Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new survey commissioned by CNBC is as good a reason as any of why Apple's stock price has been on such a tear in recent years. More than half of all US homes own an Apple product, according to CNBC's All-America Economic survey -- and 1 in 10 homes that don't own any Apple products plan to purchase one in the next year.

applecnbc.jpg

"It's a fantastic business model -- the more of our products you own, the more likely you are to buy more," says Jay Campbell, a vice president of Hart Research Associates, which conducts the CNBC survey along with Bill McInturff. "Planned obsolescence has always been a part of the technology industries sales model, but Apple has taken it to a whole new level."
Among other findings in the survey:

- Income level is a strong indicator of Apple product ownership: 28% of those making under $30k/year own one, while 77% of those making more than $75k/year do.

- 63% of those aged 18-34 and 35-49 own Apple products, while only 50% of the 50-64 group do, and 26% among those 65 and older.

- 61% of households with children own an Apple product, versus 48% in those without kids.

- The average home in the South owns 1.2 Apple products, the smallest in any region. The average household in the country owns 1.6 devices.

CNBC noted that "the poll of 836 Americans was conducted by landline and cellphone from March 19 to 22 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percent."

Article Link: 51% of US Households Own An Apple Product

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I do think there is a halo effect with Apple products. I got my first mac 6 years ago and liked it so much thought to try out the iphone, the ipod touch, Apple TV, and get another MBP.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I assume they mean major products like iPod/iPhone/computer/iPad, not monitors and so forth.

We're probably all beyond this chart. I own more than 5.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I do think there is a halo effect with Apple products. I got my first mac 6 years ago and liked it so much thought to try out the iphone, the ipod touch, Apple TV, and get another MBP.

That sounds like my story too. Got a MBP as my first ever Apple product. Then the iPhone, 2 iMac's and now iPad. :)

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I think this may be party because Apple rewards users for buying further into the eco system. The more apple products you own, the more seamless the experience is. This seems to drive some people to buy more.

In my home, there is an iMac, a MacBook Pro, AirPort express, two iPod touches, three iPhones, an iPad, two iPod Nanos and an iPod classic. Accumulated over 6 years between 5 people, of course.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
Kinda surprising. I would've thought that with the iPod's domination of the MP3 player market, the number would be quite higher.
Agreed. Poll of 836 Americans? Give me a break.
Also note that in my experience, a surprising number of people think that "iPod" and "Mac" are company names, and may not immediately associate Apple with these products for some reason.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That actually surprises me...I would have though it would be lower...Good news though...Mind you, I guess if you count in Nano's and the like then yes it does make sense. How many households have 1 Mac or 1 iPad...Now that would be interesting.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC

Same here. Got a mac 4 years ago, then an iPhone, then converted our company to mac and that converted nearly everyone that works here to purchase iphones, ATVs and macs for home.

My exposure to my first mac helped convert about 14 others to Apple products. Apple has made about $200K from our company based solely on me purchasing one for my personal use. Can't guess how much our employees have spent.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I have more LG products in my home than Apple products. My range, microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher, TV, and computer monitor are LG. VS. iPod, iPhone, iBook

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
That actually surprises me...I would have though it would be lower...Good news though...Mind you, I guess if you count in Nano's and the like then yes it does make sense. How many households have 1 Mac or 1 iPad...Now that would be interesting.

I thought it would be higher!

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I have more than enough.
5 iPods, 3 iPhones and an iMac.
Used to have an Apple TV2, but got rid of it.
I don't count the dead iMac G4 and G5 since both are glorified doorstops now.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Perhaps I'm over thinking it, but I'm not sure exactly how to count. Does my time capsule count? How about my first gen iPhone which hasn't been used in years? The iPad 2 I'm about to sell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.