Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
When I launch an application that has instant spell check built in (the little red line thingy under mispelled words and helps your correct it), the service Apple uses to do it "AppleSpell.service" launches in the dock and then stops responding. Can someone help me fix this? I did a google and they said it was a corrupt file and needs to be replaced with a working file.

So does anyone know how to fix this or can you please send me your AppleSpell.service file to zicklepop AT zicklepop.com?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Try repairing permissions. If that doesn't work, try logging into a different account and see whether the problem persists - this will help track down what the problem is (usually problems are caused by bad settings, rather than corrupted files).

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Okay it doesn't happen as other users (the one I tested with was non-administrator).

PS: I did repair disk permissions.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Try going into your library folder, and then dragging the folder

/users/(you)/library/spelling

onto the desktop, and then running an app that needs spell checker. If it works, delete the folder you put on your desktop. The negative to this is that spell checker will forget any words you taught it. If you run into more trouble because of this, just drag the folder back to the Library folder you got it from.

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Try going into your library folder, and then dragging the folder

/users/(you)/library/spelling

onto the desktop, and then running an app that needs spell checker. If it works, delete the folder you put on your desktop. The negative to this is that spell checker will forget any words you taught it. If you run into more trouble because of this, just drag the folder back to the Library folder you got it from.
There isn't one...

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
After an hour on the phone with Apple they said create a new user and move everything to it.. thanks guys!

FunkSpaceMonkey

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2004
Australia
I've had that thing appear in the dock ever since I installed 10.4. I've been hoping it'll disappear one day. But it still hasn't, despite updates.. I'm not creating a new user. What a joke.. There must be a way for this to be fixed. Let me know via pm if anyone ever figures it out.

kpechter

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2005
i, too, have had this problem since i upgraded to 10.4. i seem to have fixed the problem by the following:

1. copying Applespell.service to the Desktop
2. deleting the original (requires password)
3. moving the copy back to the System/Library/Services/ folder (requires password)

FunkSpaceMonkey

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2004
Australia
Seems to have worked.. Wow.. I'm very excited.

Can't empty the trash though.. That should work after a restart.. I'm not going to get too excited. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.