PDA

View Full Version : Atv3 missing remote functions

smu1999
Mar 28, 2012, 08:07 AM
Just picked up the new atv after having multiple 1st gens for years.
Has the new software removed the ability to assign single remote buttons for skip-ahead/back and chapter changes?
I realize you can hold down the directional buttons to accomplish the skip forward and back, but preferred the discrete command.

Thanks for the input.

chenks
Mar 28, 2012, 09:13 AM
i assume you are talking about using a third party remote control?
if yes, then this is still possible, i can use the specific chapter next/back buttons on my remote.

smu1999
Mar 28, 2012, 10:38 AM
Which 3rd party remote are you using?
The prior atv software's remote-learning functionality allowed assigning arbitrary remote commands to these functions, which is how I had it working.
Is that still in there and I've just missed it?

Thanks.

chenks
Mar 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
Logitech Harmony One.
Logitech software has all the AppleTV commands pre-programmed. No "learning" required.

smp99
Mar 28, 2012, 12:52 PM
I think I know what you want

FFwd and Rew are right and left. We all know that.

If you press the Down button first - this puts the remote into skip mode. Now left and right are SkipBack (PrevChapter) and SkipFwd (Next Chapter)

Maybe I misunderstood the question.

I use a Harmony and have assigned different buttons for each of the 4 command listed above

smu1999
Mar 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
I'll give some more details to try and be a little clearer.
Currently, I'm using URC MX850's though out the house to control everything.
The remote's IR code base includes the default functionality of the apple remote (still digging through to see if the expanded functions are in there).

The new atv software allows you to "learn" 3rd party remote commands just like the previous versions, but appears to omit the following "discrete" assignments:

-play (no toggle)
-pause (no toggle)
-chapter forward
-chapter back
-skip ahead (~30 sec)
-skip back (~10 sec)

Hopefully my IR db has working versions of these commands, or their assignment on the atv is hidden somewhere.

I'd be a little surprised if no one else had run into this already.

Thanks

chenks
Mar 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
-play (no toggle)
-pause (no toggle)
-chapter forward
-chapter back
-skip ahead (~30 sec)
-skip back (~10 sec)

well i dunno the specifics of what you are doing, but i have all those functions working as they always have on my logitech remote (a separate button for each command).

i didn't have to use any learn function though, as the logitech config software has it all included as an "appletv" preset.