Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
After a few threads I started regarding a Powerbook for College in the fall, I'm leaning towards a new 12" Powerbook. Thanks for the help, but my mind isn't totally made up yet...

I always thought the Superdrive option wasn't worth it. But, since I'm a student, I noticed that for $100 more, I can get the model with Superdrive, and a 80GB HD. I probably would use the added HD space. My 30GB HD is waay too small, and I don't want to make that mistake again... And, $100 isn't a bad deal either for adding DVD burning, is it? If I went with say an external Lacie drive, it's still going to cost around $100 for a DVD burner. Just trying to decide if there's a better way to spend $108 (w/tax). Thanks

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
get the superdrive, its so useful for backing up files, much better than using CD-R's. Plus, remember that the 60GB hard drive on the combo machine, after OSX and some apps are on it (and that the actual useable amount will be smaller than stated), will prob only leave you with 45-50Gigs for files.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
student_trap said:
get the superdrive, its so useful for backing up files...
Backups are very important. I owned a 12in Rev C PowerBook with a ComboDrive. I never would needed a SuperDrive for *anything*(couldn't justify the cost). But if I didn't have my external HD, I would have *sorely* needed the SuperDrive for backing up files. I strongly reccomend a backup solution, but I (would have) never needed the SuperDrive for anything other than that.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, when I bought my iBook I went with the combo drive and not the SD for reasons if the drive goes then my iBook will still be with me and I will not have to take the whole thing in for repair. Also being a student where will you backup your files? surely not in class but at home or the dorm since the SD/Combo drive is somewhat loud. Well see my sig. for what I did, I got the LaCie for $109 and that was the total shipped, had it in 2-3 days and I've never looked back. Either way it is a great way to backup your files or whatever else you may do down the road and enjoy :p

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Yes, it's definitely the best value of the bunch IMO. For the extra $100 you get the SD and the extra disk space. It's also a $200 discount off of list instead of just $100 on the combo model.

oriol

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2005
right behind ya!
i had the same problem as you, but im glad i did buy my PB with the superdrive, the extra HDD. i know that you will regret if you want to burn a DVD and you can't. get it you won't regret believe me is only $100:D

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I was in the same situation as you are 1 year ago: On my way to college and needing a computer to take with me. Should I go the 12" or the 15" inch; SuperDrive or Combo Drive. In the end I didn't have the money to buy the 15" PB I wanted (1.5Ghz, upgraded ram and hard drive, 128mb VRam) so I got the 12" PB instead. I still had to decided if I wanted the SuperDrive or Combo Drive. Remember a year ago the difference between the two models was $200 dollars and both had a slow 60 GB, 4200 RPM hard drive. In the end I purchased the Combo Drive model, but upgraded the hard drive to the faster 80 GB, 5400 RPM. My reasoning is the Superdrive was only 4x burning speed. For $200 I could buy a 16x external burner. I figured I wouldn't need to burn DVDs while I was away from my desk anyway.

Remember, weigh the options and see if you will always need them or can you buy an external device later on. In my case, I still haven't purchased a DVD burner, but will one day. Also, I planned on buying an external monitor for my PB, but haven't gotten around to that either (1 year later). You can see my setup in my sig.

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
~$100 will get you an internal plextor dual layer burner that (using patchburn) can be used with ilife apps. (and its plextor.)

IIRC, the superdrives in portables are not yet DL capable.

This all assumes you have a desktop mac at home of course, if not, put that $100 aside and save up for one!

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
student_trap said:
get the superdrive, its so useful for backing up files, much better than using CD-R's. Plus, remember that the 60GB hard drive on the combo machine, after OSX and some apps are on it (and that the actual useable amount will be smaller than stated), will prob only leave you with 45-50Gigs for files.

You're kinda right, seen as the actual size is a percentage and will take off a relative amount on the 80gig. However, that doesn't matter, you'll still be left with about 76GB of space, which is great.

The Superdrive is worth it, I use it to back things up and its much better than CD. Also, think about the future and perhaps getting a DV Cam, etc... you'll want the fully OS X supported internal Superdrive then.

$100 for 20gig more, and a dvd burner... I know I would. Plus.. you are absolutely right, resale value.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It might not be worth it if you have a desktop computer as well. I find I transfer files from my laptop to my powermac to do backups. Over a 10/100 ethernet, the desktop treats the PB harddrive like an ordinary drive.

However, a Superdrive does increase your resale value, but do you plan on selling your laptop in the next year or so?

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Lacero said:
It might not be worth it if you have a desktop computer as well. I find I transfer files from my laptop to my powermac to do backups. Over a 10/100 ethernet, the desktop treats the PB harddrive like an ordinary drive.

No I don't. My Powerbook will be my only computer for hopefully 4 years of College.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I recently had to make the same decision and when it came down to it, I ordered the Superdrive model (hopefully will have it soon!).

My reasoning was:

- An external burner would be a hassle to carry around
- The extra 20GB with the model is a HUGE factor when you consider the size of OSX and all the additional apps (plus I went 100GB)
- 4.7GB of back-ups is a large amount. So carry one disc around with me is hardly going to be a hassle.

My motto is always buy just more than what you need. You'll quickly find you need it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.