Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BDRhodes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
PDX // OR
My wife and I share a Mac and we have separate Apple ID's. I'd love to be able to create a user account for her and one for me, but have an overlap of which iTunes media and apps we've bought.

More important is notifications and reminders and all that. If users aren't linked to an AppleID/iCloud then do they all get the same reminders as the ones that do?

What I'd like is everything but media to be parsed out according to which iCloud/Apple ID is used for each user. That way our notifications, reminders, etc, all stay separate. But I'd like media to all be shared.

Can anyone tip me off on how Apple is handling all this convolutedness in ML?

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Make A Second User Account, then Sign into iTunes and The App Store with the corresponding Apple ID/iCloud ID's for each account. Simple. Though it is impossible with just a single user account. If your Wife goes on and its on your account, you can avoid her download or accessing your Apple ID/iCloud ID by having her Switch accounts easily with the fast user switching, this you can enable in System Preferences > Accounts

As for keeping the media between, you would have to authorize that user account to play/use your apple ID's media and then you can transfer or redownload all the media, and visa vera with the other account.

Hope I Helped!

Last edited:

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
My wife's username uses my acct for app store/itunes but her account for email, messages, iCloud, etc. (Have her icloud account and mine on hers) Although that prolly doesn't answer your questions

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Just use your separate iCloud accounts for Mail, etc. and the same Apple ID for both of you in iTunes Store. Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.