Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Have you set the preferences on ATV in the Store setting to 1080p? I just checked again and there are some 1080p in the new movies section, e.g. Moneyball and 50/50. However it does seem like less are 1080p now than last time I looked a week ago, which is weird.

----------

Have you got any examples?
A few more: Contagion, The Hangover Part II, Horrible Bosses, Crazy Stupid Love, Johnny English Reborn, Friends With Benefits.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Have you set the preferences on ATV in the Store setting to 1080p? I just checked again and there are some 1080p in the new movies section, e.g. Moneyball and 50/50. However it does seem like less are 1080p now than last time I looked a week ago, which is weird.

----------

A few more: Contagion, The Hangover Part II, Horrible Bosses, Crazy Stupid Love, Johnny English Reborn, Friends With Benefits.

the problem is that there is still a separation between what is available via itunes (on pc/mac) and what is on iPad/AppleTV.

for example, 50/50 is only available in SD on iTunes desktop, but apparently 1080p on AppleTV.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011

Interesting, none of those movies are available in HD 1080p in iTunes in a Mac.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I was considering getting TT: Closer to the Edge to try an HD film, but it is only 720p.

It is being promoted in the HD Films to Own for £7.99, but then I checked on Amazon and it is only £1 more for the 3D Blu-Ray + 2D Blu-Ray + DVD combo pack. Even the supposedly cheaper stuff is not cheap.

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Could you tell me some movie titles?

There are definitely some movies in 1080P. I went looking the other day and the new Jonny English movie was in 1080P and also the last James Bond movie.

But, there are few in the store, I'll admit.

----------

Interesting, none of those movies are available in HD 1080p in iTunes in a Mac.

No, only in the ATV store. If you view on a Mac, you don't see the 1080P option.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
No, only in the ATV store. If you view on a Mac, you don't see the 1080P option.

The 1920 x 1200 display on my iMac is capable of 1080p, and I can download 1080p movie trailers from iTunes, so it seems silly not to allow me to buy 1080p movies.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed in all this, seems either Apple is caught in-between two formats or has now made a jumble of formats exactly that.
So I have an iPad3 and a ATV3 which I can rent HD in 1080 but not buy. I hope this is not a new money making scheme as they are already losing my sales as I refuse to rent. I'd rather go buy from elsewhere and rip to feel the benefit of the new iPad and ATV.

Should have just stuck to my iPad2 and ATV2 and 720p I was quite happy.

smashie

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Just started a thread in iPad forum on this topic, I went to download Moneyball

On my IMac and it says 720p only. On my iPad it's 1080p !!!! Anyone have the

Answer?

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Thought I'd dig this thread back up.

Really dissapointed now at the total lack of 1080 films to purchase. Is there any at all?

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I left the cinema about 2 hours ago. Watched Dark Knight Rises. Wowza. What. A. Film.

I then decided to go on iTunes and download the full HD Dark Knight and Batman Begins... then stumbled across this joke. Why on earth isn't this possible? It's a little bit of a wind up. If I understand this correctly, there is apparently a difference between the iTunes on iPads/ATV and iTunes on Mac which stops the download of 1080p films to MacBooks?

You've got to be kidding me.

Uncle Pinny

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
London
It's all over the place at the moment.

Some movies on iTunes (mac) are available 720 or 1080. Some 1080 for streaming only (downloading states 720p). Others only SD but 'available in HD on iPad or Apple TV). There's complete inconsistency in what is offered in what formats - why?

I rented Dark Knight Rises last week on Apple TV and it was 1080p and looke sweet (again, users need to tick the 1080p option in the Settings page).

Wish things would just be uniform over all devices.

And why oh why are there SO FEW FILMS still available (in the UK) apart from all the usual blockbuster crap??

It's 2012 FFS. Can someone please get their sht together and offer one large library of films in decent (i.e HD, 5.1) format available for purchase or rental online? Lovefilm has the potential but it's online services are worse quality that DVD.

**EDIT** - another example of digital download service being half baked is the new on demand service form Sky - Now TV. Nothing available in HD. In 2012. Go figure.

The technology is there. Demand is there.

Sort it out! (Apple included)

Last edited:

smashie

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
If i buy a movie in SD now and later there is the option in the iTunes store to purchase in HD will apple give me the option to upgrade to HD or would i have to purchase the movie all over again.

I really like the idea of building a movie library through iTunes but with choice and format being so limited it is hard not to go down the road of purchasing blu rays and ripping them.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
If i buy a movie in SD now and later there is the option in the iTunes store to purchase in HD will apple give me the option to upgrade to HD or would i have to purchase the movie all over again.

I really like the idea of building a movie library through iTunes but with choice and format being so limited it is hard not to go down the road of purchasing blu rays and ripping them.

You will have to rebuy it entirely in HD and pay full price. It's a total mess, I have a ton of movies I want on iTunes but flat out refuse to buy because they aren't available in HD to buy, but are available to RENT in HD. It makes no sense. Pricing for HD movies is through the roof as well.

I'm really happy that apple finally has iTunes movies in the cloud, makes things so much easier but there is still room for improvement. Would like to be able to buy and stream my music collection that I've purchased in iTunes as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.