away when it launched here, and a couple of weeks later experienced problems. It may be they didn't anticipate the capacity they'd require?

Obviously the ATV3 features different hardware and uses a different stream, but the same could be true with the ATV3 problems. (Sorry for not reading back through the whole thread, but..) do you have problems with other HD streaming videos, or just Netflix? Have you tried playing a 1080p video from Home Sharing for comparison?

I haven't since I don't have many movies on my PC, but I'll give it a try.

That said, I don't think it's a processor issue or we'd have problems all the time. I tend to think it's either a NIC issue or the ATV just doesn't buffer enough to handle the occasional network congestion. I have a an older BluRay player and even it seems to do better.

I have been watching more on the ATV3 today. It's ok, but every few minutes the picture goes soft and text gets blocky. I don't have this issue with other devices.

whooleytoo
Jun 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
I haven't since I don't have many movies on my PC, but I'll give it a try.

That said, I don't think it's a processor issue or we'd have problems all the time. I tend to think it's either a NIC issue or the ATV just doesn't buffer enough to handle the occasional network congestion. I have a an older BluRay player and even it seems to do better.

I have been watching more on the ATV3 today. It's ok, but every few minutes the picture goes soft and text gets blocky. I don't have this issue with other devices.

Yeah, that sounds similar to what I was seeing with my ATV2.

I'd select the video, would wait 10-20 seconds for it to start playing, then it would start in perfect HD. About 15-20 seconds in, it would pause and buffer a bit, then become lower-resolution. Once or twice during the video, it would pause again, and/or drop to even lower quality.

Whereas if the video started playing within 5 seconds, then I knew straight away it'd play through to completion without any issues.

It would be good to try with non-Netflix HD streaming for comparison. In my case, the problem disappeared without me doing anything, so it's unlikely to be a network hardware problem, but it's entirely possible there is more than one problem here; hence the confusion.

ivnj
Jun 12, 2012, 02:06 AM
I cancelled netflix because of the price hike. But before I did, streaming even on my wii or PC was always choppy. Even MAC was choppy. I think it has to be the internet connection. Got att uverse. Even before uverse comcast and verizon dsl no good. Has to be internet. Or just our house. But def got to be internet not netflix's fault.

Rumple
Jun 12, 2012, 03:34 AM
Netflix looks HORRIBLE on my atv3, and my Mac. I don't know what Sony does but they make it look awesome. I don't have super fast internet so I understand some quality issues but what Sony does is miraculous with what there given. Same goes for Hulu+ looks amazing. Hulu+ looked good on my iPad though. Netflix wasn't bad on that either but that has a lot to the size of the screen and watching it from a distance, and still not the caliber of Sony.

nooaah
Jun 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
Netflix looks fantastic on my Roku - definitely more outdated hardware. I was going to get an ATV3 for my living room tv but this thread really makes me hesitant.

CrzyP
Jul 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know why the PQ decreases significantly at the end of a stream? This bothers me since I like to read credits sometimes.

spice weasel
Jul 17, 2012, 09:04 PM

It is when the rest of us get great quality Netflix streaming on our ATVs.

striker33
Jul 18, 2012, 05:22 AM
It is when the rest of us get great quality Netflix streaming on our ATVs.

Nice attempt at trolling...

...well, not really. But its the effort that counts, right?

Anyway, completely forgot this thread was still going. So a quick update.

Apple are being completely useless as expected. All I get now is the same generic email saying their engineering department are still working on a fix. So I took my ATV3 back for a full refund, and bought the WDTV Live again as it was on offer on Amazon.

Long story short, this cheap little box, which barely scrapes 2/4 bars in signal strength over wifi thanks to the cheap a** chip inside it (further diminishing the pathetic wifi vs wired arguments), streams 1080p Netflix flawlessly. It also begins streaming in HD quality, without having to progress from SD first, which is an improvement over the PS3. I also get the added benefit of not having to run a computer and iTunes to stream from my NAS, although this wasn't much of an issue as I was planning on using a MBP for that anyway.

Bottom line: The ATV3 has some major software issues with Netflix streaming. Apple most likely won't ever fix it. And it affects only a minority of users.

steve-p
Jul 18, 2012, 05:26 AM
Does anyone know why the PQ decreases significantly at the end of a stream? This bothers me since I like to read credits sometimes.

Can't say I've ever noticed that? I look at the credits sometimes if looking for the name of a piece of music.

beeh
Aug 5, 2012, 10:37 AM
I have a wired WD TV Live, wireless Wii, wireless Roku, wired Roku and wireless Apple TV 3. I stream netflix through all of them, the AppleTV 3 is the only device that ever has issues ( and it has them every time ). I can stream movies from my PC to the AppleTV 3 flawlessly ( which is why I bought it ). Glad the Wii is connected to the same TV as the AppleTV. :)

Tell me the problem isn't the AppleTV! ;) It could be a network setting the ATV requires that the others don't?

I really didn't expect this from Apple, figured the AppleTV could replace the Wii, or I could replace the other boxes with Apple TVs, but not yet. :)

-RK

neilmacd
Aug 5, 2012, 11:12 AM
I have occasionally noticed Netflix running poorly, but I think (in my case) most of the time it is an issue with the service rather than my ISP/router/device.

Question though, how often do Apple/Netflix update the app? I much prefer the way my PS3 handles tv shows, allowing you to either leave it running and it continues to the next episode etc. Whereas on the ATV you have to go back, back, click to the next episode, then click, click before it starts to play.

Not very Apple like if you ask me?

ATC
Aug 5, 2012, 03:29 PM
Nice attempt at trolling...

...well, not really. But its the effort that counts, right?

Anyway, completely forgot this thread was still going. So a quick update.

Apple are being completely useless as expected. All I get now is the same generic email saying their engineering department are still working on a fix. So I took my ATV3 back for a full refund, and bought the WDTV Live again as it was on offer on Amazon.

Long story short, this cheap little box, which barely scrapes 2/4 bars in signal strength over wifi thanks to the cheap a** chip inside it (further diminishing the pathetic wifi vs wired arguments), streams 1080p Netflix flawlessly. It also begins streaming in HD quality, without having to progress from SD first, which is an improvement over the PS3. I also get the added benefit of not having to run a computer and iTunes to stream from my NAS, although this wasn't much of an issue as I was planning on using a MBP for that anyway.

Bottom line: The ATV3 has some major software issues with Netflix streaming. Apple most likely won't ever fix it. And it affects only a minority of users.

Good info about the WDTV Live. My local Costco sells them (cheap) and in all honesty I never gave them much thought but it sounds like, at least for Netflix, it's a much better device than ATV3.

beeh
Aug 5, 2012, 11:28 PM
Good info about the WDTV Live. My local Costco sells them (cheap) and in all honesty I never gave them much thought but it sounds like, at least for Netflix, it's a much better device than ATV3.

Roku and Wii have a much better UI for Netflix than the WDTV Live ( unless there's an update I haven't installed ), but the Live does better streaming from Hulu and CBS ( via PlayOn ). Roku has a built in CBS channel, that seems to use the same algorithm the ATV uses to stream Netflix. :( Maybe others have better luck with CBS and Hulu on Roku, but not for us.

ATC
Aug 5, 2012, 11:34 PM
Roku and Wii have a much better UI for Netflix than the WDTV Live ( unless there's an update I haven't installed ), but the Live does better streaming from Hulu and CBS ( via PlayOn ). Roku has a built in CBS channel, that seems to use the same algorithm the ATV uses to stream Netflix. :( Maybe others have better luck with CBS and Hulu on Roku, but not for us.

I have a Wii but just to confirm, I was under the impression that the Wii does not do HD streaming, only SD, correct?

spacepower7
Aug 6, 2012, 12:35 AM
I'm starting to think that a lot of this has to do with routers. My AppleTV 2 works fine at my house with an airport extreme. When I installed my AppleTV 2 at a friend's house (lending it to him for a few weeks) it works horribly with his dual channel netgear router. YouTube takes 7 minutes to load 50% of a 3 minute video, and still won't start until it is 75% loaded.

I tested his Internet connection and it was above 15 Mbps on 5ghz to his 2012 MBP. AirPlay mirroring on 10.8 just shows a pixelated screen that updates ever 5 minutes, totally unusable. Sending audio or video via iTunes works fine though, though the video loaded slow, but not nearly as bad as YouTube on the AppleTV.
AirPlay audio from an iPad work fine too.

It seems that there might be some incompatibilities between wireless chips causing the problems.

I reset all the hardware many times with no solution.

Any ideas?

trip1ex
Aug 7, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm starting to think that a lot of this has to do with routers. My AppleTV 2 works fine at my house with an airport extreme. When I installed my AppleTV 2 at a friend's house (lending it to him for a few weeks) it works horribly with his dual channel netgear router. YouTube takes 7 minutes to load 50% of a 3 minute video, and still won't start until it is 75% loaded.

I tested his Internet connection and it was above 15 Mbps on 5ghz to his 2012 MBP. AirPlay mirroring on 10.8 just shows a pixelated screen that updates ever 5 minutes, totally unusable. Sending audio or video via iTunes works fine though, though the video loaded slow, but not nearly as bad as YouTube on the AppleTV.
AirPlay audio from an iPad work fine too.

It seems that there might be some incompatibilities between wireless chips causing the problems.

I reset all the hardware many times with no solution.

Any ideas?

GEt a different router or dump the ATV. :)

I do think the ATV doesn't play nice with a small number of router or router setups. Or it could be prone to interference more than other devices or be placed in a location where its signal is interfered with more than another device that seemingly works well. There are a few variables here.

But I do remember that the AEBS had (or has) problems with some devices. So I could see the ATV having problems with some devices.

Hawkeye16
Aug 7, 2012, 11:01 AM
I have the same issue, and not all of the time, but just at random intervals. Both ATV and PS3 using the same 5G connection. I am thinking it may have something to do with the buffer size, but that is a wild guess based on no other information and enough laziness to not look into it any further... I mean, the PS3 works too and I don't have to get off the couch for that.