Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhenri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hello all,

I have the mac mini server, it has 4 USB ports. I do some home recording and use a usb audio interface, connected all the time. The issue I've been having is.....

when I try and attach a usb webcam, while the sound card is plugged in, the camera struggles with what appears to be a power issue. If I then unplug the sound card the camera works fine. This isn't a problem with allocating audio in/outs.

I'm guessing here, but it seems that the mini can't handle all this USB action.

Anyone, had a similar experience>>??

cheers

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"when I try and attach a usb webcam, while the sound card is plugged in, the camera struggles with what appears to be a power issue. If I then unplug the sound card the camera works fine. This isn't a problem with allocating audio in/outs."

The problem is that by attaching both devices, you are exceeding the maximum "bus power" that the Mini is capable of supplying. Most Macs do not provide as much USB bus power as do PC's, for reasons that seem to be Apple's own.

Possible solutions:
- Does the USB audio interface have a "power block" that you can use (instead of powering it via USB power)? If so, use that instead.
- Do you have a "powered" USB hub around? If so, try attaching that first to one of the USB ports, and then plugging one (or both?) of the devices into it, instead.

jackhenri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
many thanks fishrrman>>

that confirms what I thought.. I'll dig out a powered usb hub!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.