Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the suffering

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Saturday night I spilled lemonade/vodka on the front of my late 2009 MacBook pro 13 while it was on. The screen shut off immediately and it powered off. I pulled the bottom off, took out the battery and wiped/blow dried on low/canned air to the best of my ability and left it upside down to dry for the last 4 days. Today I decided to give it a try. When I press the power button the fan spins, the optical drive makes noise, and I can hear the hard drive spinning. Also the MagSafe connector indicates its charging. The led indicator on the front stays a solid white. My problems :
Nothing displays on the screen
Keyboard backlight does not light up
The apple startup sound does not occur.

I have tried:
Disconnecting keyboard cable
Placing ram in both spots with two different sticks to swap out

That said, what's the likelyhood that the logic board is fried? Is there anything more I can try to try breathing life into the laptop? I'd like to think since a lot of the typical things are working like the power button, led, hard drive, fan, etc that I just might have a chance of saving it. Any help is appreciated. For what its worth I have read a lot of the MacBook spill threads

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
The only thing that MAY be able to heal it is time. Time to completely dry off. If it doesn't work in a week then at best you've got a good excuse to buy a nice new laptop.

the suffering

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Have you tried checking out this thread? There are a lot of helpful people there that might be of service to you.

I read over that and tried it but no beuno. My mbp is responsive minus the display and back light and seemingly lack of boot since I don't get the sound

The only thing that MAY be able to heal it is time. Time to completely dry off. If it doesn't work in a week then at best you've got a good excuse to buy a nice new laptop.

Lol I dont want an excuse for a new laptop. Wifey and I planned to start trying for a baby next month and she wants to get new baby shopping underway already. She is ok with me getting a new one if it can't be revived as she knows I love it and can't go back to windows. Besides I'd rather devote that much to the baby stuff anyway if I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Sorry to hear. :( If it was just vodka, you would be a lot luckier. Lemonade is one of the worst, as it is going to leave a residue.

balk

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Vodka, gives you headaches ;-)
Get a refurb if time doesn't help you?

the suffering

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Vodka, gives you headaches ;-)
Get a refurb if time doesn't help you?

I'll probably just buy a used one on eBay. I don't really need the i5. If I can't get this one back working I'll probably sell it for parts/repair. Whats the worth? $300-500?

Also if a replacement is needed can I just toss my old hard drive in the new one or is a reformat required?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.