PDA

View Full Version : 2 Apple TV's and 2 TV Sets?

woodynorman
Apr 1, 2012, 12:06 AM
How will this work?......

I currently have Apple TV 2 in the house on my main TV

I am going to install a new LCD TV and a new Apple TV box on my back patio.

Sometimes I would like to be able to play separate things inside vs. outside (lets say Pandora outside from my ipad, and an episode of Walking Dead rented from iTunes inside).

Other times I'd like to play the same thing inside and out (lets say Pandora from my iPad to both TV's).

How does it work? Does each Apple TV in the house have it's own separate identifier?

Thanks for your help

Cell-666
Apr 1, 2012, 12:11 AM
Yes and yes. I have three in our house all renamed to identify which is which. They can of course play independently from you iTunes library. Initune you can also stream your music to all you AT2's simultaneously too. Which is hand when your moving about the house while listening to music.

woodynorman
Apr 1, 2012, 02:12 AM
Thanks!

woodynorman
Apr 1, 2012, 09:13 PM
I got my new apple TV box for outside. Got everything hooked up but I cant play the same thing on both TV's.

When I click the little airplay box it shows both units, but I can only connect to one at a time!

I would really like to have the same thing playing inside and out.

PNutts
Apr 2, 2012, 12:40 AM
I got my new apple TV box for outside. Got everything hooked up but I cant play the same thing on both TV's.

When I click the little airplay box it shows both units, but I can only connect to one at a time!

I would really like to have the same thing playing inside and out.

In iTunes if you click the AirPlay icon you'll see the selection "Multiple Speakers". When you click that you'll see all your AirPlay devices and can choose some or all of them. The same features is in the Remote app which plays content from iTunes.

I'm not aware of this capability if you're playing content from an iOS device. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I don't see it. :)

waw74
Apr 2, 2012, 07:06 AM
currently airplay will only go to one device from iOS, but multiples from iTunes.

if you want to use pandora to multiple locations at once you'll need to use a program called airfoil (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/) on a computer. You can download and test for free, it will only send audio for a few minutes at a time though. the paid version is $25

airfoil lets you pick one program, or whole system audio to multiple locations at once, you can choose safari (or your browser of choice), and then go to the pandora page and it will work.
if you use a browser, all audio from that browser will go to the remote speakers, so if you have another tab open, that audio will be sent also.

another option is Pandora's box (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pandoras-box/id454320479?mt=12) it's a program that sits in your menu bar, that plays pandora, the main advantage to this is when used with airfoil, it sends the track info to the aTV and allows for control using the remote on the aTV (play/pause, back and next only, so you have to pick the station at the computer)

with airfoil, you can also send audio to windows, mac, linux, or you iOS devices using a free program from them.
the windows and mac version of the speaker program will also show up as an airplay destination in iTunes and iOS.