PDA

View Full Version : Batch encoding movies.

stefmesman
Mar 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Hello dear MacRumors members!

i have a question, was searching the forum for a while, but didn't find a definitive answer, so heres my struggle.

I have an hard drive with various kinds of movies (around 1,5Tb) most of it is ripped dvd's/blurays or self created content.

Im on the verge of buying an Apple TV3, but i know that the apple tv won't play 90% of all my files, most is Proress422, AVCHD or MKV. Is there a way(program?) to batch convert my entire movie HDD to an apple tv friendly format?

thanks!

Wiggum
Mar 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
I use Handbrake. Lots of others do as well.

charlieegan3
Mar 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
if you run windows anywhere xilisoft is a good bet. very fast

Cinematographer
Mar 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
Handbrake is a brilliant program indeed.

stefmesman
Mar 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
for information, I'm on a mac. wouldn't handbrake take ages considering i have 1.4TB of data? 80% of my files is probably already H264. so it only would need a m4v mp4 or mov wrapper.

simsaladimbamba
Mar 27, 2012, 04:01 PM
for information, I'm on a mac. wouldn't handbrake take ages considering i have 1.4TB of data?

Yes, and so would others, or do you want to lose quality and have a faster encoding process?

80% of my files is probably already H264. so it only would need a m4v mp4 or mov wrapper.
For .mts files, you could try the first few steps outlined here:
Transcoding .MTS files (AVCHD footage) to an editable format (.MOV)

For .mkv files there will probably another solution, maybe the search function can help, unless someone chimes in.

stikle
Mar 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
Use Handbrake (http://www.handbrake.fr) along with the Handbrake Batch Encoder (http://videoscripts.wordpress.com/downloads/) front end GUI to easily convert whole directories of media at once.

It's worked for me anyway.

hafr
Mar 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
for information, I'm on a mac. wouldn't handbrake take ages considering i have 1.4TB of data? 80% of my files is probably already H264. so it only would need a m4v mp4 or mov wrapper.

Have you tried iFlicks or iVI? Might be exactly what you're looking for. iFlicks offer a two week trial as well...

Mike Valmike
Mar 27, 2012, 04:49 PM

If it's already in 264, use Subler to repackage the video, audio, and chapter tracks into an .mp4 file. No encoding necessary, very fast. But I don't know that Subler has any batch option. I use Subler all the time to rescue H.264 streams from other containers for ATV viewing and it works great.

For any files you actually have to re-encode... and this might not apply, based on what you are describing, but in case it does... use Handbrake with its queueing function.