Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Is there a way to avoid the subtitles grey box in the background?

In the latest version of handbrake i cannot choose forced only when adding subs to an Avi.....

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Is there a way to avoid the subtitles grey box in the background?
Not in HB, that is done by the playback platform.

In the latest version of handbrake i cannot choose forced only when adding subs to an Avi.....
You are not using the latest if you are adding subs to an avi. HB hasn't used avi as an output option for quite some time. years in fact.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I use Movies iphone's app and there is no way to remove the grey box...

As I told you in pm as well as here. its playback. iTunes and iOS devices tend to use that translucent gray box to help make the 3GPP soft subs more readable. Same movie file, same subs etc in xbmc and the box is not there. Haven't tried vlc yet but it may not be there either.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
As I told you in pm as well as here. its playback. iTunes and iOS devices tend to use that translucent gray box to help make the 3GPP soft subs more readable. Same movie file, same subs etc in xbmc and the box is not there. Haven't tried vlc yet but it may not be there either.

Ok so is there any program to just burn in (not soft but forced) subtitles to an Avi,mkv,mp4 etc?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Ok so is there any program to just burn in (not soft but forced) subtitles to an Avi,mkv,mp4 etc?

Handbrake will do that. Other options out there if you want to add steps to make the "prettier".

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003

well, maybe but ... what are you trying to achieve? You are using a 3GPP soft sub in an mp4. the "grey box" you loathe so much is put there by the playback software ...

So, I guess to answer your question no, hb cannot "burn in" an srt into the video track. That would require OCR (Optical Character Recognition) which is imperfect at best. HB can burn in dvd subs since they are basically bitmaps.

Not sure where to suggest you go to. Your major gripe is how iTunes and IOS devices display soft subs. Its not an HB issue. Fwiw, imo the display of the softsubs in iTunes and IOS is imo the most legible. But that of course is an opinion. As always ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its NOT an hb issue.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
well, maybe but ... what are you trying to achieve? You are using a 3GPP soft sub in an mp4. the "grey box" you loathe so much is put there by the playback software ...

So, I guess to answer your question no, hb cannot "burn in" an srt into the video track. That would require OCR (Optical Character Recognition) which is imperfect at best. HB can burn in dvd subs since they are basically bitmaps.

Not sure where to suggest you go to. Your major gripe is how iTunes and IOS devices display soft subs. Its not an HB issue. Fwiw, imo the display of the softsubs in iTunes and IOS is imo the most legible. But that of course is an opinion. As always ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its NOT an hb issue.

I used HB to burn Avatar forced subs from an srt. Didn't I???

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
No, HB CANNOT "Burn" forced subs or any subs from an srt. file.

An srt file is just a timed text file. HB cannot burn those.

Thanks. I must have used either Subler or possibly mkvmergegui, then. Been trying so many things converting my iso/mkv files to be aTV 3 compatible, I am losing track. :eek:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks. I must have used either Subler or possibly mkvmergegui, then. Been trying so many things converting my iso/mkv files to be aTV 3 compatible, I am losing track. :eek:

Subler also cannot "burn in" an srt track I don't think mkvmergegui can either.

Burned in subs are actually bitmaps burned into the video track. It would require OCR for it to work and even the best ocr ... sucks.

Edit: Handbrake has always burned in dvd subs since they are bitmaps in the source. not text tracks.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Subler also cannot "burn in" an srt track I don't think mkvmergegui can either.

Burned in subs are actually bitmaps burned into the video track. It would require OCR for it to work and even the best ocr ... sucks.

Edit: Handbrake has always burned in dvd subs since they are bitmaps in the source. not text tracks.
You are right...surprise!!! I had to go check, but yes, they are added as a separate soft sub track. I am humbled. :eek::eek::eek:

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The grey box subtitle .... I hate it but only notice it on my Mac (QuickTime) and AppleTV.

On my iPad, if I watch a 1280 x 588 ( or whatever vert resolution video ) not fit to screen, the subtitles show up but not in that dreaded grey box.

The subs appear in the black area without annoying us.

Any idea what is going on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.