Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Considering the rumoured slimmer 2012 MBP or wait longer for the 2012 MBA?

• Total voters

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
With the persistent rumors of a slimmer 2012 MBP coming and not many rumors yet for a 2012 MBA, combined with a now firmer Ivy Bridge schedule and Apple's Mountain Lion release later in the year to perhaps coincide with new hardware, it's looking like we're going to see the MBP refreshed first and the MBA perhaps later this year.

If you're an MBA owner and in the market for a 2012 refresh, will you wait longer for a 2012 MBA whenever it comes (if it does) or would you now consider a possibly slimmer MBP?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
my guess is that the 13" MBP / 13" MBA is the Same Thing

As for upgrading, yes Im currently trying to dump my 11". It's an amazing machine but, no offense to any 11" owners, I feel that The whole "netbook sized" machine trend is running its course due to tablets taking over the ultraportable market. So I just want a 13" and my iPad.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
If The 2012 MBP 13" loses the DVD and bumps the resolution, I will buy it. In fact, I will buy whatever 13" model comes out first. I really want to upgrade my 2010 MBA.

Bigredhawkeye

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
I'd be down for buying a slimmer macbook pro. It would be nice to have more harddrive space and a dedicated gpu, as long as it isn't ridiculously expensive.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If the two 13' laptops aren't merging, I am curious as to what Apple might do to sufficiently differentiate between the 2. I mean, it can't be as minor as larger HDD vs smaller SSD, and slightly faster processor for the pro.

I am guessing they might be creating a thinner MBP with 2 storage drives (1ssd, 1 normal in place of the removed ODD), and possibly longer batt life, and scrapping the 13' MBA? :confused:

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
While I'd love to downsize from 13" -> 11" MBA and add 27" cinema ...
I will take whatever offers me 8+GB of RAM.

Chances are it will be 15"MBP/A :confused:

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
my guess is that the 13" MBP / 13" MBA is the Same Thing

As for upgrading, yes Im currently trying to dump my 11". It's an amazing machine but, no offense to any 11" owners, I feel that The whole "netbook sized" machine trend is running its course due to tablets taking over the ultraportable market. So I just want a 13" and my iPad.

I have an 11" air, and love it. I'm not sure I could switch to anything else now. My gi/f 13" air feels massive after using this. My parents have an ipad 2, so when im at home i occasionally use that just to look something up on the web, but the 11" air is not much heavier and not much bigger, yet has so much more functionality.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
I have a 13" MBP 2011 which is from my work. It's the first lappy I've ever had, and while I'll always be a desktop guy, I'm seriously considering getting an 11" MBA once the 2012 model is out and old enough to have refurbs on the store. In fact I'll almost certainly do it.

I love the small size and full keyboard and I don't need much computing power as I have my desktop powerhouse. No interest in a tablet as I have a smartphone, and no-keyboard is a definite deal-breaker for my personal computing habits.

Only thing is I worry about overkill. I mean, a smartphone + desktop + MBA? Maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere. We all have our obsessions though, and tech toys is definitely one of mine.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
If the two 13' laptops aren't merging, I am curious as to what Apple might do to sufficiently differentiate between the 2. I mean, it can't be as minor as larger HDD vs smaller SSD, and slightly faster processor for the pro.

I am guessing they might be creating a thinner MBP with 2 storage drives (1ssd, 1 normal in place of the removed ODD), and possibly longer batt life, and scrapping the 13' MBA? :confused:

If I had to put $$ on it, my guess would be that the entire MBP and MBA lines are going to eventually disappear. Once they can the optical drive, we'll just have Macbooks with varying spec configs going all the way from 11" to 17".

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
If I had to put $$ on it, my guess would be that the entire MBP and MBA lines are going to eventually disappear. Once they can the optical drive, we'll just have Macbooks with varying spec configs going all the way from 11" to 17".

I agree with this.

If MBPs lose the DVD drive and the HD drive... then they will be able to slim down their chassis, and thus the difference between the MBA and the MBP family will be too blurry. If so... why not merging both into just one Macbook family?

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I agree with this.

If MBPs lose the DVD drive and the HD drive... then they will be able to slim down their chassis, and thus the difference between the MBA and the MBP family will be too blurry. If so... why not merging both into just one Macbook family?

Going forward, I think the only distinction may be a low-cost version of the Air with a iGPU and standard screen resolution, and a premium Air with dedicated GPU and retina display.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I'm still undecided on which route I'm going to go. I've currently got an old 15" MBP that weighs a ton and is super thick, so anything seems thin and light to me. I've got an iPad, so I'm having trouble justifying just an 11" or 13" MBA, and I want the extra power and GPU in a Pro model, but that super thin design keeps drawing me to an Air.

David Menzel

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012

That is what I see as the consolidation of both MacBook lines. Slightly thicker than MBA's and considerably thinner and lighter as the current MBP line.

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
There's not going to be a slimmer MBP. The optical drive and hard drive don't allow much improvements there, no chance they will ditch both of those.

Basically if you want a slimmer MBP, you have to get an Air. The MBP is for people who need the higher specs and/or lots of storage. The only thing I think could happen is the disappearance of the 13" model.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
There's not going to be a slimmer MBP. The optical drive and hard drive don't allow much improvements there, no chance they will ditch both of those.

Actually I disagree with you, specially on the MBP 13": I totally believe they will indeed remove the OD and HDD on the 2012 MBP 13".

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Actually, the biggest drawback is proper thermal management. As of the Sandy Bridge days, a proper descrete gPU is gonna be too hot for an Air like enclosure. The heat and fan noise of the current Pro is horrible as it is. Case in point, also your current Air's. And don't get me started on what that will do with the battery life if you're gonna have a powerful CPU, descrete GPU and a high resolution screen. 2 hour battery life and sterility.

But all hope is not lost. Let's all dream that the Kepler tech + Ivy Bridge is gonna solve these restrictions for a slim 15” with better power than the previous high end 15". But honestly, I'm not gonna hold my breath. If it happens, my money's waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.