PDA

View Full Version : Debating on getting 13" MacBook Air now or wait?




Smiller4128
Mar 31, 2012, 09:13 PM
Well my laptop took a dump awhile ago (pc go figure right?) anyways for the time being I've been using one of the new iPads to just do simple stuff like emailing and web surfing. However it just doesn't seem right for me to use constantly and I can't help but feel I need a laptop to accompany it. Plus I got a nice tax return :) anyways, my question is if it's a good idea to go and get a 1.8Ghz 13" MacBook Air right now? I've heard a lot of rumors about something coming out next. Onto in April and from what I'm reading, it's leaning towards a revamped 15" MacBook pro that's supposed to have a redesign similar to the MacBook air. And I've also heard it could be a combination of the two lines (air and pro) coming together. How accurate do you think these rumors are? And based on that, is it wise for me to buy a MacBook air now or am I better off trying to wait for another month? Thanks for any and all help/useful information!



Masterfox72
Mar 31, 2012, 09:38 PM
It's only a month wait really.

If they refresh, you hit the jackpot.

If not, all you lose is a month without a laptop.

Probably worth it to wait as Air and Pro are getting ready to refresh anytime from April through June.

DvlFig
Mar 31, 2012, 09:55 PM
I bought mine exactly last Saturday and I'm in love. It's so fast, light, beautiful:) I know the refresh is coming soon but, oh well. I'd go ahead and buy it, I needed a laptop bad so I went and bought it. I will sell it sometime in the beginning of next year and then, I'll get the next model if it's worth it.

Redbull916
Apr 1, 2012, 12:21 AM
I Brought my i7 air last week and its super fast.
I virtualised my Dell windows 7 laptop and the virtual version is much quicker than the real thing.

urkel
Apr 1, 2012, 12:44 AM
As soon as I dump my 2011 11" I'll start shopping for a 2011 13". I actually owned one for a few weeks before foolishly exchanging it for the 11", but a few months later and I'm dying to get a 13" again (along with the SD slot, better battery, higher capacity and bigger screen). The problem is that the MBA rumors make it seem that a refresh is right around the corner. So I'll try my best to wait and see if we get any cool features for 2012 and if not then I'll get a heavily discounted 2011 13".

andrewlgm
Apr 1, 2012, 01:39 AM
I've been waiting for about 4 months. Mine still cuts it. Although on the heavy side. I'd say wait and buy NEW tech.

Smiller4128
Apr 1, 2012, 02:41 AM
Well that's pretty evenly split...lol. I'm dying to get one right away but I guess I'll try to at least hold out until the end of April maybe and see if any news comes out

Abazigal
Apr 1, 2012, 02:52 AM
While Sandy bridge processors due in the next few months promise faster processor speed and lower power consumption, I doubt their impact in an air macbook will be all that significant, unless you are constantly doing stuff which push it to the max (in which case, you may be better off with a more powerful computer).

Unless Apple decides to radically revamp their laptop line this year, I feel you would be well served getting one now. Else, you could easily be waiting anywhere from 1-3 months for the next refresh.

gbredneck
Apr 1, 2012, 07:46 AM
Buy one now, if you dont need it, just wait until they are released.

I just bought a pair of MBA's 11" and 13" and cant say i regret it, they both appear to be blindingly fast little machines (they are only the i5 version).

If you think you'll regret buying an "older model" then definitely wait until something is announced, personally i'd rather have an item when i need it, not wait. Consumerism at its best.

Smiller4128
Apr 2, 2012, 12:22 PM
Wirelessly posted

Yeah this is definitely not an easy choice...especially considering Best buy just started selling 1.8ghz versions and they offer excellent financing options...but then again I would probably return it if a redesigned 13" MacBook Pro came out in April here...

jmgregory1
Apr 2, 2012, 01:15 PM
Just buy what you need/want now. All of us enjoying using our Airs now are a testament to just how good they are. Yes, Apple will probably update them in the next (fill in the blank time period), but you can start using and enjoying what you buy now.

If they release some new killer version - sell what you got (or return it if within the 30 day window) and buy new. Apple laptops hold their value extremely well and chances are good you'd lose very little in a transaction like that - if you just have to have the latest and greatest.

I know I have a penchant for getting what's new/better/faster, but I also appreciate what I have NOW and I'm not going to get excited about a processor speed bump or graphics improvement (I don't play games or watch movies on my Air). More storage for less $ and maybe better battery would pique my interest, but I'm not suffering today with what I have, so what's the point.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 2, 2012, 01:35 PM
Wirelessly posted

Yeah this is definitely not an easy choice...especially considering Best buy just started selling 1.8ghz versions and they offer excellent financing options...but then again I would probably return it if a redesigned 13" MacBook Pro came out in April here...

If you just got a big check from the treasury (fix your withholding) why would the financing matter?

fruitycups
Apr 2, 2012, 02:33 PM
dang.. i have the same question.

I wonder if they are going to upgrade the pro in June or before that..

DryEyez
Apr 2, 2012, 03:35 PM
My vote is wait, plus we are already in april now :)

mdnz
Apr 2, 2012, 03:53 PM
Remember that the new CPU's will use a smaller die, meaning that they will generate less heat. The perfomance gain CPU wise is very little compared to the current line, however graphics performace is around 50% faster.

urkel
Apr 2, 2012, 04:03 PM
here's a question. hat would make you NOT buy the next gen and have you opt for the 2011 instead?

I'm very tempted to buy a 13" now but I don't necessarily "need" it yet so I'll wait for the specs of the 2012. But in the end then the 2011 has everything I need except for USB3 so if the next one is an incremental upgrade then I may opt to save a few hundredbucks by going with last years very capable Air.

Higgs1
Apr 2, 2012, 04:23 PM
here's a question. hat would make you NOT buy the next gen and have you opt for the 2011 instead?

I'm very tempted to buy a 13" now but I don't necessarily "need" it yet so I'll wait for the specs of the 2012. But in the end then the 2011 has everything I need except for USB3 so if the next one is an incremental upgrade then I may opt to save a few hundredbucks by going with last years very capable Air.

I am taking this approach too. I sold my 2009 mpb in anticipation of getting an air and am using my iPad in the interim until I see the 2012 specs. If good I'll get one, otherwise I'll grab a heavily discounted 2011 model. Shouldn't me more than a couple months or so if you can hold out.

Jordan921
Apr 2, 2012, 07:46 PM
Wait and see if they refresh.

ixodes
Apr 2, 2012, 07:55 PM
By all means wait, you won't regret it :)

Focus on your other responsibilities & the time will fly by.

yanksrock100
Apr 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
You should wait, and it won't be too hard since you have an iPad! If theres a big refresh, like a retina display, or higher resolution, you made the right choice. If there's just a spec bump, you still made the right choice! :-)

It will be just a little longer...I'm waiting till Xmas for a new laptop ;)