PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tried Tapose - the Courier wannabe?

kdarling
Mar 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
Like many, I've waited months for Apple to finally approve Tapose for the iPad.

It finally got to the App Store, and I got it, but haven't had much time to play with it / figure it out. (Either I'm dumb or it's a bit clumsy to use - not sure yet - grin.) It's also not super smooth on my original iPad.

More info on the Tapose (http://tapose.com/) website.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a big thread on this.

nick7138
Mar 30, 2012, 08:15 PM
Like many, I've waited months for Apple to finally approve Tapose for the iPad.

It finally got to the App Store, and I got it, but haven't had much time to play with it / figure it out. (Either I'm dumb or it's a bit clumsy to use - not sure yet - grin.) It's also not super smooth on my original iPad.

More info on the Tapose (http://tapose.com/) website.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a big thread on this.

I have been a backer since the very beginning and I am a current beta tester, so I've had a few months to use it. While it has grown exponentially since the first beta in August, it still suffers from multiple issues. Some of the animations are clunky, certain features are missing, and it can be hard to use at some points. It really helps to read the included tutorial. Luckily, most of these major bugs have been resolved in a beta version released a few days after app store submission, so you should expect to see it hitting the App Store soon. All of the other issues will likely be ironed out in the next couple of months. Despite these issues, it's still a fantastic concept and it can be something much greater once several of these issues are fixed.

urkel
Mar 30, 2012, 08:22 PM
I thought "Paper" was what came from the Courier team.

Regardless, both apps are absolutely stunning and it's a shame MS chose to go Win8 Tablet over Courier. I'm not saying they made the "wrong" decision because in the end the courier is more a niche product than Win8. BUT, for those who could appreciate what the courier brought to the table then it's an amazing and unique concept. And to see how Tapose and Paper look on the iPad then i'm sad that it died before it even got started.

doboy
Mar 30, 2012, 08:29 PM
The demo video seemed interesting, but too many negatives in the comment so decided to wait until things ironed out.

clyde2801
Mar 31, 2012, 05:23 AM
It's concept of a split screen, being able to look at something on one side, and take notes on the other, looks like it would rectify the only niggle I still have about the iPad as a mobile work device.

But the macworld review scared me off with its klunky implementation. So Nick7138, you're saying a lot of these have already been implemented? Will the new betas take full use of the new iPad's hardware?

Speaking of hardware, I'd expect this to run dog slow on the original iPad's single core processor and paltry 256 mb of ram.

eastmanweb
Mar 31, 2012, 06:18 AM
It's concept of a split screen, being able to look at something on one side, and take notes on the other, looks like it would rectify the only niggle I still have about the iPad as a mobile work device.

I found a split screen app for the iPad in the App Store called "Side by Side". I tried the free version and it works as advertised. You can have a website in one window and take notes in the other. You can also view certain types of dropbox files in a window while taking notes in another window; or have two websites side by side. Copy & Paste works between the windows too.

Note that the free version has an ad at the bottom.
App Store link:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/side-by-side-formerly-4-desktops/id386528623?mt=8

zarusoba
Mar 31, 2012, 07:42 AM
Was Courier ever anything more than a concept video?

Regardless, both apps are absolutely stunning and it's a shame MS chose to go Win8 Tablet over Courier. I'm not saying they made the "wrong" decision because in the end the courier is more a niche product than Win8. BUT, for those who could appreciate what the courier brought to the table then it's an amazing and unique concept. And to see how Tapose and Paper look on the iPad then i'm sad that it died before it even got started.

kdarling
Mar 31, 2012, 09:57 AM

Yep, "Paper" came from some of the members of the cool R&D group Pioneer Studios which J. Allard (former chief of user experiences at Microsoft) ran until Gates killed the Courier project, after which he left and they were disbanded, IIRC.

"Tapose" was done by outsiders, but partially funded and advised by Allard.

Was Courier ever anything more than a concept video?

Yes. The Courier and related PPT presentations were prettied up versions of the well known Codex dual screen booklet, OneNote, Thumbtack and Inkseine R&D projects. Supposedly it could've been ready to go before the iPad came out, athough that might be a bit optimistic.

You can even download some of the apps like Inkseine from the MS Research site, to use on a MS tablet.

Codex and Inkseine - the roots of the Courier (http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/23/codex-and-inkseine-the-roots-of-microsofts-courier/)

The Courier software puzzle pieces (http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2009/10/01/the-microsoft-courier-puzzle/)

Microsoft Research - the Codex project - PDF (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/kenh/all-published-papers/codex-chi-2009.pdf)

Codex used two UMPC tablets that talked to each other:

ArztMac
Mar 31, 2012, 11:29 AM
I have been a backer since the very beginning and I am a current beta tester, so I've had a few months to use it. While it has grown exponentially since the first beta in August, it still suffers from multiple issues. Some of the animations are clunky, certain features are missing, and it can be hard to use at some points. It really helps to read the included tutorial. Luckily, most of these major bugs have been resolved in a beta version released a few days after app store submission, so you should expect to see it hitting the App Store soon. All of the other issues will likely be ironed out in the next couple of months. Despite these issues, it's still a fantastic concept and it can be something much greater once several of these issues are fixed.

Just a question for you, I assume you backed the project through Kickstarter: Doesn't it bother you that for your $10 pledge you only received a copy of the app that sells for less than $3 in the AppStore?

No offense, I am thinking of backing a couple of projects myself, but I'd feel rather disenchanted putting up cash beforehand and not really being rewarded for my trust. Backers take on the risk and actually make this project possible, they should be treated especially well.

Shouldn't there be something special in place for investors instead of just supplying the app 3x as expensive and receiving it later through a gift card than anyone who just buys it off the Store?

kdarling
Apr 2, 2012, 10:01 AM
Just a question for you, I assume you backed the project through Kickstarter: Doesn't it bother you that for your $10 pledge you only received a copy of the app that sells for less than $3 in the AppStore?

I can't speak for him, but I think a lot of us feel that it's worth it to make the app available.

In other words, it's well worth the $10 to get the project funded. Otherwise there might not be anything to buy at all.

Plus it's easily a $10 app if it works right.

Finally, many of us like to support projects as a bit of good karma. I learned early on from my parents to help out beginning artists, and it's amazing how many went on to do well and give back to us later on in the form of special deals.

Moreover, when I was a young programmer, I had a few patrons who helped me with monitors, hard drives and such, so that I could do better stuff for others. Now that I'm well off, I like to pass on that same kind of help.

You reap what you sow, that kind of thing :)

joegleur
Apr 3, 2012, 03:39 AM
I can't speak for him, but I think a lot of us feel that it's worth it to make the app available.

In other words, it's well worth the $10 to get the project funded. Otherwise there might not be anything to buy at all.

Plus it's easily a $10 app if it works right.

Finally, many of us like to support projects as a bit of good karma. I learned early on from my parents to help out beginning artists, and it's amazing how many went on to do well and give back to us later on in the form of special deals.

Moreover, when I was a young programmer, I had a few patrons who helped me with monitors, hard drives and such, so that I could do better stuff for others. Now that I'm well off, I like to pass on that same kind of help.

You reap what you sow, that kind of thing :)

there should be more people like you on this planet :)

if memory serves me right, this app looks much better in the early demo stages. the UI now looks sort of like a.. quickly put together subpar app.

kkathman
Apr 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
This is a terribly frustrating app, I think because I really want it to work and it doesn't.

First, from a fresh start on my iPad 3, I opened the app, and it crashed immediately upon opening a notebook. This happened twice. There were no other apps open on the ipad and I have a 64GB device (no 4G).

Once opened, I tried using my Adonit JOT pen and found it to be so very laggy that it was virtually unusable. It was just slightly better with my Boxwave stylus.

I then opened the browser on the left panel and went to CNN, found a picture and was able to move that to the notebook (i.e. as in a research project). However, I was unable under any circumstances to copy text like just about any OTHER app can do (i.e. Notes Plus, Notability, Noteshelf, Note Take HD, etc.) I clicked on the scissors icon in the notebook accidentally, and found there it NO way to undo that operation. Once you click you MUST select a region on the notebook. VERY annoying.

Right now, I think that the designers should perhaps look at the way Notes Plus has done their presentation and integration. It's intuitive (something Tapose is not!!), extremely functional (includes handwriting conversion for $2), and has a similar dual pane approach.

As reported, the calendar function, neatly demoed in the screencast, doesn't exist because of a conflict with Apple, apparently. There's nothing new here, and what should work, doesn't.

This probably should have waited to be released when it was much more polished and had gone through user-acceptability testing.