PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good firewall, any firewall? For the iPad?

Thomas Davie
Mar 30, 2012, 08:26 PM
Simple; I would like to be able to monitor what my apps are attempting to send/receive and allow/deny on a selective basis. Like Little Snitch?

thanks for any info.

Tom

drir1990
Mar 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
I don't think so unless you jailbreak. Are you wanting to do this in order to save on data usage?

Thomas Davie
Mar 31, 2012, 11:51 AM
No, not trying to save on data; I just want the ability to control what data goes out and comes in. For example; I've downloaded a freeware app....I. Do not want it communicating without permission.

Thanks for the reply

Tom

LostLogik
Mar 31, 2012, 01:31 PM
No, not trying to save on data; I just want the ability to control what data goes out and comes in. For example; I've downloaded a freeware app....I. Do not want it communicating without permission.

Thanks for the reply

Tom
Stick your iPad in airplane mode when running the app.

Thomas Davie
Mar 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
Stick your iPad in airplane mode when running the app.

Won't work. I want to be able to have connectivity, but defined connectivity. I guess I want an IOS version of Little Snitch. I also want to be able to allow some connections through, but deny others (multilevel per-existing rules that could be active simultaneously).

Tom

hitekalex
Mar 31, 2012, 09:18 PM
Get Netstat app, it will show you the open sockets in real time..

Although, I think it only works with system apps, don't think it's able to view the activity of 3rd party apps. That's a limitation of iOS, you'd need to jailbreak to monitor all apps on the device.