PDA

View Full Version : Using the iPad as an art and animation portfolio - Advice?

MissKokamon
Mar 28, 2012, 01:53 AM
Hello, all!
I'm new to the forum, and even newer to the world of iPads, so forgive my... uh... newness. My iPad is on its way, so I don't have it in hand, but I have big plans in store.
The biggest one is to use it as an art portfolio. I work in the Flash Games business, so I have a lot of game assets I'd like to show off. This isn't too hard... save them as jpegs! Done! That can be applied to pretty much all my digital artwork, so I'm not worried about that.
What I'm stuck on is how to showcase my animations.
They aren't exactly .mov material because they are a simple action, often less than one second. I can loop them for ten seconds or so, but then potential employers would have to go through the hassle of closing the file and opening the next. I could have all my animations in one .mov file, but that would eliminate the point--I want to present my work in a portfolio style, not as a demo reel.
.swf files won't work because they're flash, right? And I hear (though I don't know if this is the case) that animated GIFs don't work in the iPad's image viewer. (Is this still the case for the new iPad? Was it EVER the case?)
I did consider putting them on a website, but if the connection is poor or non-existent, animated gifs on websites can run slowly. I'd prefer a way to show my animations as easily as possible... would any of you know of a method? An app? A setting?
Thanks for your suggestions, folks. I really appreciate it!

laurenr
Mar 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
I know nothing about creating animated Gifs, but I just read this article a few days ago, and happened to save it for a friend; it might be what you're looking for. It concerns the relevant apps for the IOS. Quote:

"Using the app (MoPic) is pretty simple. At the start up, you have to choose how you want to create the GIF. There is the option to choose a video or set of photos from the library, while you can also shoot videos from within the app. For importing videos, you get the option to select the quality of each import via choice from among Smooth, Normal and Rough.....

If you are a fan of GIF animations, then iOS is a pretty good platform to be on, owing to the number of GIF creating apps available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. A few months back we covered GifBoom, which allows its users to create GIFs by stitching together as many photos as they want. The output provided by the newly released MoPic is pretty similar, but it comes with the ability to use a video for creating animations, rather than just photos........"
The author also links to other Apps that might interest you:

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/mopic-for-iphone-ipad-create-gif-animations-from-videos-photos/

whtrbt7
Mar 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
1 word: Keynote. This will enable you to organize more smoothly.