Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adddictedtomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz with two graphics cards (AGP GeForce2 MX and a PCI card, not sure which) as you can see on this video.

http://youtu.be/F0zUEFz4i4Q

I want to add a third PCI Card for a third screen (for a special project I have in mind). Before I start looking around to purchase on eBay, I would like to know if it is possible for the system to support and recognize a third Graphics card and also recognize the drivers for it. I guess if it's workable, it should be another PCI card. Would it work on Mac OS X 10.4 or Mac OS X 10.5? How about Mac OS 9?

Has anyone done this? Any recomendations will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
It would be possible to have as many as 10 if you wanted. A Quicksilver has 1x AGP and 4x PCI slots so you simply would need a dual monitor AGP card and 4x dual monitor PCI video cards.

The best way to get 3 IMO is a Radeon 9800 in the AGP slot to power your 2 most important screens then just get a Geforce 5200 PCI and flash it with a Mac ROM. That way you get Core Image and Quartz Extreme on all 3.

A flashed Geforce 5200 is the only way that I know of to get Core GPU technologies in OS X to run on PCI video.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
It would be possible to have as many as 10 if you wanted. A Quicksilver has 1x AGP and 4x PCI slots so you simply would need a dual monitor AGP card and 4x dual monitor PCI video cards.

The best way to get 3 IMO is a Radeon 9800 in the AGP slot to power your 2 most important screens then just get a Geforce 5200 PCI and flash it with a Mac ROM. That way you get Core Image and Quartz Extreme on all 3.

A flashed Geforce 5200 is the only way that I know of to get Core GPU technologies in OS X to run on PCI video.

Back in 2007/2008 I was running a pair of FX5200s (one PCI and one AGP) in my Quicksilver to great effect, driving 4 1280x1024 monitors. The only way I could really tell which ones were PCI was when running Flash videos. It's a configuration I can thoroughly recommend from first hand experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.