PDA

View Full Version : iMac + MacBook Air: Using the iMac as external HDD? (Automatic transfer)

Thares
Mar 31, 2012, 05:56 AM
Hello my dears,

The situation:
At the moment I own a 27" iMac. I am planning to buy the basic 13" MacBook Air (refurb, if somebody wants to know) just at the beginning of the next week. I already figured out that I can use my iMac as an external display and as a WLAN router. That rocks.
I like to browse the web a lot so I save many images on my iMac's 1 TB HDD. The Air obviously has not that much space to save stuff on - and I plan to use it primarily for study reasons.

My question to you:
I guess a lot of you guys are very experienced in the use of OS X. I want to move images/videos/large files (let's say I save everything in a special folder) from my Air to my iMac when they're both connected via WLAN. How can I do that? Automatically would be prefered.

What I don't want:
I don't want to sync the folders. I don't want to have the files on both macs. I want them to be moved from the air to the iMac every time I've saved some on that special folder on my Air when they're connected to the WLAN. Of course, the already existing files shouldn't be replaced or deleted - it should just add the new items.

Ugh. I hope somebody understands what I want. :D Thank you in advance!

nazuk
Apr 3, 2012, 01:40 AM
Search for ChronoSync on google. That allows syncing one way - eg: move your files over to the iMac.

You need to get the settings right on that app, as things could get messy otherwise. Best to 'test' on a couple of non important files/folders first.

However, its very good at what you want it to do.