Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McLeanMobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
For those who have been searching for the perfect Weather app for your iPad we think we have created something truly great and wanted the Macrumor's folks to be amoung the first to learn about it.

As implied by the name, Weather 2x has been specifically developed to take full advantage of the new iPad's retina display, and enables an entirely new and innovative way to view weather conditions for the locations that matter to you most.

We worked tremendously hard at tailoring the UI for the iPad and the touch experience in hope that it is immediately apparent to those that use it.

Below are a few screenshots and a brief demo video while we patiently await Apple's blessing.

We look forward to receiving your feedback when Weather 2x launches!

w2xscreen01.png

w2xscreen02.png

w2xscreen03.png

w2xscreen04.png

w2xscreen05.png

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
The demo definitely looks good, so I will be checking it out. That said, all great weather apps need to have the following features:

1) Accurate data about as many locations as possible -- what I see on my iPad should be the same as what I see looking out of the window. If my location is not listed, I would like to either have it added to the database or, if there is no available weather feed for it, suggest the nearest one (preferably by dropping a pin or telling me that location).

2) Diverse animations for day and night weather

3) Optional import of locations from built-in app

4) Caching of weather details for off-line checking

5) Flexibility of switching between temperature units on a per location basis, rather than globally -- useful for when I'm talking to a friend about weather in the States whereas I use metric system.

How many of those does your app cater for? :)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Looks good, although it reminds me a bit of Magical Weather. Few questions (apologizes if the video answers these questions, I viewed it without audio):
  • How many cities can I add?
  • How many days of extended forecast?
  • Can I view today's high and low without opening 5 day forecast?
  • What are the weather data sources?
  • Does it work in portrait mode?
  • Feels like temperature?
  • How much?

McLeanMobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Thank you very much for the preliminary feedback! We look forward to releasing Weather 2x and are committed to making continual improvements upon collecting user feedback.

Weather 2x will support animations, caching of weather details for off-line checking, unlimited cities, support for both portrait and landscape and much more.

More details are available at http://weather2x.com, and as mentioned we look forward to your feedback as we plan our ongoing updates.

McLeanMobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Weather 2x has Arrived!

Weather 2x has been approved and is now in the app store! We hope that you enjoy the app. We truly believe it is a beautiful site on the new retina screen.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
The app looks good and seems to function well on paper. However, some straight up feedback:

1) No mention of the new iPad -- unless it is mentioned, I would not assume that it is optimised for it and has Retina graphics.

2) How is the location determined -- GPS? Select/search from/through a list?

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I just bought it on the ipad 3.
It looks really nice, minimalist but shows the info you need.

Finds location via gps.

McLeanMobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for the support all! We've been hard at work on the first update and are excited to announce we are making Weather 2x universal. Coming as a free update, you will be able to install Weather 2x on both your iPad and iPhone. Here are some screenshots from the forthcoming iPhone version.

w2xscreen01_iPhone.png
w2xscreen02_iPhone.png

w2xscreen03_iPhone.png
w2xscreen04_iPhone.png

w2xscreen05_iPhone.png

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Looks interesting. One thing I'd suggest is the Precipitation % in the forecast - something I use a lot!

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
For those who have been searching for the perfect Weather app for your iPad we think we have created something truly great and wanted the Macrumor's folks to be amoung the first to learn about it.

As implied by the name, Weather 2x has been specifically developed to take full advantage of the new iPad's retina display, and enables an entirely new and innovative way to view weather conditions for the locations that matter to you most.

We worked tremendously hard at tailoring the UI for the iPad and the touch experience in hope that it is immediately apparent to those that use it.

Below are a few screenshots and a brief demo video while we patiently await Apple's blessing.

We look forward to receiving your feedback when Weather 2x launches!

Does that mean you won't be giving out any free promo codes? :D

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
This might be too much but if this app packed an alarm clock too it'd be an absolute winner...

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Tried to buy it right now but said couldn't...

----------

Bought it love it... Alarm clock would be mint ;)

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Issue refreshing.. Could do with a refresh button. Over 3G it is not refreshing.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I bought it & while it is nice, it does not appear to be very accurate. I'm sitting here looking out the window at the overcast & rain over the entire city & the app says it is Sunny.

McLeanMobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hey Julie,
If you email us your location details we would be happy to check in to it for you, support [at] mcleanmobile.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.