PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on OS 9; Please help

adddictedtomac
Mar 31, 2012, 12:53 AM
I have one HD on my Quicksiver 733MHz.

This HD has one partition and two operating systems: Mac OS X 10.4 and OS 9.2

Now every time I boot up on Mac OS 9.2 it seems that the finder freezes and I can't get anything to work. The mouse pointer moves but I can't click on anything!

When I reboot holding the alt key, it shows me the HD on Mac OS 9 and that's it.

Tried startup with P+R+ alt+cmd, still same!

How can I go back to Mac OS X 10.4?????

Any ideas?

ppcg4mac
Mar 31, 2012, 01:12 AM
Wirelessly posted

The only way to fix this that I have found is to install a hard drive from another ppc Mac, alt boot onto it and set the startup volume to the osx system folder on the original volume. One of the downsides of having 2 oses on the same drive.

adddictedtomac
Mar 31, 2012, 07:12 AM
Fixed it! I did not want to use another HD, so I tried with the Mac OS X 10.3 installation disk, under utilities, there is a DiskStartup option.

tayloralmond
Mar 31, 2012, 03:01 PM
Fixed it! I did not want to use another HD, so I tried with the Mac OS X 10.3 installation disk, under utilities, there is a DiskStartup option.

The way I reboot into Tiger from 9.2.2 is holding the "X" key upon hearing the startup chime. You hold it for about 10 seconds, then the computer will restart itself and will now boot into OS X.

adddictedtomac
Mar 31, 2012, 10:57 PM
The way I reboot into Tiger from 9.2.2 is holding the "X" key upon hearing the startup chime. You hold it for about 10 seconds, then the computer will restart itself and will now boot into OS X.

Thanks, thats good to know.

tayloralmond
Apr 1, 2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks, thats good to know.

Always glad to help.