PDA

View Full Version : I gave up waiting for a G5 powerbook, and bought a new Thinkpad T30.

DavidCL23
Oct 28, 2002, 11:57 AM
I gave up waiting for a G5 powerbook, and bought a new Thinkpad T30. I am sorry to say this, but I am actually glad I did this, the IBM is the best built machine I've ever owned (except for a T23 which I used occasianally at work). The screen is really bright (I would say equil to the brightness of the powerbooks). Altough I wish the screen was larger then 14.1", I don't mind it b/c its much less fragile this way. The speed is amazing, it boots win xp pro in under 15 seconds. The dvd playback is flawless (as it is on the powerbook). I got it for just over $2000 with an educational discount. P4 1.9ghz 256mb 20gb (5400rpm travelstar 40gnx drive). The video card is the only problem with the machine, but I can live with it (16mb radeon 7500).

Bradcoe
Oct 28, 2002, 12:25 PM
Great! Glad you're happy! Do me, or rather yourself, one favor though. Benchmark it now. Not with a utility or anything, but by yourself. Just see how quick things happen (like your 15sec start up into XP). Wait 6 months (assuming you don't reformat before then) and then do all this again.
According to the windows performance curve, as time increases, performace decreases. It's not a perfect line graph. It sort of stays at a steady performance as time increases, and based upon some previous actions (basically the intensity of usage), it eventually begins a decline in performance. This decrease is slightly exponential and eventually it reaches a point where performance and stability become so bad, the user A) reformats and re-installs windows and their machine feels fast again, or B) they buy a new version of windows/computer (both ways generate a sale of windows and is what MS hopes for).

Mac's on the other hand tend to run at the same speed at which it ran on the day you first turned it on until you last turn it off.

I'm constantly using both Windows and Mac. Theyre both good in their own ways.

=)

BenderBot1138
Oct 28, 2002, 12:46 PM
Wow, a Thinkpad eh? Obviously you need some help thinking.

sparkleytone
Oct 28, 2002, 01:01 PM
correct me if im wrong...and im not...but isnt this the FOR SALE/TRADE forum!?!?!?

if so, then get your ****ing trolls out of here because no one wants to hear how you got tired of 'waiting for a g5 powerbook' ... like an idiot.

we don't want to know how fast it boots, we don't give a **** how much it was, we just don't care.

please turn off your peecee...get up...and get the **** off these forums...im damn tired of you ****ing trolls.

applemacdude
Oct 31, 2002, 09:18 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :eek:

ddtlm
Oct 31, 2002, 09:42 PM
sparkleytone:

Haha, just for you:

HEY DOOD I GOT A PC LAPTOP TOO! Now, I got it a month ago so it's not new, but I wanted to tell your pathetic hypersensitive self all about it. You see, it's really nice. Weighs about 6 pounds, sports up to 1024MB of real DDR RAM with a 400mhz FSB, and clocks at 2.2ghz. 5400RPM disk, 32MB Radeon 7500... 3 year warranty plus converage if I drop it or whatever. All this for less than a PBook 667 with the standard 1 year warranty.

It kicks the crap out of my Dual 800 G4 in most things, despite having inferior video, less RAM, and much slower disks. Plays WC3 better than dual 1.0gig G4's with Ti4600's. Plays battlefield. All this, in a laptop package costing less than a dual 1.0 G4 with decent video, but without so much as a monitor.

Man, I could go on and on. Just for you. But I won't.

*smooch*

P-Worm
Oct 31, 2002, 09:54 PM
These kinds of threads make me sick. The only purpose they serve is to have a spy from the "other side" pose as a Mac lover that switched to a PC. Hope this convinces people to sell their souls to Microsoft...:rolleyes:

P-Worm

ddtlm
Oct 31, 2002, 09:56 PM
P-Worm:

Oh yes, this is a conspiracy. No, it's not. I am a genuine Mac owner that also owns a Dell laptop. And a 4-year old Gateway with an Athlon inside it's ripped up case, and a dual Xeon Linux box. I like Macs too, but I'm not under the impression that "Apple" is the name of a church.

scem0
Oct 31, 2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :eek:

Don't be closed minded, be happy for him. I have a 2.4 GHz p4, and it boots up soooooooo quick. I love it, and I am sure you will love your computer. XP ain't as bad as most people say it is. Have fun w/ your new computer. ;)

Stelliform
Oct 31, 2002, 11:09 PM
I don't understand why we care how fast the comp boots up? (And on XP, you have to measure when you can actually open something, and not when you get to your desktop. My comp gets to my desktop in 12 sec, and I can use it after 60 sec. (Good ole MS. :)

I never turn off my computers, and only reboot them when need to. My Win 2k laptop typically gets suspended instead of shut down. My XP Pro p4 1.5 Gig laptop just got E-bayed because it was a Toshiba. (Bad move on my part buying a toshiba.) My XP Pro at home gets rebooted once every few weeks, but the frequency is increasing. :( My NT Comps at my office never get rebooted. (unless there is a power outage. :)

It is just that I am tired of booting being a benchmark. Lets say, how fast did word open, and I was able to produce my report. IMHO only a benchmark on a 3d games matters. And that is only if you game. If you don't, buy the cheapest brand name computer you can find. You will never be disappointed in speed.

Vector
Oct 31, 2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
I don't understand why we care how fast the comp boots up? (And on XP, you have to measure when you can actually open something, and not when you get to your desktop. My comp gets to my desktop in 12 sec, and I can use it after 60 sec. (Good ole MS. :)

I never turn off my computers, and only reboot them when need to. My Win 2k laptop typically gets suspended instead of shut down. My XP Pro p4 1.5 Gig laptop just got E-bayed because it was a Toshiba. (Bad move on my part buying a toshiba.) My XP Pro at home gets rebooted once every few weeks, but the frequency is increasing. :( My NT Comps at my office never get rebooted. (unless there is a power outage. :)

It is just that I am tired of booting being a benchmark. Lets say, how fast did word open, and I was able to produce my report. IMHO only a benchmark on a 3d games matters. And that is only if you game. If you don't, buy the cheapest brand name computer you can find. You will never be disappointed in speed.

I agree.

I never turn off my powermac or my pc. The only time that i have to turn off my computer is restarting after some software updates. Usually i go about a month or two without turning my computer off, so start up times do not matter at all to me. The only time my powerbook is not on is when it is sleeping, i rarely turn it off. The only start up times that matter to me are those of applications.

ddtlm
Oct 31, 2002, 11:39 PM
Stelliform:

I agree that system booting time is one of the most worthless benchmarks in existence. For one thing, high-end PCs that are based on SCSI take a lot longer to boot, as it goes through SCSI BIOS... but once it's booted the SCSI pays off. (I've got SCSI in my Mac too, but I've never seen that slow down the booting.)

I don't agree about 3D games being the only benchmark that matters though. The best benchmark is the one that most closely matches whatever the user does. (Video editing, photoshopping, science stuff, who knows.)

solvs
Nov 1, 2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by DavidCL23
I gave up waiting for a G5 powerbook, and bought a new Thinkpad T30. I am sorry to say this, but I am actually glad I did this, the IBM is the best built machine I've ever owned (except for a T23 which I used occasianally at work). The screen is really bright (I would say equil to the brightness of the powerbooks). Altough I wish the screen was larger then 14.1", I don't mind it b/c its much less fragile this way. The speed is amazing, it boots win xp pro in under 15 seconds. The dvd playback is flawless (as it is on the powerbook). I got it for just over $2000 with an educational discount. P4 1.9ghz 256mb 20gb (5400rpm travelstar 40gnx drive). The video card is the only problem with the machine, but I can live with it (16mb radeon 7500).

Aren't you the same jerk who just called Jam Master Jay "trash" in another forum? The DJ, formerly of Run DMC, who was shot for no reason. The respectable, married, father of 3, who wasn't just some wannabe rapping about violence and drugs, but was actually a talented musician, as well as a pretty decent guy.

Aren't you the same poster?

Yes Macs and PCs each have their pluses and minuses (I've owned and used many of both), but you seem to be only posting flamebait. I thought you were just a jerk, or a PC weenie, and I have no problems complaining when Apple pisses me off, so don't go calling me a zealot or anything, but you seem to be just posting things for the specific purpose of pissing people off. Then you seem to disappear.

I've never reported anyone (although I came close with that kid who said teachers were stupid because if they were smarter they'd make more money, then he went off about some guy who was "gay". Not that I'm gay, but they don't deserve to be talked about like that, anymore than Jam Master Jay deserved to be shot. And my Mom is a teacher), but you deserve it. I hope you're watching Admin (or Arn, or whoever).

Stuff like this (I hope) gets you banned.

ddtlm
Nov 1, 2002, 01:50 AM
solvs:

Jerk or no, I still think it's OK to post about adventures on "the dark side." To claim otherwise sounds distinctly like this is some propaganda site.

solvs
Nov 1, 2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by ddtlm
solvs:

Jerk or no, I still think it's OK to post about adventures on "the dark side." To claim otherwise sounds distinctly like this is some propaganda site.

I don't mind the PC part, it's the Flamebait part. Like I said, I will (and have) complained about Apple, and complemented PCs. I think the thing that really set me off was his other post where he called Jam Master Jay "trash" on another thread. Someone posted that he was shot, and he mucked up a perfectly nice tribute thread to someone we admired.

I'm sorry if I carried it over to this thread. I just hate it when it seems like people come here with nothing to do but p*ss us off. I'm no zealot, and I like to hear others opinions and experiances, but there was no reason for him to do it like this. There are more contructive ways to do this.

I know I should let it go, but some people...

Sun Baked
Nov 1, 2002, 02:26 AM
solvs,

Let it go, and smile at the thought of what he'll be getting for Christmas...

springscansing
Nov 1, 2002, 03:10 AM
sparkleytone = 1, scem0 = 0 :D

crassusad44
Nov 1, 2002, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by DavidCL23
I gave up waiting for a G5 powerbook, and bought a new Thinkpad T30.

So when did your sorry ass think a PB G5 would come out, when we don't even have a PM G5??? And you got a lousy IBM!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Get away troll, and brag about your 'puter on a Windows geek forum!!!

&$&#$&$#%E$%#&"#& idiot

(Sorry arn, I'm just sick of people braging about Windows computers they have recently purchased)

DavidCL23
Nov 1, 2002, 05:22 AM
RUN DMC is trash. The thinkpad is great, I wish it had a larger screen, but the performance more then makes up for it. I am not willing to sheell out $2500-$3000 and get a computer I know is already outdated, sorry, but I work very hard for my money. Why the hell did steve jobs get so much $$$ in benifits? B/c apple is going to hell and the board is paying him off to keep him quite. He was the largest paid CEO if you include benifits (I know his salery was 0).