PDA

View Full Version : Dell XPS MBA clone...

maxxaddict
Mar 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.dell.com/html/global/xps13/xps-13-ultrabook.html?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs

Anyone else see the similarities, even down to the battery status indicator?

Would Apple's legal team get involved?

3dflyboy1
Mar 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
Let's see...CF underside, 13" screen with smaller footprint, battery indicator that MBAs do NOT have. That's not even close to being a clone.

No, Apple's legal team will not get involved.

entatlrg
Mar 29, 2012, 09:41 PM

Yep, that would be a MacBook Air knock off.

Funny thing is it took these company's years to catch up with the knock offs and they're still a joke.

Dell sucks, wouldn't take another one of their notebooks if it was free .... actually I would, but I'd sell it and buy more Apple stuff :D

blueroom
Mar 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
Apples real beauty goes deeper its aluminum shell.

blipmusic
Mar 30, 2012, 02:35 AM
The (lack of) bezel isn't half bad, though.

Wouldn't mind an extra mm or two of thickness on the lid of the MBA if that's the gain. Would make a smaller footprint possible as well, no?

KohPhiPhi
Mar 30, 2012, 04:07 AM
The lack of bezel is awesome, it's something the MBA needs. Yes, I would be willing to gain 2mm of thickness in order to reduce the footprint.

However, the 1366x768 resolution is not. Why would they gimp such a nice ultrabook with such a low resolution?

By the way, there's quite a difference in size between the XPS 13 and the MBA 13: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/03/21/dell-xps-13-ultrabook-vs-macbook-air/ . In fact, the XPS 13 is closer the MBA 11's size.

Xikum
Mar 30, 2012, 04:58 AM
Why must we sit here and laugh Apple's main competitors, just because there isnt a shiny Apple badge on the laptop?

The ultra book range is finally meaningful competition to the MacBook Air. Competition is NEVER a bad thing for the consumer (us). If ultra books failed, Apple would be able to sit back and let the money roll in. With competition (such as the Dell XPS13) Apple need to innovate and bring out their best laptops, year after year.

For the XPS 13 specifically, there are a few things that we haven't seen on Apple laptops; carbon fibre body, near-bezelless, etc. Everything else on it looks decent, and overall its definitely a laptop I wouldn't mind owning. Would I pick it over a MacBook Air right now? Probably not, but that doesn't mean that further generations of it wont catch up (or perhaps overtake) the Air. This is when competition starts to benefit us.

There are far too many iSheep on this forum at times.

Fleet would mac
Mar 30, 2012, 05:53 AM
There's a good comparison between the MacBook Air (13 inch) and the Dell XPS 13 from MobileTechReview (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnT_bL7D8RI&list=UUW6J17hZ_Vgr6cQgd_kHt5A&index=11&feature=plcp)). I must admit that I'm a real fan of Lisa Gade's reviews, partially because she's been around in this business long enough to not be taken in by marketing hype, as well as being a pleasure to listen to. In the case of this comparison, there wasn't an obvious overall winner. However, we mustn't forget that we're comparing the latest and greatest from Dell with an Apple counterpart that's been on the market for the best part of a year, so as soon as Apple releases the new MacBook Air range, I would expect them to pull away from the Dell again.

As Xikum says, competition is not a bad thing...

gbredneck
Mar 30, 2012, 06:22 AM
The edge to edge screen is a winner for me, well it would be if it was higher resolution, 720p just doesnt cut it for me.

I love virtually no bezel. I do find the MBA bezel quite large at times.

bogatyr
Mar 30, 2012, 06:47 AM
Looked like it had a bezel to me, just more of a MBP style bezel. Black on the edge and the plastic or glass went over it.

MonkeySee....
Mar 30, 2012, 06:54 AM
Looked like it had a bezel to me, just more of a MBP style bezel. Black on the edge and the plastic or glass went over it.

Its edge to edge like the iMac/iPad etc. The picture wont go right to edge.

Don't think apple will be too concerned as its still Dell. Horrid machines

dpcontardi
Mar 30, 2012, 07:20 AM
Never mind the laptop - what a horrendous webpage design!

Dread to think how many accessibilty guidelines have been thrown out of the window in order to look 'cool' and 'dynamic'

MonkeySee....
Mar 30, 2012, 07:23 AM

Dread to think how many accessibilty guidelines have been thrown out of the window in order to look 'cool' and 'dynamic'

haha. I was thinking that when I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled......

warfed
Mar 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
Some laptops are a clear copy of the Air *cough*Asus*cough* but this isn't. There are so many different things about it that it doesn't even look close to me. Saying that's a copy of an Air is just as ridiculous as when people say the Air is a copy of an old Vaio just because it's tapered and thin.

3dflyboy1
Mar 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
some laptops are a clear copy of the air *cough*asus*cough* but this isn't. There are so many different things about it that it doesn't even look close to me. Saying that's a copy of an air is just as ridiculous as when people say the air is a copy of an old vaio just because it's tapered and thin.

This^^^ :D

Dell sucks, wouldn't take another one of their notebooks if it was free .... actually I would, but I'd sell it and buy more Apple stuff :D

Harsh!! :D C'mon, Dell makes alienware. ;)

tom vilsack
Mar 31, 2012, 01:33 AM
What is apple gonna sue dell over? a better looking dell design?

These new ultrabooks are great...they will push apple into making there laptops so much better= we all win!

SDAVE
Mar 31, 2012, 01:44 AM
Dell is still ugly. Just their logo and model name is ugly.

urkel
Mar 31, 2012, 03:33 AM

People looking for ways to sue are disgusting.

When a company knocks off key aspects of a design then I think the media has a responsibility to tear them up on it. But this idea that companies should sue because a tablet has a screen on it or a notebook is too tapered only works against technology. Tablets are going to look similar, Notebooks are going to overlap in design concepts. Someone will get their idea ripped off. But in the end the winner is the one with the better overall product so quit worrying about who "invented" the rectangle and just buy the best product available.

blipmusic
Mar 31, 2012, 11:03 AM

Oh absolutely, but it looks like it's half that of the current MBA 11", judging from the video. It'd be fantastic to have that on the 11" (aka 'new 13"' :D). I want the 11" but the size of the current bezel honestly irks me, irrational or not. Yes, the lid is superslim but if adding 2-3 mm would get me a 13" with the 11" footprint I'd pick that over slimmer 11" every time.

All in all the Dell looks quite nice. No idea what it'd be like in a user scenario on the whole, though (you'd have well integrated multitouch trackpad/gestures on the MBA etc). Personally, I'd also rather have an SSD.

Buckeyestar
Mar 31, 2012, 12:18 PM

I was thinking that it looks an awful lot like a page from Apple's store.

67bmer
Apr 1, 2012, 08:03 PM
It definitely looks cool in the pictures. Carbon fiber is cool!

We use dells at work running XP and they are excellent computers. I have way more issues with the 2011 MBP/OSX than the 4 year old dell/XP workstation...

Technically behind the scenes, OSX may be vastly superior, but to the user OSX makes you realize how maligned Microsoft is. Although I have NOT used anything subsequent to XP and just had to get that in. I do find many Apple people completely irrational on the subject, including many people I work with.

I have been waiting for the 2012 MBA but will definitely check out the XPS before I purchase.

jmgregory1
Apr 2, 2012, 07:39 AM
Sure, they use a cool material like carbon fiber, but the seam between the cf and aluminum top makes it look just like all the other craptop pc's out there. It doesn't seem like this is a laptop that is following Intel's guidelines for an ultra book, not that I care one way or the other.

Not a huge fan of dell - the laptops and dt's I've had from them were throw away junk, none lasting more than 12 months before needing to be replaced due to problems.

whitebook
Apr 2, 2012, 10:19 AM
Looks like a great little machine, and no they won't be having Apple's legal team on their tails. Just because they use aluminum, have similar ports and nearly the same thickness. I like the idea of the CF keeping the underside of it cooler and also making it lighter, maybe they should have kept the bottom black instead of the typical CF look. Plus getting 8 hours out of a machine that is the same size as the 11" Air is impressive. My Air only gets 5 hours at very best. Glad to see this coming out as it will provide Apple with much needed competition.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 2, 2012, 10:31 AM
Outside of it being a thin laptop I have a hard time seeing how it is a MBA clone.

Now, those new Lenovos......

njean777
Apr 2, 2012, 11:03 AM
To be honest that is the best looking pc ultra book I have seen, I have to give it to dell this time. Usually they make ugly looking computers except for the XPS line, but this one looks really nice.

billp1
Apr 2, 2012, 01:28 PM
And what makes the Dell so great is that you get to use the Windows Operating system...

It's not about the looks.

dynamos
Apr 2, 2012, 03:21 PM
And what makes the Dell so great is that you get to use the Windows Operating system...

It's not about the looks.

I use a 15 inch MacBook Pro. Tried the Dell XPS. Wanted to try the ultra book form factor. Was impressed with the design and build quality. Did not care for the screen quality nor the trackpad. Also not a fan of Windows 7.

Returned it. Dell service on the return was excellent.

Eddie Bombay
Apr 2, 2012, 03:30 PM
Looks good, about time Dell.

roofz
Apr 2, 2012, 04:52 PM
Looks better than the MBA imo

cottington
Apr 2, 2012, 05:26 PM
there's a good comparison between the macbook air (13 inch) and the dell xps 13 from mobiletechreview (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnt_bl7d8ri&list=uuw6j17hz_vgr6cqgd_kht5a&index=11&feature=plcp)). I must admit that i'm a real fan of lisa gade's reviews, partially because she's been around in this business long enough to not be taken in by marketing hype, as well as being a pleasure to listen to.

+1

bp1000
Apr 3, 2012, 04:14 AM
What a horrible flash web site dell have for that laptop

MonkeySee....
Apr 3, 2012, 04:32 AM
Looks better than the MBA imo

Good job you don't work for Apple then :p

jmgregory1
Apr 3, 2012, 06:55 AM
It's funny how the pc manufacturers need Intel to create a spec for building a decent laptop which was really just a knockoff of the mba. So Intel copies Apple and HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc copy Intel. Boy, that is an excellent business model and one that foretells of great things to come for the pc industry - as long as everyone can copy Apple, that is.