Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
All of a sudden last night the interface on my AppleTV blinked for a second and then all my menu options were gone except for "settings" and "computer".

I reset it, unplugged the cables, changed from wifi to ethernet and back, etc. The network test runs fine.

The only thing that would fix it was doing a full restore - then everything came back but as soon as I turned on iTunes match it all disappeared again.

I'm doing another restore now in the hopes I can get the other options back again, and I'll avoid turning on iTunes match until the next software update but its annoying.

Anyone else having this issue or have any advice? I kind of wish I had just stayed on the last major version of the AppleTV software - I don't even like the new interface and it used to always work solidly. If I could roll back to a previous version I would happily do so.

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
Common Problem

This has happened to me twice since I purchased the Apple TV 3 (never happened with ATV2). The first time, I had to do a reset. The second time is right now and I'm trying that again. I tried restarting, physically implugging the device from the wall, rebooting my modem and router, nothing works.

You can Google the problem to see that it is fairly common. :mad:

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
This has occurred with my ATV2. Usually it is a crash caused by Netflix in my experience. Usually it recovers on its own.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
This just happened to me today. I restarted it and it fixed itself. Annoying though, especially since I plan on giving this to my dad next time I see him. He'd have no idea how to fix it.

agrumke

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
similar to common problem.

This also happened to me. I moved to college and purchased an Airport Express. The router works and is set up (all devices connect to the internet). I turn on the Apple TV and it has only the Computers and settings. Even after connecting via ethernet and/or wifi i have the same problem. The problem persists after resets and a restore (while being plugged into iTunes). I cannot sign into the itunes store bc it says it is unavailable...which is the same reason I can't do a network test. The network works on all my other devices so i cannot understand what would be the problem. My router did have to be set to bridge mode because of DCHP and NAT? Anyways any help would be appreciated as this is frustrating.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I think what that means is when you see it your ATV has lost it's internet connection (if you check your setting you probably have a self-assigned IP). Rebooting your ATV or you router will probably fixit, or plugging in an ethernet cable.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I've seen this on a jailbroken aTV2

Jailbroken has nothing to do with it, the aTV pulls it's menus from the web. It's how hulu showed up one morning without doing a software upgrade. if it can't access the web, it can't get it's menus.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I think what that means is when you see it your ATV has lost it's internet connection (if you check your setting you probably have a self-assigned IP). Rebooting your ATV or you router will probably fixit, or plugging in an ethernet cable.

That was my issue as well. Got it all the time when I used the ethernet port. Once I just said screw it and went wireless it's worked fine.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Jailbroken has nothing to do with it, the aTV pulls it's menus from the web. It's how hulu showed up one morning without doing a software upgrade. if it can't access the web, it can't get it's menus.

i wasn't saying the jailbreak had anything to do with it. I was just trying to help with the forum by adding what i've seen.

ps...i also dont have hulu(uk)

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
My AirPlay crashes it once a week or so. And it goes out but when the screen comes back on my media is still playing but it's as if nothing is connected because it doesn't even have "now playing", it just says turn home sharing on even though it is outputting my music.

Andrew*Debbie

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
North Wales, United Kingdom
Ours does exactly that when it doesn't have a full internet connection.

We use T-Mobile 3G for our home internet. After we've used up our month bandwith, T-Mobile restricts our connection to "Browse and e-mail" When that happens the ATV 2 only shows settings and computer.

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
WTF, I always pay premium to buy 3d bluray combo packs with iTunes Digital Copy and now its seems UV is gaining traction! How? It is junk, I watched crappy downloads on my Pentium laptop decades ago and now I want, no, scratch that, NEED my 1080p ATV convenience.

I liked watching it initially with the DTS Master HD audio (that destroys regular dolby digital) but now I'm being forced to choose...why??

Ahh, that feels better, now I'm going to buy Amazing Spiderman in 1080p through iTunes; no DTS Master HD but $10 cheaper than the combo packs I became accustomed to buying. Scr*w you big six and your UV too! :)

Jeffryyyy

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
Ive fixed this problem twice by reverting my DNS Settings from Manual to Automatic

jim f

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2016
All of a sudden last night the interface on my AppleTV blinked for a second and then all my menu options were gone except for "settings" and "computer".

I reset it, unplugged the cables, changed from wifi to ethernet and back, etc. The network test runs fine.

The only thing that would fix it was doing a full restore - then everything came back but as soon as I turned on iTunes match it all disappeared again.

I'm doing another restore now in the hopes I can get the other options back again, and I'll avoid turning on iTunes match until the next software update but its annoying.

Anyone else having this issue or have any advice? I kind of wish I had just stayed on the last major version of the AppleTV software - I don't even like the new interface and it used to always work solidly. If I could roll back to a previous version I would happily do so.
[doublepost=1466554910][/doublepost]I tried restarting and resetting the Apple TV and did not work. I rebooted my router by unplugging it for 30 seconds and that solved the issue

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
- Software restart had no effect
- changing my region settings worked for a little bit and then it reverted
- Power cable restart no luck
- router reset no luck

Going to reset the whole box now..

Reactions: ganjaology

ganjaology

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Mendocino
- Software restart had no effect
- changing my region settings worked for a little bit and then it reverted
- Power cable restart no luck
- router reset no luck

Going to reset the whole box now..

I too just had this issue. October 31/November 01 2016
All I see is a computer and settings option. In the settings option I have access to everything except the main menu setting. There's absolutely nothing in there as an option. I've restarted my Apple TV as well as my AirPort Extreme. I've reset the Apple TV and I inserted all the info back in like my iCloud acct etc. it obviously is logging onto the Internet since I was able to connect my iCloud account. One other strange thing is that my iTunes won't recognize the Apple TV when I plug it in directly to my Mac mini via a USB cable. It just doesn't show up. What the heck happened? Apple do you have an explanation for this one?

Krispies13

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
I thought I was alone.. just happened to me today as well... been looking for a fix all night .. smh
I too just had this issue. October 31/November 01 2016
All I see is a computer and settings option. In the settings option I have access to everything except the main menu setting. There's absolutely nothing in there as an option. I've restarted my Apple TV as well as my AirPort Extreme. I've reset the Apple TV and I inserted all the info back in like my iCloud acct etc. it obviously is logging onto the Internet since I was able to connect my iCloud account. One other strange thing is that my iTunes won't recognize the Apple TV when I plug it in directly to my Mac mini via a USB cable. It just doesn't show up. What the heck happened? Apple do you have an explanation for this one?

Gabbisonn

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
Las Vegas
THIS LITERALLY JUST HAPPENED TO ME.

It kicked me off of Netflix randomly and now everything is missing except for Music, Computers, and Settings. I've restarted it several times, restarted my router, and I even restored my Apple TV. Still nothing. Is this just some sort of glitch with apple? Or am I missing something here?

I thought I was alone.. just happened to me today as well... been looking for a fix all night .. smh

Attachments

• IMG_5300.JPG
    IMG_5300.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 1,706

annawalks

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016

It kicked me off of Netflix randomly and now everything is missing except for Music, Computers, and Settings. I've restarted it several times, restarted my router, and I even restored my Apple TV. Still nothing. Is this just some sort of glitch with apple? Or am I missing something here?
[doublepost=1478084547][/doublepost]Go into settings, iTunes Store, Location, and change your location to Namibia. Back out of settings, go back in and change it back to US. It will restore all the apps.

CassiusR

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016

Just happened to me yesterday as well! HAS to be some kinda bug!

CassiusR

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
[doublepost=1478084547][/doublepost]Go into settings, iTunes Store, Location, and change your location to Namibia. Back out of settings, go back in and change it back to US. It will restore all the apps.
Worked partially. Some of my apps like ESPN are still missing. I literally have half the menu I normally do. #ATV3

Adeclaire

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
This happened to us yesterday, I tried the change of location thing but only a few (lame) apps came back up and Netflix. Hulu and hbo go won't show up. When I did a reset all the apps disappeared again and it went back to the screen with computer and settings as the only option. Is this because of an update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.