Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neo179neo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Has anyone used plex on there ipad/iphone to airplay 1080p content onto their apple tv 3 yet?

I use airplay alot currently on my apple tv 2 (as i stupidly updated my jailbroke software :( )

I just wanted to make sure quality is good when streaming as the new jailbreak seems like its a way off and it'll decide wether i upgrade my apple tv...

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am guessing that by "plex on the Apple TV 3" you mean Airplay Plex App from an IOS device to the ATV3.

and if that is the case, yes I tried it, works ok, Quality is not the quite the same, and I get some jitters pretty often, all the 720p files play ok, are those large 1080p that have some issues.

neo179neo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Yes thats what i mean...

I use it loads at present with 1080p MKV's... obviously apple tv 2 can only output at 720p... and all my files play smoothly...

So you youve tried 1080p content and streams over the air flaky? 720p is fine though?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes thats what i mean...

I use it loads at present with 1080p MKV's... obviously apple tv 2 can only output at 720p... and all my files play smoothly...

So you youve tried 1080p content and streams over the air flaky? 720p is fine though?

Correct, 1080P files = no that good (still watchable, but not a smooth playback). 720 = good

for the records, iOS device I tried are iPad (1), and iPhone4 (maybe on A5, A5x devices the playback is better, can't comment on those, since i don't have any of those yet)

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Can anyone with Mountain Lion speak to how well the desktop Plex Client works via Airplay Mirroring to an ATV3? Is the video high quality, and does the UI work well?

Kiss Kris

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Can anyone with Mountain Lion speak to how well the desktop Plex Client works via Airplay Mirroring to an ATV3? Is the video high quality, and does the UI work well?

I have a 17" MBP 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067Hhz RAM OSX 10.8 and the video is pretty choppy. I've tried playing 720p and 1080p mkv's via Plex on Airplay mirroring and it plays smooth for a couple minutes but eventually chops up..:mad::mad:

I wish there was a way to Airplay Plex w/ out using the graphic card intensive mirroring function.:(

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I have a 17" MBP 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067Hhz RAM OSX 10.8 and the video is pretty choppy. I've tried playing 720p and 1080p mkv's via Plex on Airplay mirroring and it plays smooth for a couple minutes but eventually chops up..:mad::mad:

I wish there was a way to Airplay Plex w/ out using the graphic card intensive mirroring function.:(

Are you doing this over wifi or ethernet? It seems that the biggest bottleneck is bandwidth.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
WiFi. I would try connecting an ethernet cable but the reason I bought an Apple TV in the first place was to go wireless :confused:

What are your connection speeds like?

From Apple's ATV Page.
A sustained 8-Mbit/s or faster Internet connection is recommended for viewing 1080p high-definition movies and TV shows, 6-Mbit/s or faster for viewing 720p content, and 2.5-Mbit/s or faster for standard-definition content. Internet connection speeds may vary depending on your ISP and other factors.

What is it about a wired connection that you don't like? If you hide the wires properly there shouldn't be an issue.

I use a powerline adapter to avoid running cables in my walls.

Last edited:

Quezimotto

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
I have everything hard wired other than my iPad3 and it's still losing quality 780/1080p. Serving from an i7 Mac Mini server to ATV3. 25Mb/s connection.

Disappointing.

Last edited:

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
I airplay plex from my 4s and from my 2012 air and 2012 MBPr with out any issues to my ATV3. You will run into an issues if your try to use a 4 or an apple tv 2nd gen the airplay will be choppy.

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
I have a 2006 iMac running iTunes wired (gigabit) to my router which then serves two ATV3's wirelessly and two MacBooks wirelessly and all work well. Can happily serve HD to these two ATV's even though where one is my iPad 2 struggles to work wirelessly.

Quezimotto

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
I have a 2006 iMac running iTunes wired (gigabit) to my router which then serves two ATV3's wirelessly and two MacBooks wirelessly and all work well. Can happily serve HD to these two ATV's even though where one is my iPad 2 struggles to work wirelessly.

So you do not have any trouble with AirPlay Plex to your ATV3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.