PDA

View Full Version : XCode Question

lpeedin
Mar 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
I am slowing learning to navigate XCode - hope this is the correct place to ask a question about it.

In System Preferences/General/Number of Recent Items is set to 10; but XCode continually gives me an empty list in Open Recent.

I used a lot of different editors/IDEs in my 25+ years of programming, but XCode is probably going to be the death of me. :p

thundersteele
Mar 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
For Xcode, a "recent item" is an xcode project, not a single file of source code. If you use Xcode to edit other (non project) code files, these files don't show up as recent items.

There is one more thing, what Xcode calls a workspace, which itself can be a "recent item" I think. It's a bit confusing to me also!

lpeedin
Mar 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
For Xcode, a "recent item" is an xcode project, not a single file of source code. If you use Xcode to edit other (non project) code files, these files don't show up as recent items.

There is one more thing, what Xcode calls a workspace, which itself can be a "recent item" I think. It's a bit confusing to me also!

Thanks, while not what I really wanted to hear ;) at least I know what direction to take now.

beg_ne
Mar 30, 2012, 10:16 PM
Xcode should show your recent projects in accordance with the settings in System Preferences. So it seems to be an issue that affects some people.

This blog might have the answer you're looking for to fix the empty list:

http://blog.stuart.shelton.me/archives/454

lpeedin
Mar 31, 2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks. I was expecting it to show recent "file", but it appears to just show "projects"; however, I did determine that I can see the recent files from inside the project.