Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JessYates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I recently did a 7 step wipe of a 12 inch 1.33 Ghz Silver PowerBook G4. In attempting to partition the 75 Gig HD and reinstall the original OS I have been getting a handful of problems including: the machine freezes up while installing the original software as well as any 10.5 software I try to install, it tends to give me a backtrace terminated frame not mapped Kernel panic error. I have tried to wipe the disk again to start from scratch but it freezes as well. Yesterday I thought it actually did successfully re-wipe the HD but then I could not see the HD inside disk utility. This morning I see the disk but when trying to partition the HD it freezes up (just sits there never actually crashing). Is there a crafty move to try to save this old timer or is it time to give up the ghost? Thanks for any help.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It could be one of two things. Your hard drive is dieing or your have bad a bad ram stick.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Swap out the hard drive with a known good one or remove the ram stick and use the onboard 256Mb of ram.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
why not running first apple hardware test?
If you don't have the original cds that came with the machine you can download them.
Link is on the faq on my sig.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
why not running first apple hardware test?
If you don't have the original cds that came with the machine you can download them.
Link is on the faq on my sig.

You can't download the 12" Powerbook G4 1.33Ghz AHT disc from Apple. It was only given to service centres. Not PPC Macs are have their AHT discs released to the public.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.