PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comparison, iOS 5.1 vs latest version of ICE CREAM SANDWICH 4.05

PacificBeach
Mar 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
http://youtu.be/NMiY1kSTHZw?hd=1
Interesting comparison, iOS 5.1 vs latest version of ICE CREAM SANDWICH 4.05

What are you guys thoughts?

davidra
Mar 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
My thoughts are that ICS is much better than what came before (primarily because of what they stole from WebOS), but I have no idea about the stability, which is for sure a problem on everything before ICS. If it is as stable as iOS, this is a significant improvement for Android....assuming the hardware is better than it used to be as well.

Small White Car
Mar 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
Meh.

He says stuff like "you have to close apps like this" while showing the iPhone's force-quit method. I mean, if he's just going to lie about iOS then, sure, it's easy to make Android look better. Is he just ignorant, or trying to mislead people? I don't know, but I find it hard to believe what he says about Android when I know what he says about iOS isn't totally accurate.

He also has that tech-reviewer problem where he focuses in on his own needs to the exclusion of all others. For example, he's confused why the iPhone's screen isn't 16x9. Never mind the fact that 9x16 is a pretty terrible format for books, web sites, and documents. Nah...we won't even mention that. We'll just pretend that video is the ONLY thing people might want to use a smartphone for.

Also, I didn't watch the whole thing, but does he ever address the fact that his Android phone clearly still has that animation lag for which Android is so famous? That's a deal-breaker for me, and I've yet to see an Android reviewer even address it. He can't make me not notice it by pretending it doesn't exist.

RedCroissant
Mar 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
I think ICS is looking really good and I like the way it looks and operates but I wonder about a few of things mentioned in the video comparison. Sure, there are customizable screens, but what does that cost in terms of battery life? The iPhone has one clock that is always visible thanks to the menu bar so the need to have multiple clocks is unnecessary. The widget used to take the presenter directly to his youtube page was nice with and had a nice visual to go along with it, but you can navigate to a page once and then add that webpage to your home screen without having to use another application to do it.

So even though Android looks good and operates really well(especially so with the example of finding directions from a webpage), I would still use iOS for what it offers and the fact that I can have the same operating system(or at least compatible versions of it) on different devices.

Another thought... There were a couple of people responding to that Youtube video stating that they wanted 4G to come to the iPhone. I have the 4S and I have 4G in Tempe, Arizona right now.

mbell1975
Mar 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
Thats not a comparison, all he does is show things he can do better on an Android and he's an idiot. If it were a far comparison, he would list things you can easily do on an iPhone you can't on an Android. Syncing music to your iTunes is a good place to start...

PacificBeach
Mar 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
I think ICS is looking really good and I like the way it looks and operates but I wonder about a few of things mentioned in the video comparison. Sure, there are customizable screens, but what does that cost in terms of battery life? The iPhone has one clock that is always visible thanks to the menu bar so the need to have multiple clocks is unnecessary. The widget used to take the presenter directly to his youtube page was nice with and had a nice visual to go along with it, but you can navigate to a page once and then add that webpage to your home screen without having to use another application to do it.

So even though Android looks good and operates really well(especially so with the example of finding directions from a webpage), I would still use iOS for what it offers and the fact that I can have the same operating system(or at least compatible versions of it) on different devices.

Another thought... There were a couple of people responding to that Youtube video stating that they wanted 4G to come to the iPhone. I have the 4S and I have 4G in Tempe, Arizona right now. People want an LTE 4G iphone. iPhone 4S is HSPA+ max of 14.4 Mbps = att's fraud 4G symbol......................

BaldiMac
Mar 28, 2012, 03:39 PM
People want an LTE 4G iphone. iPhone 4S is HSPA+ max of 14.4 Mbps = att's fraud 4G symbol......................

Fraud? The ITU changed its arbitrary definition of 4G to include HSPA+. Where's the fraud? I'm pretty sure that even the LTE networks that we are seeing rolled out in the US now didn't even qualify as 4G by the original definition.

Appropriately, Apple does differentiate between 4G and LTE in iOS.

Dwalls90
Mar 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm thrilled at how Android is progressing. I wish it were BETTER. It will light a fire under Apple's butt to keep rapidly improving and innovating. Competition is GOOD.

PNutts
Mar 28, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'm sure the 1% or 2% of Android users on ICS are thrilled with it.

mbell1975
Mar 28, 2012, 05:32 PM

Seriously. ICS has been out for 4 months now and how many Android phones besides the one it launched with it (galaxy nexus) actually have it? Like 2 and it hasnt even hit all of those users yet, maybe half. Jellybean will be out well before most users ever see ICS. Useless.

rjohnstone
Mar 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
Seriously. ICS has been out for 4 months now and how many Android phones besides the one it launched with it (galaxy nexus) actually have it? Like 2 and it hasnt even hit all of those users yet, maybe half. Jellybean will be out well before most users ever see ICS. Useless.
More than 2, but less than 10. ;)
Most of the older phones can't run it anyway.

Spikestrip
Mar 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Fraud? The ITU changed its arbitrary definition of 4G to include HSPA+. Where's the fraud? I'm pretty sure that even the LTE networks that we are seeing rolled out in the US now didn't even qualify as 4G by the original definition.

Appropriately, Apple does differentiate between 4G and LTE in iOS.

Guys, there is no standard for 4G yet. LTE isn't even 4G. Also, good luck getting 14 megabits on HSPA+. More like 1-1.5. It's the same network that the iPhone connected to before iOS 5.1. It was 3G last month, and it still is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#Technical_definition

dainja
Mar 28, 2012, 06:14 PM
Most of his comments are ridiculous.

His Android phone is cluttered and he navigates through dozens of screens before getting anywhere. All the icons are hard to read. I'm sorry, but the Apple GUI is far better than that phone's.

Android is great for customization but it does most things counter-intuitively.

Some of his gripes are completely wrong anyways. iOS definitely takes you to maps if you click an address - the only reason it doesn't on his phone is that he's using a third party browser (despite how good Safari is).

iHateMacs
Mar 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
He sounds JUST like another video on youtube where the speaker was trying to show why "Intelligent Design" was the correct way of thinking.

As in the ID video this person is showing what HE believes to be Android's advantages and ignoring anything else.

So Android has more ways to customise it. That is not a failing on the part of iOS but a decision by Apple to make the iOS experience simpler and smoother.

I don't like the screen on the phone he had. The mottled effect wasn't pleasant at all.

tjl3
Mar 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
Lol, if I didn't know better I would think this video/ this guy was a troll...

I'd hate to see what he thinks of his iPad in a couple weeks.

I won't bash Android, I think it has some advantages over iOS. But my gripes w/ Android OS were the exact things he praised on my Android work phone (it is only running Gingerbread tho so I know ICS would probably yield a better experience).

I didn't like the presentation on the most basic apps, and I didn't like the browser especially (my friend tells me the Chrome mobile browser is something to smile about tho). I think apps are wildly inconsistent, menu and settings are a headache to navigate b/c they are never constructed the same app to app.

Widgets were a nice new thing at first... then I realized they don't really tell much information and I don't need to have half of my widgets displaying all day. Really tho, who needs 4 clocks?

And also, who wouldn't just Google in n out w/ location services on and just click map... would be like 5 steps faster than launching the browser, going to the site, navigating, typing address, clicking maps, etc. Since this guy is pretty anal about making 1 extra click.

Listening to this guy rant, he just comes off as dumb, my $.02

nutmac
Mar 28, 2012, 06:58 PM
Summary of his arguments:
1. ICS has widgets that you can place on the home screen.
2. ICS has more data detectors (e.g., address, web URL) than iOS.
3. ICS lets you pick browser, maps, etc.
4. ICS is better because the screen is bigger and 16x9

His failings;
1. He points out how difficult it is to find and organize apps on iOS. Instead of pointing out how ICS does this better, he skims through poorly organized and cluttered list of apps and widgets then points out how ICS has widgets.
2. Spending a lot of time on stupid boot up animation and arguing how that makes ICS moe attractive.

Don't get me wrong, I love competition and I think iOS needs to catch up on some aspect. And let's face it, iOS UI is showing age in some respect. But nothing that he demonstrates makes me want to even play with ICS.

Sdahe
Mar 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
I'm really considering jumping to Android... the only thing holding me to the iPhone is battery life.

cynics
Mar 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
I mean, if he's just going to lie about iOS then, sure, it's easy to make Android look better. Is he just ignorant, or trying to mislead people? I don't know, but I find it hard to believe what he says about Android when I know what he says about iOS isn't totally accurate.
Image (http://www.***************/avatar4.jpg)

What did he say that you think is misleading? I have both and can confirm everything he said.

I'm really considering jumping to Android... the only thing holding me to the iPhone is battery life.

My problem is I want stock vanilla ics in a device I like. The nexus is great at everything except being a phone. And everyone else adds their bloat to the phone.

Mortalias
Mar 28, 2012, 09:50 PM
The fact that Android must be distributed over a variety of manufacturer's devices is a huge weakness in my opinion.

So Ice Cream Sandwich, while impressive, is limited in usability for some Android users with older phones. This means it only reaches a minority of customers. Combine that with the rate Google releases new operating systems?

As they say close to home, fuhgeddaboutit.

Sdahe
Mar 28, 2012, 09:55 PM
If I'll change my iPhone 4S for an Android... which one would you recommend?... Galaxy Skyrocket or Galaxy Note?

irDigital0l
Mar 28, 2012, 10:16 PM
I like features from iOS and features of Android.

If next iPhone disappoints, I'll jump to Android (try it out). I had bad impressions of it before with my mytouch 4G.

I think I'm going to go with Samsung Galaxy III.

Thought the new iPhone (if it comes out at fall) will be the perfect time to upgrade my contract.

Really excited to see what iOS 6 offers, hopefully a new homescreen, turn by turn directions, improved multitasking, more notification center widgets, and tons of other stuff.

roxxette
Mar 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
I always wanted to try android phones and win7 but that means i will have to get rid of my iphone :( and i will hate not liking the other phones and not having the iphone on hand , here is pretty hard find a factory unlock one.

roxxette
Mar 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
I like features from iOS and features of Android.

If next iPhone disappoints, I'll jump to Android (try it out). I had bad impressions of it before with my mytouch 4G.

I think I'm going to go with Samsung Galaxy III.

Thought the new iPhone (if it comes out at fall) will be the perfect time to upgrade my contract.

Really excited to see what iOS 6 offers, hopefully a new homescreen, turn by turn directions, improved multitasking, more notification center widgets, and tons of other stuff.

With no Steve around these time its going to be pretty interesting to see how the os evolve , maybe they will loose it up a bit ? Open the notification center widgets to 3rd party apps could be agreat idea like a lot of apps can benefit from it also i will love a quick reply feature like in bitesms that you could access in the notification center !

Shanekarpi251
Mar 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
Most of the stuff the guy talked about were features that aren't necessary (widgets and customization). I just recently converted from Android to iPhone and yeah some things are different to do but I think that's good not everything is the same as on Android or else what would the point of iOS be? I don't believe he mentioned one good thing about iOS so the guy is obviously bias and I see no point in why he even made that video. Sounds like a guy who has a lot of time on his hands if you ask me..

Sunsean
Mar 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
+10 on waiting for ICS...just switched from SG2 to an iphone, and happy about it. Was on Android for 3 years. It worked, but as others have mentioned it just doesn't have that cohesive snappy feel that ios offers. Maybe ICS will change that to a degree...but ios is a refreshing change after 3 years of chaotic Android.

Rennir
Mar 28, 2012, 11:28 PM
People saying that his review is biased, I agree. But I also think it was the point. In the introduction, he was talking about how everyone always says iOS is better than Android's operating system. The purpose of the video, IMO, was to provide a rebuttal to people bagging on the Android OS rather than provide an unbiased review on both OS's. Just my 2 cents.

And I really like the fact that with widgets, one doesn't have to open up an app in order to get stuff done. Everything is there on the homescreen. It's just different design/functional philosophies between Apple and Google.

Sunsean
Mar 28, 2012, 11:38 PM
People saying that his review is biased, I agree. But I also think it was the point. In the introduction, he was talking about how everyone always says iOS is better than Android's operating system. The purpose of the video, IMO, was to provide a rebuttal to people bagging on the Android OS rather than provide an unbiased review on both OS's. Just my 2 cents.

And I really like the fact that with widgets, one doesn't have to open up an app in order to get stuff done. Everything is there on the homescreen. It's just different design/functional philosophies between Apple and Google.

I used to think that about widgets too. But after a while I realized that they were more annoying than helpful. The only widget I found myself actually checking regularly was weather, which apple now provides in the notification center. With other stuff like sports, news, fb updates, etc, I slowly learned that it was cleaner and more efficient to just access the apps for this info. Half the time the widgets would freeze and/or slow the phone down, and even when you did check the widget, it was usually just some cursory info, and you would still have to open the app to do/access anything meaningful.

Last thing on widgets, and this goes back to the preference of aesthetics factor, but widgets contribute to that chaotic, choppy Android UI in my opinion...I now prefer the clean homescreen of the iphone.

Rennir
Mar 29, 2012, 12:11 AM
I used to think that about widgets too. But after a while I realized that they were more annoying than helpful. The only widget I found myself actually checking regularly was weather, which apple now provides in the notification center. With other stuff like sports, news, fb updates, etc, I slowly learned that it was cleaner and more efficient to just access the apps for this info. Half the time the widgets would freeze and/or slow the phone down, and even when you did check the widget, it was usually just some cursory info, and you would still have to open the app to do/access anything meaningful.

Last thing on widgets, and this goes back to the preference of aesthetics factor, but widgets contribute to that chaotic, choppy Android UI in my opinion...I now prefer the clean homescreen of the iphone.

You make some really good points, and since I haven't actually used an Android phone on a daily basis before, I can't really respond to them. But hopefully those drawbacks are addressed in ICS.

As for the aesthetics, we'll have to agree to disagree. For me, the widgets make the screen seem more sophisticated and less boring than just rows of icons. There's nothing wrong with Apple's icon layout--it just seems a bit old and boring after so many years of using the same thing.

RolandNights
Mar 29, 2012, 12:51 AM

When I had my Epic 4G, I really liked the widgets at first. Over time, I developed the same feelings toward them, though. I actually used less and less widgets because, yeah, I found it the actual apps to be quicker. The only widgets I consistently used were battery indicators and ColorNote stickies.

The app I miss the most from Android? SwipePad (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.conduction.swipepad.android&hl=en). Similar to the notification center, you access SwipePad by swiping from one of the corners of the screen to reveal a grid of your favorite apps. In the same motion, drag your finger to the app you want to use, then release. It was super convenient because I basically memorized where I placed each app on the grid so I never had to look at my screen to navigate through all the homescreen/tiles. After I found SwipePad, I only had one homescreen with no widgets besides a custom clock.

Aside from that, that's the only actual app I miss from Android. There are some other features I miss as well (basically going into customization), but I'm much happier with iOS. ICS is cool, but I like its direction more than actually using it. I'm really curious to see what they think of next in terms of designs and features.

0m3ga
Mar 29, 2012, 01:07 AM
After playing with ICS via CyanogenMod 9 on my Touchpad for a little while now, I like it. There is no requirement to use widgets, but the option is there. If you just want a simple icon layout, fine. No problem. Do it that way.

The biggest issue for me is Google Play, aka app store. Def not as refined as Apple's. But you can def get a ton of free games and apps. Even the new Angry Birds Space was free.

I like little things in ICS, like haptic feedback, having Flash Player 11 installed, but only activate when I give it permission, easy access to multiple style keyboards and layouts, real multitasking, with a nice rowof buttons for back, home and task tray, and of course great notifications. Android has a lot of great features, some that Apple now uses, so it is not all doom and gloom.

But with a jailbroken iphone and ipad, I utilize the best features of WebOS, iOS and Android into my iDvices, which in my opinion, makes them hands down the best in the world. :D That is not to say I don't have an appreciation for my new ICS Touchpad. I'm loving my Touchpad all over again.

-----
via CM9 32gb TP

Calidude
Mar 29, 2012, 01:17 AM
This video was well done, but here's my perspective on why I will NEVER use Android.

1) It's basically a tracking device. I don't care how many custom ROMs you put on it. It's a tracking device. Nobody is really auditing the code, and nobody is forking it to work independently of Google. I'm not buying a Google tracking device.

2) It wasn't designed to be fast in the first place. It needs a complete rewrite to work like iOS, and Google hasn't done it and will never do it because better hardware is slowly blurring the flaws.

3) It's not truly open-source. This is what Tizen and Meego are for. I don't want to use anything from a company like Google, but rather, I want to use something that is more like the mobile equivalent of putting Linux on your PC. Worked on by users, for users. Not some advertising company.

4) It drains your battery like crazy, especially when you use free apps. This shouldn't even be an issue for a phone. It's a tiny mobile OS. It shouldn't be using this many resources. I guess that's what comes with using a phone that is actively monitoring what you put into it.

5) I shouldn't need to root my phone to run certain apps. I should be able to add packages the same way I do on Linux and get them updated by adding repos, much like from the Cydia store, which I also need to jailbreak to get to. An OS should be so free that it will run ANYTHING from any store or website or kid's github page the minute you install that OS.

Android does a lot of things right, as shown in the video. However, these things are outweighed by these 5 points.

I use an iPhone despite those 5 points because Apple is a better company than Google. I trust them more. They make me want to buy their phone, despite the fact that I need to jailbreak it, which once I do, allows me to everything I want.

Google is a cancer to the internet and to the mobile OS arena, and nobody should be using their crap.

Once something that follows the 5 points comes out, such as Tizen or any Linux-type true open source mobile OS, I will drop my iPhone for that phone, because it will do what I want the way I want, without Google's crap involved in it.

0m3ga
Mar 29, 2012, 01:21 AM
When I had my Epic 4G, I really liked the widgets at first. Over time, I developed the same feelings toward them, though. I actually used less and less widgets because, yeah, I found it the actual apps to be quicker. The only widgets I consistently used were battery indicators and ColorNote stickies.

The app I miss the most from Android? SwipePad (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.conduction.swipepad.android&hl=en). Similar to the notification center, you access SwipePad by swiping from one of the corners of the screen to reveal a grid of your favorite apps. In the same motion, drag your finger to the app you want to use, then release. It was super convenient because I basically memorized where I placed each app on the grid so I never had to look at my screen to navigate through all the homescreen/tiles. After I found SwipePad, I only had one homescreen with no widgets besides a custom clock.

Aside from that, that's the only actual app I miss from Android. There are some other features I miss as well (basically going into customization), but I'm much happier with iOS. ICS is cool, but I like its direction more than actually using it. I'm really curious to see what they think of next in terms of designs and features.
Thanks for the swipepad link. now using it. cheers.

tjl3
Mar 29, 2012, 04:29 AM

That's not correct, you need to open the widget to get stuff done, which is the same as launching an app. Widgets are informative, don't get me wrong, but it still launches the app when you want to interact with it.

Another way to think of Android and iOS is that you have options... want widgets? buy Android... want customization? buy Android... But I like my experience w/ iOS, it's my own preference. As the previous poster said, it feels snappier and more fluid to me.

Fusion79
Mar 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
I used a Verizon GN for about a month. ICS is the best version of Android to date, but still has issues. I still experienced lag, random reboots, and the bad battery life that has been a problem for LTE android phones. Also the GN radios are horrible but that is probibly more Sammys hardware.

Apps are also still very hit and miss on Android. When comparing apps that are both on iOS and Android, the iOS version always seems more polished and better looking. I also still experienced more app crashes on ICS than iOS. I actually really want to like android, but it is just still not there yet for me.

ChazUK
Mar 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
I love ICS and what Matias Duarte has bought to the platform but just emphasizing the positive aspects of the platform would make it seem better. There are many things that the iPhone and iOS do better.

What about the OEMs who insist on changing the behavior and look of the UI? The recent ICS update on the SGSII springs to mind with the removal of drag and drop folders on the homescreen as one prime example.

What about applications that have not been updated that still rely on a Menu button instead of using the Action Bar for ICS? That shows off some big inconsistency IMO.

I'm as big an Android fan and user as you can get but not everything is hunky dory in Android land. Both have their plusses and minuses. Just take your pick on what works best for you.

El3ctronics
Mar 29, 2012, 10:21 AM
Google is a cancer to the internet and to the mobile OS arena, and nobody should be using their crap.

You may not agree with some of Google's policies but the Internet is what it is today greatly due to their innovation.

cynics
Mar 29, 2012, 11:44 AM
I love ICS and what Matias Duarte has bought to the platform but just emphasizing the positive aspects of the platform would make it seem better. There are many things that the iPhone and iOS do better.

What about the OEMs who insist on changing the behavior and look of the UI? The recent ICS update on the SGSII springs to mind with the removal of drag and drop folders on the homescreen as one prime example.

What about applications that have not been updated that still rely on a Menu button instead of using the Action Bar for ICS? That shows off some big inconsistency IMO.

I'm as big an Android fan and user as you can get but not everything is hunky dory in Android land. Both have their plusses and minuses. Just take your pick on what works best for you.

As far as the menu button goes. ICS was released on the gnex so all controls are on screen. If an app uses a menu button then it appears on screen, if not it doesn't. Even very old apps work fine. Same goes for phones with capacitive buttons, if the except it can't disappear it just do anything.

Google got this all worked out on their first release of Honeycomb. Works great.

If I were to get an android phone I would wait for an ICS model with no capacitive buttons to get the larger screen. Although you only really get the full screen during movies and such it's nice.

ChazUK
Mar 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
As far as the menu button goes. ICS was released on the gnex so all controls are on screen. If an app uses a menu button then it appears on screen, if not it doesn't. Even very old apps work fine. Same goes for phones with capacitive buttons, if the except it can't disappear it just do anything.

Google got this all worked out on their first release of Honeycomb. Works great.

If I were to get an android phone I would wait for an ICS model with no capacitive buttons to get the larger screen. Although you only really get the full screen during movies and such it's nice.

Compatibility with older apps is fine on ICS regarding the menu button, I just wish more developers would heed this advice on the Google Developers Blog

http://android-developers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html

Apps that use the action bar feel more consistent in design on my GN. I find they also suit ICS better.

My wife has the Sony Xperia S which has capacitive buttons but full access to its 720p screen which I now prefer over my Galaxy Nexus. The soft buttons disappearing works great on videos though which is nice as you say.

riveting
Mar 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
How do you like touchpad CM9, I had CM7 on my touchpad before but hate it. Now I have CM9, but for only short time and I like it. I already ordered an ipad 3, but am thinking maybe I should cancel it if CM9 touchpad works nearly as good. What do you think compare touchpad CM9 experience to an ipad

After playing with ICS via CyanogenMod 9 on my Touchpad for a little while now, I like it. There is no requirement to use widgets, but the option is there. If you just want a simple icon layout, fine. No problem. Do it that way.

The biggest issue for me is Google Play, aka app store. Def not as refined as Apple's. But you can def get a ton of free games and apps. Even the new Angry Birds Space was free.

I like little things in ICS, like haptic feedback, having Flash Player 11 installed, but only activate when I give it permission, easy access to multiple style keyboards and layouts, real multitasking, with a nice rowof buttons for back, home and task tray, and of course great notifications. Android has a lot of great features, some that Apple now uses, so it is not all doom and gloom.

But with a jailbroken iphone and ipad, I utilize the best features of WebOS, iOS and Android into my iDvices, which in my opinion, makes them hands down the best in the world. :D That is not to say I don't have an appreciation for my new ICS Touchpad. I'm loving my Touchpad all over again.

-----
via CM9 32gb TP

jbennardo
Mar 30, 2012, 03:06 PM
http://youtu.be/NMiY1kSTHZw?hd=1
Interesting comparison, iOS 5.1 vs latest version of ICE CREAM SANDWICH 4.05

What are you guys thoughts?

This guy says customization almost as many times as Tim Tebow said he was excited to be in New York.

Customization ≠ Better

Eddie Bombay
Mar 30, 2012, 03:13 PM
ICS is really nice but the hand gestures on 5.1 can't be beat. I love ICS on my Transformer, but really love the fluidity 5.1 has to offer.

Love my iPad and love my transformer with ICS.

Love my galaxy note for everything else!

LSUtigers03
Mar 30, 2012, 03:18 PM

Yeah it's great

kalex
Mar 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
This video was well done, but here's my perspective on why I will NEVER use Android.

1) It's basically a tracking device. I don't care how many custom ROMs you put on it. It's a tracking device. Nobody is really auditing the code, and nobody is forking it to work independently of Google. I'm not buying a Google tracking device.

2) It wasn't designed to be fast in the first place. It needs a complete rewrite to work like iOS, and Google hasn't done it and will never do it because better hardware is slowly blurring the flaws.

3) It's not truly open-source. This is what Tizen and Meego are for. I don't want to use anything from a company like Google, but rather, I want to use something that is more like the mobile equivalent of putting Linux on your PC. Worked on by users, for users. Not some advertising company.

4) It drains your battery like crazy, especially when you use free apps. This shouldn't even be an issue for a phone. It's a tiny mobile OS. It shouldn't be using this many resources. I guess that's what comes with using a phone that is actively monitoring what you put into it.

5) I shouldn't need to root my phone to run certain apps. I should be able to add packages the same way I do on Linux and get them updated by adding repos, much like from the Cydia store, which I also need to jailbreak to get to. An OS should be so free that it will run ANYTHING from any store or website or kid's github page the minute you install that OS.

Android does a lot of things right, as shown in the video. However, these things are outweighed by these 5 points.

I use an iPhone despite those 5 points because Apple is a better company than Google. I trust them more. They make me want to buy their phone, despite the fact that I need to jailbreak it, which once I do, allows me to everything I want.

Once something that follows the 5 points comes out, such as Tizen or any Linux-type true open source mobile OS, I will drop my iPhone for that phone, because it will do what I want the way I want, without Google's crap involved in it.

WOW

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/60/303180-good_tin_foil_hat.jpg

0m3ga
Mar 30, 2012, 05:56 PM
How do you like touchpad CM9, I had CM7 on my touchpad before but hate it. Now I have CM9, but for only short time and I like it. I already ordered an ipad 3, but am thinking maybe I should cancel it if CM9 touchpad works nearly as good. What do you think compare touchpad CM9 experience to an ipad

You can not compare the capabilities of an ipad 2 or 3 to a CM9 Touchpad. I upload the nightly builds and have the latest google apps (17 Mar) download, but we are still talking an Alpha version, (albeit a very stable Alpha)!

The Touchpad with ICS is great, don't get me wrong, but here are my minor nitpicks (and these are minor):
I really love Android, and having a dual boot tablet kicks a55, but there are missed touch inputs quite frequently, which is a pain when typing. There is some minor lag in web browsing, and it took me a few downloads before I found the best browser and keyboard (that were set up similar to how the WebOS and iOS keyboards are). I can give you that info via PM if you wish. The Google Play store is acceptable, not quite as good as the app store, but good enough to fulfill your needs. Pandora, twitter, Facebook, etc... Are all in there. No Tweetbot though!

Anyway, if you have a Touchpad already, then the CM9 download is a no brainer! Get it. Will it be able to replace an iPad 2 or 3? Possibly, but those damn missed inputs will frustrate you when typing. I use my iPad exclusively for content creation and business. I use the TP for browsing and playing. Best of both worlds.

riveting
Mar 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks. Can I ask why you still need touchpad for play and browsing? Why not just use your ipad.
You can not compare the capabilities of an ipad 2 or 3 to a CM9 Touchpad. I upload the nightly builds and have the latest google apps (17 Mar) download, but we are still talking an Alpha version, (albeit a very stable Alpha)!

The Touchpad with ICS is great, don't get me wrong, but here are my minor nitpicks (and these are minor):
I really love Android, and having a dual boot tablet kicks a55, but there are missed touch inputs quite frequently, which is a pain when typing. There is some minor lag in web browsing, and it took me a few downloads before I found the best browser and keyboard (that were set up similar to how the WebOS and iOS keyboards are). I can give you that info via PM if you wish. The Google Play store is acceptable, not quite as good as the app store, but good enough to fulfill your needs. Pandora, twitter, Facebook, etc... Are all in there. No Tweetbot though!

Anyway, if you have a Touchpad already, then the CM9 download is a no brainer! Get it. Will it be able to replace an iPad 2 or 3? Possibly, but those damn missed inputs will frustrate you when typing. I use my iPad exclusively for content creation and business. I use the TP for browsing and playing. Best of both worlds.

bobTX10
Mar 30, 2012, 06:06 PM

Bullsh**!!! I use my music, calender, weather, time, bookmarks, and mail widgets all the time! Widgets never freezed my phone (that's not to say my android's never been frozen). Widgets is one of the reason why I love Android, so convenient. That's why threads like these never get anywhere. Everybody has different opinions and experiences.

Darthdingo
Mar 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
Only watched the first 5 minutes, but he makes a great point. Android 4 ICS is a MAJOR update to Android, and shows how outdated iOS is.

Invincibilizer
Mar 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
iOS is so bland, there is no contest

ICS will be the OS to beat in the coming months

0m3ga
Mar 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
iOS is so bland, there is no contest

ICS will be the OS to beat in the coming months

There is nothing to beat. This is not a contest between Android and iOS with some medal for first place. You are talking about software for gods sake!

Android has perks, but you can get the same ones on a jailbroken iDevice. IOS is inherently walled in, but there are those that kick the wall in too. Just another software flavor of Coke original is all.

mbell1975
Mar 30, 2012, 06:43 PM
What are you guys who think iOS is so dull and outdated doing in a forum for the iPhone? Troll much?

0m3ga
Mar 30, 2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks. Can I ask why you still need touchpad for play and browsing? Why not just use your ipad.

Because I enjoy Android and the differences between ICS and iOS. :D

Kry0s
Mar 30, 2012, 11:09 PM
What are you guys who think iOS is so dull and outdated doing in a forum for the iPhone? Troll much?

I have both an iPhone and a Nexus in my house (one belonging to my fiancée) and I agree that iOS feels outdated.

People actually writing their opinions rather than claiming iPhone is the greatest phone to ever exist and nothing is wrong with it = trolling?

If anything maybe you should leave your blatant fanboi comments out of the thread.