PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 1.67 kernel panic-- won't boot

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 01:48 AM
:S Need help, my powerbook wont boot! kernel panic everytime..

I tried to remove 1 RAM bar, and then the other, nothing happened.

I tried a diff OS that was on same HDD... same

I reinstalled (clean install) of Tiger on an external firewire 800 drive, and it won't boot either.

What do I do?

zen.state
Mar 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
:S Need help, my powerbook wont boot! kernel panic everytime..

I tried to remove 1 RAM bar, and then the other, nothing happened.

I tried a diff OS that was on same HDD... same

I reinstalled (clean install) of Tiger on an external firewire 800 drive, and it won't boot either.

What do I do?

Can you please give more specifics of exactly what happens when you try to boot and how far it gets before the KP. Is it consistently at the same time in the boot process? Is the KP instantaneous?

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 11:11 AM
Can you please give more specifics of exactly what happens when you try to boot and how far it gets before the KP. Is it consistently at the same time in the boot process? Is the KP instantaneous?

Thanks for response.
Well the computer boots to the progress bar, it loads, the user window shows up, and then you have 3 seconds to type in the start of your password... then BOOM. Kernel panic, sometimes with weird flashing colors.

It happens exactly at the same time everytime in the boot process.

The computer boots in safe mode, but this is unsuable since everything is turned off.

I don't see how this could be an OS problem because I freshly installed Tiger (using my MDD) on a firewire drive, put it on the laptop and still... same Kernel panic, same time in the boot process.

zen.state
Mar 29, 2012, 11:24 AM
Sounds like it could be an extension issue. Make a new bare bones Admin account and if it boots fine then I am 99% sure it's an extension something 3rd party added that has become corrupted.

Could also be something like the sound controller or something along that line. If thats the case then the KP would be because the extension can't access the hardware it controls.

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
Sounds like it could be an extension issue. Make a new Admin account and if it boots fine then I am 99% sure it's an extension something 3rd party added that has become corrupted.

Thats what I first thought... But how do you explain it won't boot from a clean install?

zen.state
Mar 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Thats what I first thought... But how do you explain it won't boot from a clean install?

Read the 2nd line I added after your quote. It's possible that one of the controllers on the logic board is dead. It's certainly not a power issue.

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 11:36 AM
Read the 2nd line I added after your quote. It's possible that one of the controllers on the logic board is dead. It's certainly not a power issue.

Ah... sorry. I read too fast.

What can I do if one of the controllers on the logic board is dead?
Does that bascially mean my computer is dead?...

zen.state
Mar 29, 2012, 11:40 AM
Ah... sorry. I read too fast.

What can I do if one of the controllers on the logic board is dead?
Does that bascially mean my computer is dead?...

First you should run a proper hardware test on it. Do you have the original test disk? I have images of every test disk ever made if you need it. As a certified tech I can legally give them away.

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
First you should run a proper hardware test on it. Do you have the original test disk? I have images of every test disk ever made if you need it. As a certified tech I can legally give them away.

Thanks but the Apple Hardware test is already running. I have all original DVDs. Yesterday I run the "fast test" and it passed everything. I'm running the other one now.

zen.state
Mar 29, 2012, 11:56 AM
If the hardware test finds nothing then you will have to try removing each extension one by one and attempt a boot to really narrow it down. It will be grueling but should find the issue.

If you have to do the above mentioned then create a temp folder outside of the user folder to hold each one as you try to boot without it.

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
If the hardware test finds nothing then you will have to try removing each extension one by one and attempt a boot to really narrow it down. It will be grueling but should find the issue.

If you have to do the above mentioned then create a temp folder outside of the user folder to hold each one as you try to boot without it.

The hardware test found nothing.

So... whats happening? One of the hardware components is dead and I gotta turn off the corresponding extension?

zen.state
Mar 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
The hardware test found nothing.

So... whats happening? One of the hardware components is dead and I gotta turn off the corresponding extension?

If a new account didn't work and since the hardware test found nothing along with it booting fine in safe mode tells me it's an issue with one of the less important controllers and/or the PCB connection to it.

Since I can't put my hands on it the best I can advise is a militaristic hunt for the extension that can't load.

zen.state
Mar 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
Almost forgot.. check the console on both the internal and external installs and see if any errors were posted there.

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 12:59 PM
Almost forgot.. check the console on both the internal and external installs and see if any errors were posted there.

The damn thing wont even boot in safe mode anymore.
Plus, it seems to crash when in target mode. I can't mount it on my MDD...

WTF???

666sheep
Mar 29, 2012, 01:17 PM
Kernel panic, sometimes with weird flashing colors.

It happens exactly at the same time everytime in the boot process.

The computer boots in safe mode, but this is unsuable since everything is turned off.

I don't see how this could be an OS problem because I freshly installed Tiger (using my MDD) on a firewire drive

It seems that graphics card was giving up the ghost and now it's fully dead.

zen.state
Mar 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
It seems that graphics card was giving up the ghost and now it's fully dead.

I mostly ruled that out since the GPU seemed fine in safe mode. Could also be the video memory.

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Anything I can do???....

Nova77
Mar 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
Update: it boots on the install DVD.

Xandros
Mar 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
I know you've run hardware tests and not found any apparent problems but if you ask me, the hard disc has gone south on you - possibly backed up by the fact you can boot it off the optical but a clean install off the HDD was giving you issues.

As zen.state suggested pulling individual hardware components out and running a trial and error approach might be your only solution now, but the HDD would be my first port of call, and it's a fairly straight forward process to access it on a 1.67 G4. I mean I could be wrong of course, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to just try a known working drive in there.

zen.state
Mar 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
Any updates, Nova?

As zen.state suggested pulling individual hardware components out and running a trial and error approach might be your only solution now, but the HDD would be my first port of call, and it's a fairly straight forward process to access it on a 1.67 G4. I mean I could be wrong of course, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to just try a known working drive in there.

I wasn't talking about pulling any hardware as most of it can't be pulled without making the computer unable to boot. I meant disabling it by not loading the extension. Doing that one at a time without a safe boot to see if one not being there allows it to boot without a KP. If it did boot with one disabled then that points the finger at whatever hardware it controls.

Based on the info I have I would rule out GPU or HD failure at this point at least.

Nova77
Mar 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
Any updates, Nova?

I wasn't talking about pulling any hardware as most of it can't be pulled without making the computer unable to boot. I meant disabling it by not loading the extension. Doing that one at a time without a safe boot to see if one not being there allows it to boot without a KP. If it did boot with one disabled then that points the finger at whatever hardware it controls.

Based on the info I have I would rule out GPU or HD failure at this point at least.

Update: Now it won't boot, even in safe mode. Clean install did nothing. Target mode doesn't work.

Nameci
Mar 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
Can you still hear the boot chime?

Nova77
Mar 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
Can you still hear the boot chime?

Yes, its just that kernel panic happens earlier now. Apple logo, loading, and kernel panic... It won't make it to the users selection box now.

Nameci
Mar 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
Even with booting from the install disk? If booting from the install disk boot take to install process without KP, then I am afraid that your HDD is about to give up.

Nova77
Mar 31, 2012, 10:29 AM
Even with booting from the install disk? If booting from the install disk boot take to install process without KP, then I am afraid that your HDD is about to give up.

The install process was 100% fine, but when it restarts on the clean install... same kernel panic.

zen.state
Mar 31, 2012, 10:45 AM
The install process was 100% fine, but when it restarts on the clean install... same kernel panic.

More proof to me that it's not the drive. It's a very odd issue indeed and many of the things that are happening make no sense. I would say take it to a tech but most charge over 90 per hour so you could buy a new one for about the same amount as 2-3 hours worth of work.

This is the kind of issue where I would need to test all the chips and PCB links to them to decipher the issue properly.

Nova77
Mar 31, 2012, 11:33 AM
More proof to me that it's not the drive. It's a very odd issue indeed and many of the things that are happening make no sense. I would say take it to a tech but most charge over 90 per hour so you could buy a new one for about the same amount as 2-3 hours worth of work.

This is the kind of issue where I would need to test all the chips and PCB links to them to decipher the issue properly.

Could it be the drive? I have to say this is the second drive... first one died because of overheating.

zen.state
Mar 31, 2012, 11:52 AM
Could it be the drive? I have to say this is the second drive... first one died because of overheating.

The reason I rule out the drive is that you have been able to do a couple reformats and reinstalls on it. A drive that can do those things should have no issue booting at all.

Nameci
Mar 31, 2012, 12:12 PM
What if it has bad sectors Zen?

Nova77
Mar 31, 2012, 02:20 PM
The reason I rule out the drive is that you have been able to do a couple reformats and reinstalls on it. A drive that can do those things should have no issue booting at all.

I did not reformat the whole drive, I just wiped out one partition and reinstall the system.

California
Mar 31, 2012, 02:30 PM
I did not reformat the whole drive, I just wiped out one partition and reinstall the system.

I don't trust that partition business. Just reformat the whole drive and see what happens. Also make sure you are not doing the reformat in GUID.

zen.state
Mar 31, 2012, 02:53 PM
Yes you need to do a proper format on the drive. Back up whatever isn't already and wipe the whole thing into 1 partition then try the whole install and boot again.

666sheep
Mar 31, 2012, 03:06 PM
Try also verbose mode.

Nova77
Mar 31, 2012, 03:14 PM
Yes you need to do a proper format on the drive. Back up whatever isn't already and wipe the whole thing into 1 partition then try the whole install and boot again.

I can't access my files.... how could I?

zen.state
Mar 31, 2012, 03:17 PM
I can't access my files.... how could I?

Target disk mode (if it works) or take it out.

This is why you should always backup everything anyway.

Nova77
Mar 31, 2012, 06:31 PM
Target disk mode (if it works) or take it out.

This is why you should always backup everything anyway.

Who said I have no backup? I just don't wanna lose my latest japanese anime. Btw who I am supposed to take out a laptop drive and access it after?... Its not like I have a billion computers and hardware to mess with.

Nova77
Mar 31, 2012, 07:05 PM
Update: I was able to boot it again, holding shift key at startup on fresh tiger install.

How do I find a faulty extension? I don't know what to do

Xandros
Mar 31, 2012, 08:01 PM
I wasn't talking about pulling any hardware

Admittedly I didn't really read most of what you were waffling on about, I do apologise.

I wouldn't rule it out, mostly because I've had very similar issues described in this thread occur with an iBook a few years back. Turned out the HDD was ****ed.

Edit: (sorry missed the last post there Nova77)

Update: I was able to boot it again, holding shift key at startup on fresh tiger install.

Even if you do find a faulty extensions, chances are turning it off won't fix the underlying issue. After all something's caused it to become faulty in the first place, right? I really do think you should just at least try swapping the HDD and trying a clean install. If I'm wrong then well slap my arse and call me Suzi and I'll shut the hell up.

Edit edit: I dunno what 1.67 G4 you have but here's (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-15-Inch-1-67-GHz-Hard-Drive/638/1) some info on HDD removal for the hi res 15" - ifixit's got the tuts for the other models too, not that they're a whole lot different.

Aside from all this if you're not confident or capable of doing this procedure then chances are what's causing your problem isn't anything you can fix yourself either, and finding out the problem from this forum ain't really going to solve that issue so you might as well just take it to a repair shop and get them to fix it.

Nova77
Apr 2, 2012, 11:37 AM
Admittedly I didn't really read most of what you were waffling on about, I do apologise.

I wouldn't rule it out, mostly because I've had very similar issues described in this thread occur with an iBook a few years back. Turned out the HDD was ****ed.

Edit: (sorry missed the last post there Nova77)

Even if you do find a faulty extensions, chances are turning it off won't fix the underlying issue. After all something's caused it to become faulty in the first place, right? I really do think you should just at least try swapping the HDD and trying a clean install. If I'm wrong then well slap my arse and call me Suzi and I'll shut the hell up.

Edit edit: I dunno what 1.67 G4 you have but here's (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-15-Inch-1-67-GHz-Hard-Drive/638/1) some info on HDD removal for the hi res 15" - ifixit's got the tuts for the other models too, not that they're a whole lot different.

Aside from all this if you're not confident or capable of doing this procedure then chances are what's causing your problem isn't anything you can fix yourself either, and finding out the problem from this forum ain't really going to solve that issue so you might as well just take it to a repair shop and get them to fix it.

I would take out the hard drive if I had another one to put in place, which I don't have.
Still don't understand why this thing would get the same kernel panic via external firewire drive if it was hard drive related...

666sheep
Apr 2, 2012, 12:26 PM

Verbose mode.

Nova77
Apr 2, 2012, 12:27 PM
Verbose mode.

I tried and it crashes... kernel panic
Maybe I should try again on the clean install... might be different...

Anyway I don't know what to do in verbose mode.

Nova77
Apr 2, 2012, 09:06 PM
At last, some good news! yeah!

I got to boot freshly installed tiger boot partition without disabling anything. (idk if its luck lol)
And now I've found out it won't recognize airport at start. When I go in network prefs and press "apply" settings, kernel panic.

To me it sounds as if the airport card is faulty or... more likely a bad connection. I say this because the top of my laptop is slightly damaged (it has been for quite a long time).

However, the hard drive feels slow as hell! Its sluggish as I've never seen it before (exept when drive was near full), and thats on a clean install. So this might be a double issue thing.

I'm backing up the remaning files because last backup is too old, and I'm gonna wipe out the entire drive.

Nameci
Apr 2, 2012, 09:22 PM
Nova, I would suggest that you replace your hard drive. It seems that you cannot rely on it anymore. Anytime soon it will hit the dust.

Nova77
Apr 2, 2012, 09:34 PM
Nova, I would suggest that you replace your hard drive. It seems that you cannot rely on it anymore. Anytime soon it will hit the dust.

Personnaly I think the HDD is sluggish for software related reasons. Haven't cleaned anything and run almost NO maintenance stuff for approx 2 years (since I got it). I don't think a fairly new WD drive would die out so quick.

As I said the computer is damaged, plus, the first time it got kernel panic was after I had a hard time with the cover (screen), because that thing barely closes. That put with the fact the kernel panic doesnt happen anymore on a clean install because airport comes disabled at start, and when you apply network settings, BOOM... and its the only thing that doesnt work proprely at the moment...

I'm gonna throw away that airport kext and see if I can apply network settings. If its the case, and everything works fine again, well.... And I will also do a clean install, erasing all partitions.

p4madeus
Apr 3, 2012, 10:44 AM
I just fixed a friend's PB G4 who has this exact same issue. It is not the HD, graphics card, or logic board as others have suggested, it is the Airport card as you came to discover.
It can boot in Tiger because it doesn't load Airport right away like in Leopard.
Confirm this by booting Leopard (install disc boot works) in verbose mode (hold Shift + V after chime). It will show you the details of the kernel panic, the airport drivers should be in the backtrace.
Removing your Airport kext will not fix it, I attempted this and it did nothing.
Only solution is to physically remove the bad airport card.
Excellent guides can be found here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/PowerBook_G4_Aluminum_Series
As soon as I removed the bad airport card from my friend's PB it booted fine, no more kernel panics.
You'll have to get a new airport card or a 3rd party wireless card... for a computer of this age I'd just get a cheapy 3rd party...these are small cheap and mac compatible: http://www.airlink101.com/products/adapter.php

Nova77
Apr 3, 2012, 10:52 AM
I just fixed a friend's PB G4 who has this exact same issue. It is not the HD, graphics card, or logic board as others have suggested, it is the Airport card as you came to discover.
It can boot in Tiger because it doesn't load Airport right away like in Leopard.
Confirm this by booting Leopard (install disc boot works) in verbose mode (hold Shift + V after chime). It will show you the details of the kernel panic, the airport drivers should be in the backtrace.
Removing your Airport kext will not fix it, I attempted this and it did nothing.
Only solution is to physically remove the bad airport card.
Excellent guides can be found here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/PowerBook_G4_Aluminum_Series
As soon as I removed the bad airport card from my friend's PB it booted fine, no more kernel panics.
You'll have to get a new airport card or a 3rd party wireless card... for a computer of this age I'd just get a cheapy 3rd party...these are small cheap and mac compatible: http://www.airlink101.com/products/adapter.php

Thanks for the input, I'll check this out. I'm pretty sure its the airport card, and leopard wouldn't even boot in safe mode, so thats probably the same problem here. Also I guess my old Tiger system wouldn't boot normally because prefs were set to auto activate airport at start and connect to my network. After a clean install, airport is not activated at start.

Guess I'm gonna get some usb or add-on card for wireless N.

p4madeus
Apr 3, 2012, 11:03 AM
and leopard wouldn't even boot in safe mode

Leopard would not boot in safe mode on my friend's PB G4 either.

Nova77
Apr 3, 2012, 11:04 AM
Removed Airport kexts and cleaned the cache... result : no more kernel panic when I apply network settings. One more proof this has to do with the airport card.

p4madeus
Apr 3, 2012, 11:11 AM
Removed Airport kexts and cleaned the cache... result : no more kernel panic when I apply network settings. One more proof this has to do with the airport card.

Interesting - probably since you are still in Tiger, it did not work for me with a Leopard install.