Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sl33pyriceboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
im in the process of doing research for a SSD upgrade in my late 2008 macbook pro (first gen unibody).

current specs:
2.53ghz core2duo
9400m + 9500gt 512mb
8gb ram
2x 320gb HD in RAID 0 (stock western digital) (i have removed optical drive with a harddrive caddy)

dilemma:
i only want/need about 120gb of harddisk space. i can get one 120gb SSD and call it a day, but i have the capability of running two HDD in my macbookpro, so why not get two 60GB SSD and make them into RAID 0

i am currently looking at some 60gb SATAIII such as:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16820227725
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16820233223
(they are/were around $60 each after mail in rebate)
*i also choose these HDD because they were on sale.

questions:
1. will i run into any problems with these with a RAID 0 SSD setup? (my research has brought to my attention that the new sandforce may cause problems in our macbooks)

2. is running two SSD over kill? i want to maximize the performance of my harddrive's SATA 3GB/s capability.

3. any other hard drives you guys/gals recommend? (or even NOT recommending RAID0)

any insights, comments, critiques, or advise is highly appreciated. i just want to breath life into my macbook pro.

James :apple:

PS- i would like to stick to a newer SSD (like a SATA 6Gb/s for future upgrades if i decide to get a newer MBP or build a PC....however, if the new sandforce creates too much problems, i have no problems getting a SATA 3Gb/s SSD)

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would vote against raid 0 for one reason, you now have more possible points of failure.

My suggestion would be go for the correct size SSD (120GB according to your post) and maybe leave one of the 320 GB drives in for extra disk storage.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The RAID 0 would be software RAID. Although your storage would be quicker. CPU performance would be hindered as the CPU would need to do all RAID processing. Also the SATA controller may not have enough throughput to handle both ports at 300MB/s.

For example my desktop has a newer controller that is designed for RAID 0/1/5/10. It has six SATA II ports but has a max total throughput of 600 to 800 MB/s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.