Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fozy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
My new Apple TV 3 came today. It does not allow for streaming audio content to other airport express units.

My Apple TV 1 lets the user select multiple airport express units at one time, like the iTunes on Mac lets users select more than one airport express for audio streaming.

Even iPhone would let you select more than one airport for airplay streaming until recently.

Does anyone have any ideas or work arounds for this issue? I only purchased the new AppleTV for 1080 content, so I could use two AppleTV's one for audio, one for video.

Thanks!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
My new Apple TV 3 came today. It does not allow for streaming audio content to other airport express units.
the 2 is like this also.
the 2/3 are designed more as an extension of your other devices, rather than it's own source. the same reason why it has no storage.

Even iPhone would let you select more than one airport for airplay streaming until recently.
are you sure? i'm pretty sure it's always been to one only.
I've been using airplay since it was airtunes, long before the first iphone came out. and have multiple expresses, don't ever think iOS did multiple.

Does anyone have any ideas or work arounds for this issue?
remote on your iphone controlling iTunes on your computer?

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
You can invoke iTunes on your computer (if you have one) and select ATV, and multiple airport express units.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
You can invoke iTunes on your computer (if you have one) and select ATV, and multiple airport express units.

This is exactly what we do with iTunes running on a Mac Mini and Apples Remote app running on our iPads and iPhones. I've output the same audio stream to two apple TVs and two airport extremes at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.