PDA

View Full Version : Love Macbooks but need one PC ultrabook

Tritons
Mar 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hei
So I recently bought 2011 Macbook Air and since my mom saw it she loves it and want one too, but for her work she needs Windows PC.
Which one of all those ultrabooks is closest to Macbook Air looking at performance, build quality and battery?

I was looking on Samsung Series 9 13''. Do you think it's good choice?

oldMac
Mar 29, 2012, 02:18 PM
You could always go with a MacBook Air running running Bootcamp.

mac26
Mar 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hei
So I recently bought 2011 Macbook Air and since my mom saw it she loves it and want one too, but for her work she needs Windows PC.
Which one of all those ultrabooks is closest to Macbook Air looking at performance, build quality and battery?

Like another person said use bootcamp otherwise check out the Asus Zenbook or the Dell XPS 13 ultra book
These look a lot like (and are copies of) MBA which your mother would probably like. Samsung Series 9 is more expensive than these options I believe

Panch0
Mar 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
HP Folio or Samsung Series 5 may also be options. The Series 5 is less expensive that the Series 9.

bootsanford
Mar 29, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hi, I also need to access Windows due to my job. I've been using VMWare Fusion on my MBP to run Windows, and it's been great! I would recommend exploring that as an option before investing in a PC computer that you really don't want.

identity
Mar 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
HP Folio or Samsung Series 5 may also be options. The Series 5 is less expensive that the Series 9.

Yeah the Samsung 9 is rediculously priced unless you want to go for the first gen which is at $999 or maybe lower, depends on where you look and the condition of it.

If money is no issue, I'd go with the new Samsung Series 9.

Tritons
Mar 30, 2012, 06:38 AM
In this case money isn't issue.
Since my mother needs something really portable and based on windows I think it would be better to buy something that is designed for windows.
I live in Latvia and new Samsung Series 9 is not available here yet as well as Dell and Asus ultabooks. I think I'll wait till new Samsung Series 9 will be available in Latvia or do you have better idea.

slesnick3
Mar 30, 2012, 08:26 AM
I have purchased both the Series 9 and the Series 3 from Samsung for various clients. I am not sure as to the status of the Series 3 but it was actually more portable than the Series 9 with the same i5 processor and larger non-ssd hard drive. My clients loved it. Here is what I am referring to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131248
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131248)
They also had a model with the i3 processor and slower GPU -- I would stay away from that on.

shadowjeff
Mar 30, 2012, 10:46 AM
installing windows 7 on mba is pretty easy. I installed it on my mba and it works just as well, if not better, as other windows laptop. Only problem is the keyboard shortcuts that your mum might be used to while using windows keyboard.

Since your mum loves the mba, i don't think any other ultra book in the market can match the looks of the mba. Well the samsung series 9 does look pretty good too.

Tritons
Mar 30, 2012, 02:59 PM
I have purchased both the Series 9 and the Series 3 from Samsung for various clients.
Series 3 looks kind of cheap.

installing windows 7 on mba is pretty easy. I installed it on my mba and it works just as well.

If I would need windows I would still go with MBP/MBA but she needs those Tap + ctrl shortcuts so I belive windows machine will work better for her.

It looks like 9 series is best chose but here in Latvia there is only old one and not the new 2012 model.

(sorry for my bad english as you know I'm latvian.

ZBoater
Mar 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
In this case money isn't issue.
Since my mother needs something really portable and based on windows I think it would be better to buy something that is designed for windows.
I live in Latvia and new Samsung Series 9 is not available here yet as well as Dell and Asus ultabooks. I think I'll wait till new Samsung Series 9 will be available in Latvia or do you have better idea.

The MBA runs Windows better than most other laptops out there.

Risasi
Mar 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm not saying to do this, just adding to zboater's post:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/2787484/macbook-air-with-windows-7-review-the-ultrabook-to-rule-them-all

(p.s. I boot camp and run both OSX and Windows 7)

KylePowers
Mar 30, 2012, 10:26 PM
Hei

+1 for just getting an MBA and either bootcamping Windows or virtualizing it along side Lion. I virtualize Windows 7 Ultimate on my 2011 13in MBA with Virtualbox (free) along side Lion for the multitude of Windows apps I need access to for my classes/research/etc and it works flawlessly. It operates much faster and is indeed more stable than any previous Windows laptop I've had (my last one was a super expensive Sony Z). I can't even imagine how amazing it'd run if I actually used Bootcamp o_O

zzLZHzz
Mar 30, 2012, 10:32 PM
+1 for just getting an MBA and either bootcamping Windows or virtualizing it along side Lion. I virtualize Windows 7 Ultimate on my 2011 13in MBA with Virtualbox (free) along side Lion for the multitude of Windows apps I need access to for my classes/research/etc and it works flawlessly. It operates much faster and is indeed more stable than any previous Windows laptop I've had (my last one was a super expensive Sony Z). I can't even imagine how amazing it'd run if I actually used Bootcamp o_O

does it not lag?

i tried on my early 2010 MBP (it was a C2D with 4gb ram) and used parallel to virtualize windows 7 ultimate. it was so lag i can barely do anything with it. gave up virtualizing and went bootcamp instead.

jcdinkins
Mar 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
I have a 2010 MBP and run W7 64 bit boot camped and I love it. I don't know about parallels sorry. I run it to where I can come up in Lion and/or W7. It's one or the other. This MBP makes a fantastic windows machine. Scores a 5.9 on the performance test. Anyways, my .02. Take care.

2IS
Mar 30, 2012, 11:12 PM
Asus Zenbook is the closest thing to the air with build quality to match. Samsung series 9 is junk compared to either the air or the asus. Flimsy design and a **** screen.

KylePowers
Mar 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
does it not lag?

i tried on my early 2010 MBP (it was a C2D with 4gb ram) and used parallel to virtualize windows 7 ultimate. it was so lag i can barely do anything with it. gave up virtualizing and went bootcamp instead.
Nope, no lag for me. Did you have an SSD? I think that probably makes a significant difference, especially since I only gave it access to two cores and 2GB of RAM. A Sandy Bridge CPU probably helps a lot too, but I'd still say the SSD is key.

EDIT- Also, I haven't had much success with Parallels. I didn't like it the one time I tried it, so that could be the culprit too.

Yggbert
Mar 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
I would go for a MBA using Bootcamp too. It's hard to find a Windows laptop that has all 3 of the following:

- Good battery life
- A good keyboard
- A good trackpad

Where as every MacBook in the last 4-5 years has nailed this. Although admittedly the 2011 11" MBA is a little bit disappointing in the battery life department.

It's a little bit expensive to 'just' run Windows but I'd say it's worth it, never underestimate how good the MacBook trackpads are! I hate using 99% of Windows laptops.

tom vilsack
Mar 31, 2012, 01:28 AM
"Thanks to the ZenBook, I'm no longer recommending MacBooks"

http://www.osnews.com/story/25746/Thanks_to_the_ZenBook_I_m_no_longer_recommending_MacBooks

Tritons
Mar 31, 2012, 02:50 AM
Ok, if my mother will be ok to lose tab and cntr shortcuts I'll get her Macbook Air, if not Samsung Series 9

Yggbert
Mar 31, 2012, 03:19 AM
"Thanks to the ZenBook, I'm no longer recommending MacBooks"

http://www.osnews.com/story/25746/Thanks_to_the_ZenBook_I_m_no_longer_recommending_MacBooks

It's not quite up to Apple standards in all areas, though; the keyboard is slightly less pleasant to type on, and the touchpad, while quite good with the latest drivers, is simply still not up to the exquisite quality of Apple's (a Windows 7 issue, actually, since the exact same drivers on Windows 8 deliver an Apple-quality experience).

I know it's just my opinion but forget the CPU speed and the graphics chip, go for the laptop with the quality keyboard and trackpad, that's what's really important. I'm not against Windows or their laptops (love 7 on desktop) but they really need to get a clue and start including quality trackpads. Maybe somebody will get it right with Windows 8, I won't hold my breath.

Kendo
Mar 31, 2012, 05:17 PM
I think the Dell XPS 13 is the perfect MacBook Air clone.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1331418

KylePowers
Mar 31, 2012, 07:20 PM
Ok, if my mother will be ok to lose tab and cntr shortcuts I'll get her Macbook Air, if not Samsung Series 9
:confused: Both those buttons are still on the keyboard lol

Matthew9559
Mar 31, 2012, 08:04 PM
Right now the Dell XPS 13 and Asus Zenbook have the best reviews. I was in the market for a Windows Ultrabook but all of them seem to be lacking that the MBA offers (backlight keyboard, screen rez, quality trackpad, etc.) so I ended up with a 13 MBA 128 GB.

If I had to get a Windows ultrabook, I would choose one of the above based on reviews. Personally, if I had to have Windows I would not go with a MBA with a Windows partition... I would rather stick with hardware made for Windows. I used to bootcamp my MBP for college and it worked very well but something about just running an Apple laptop on Windows with no use ever for OS X just doesn't sit right with me. Just my personal opinion though, I know from experience Windows runs well on Apple hardware.

nexsta
Mar 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
The simple answer is - there are no alternatives for the macbook air. you can forget every computer that people named here. No one can reach the quality of a macbook air. Windows runs perfectly on this machine, you just don't get the crappy windows logo on the keyboard.

buddybd
Mar 31, 2012, 10:22 PM
Bootcamping or virtualizing Windows is just not the same.

There have been some really nice ultrabooks released recently, most notably the XPS 13 UB. I would look into that more than the Samsung Series 9.

ZBoater
Mar 31, 2012, 11:12 PM
Bootcamping or virtualizing Windows is just not the same.

Ummmm, why not?

I've been a Windows geek all my life until I got my MBA. First Apple computer I ever owned. I had to Bootcamp Windows since I have to run software not available for Mac (like Quicken for Business).

My MBA runs Windows better than any other laptop I ever owned. Granted, the MBA is the first laptop with a SSD I use, so that definitely plays a role, but the MBA running Windows behaves just like any other laptop. And the Bootcamp windows driver support is better than anything I've seen before. It was actually quite freaky.

I'm curious to hear what is not the "same".

2IS
Mar 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
The simple answer is - there are no alternatives for the macbook air. you can forget every computer that people named here. No one can reach the quality of a macbook air. Windows runs perfectly on this machine, you just don't get the crappy windows logo on the keyboard.

If you're not an Apple fanboy you'd know the Zenbook easily matches the build quality of the MBA.

nexsta
Apr 1, 2012, 02:12 PM
If you're not an Apple fanboy you'd know the Zenbook easily matches the build quality of the MBA.

If you would read the reviews of the zenbook, you'd know that it's still far away from the quality of a macbook air.

Kendo
Apr 1, 2012, 02:17 PM

It is true, there is no alternative to a MacBook Air.

However, buying a MacBook Air to run Windows over an actual Windows Ultrabook is just foolish and expensive. I wanted to let go of my Windows laptop after getting a MacBook Air (I need Windows for work) but not having certain buttons like Alt, Pause Break, and Del was frankly annoying (I need those buttons for my programs).

Setting them to hot keys on the Mac keyboard made things more frustrating. In my opinion, if you need Windows, you need a Windows PC. There is just no way around it unfortunately.

skubish
Apr 1, 2012, 02:42 PM
Wirelessly posted

If money is no object, just get a MBA and use bootcamp.

thekev
Apr 1, 2012, 02:46 PM
Ummmm, why not?

I've been a Windows geek all my life until I got my MBA. First Apple computer I ever owned. I had to Bootcamp Windows since I have to run software not available for Mac (like Quicken for Business).

My MBA runs Windows better than any other laptop I ever owned. Granted, the MBA is the first laptop with a SSD I use, so that definitely plays a role, but the MBA running Windows behaves just like any other laptop. And the Bootcamp windows driver support is better than anything I've seen before. It was actually quite freaky.

Some of the macbooks/macbook pros have had little driver bugs under Windows. I haven't tried it on the Air, so I can't comment on that machine. Overall Bootcamp is smooth. I notice slightly different fan behavior even though the cpu use when idle is no higher (sometimes lower than OSX). I tend to disable Aero in Windows. You can just choose a non Aero desktop. It gives slightly better battery life and if you're running with integrated graphics like on an Air, it eases things on your gpu slightly.

2IS
Apr 1, 2012, 03:01 PM
If you would read the reviews of the zenbook, you'd know that it's still far away from the quality of a macbook air.

I have, and it's not.

buddybd
Apr 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
Ummmm, why not?

I did not mean that the 'Windows' is different. I'm in the same boat as you, long time Windows user (still use it for my desktop). The MBA was my first ever Mac as well and yes the SSD makes a huge difference.

Its just that if you are going to use Windows all the time then why bother bootcamping, wastage of, already limited, storage space, some keys are different and you have to select Windows everytime you boot.

Why go through all that, UBs have caught up in build quality and pricing so other than the OS there's very little difference between them now.

2IS
Apr 1, 2012, 03:45 PM
I did not mean that the 'Windows' is different. I'm in the same boat as you, long time Windows user (still use it for my desktop). The MBA was my first ever Mac as well and yes the SSD makes a huge difference.

Its just that if you are going to use Windows all the time then why bother bootcamping, wastage of, already limited, storage space, some keys are different and you have to select Windows everytime you boot.

Why go through all that, UBs have caught up in build quality and pricing so other than the OS there's very little difference between them now.

You can actually choose windows as the default OS. But I agree with the rest of what you're saying.

ZBoater
Apr 1, 2012, 04:09 PM

Because on the MBA I can run both OSes fine, the UBs only Windows. :D

I find Parallels very stable and well performing. I run the MS Office suite, Quicken, Visio, and Project (all Windows versions) and they seem to run like native apps in OS X. No lag, no slowdowns. I even have two XP VMs and a Ububtu VM I can fire up.

Aside from the Windows key (which I never warmed up to anyway) I find the rest of the keys the same.

I'm running Windows now because I have several apps where I have no choice. But every chance I get I'll move closer and closer to Mac OS until I can do without Windows. It may never happen, but I'm willing to give up 20-30GB of disk space to keep a bootcamp partition handy just in case. Otherwise I'll use a Mac app.

mac26
Apr 2, 2012, 05:32 PM
So OP whatcha gonna do? Dell, Asus, Samsung, Apple, Lenovo, Acer?

ET iPhone Home
Apr 2, 2012, 05:39 PM
Sony is also coming out with an Ultrabook this April. It will resemble their flagship Vaio Z Series from what I understand. It won't have the external PMD (Graphics and Optical Drive).

zzLZHzz
Apr 11, 2012, 08:20 AM
Nope, no lag for me. Did you have an SSD? I think that probably makes a significant difference, especially since I only gave it access to two cores and 2GB of RAM. A Sandy Bridge CPU probably helps a lot too, but I'd still say the SSD is key.

EDIT- Also, I haven't had much success with Parallels. I didn't like it the one time I tried it, so that could be the culprit too.

nope, i didn't have a SSD.

the different between core 2 duo and sandy bridge is actually quite large.

kooskoos1814
Apr 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
MBA under Windows is definitely worth the bigger price. The Bootcamp drivers are really flawless and I'm always astonished that it runs better than most Windows laptops I've tried.

The only Windows laptop I could buy would be Leonovo's (probably the X220, because of the bigger battery life with the 9-cell).
I tried the UX-21 but it doesn't feel much better than a MBA and I accept to pay a bit more for OS X. If you really want only Windows, it could be a nice alternative though...

Kendo
Apr 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
MBA under Windows is definitely worth the bigger price. The Bootcamp drivers are really flawless and I'm always astonished that it runs better than most Windows laptops I've tried.

I'm pretty sure that is a placebo effect considering the components in the MBA are the same as Windows laptops (Intel Core processor, Intel HD 3000, RAM, etc).

yetieater
Apr 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
I think the Dell XPS 13 is the perfect MacBook Air clone.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1331418

I believe this to be true, especially after seeing the unit in person today. It's lightweight, looks good, and incorporates some better materials than those used in the MacBook Air.

alphaod
Apr 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
I prefer Thinkpads, especially the X220. It's not really an ultrabook per se, but it's lightweight, fast, and very durable. I have the X201 tablet.

They are also making the X1, which is a good choice.

2IS
Apr 12, 2012, 09:26 PM
Sony is also coming out with an Ultrabook this April. It will resemble their flagship Vaio Z Series from what I understand. It won't have the external PMD (Graphics and Optical Drive).

If it resembles their Z series I won't even bother looking at it. Sony seriously took a step back with their current Z series. Whereas their previous Z's were always head and shoulders above the competition, the current model is not, other than the asking price. Crappy ergonomics with the kebaord titlting depending on position of the screen, flimsy construction, and tiny crappy track pad. ASUS and Apple are IMO in a class of their own in the ultrabook market.

Nebrie
Apr 13, 2012, 12:18 AM
Paul Thurrott went on this same journey last year and wound up choosing a MacBook Air to run Windows. That said the only laptops with competitive build quality would be the Thinkpads.

ixodes
Apr 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
The MBA runs Windows better than most other laptops out there.
It does run it well, the only issue is how hot it runs windows on a continual basis. Native Windows ultrabooks run so much cooler & quieter.

The 300 series Lenovo ultrabooks are exceptionally nice. Work just issued one to me a few days ago. I'm really impressed.

I still prefer the styling & OS X of my 13" MBA, but Lenovo's a great second choice.

kooskoos1814
Apr 13, 2012, 03:13 AM
It does run it well, the only issue is how hot it runs windows on a continual basis. Native Windows ultrabooks run so much cooler & quieter.
Here we are, main problem with Bootcamp : the drivers are less optimized than the ultra books ones : you have less battery life and more heat...

One more vote for the Thinkpads !

Bob Coxner
Apr 13, 2012, 11:01 AM
I use bootcamp with a 2011 MBA. It runs Win 7 Pro well but I was shocked at how much hotter it ran under Win compared to Lion. As noted above, battery life is also poor with bootcamp.

Coeuspolus
Apr 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
As others have mentioned, the newest Samsung series 9 is excellent. People are getting over 7 hrs of battery life out of it (much longer than the Air) and it's quite powerful too--by the sound of it your mother will not be a power-user but consider that users have successfully put a whopping 16 GBs of RAM on it.

Check out this review of the gorgeous 15-inch:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/09/15-inch-samsung-series-9-review-2012/

Gator Bob
Apr 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
does it not lag?

Zero lag on my 2011 maxed out 13" MacBook Air with Bootcamp and Windows Home premium. I have Creative Suite 5.5 and Lightroom 4 in Bootcamp. They run fast.

----------

does it not lag?

Zero lag on my 2011 maxed out 13" MacBook Air with a Bootcamp partition and Windows Home premium. I use Creative Suite 5.5 and Lightroom 4 in Bootcamp and they are fast. I am a lifetime Windows expert (retired IBM exec, age 83) who switched to Apple last December. I do not expect to go back to Windows PCs.

ET iPhone Home
Apr 13, 2012, 06:12 PM
If it resembles their Z series I won't even bother looking at it. Sony seriously took a step back with their current Z series. Whereas their previous Z's were always head and shoulders above the competition, the current model is not, other than the asking price. Crappy ergonomics with the kebaord titlting depending on position of the screen, flimsy construction, and tiny crappy track pad. ASUS and Apple are IMO in a class of their own in the ultrabook market.

Agree which is why I didn't purchase the Z2. I opted for a MBA instead. I think Sony realizes this now. They are doing so poorly with their notebooks. They don't hold together. In the news, it was reported report, that Sony will be revamping their business plan, so I expect, they will come back strong with well built and cutting edge designs.

I like having both a pc and mac. But for now, my MBA is my main computer.