Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Do we still need to turn some of system locations (Time Zone, trafic, etc..) to safe some battery under iOS 5.1?

lecturenotes

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
I found that our iPhone 3gs has really suffered a decrease in battery life with ios 5.1, but we're not sure if that's because of iMessage. Our iPhone 4s seems ok though

KRDHarris

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
iPad 2 battery management made much worse by iOS 5.1

There appears to have been a battery management problem introduced in iOS 5.1. My iPad 2's previously excellent battery management quite suddenly deteriorated after installing iOS 5.1, and I found two things:

(1) The contents of iOS 5.1 include "Addresses bugs affecting battery life”.

(2) Other people reported the same problem after installing iOS 5.1. Try googling on "ipad slow battery charging" and you will find several threads, such as at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3789887?start=0&tstart=0.

I do not understand how Apple could have made changes to battery management and not discovered in their testing that they had made matters worse, at least for iPad2s, and probably several other device types too. :(

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Do we still need to turn some of system locations (Time Zone, trafic, etc..) to safe some battery under iOS 5.1?

i've given up on attempting to have any type of decent battery life. changing location on/off, screen brightness, etc., never made huge improvements. i get ~5 hours out of each cycle

the big one i will never understand is how i get the same outcome whether location is on or off!? oh well it is what it is

aoifeee

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
I don't, my 4s battery is so shocking I always have to charge it in the middle of the day. Can't believe apple actually released something with such bad battery problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.