PDA

View Full Version : MBA, Thunderbolt monitor and filevault

helveta
Mar 31, 2012, 11:28 AM
I've been using a MBA and thunderbolt monitor for my desktop system for four months and have been extremely happy with everything. Last week I turned on file vault and ever since I have to completely log into my account before closing the MBA and having the monitor turn on. Before as soon as the MBA screen came on I could close it and the thunderbolt monitor would turn on.

This is kind of awkward because I'm using a book arc stand tucked into the back of my credenza with the cords extended to the limit. Has anyone else run into this or have a solution?

Also, does anyone think apple will ever make an extension for the power/thunderbolt cord on the back of the monitor?

helveta
Apr 3, 2012, 10:15 AM
I just realized that I have to manually switch to the monitor speakers every time I plug in too.

TheRealDamager
Apr 3, 2012, 12:02 PM
I don't think it's specifically related to FileVault, as several of us use it with a TB monitor and aren't having these issues. Have you tried calling Apple Support?

bogatyr
Apr 3, 2012, 12:39 PM
I use FileVault with mine but I don't connect my TBD before closing the lid. The lid is closed, I hook up the TBD and I wake my laptop using my mouse (magic mouse, bluetooth) or keyboard (Logitech K750-mac, USB).

It takes 5-20 seconds for the laptop to wake up and the screen to display the login prompt. Type in my password on the USB keyboard and I'm in.

TheRealDamager
Apr 3, 2012, 01:01 PM
I use FileVault with mine but I don't connect my TBD before closing the lid. The lid is closed, I hook up the TBD and I wake my laptop using my mouse (magic mouse, bluetooth) or keyboard (Logitech K750-mac, USB).

It takes 5-20 seconds for the laptop to wake up and the screen to display the login prompt. Type in my password on the USB keyboard and I'm in.

Yes - this is how I do it as well. I walk into my office, pull my close Air out of my bag, put it in the stand, and hook up the 2 connectors.

No-Me
Apr 3, 2012, 03:39 PM
Also, does anyone think apple will ever make an extension for the power/thunderbolt cord on the back of the monitor?

I plugged the 2m thunderbolt cable in the screens output and in my MBA's output, works like a charm, the only thing you need is a separate charger and that you also have 2 "useless" cables lying around.

jmoore5196
Apr 3, 2012, 05:58 PM
I plugged the 2m thunderbolt cable in the screens output and in my MBA's output, works like a charm, the only thing you need is a separate charger and that you also have 2 "useless" cables lying around.

Your post was worth the price of admission for me ... no more worrying about the cable "split" when my MBA is in the BookArc. Thanks!

helveta
Apr 4, 2012, 08:33 AM

Great idea, as soon as I have the extra money for a new cable I'll give it a try.

----------

I did this and the screen woke up, I checked the speaker and it was using the display speaker, I opened a window and started typing... and nothing. Tried another window, still nothing. It seems the usb keyboard was not being recognized. Did a restart and the keyboard worked.

????

No-Me
Apr 4, 2012, 08:37 AM
I was really surprised that it worked since the specs of the 27 TB display say it's an output only. :-)

bogatyr
Apr 4, 2012, 12:38 PM
I did this and the screen woke up, I checked the speaker and it was using the display speaker, I opened a window and started typing... and nothing. Tried another window, still nothing. It seems the usb keyboard was not being recognized. Did a restart and the keyboard worked.

????

Sometimes I have to restart for the Ethernet port to work, but never the keyboard.