PDA

View Full Version : Strawmen

Mac'nCheese
Apr 1, 2012, 09:10 AM
Is it just me or is the word STRAWMAN being used way too much and often incorrectly in PRSI? Just saw another post where the poster just wrote STRAWMAN in response to an argument and I felt, hmmm, your strawman argument makes no sense. Maybe I'm just cranky cause I didn't win that half a billion dollars on Friday. But my odds......

MorphingDragon
Apr 1, 2012, 09:23 AM
Is it just me or is the word STRAWMAN being used way too much and often incorrectly in PRSI? Just saw another post where the poster just wrote STRAWMAN in response to an argument and I felt, hmmm, your strawman argument makes no sense. Maybe I'm just cranky cause I didn't win that half a billion dollars on Friday. But my odds......

Name names.

Do It! You know you want to.

The strawman fallacy is to simply argue with a misrepresentation of the original argument. If I'm thinking of what you're thinking of, it is most definitely a generalisation and a misrepresentation of the original argument.

citizenzen
Apr 1, 2012, 09:28 AM
Straw man arguments do get thrown about a lot around here.

I have nothing against that being pointed out.

obeygiant
Apr 1, 2012, 09:55 AM

Yeah, I'm also surprised at your inability to spot one like the one you quoted in the Santorum thread. You know, the issue where he DIDN'T use the n-word.

Mac'nCheese
Apr 1, 2012, 10:07 AM
Name names.

Do It! You know you want to.

The strawman fallacy is to simply argue with a misrepresentation of the original argument. If I'm thinking of what you're thinking of, it is most definitely a generalisation and a misrepresentation of the original argument.

Naming names would be a forum violation and I can't afford a third strike man! I can't do it!
Yeah, I'm also surprised at your inability to spot one like the one you quoted in the Santorum thread. You know, the issue where he DIDN'T use the n-word.

Ok, give me a minute to check out that thread....

----------

That was quick. For someone who is trying to insult me for missing the point, I'm sorry to point out that you are the one who missed the point. More details in the other thread...

Liquorpuki
Apr 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
On this board I see a ton of strawmen, red herrings, proof by obfuscation, loaded language, and argument hedging. It's just a lot of people don't realize they normally use f'd up logic

A few times I've pointed out the fallacy only to see the other guy deny it repeatedly and get all ********

If you want a good thinking exercise, read through a book like Pirie's "How to Win Every Argument" then see how many fallacies you can spot on this forum. Makes you a better debater.

dukebound85
Apr 1, 2012, 10:33 PM
I see this alot with a certain poster whose username involves a "/"...

Mac'nCheese
Apr 3, 2012, 05:26 PM
Today's pet peeve is posters who just post something like "fail" or "fallacy" without any facts to show why. Just "no it's not" and they're done.

MorphingDragon
Apr 3, 2012, 10:14 PM
Today's pet peeve is posters who just post something like "fail" or "fallacy" without any facts to show why. Just "no it's not" and they're done.

You mean just like this post?

citizenzen
Apr 3, 2012, 10:27 PM

No.

MorphingDragon
Apr 3, 2012, 10:29 PM
No.

Yes

/user/me
Apr 3, 2012, 11:00 PM
First thing that came to mind when reading this thread :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_zzCLLRvE

Mac'nCheese
Apr 4, 2012, 07:37 AM

Not at all. I had a point. I vented about something. Just saying "fail" is not adding anything to the discussion. Its not bringing up anything new. Its like the people who instead of just hitting the thumbs up button posts "this" or "I agree". What's the point?

Happybunny
Apr 4, 2012, 07:45 AM
No.

Yes

Maybe. :D

MorphingDragon
Apr 4, 2012, 08:00 AM
Not at all. I had a point. I vented about something. Just saying "fail" is not adding anything to the discussion. Its not bringing up anything new. Its like the people who instead of just hitting the thumbs up button posts "this" or "I agree". What's the point?

To annoy the **** out of the mods.

Maybe. :D

Ask again later.

jeremy h
Apr 4, 2012, 08:02 AM
I suspect it's a cunning plan to win the argument - as for some reason whenever I see/hear the word strawman it makes me think of the Wicker Man. Then I get thinking about Brit Eckland and 'that' dance and guess what - then I completely forget the really important and salient point I was going to make...

MadeTheSwitch
Apr 4, 2012, 03:37 PM
In a speech today, Romney used the "strawman" line regarding something Obama said earlier this week. I found that interesting considering this thread. Maybe Romney reads MacRumors? :)

hulugu
Apr 5, 2012, 01:25 PM
On this board I see a ton of strawmen, red herrings, proof by obfuscation, loaded language, and argument hedging. It's just a lot of people don't realize they normally use f'd up logic...

I agree.*

Of course, some people will use it incorrectly and even throw the phrase and hope nobody notices it's a dud, but pointing out that an argument is based on a logical fallacy is part of a debate.

*(And I'm sure I've used them myself).

localoid
Apr 6, 2012, 02:22 AM
Dogmatic assertions of straw man arguments, misplaced concreteness, and other evil products of cognitive flawed minds don't bug me nearly as much as topic drift does. Won't someone please think of the children?

GcZJZn85Q7o

Liquorpuki
Apr 6, 2012, 10:20 AM
Of course, some people will use it incorrectly and even throw the phrase and hope nobody notices it's a dud, but pointing out that an argument is based on a logical fallacy is part of a debate.

*(And I'm sure I've used them myself).

I know I have but I've gotten a lot better though. Part of the reason is it's easy for straw men to get in the mix when the person you're arguing with isn't communicating coherently, is hedging his argument, has poor reading comprehension, or doesn't pay attention to context. Sometimes that person is you and you don't realize you're doing it.

Dogmatic assertions of straw man arguments, misplaced concreteness, and other evil products of cognitive flawed minds don't bug me nearly as much as topic drift does. Won't someone please think of the children?

a straw man is a form of topic drift though. it's also probably the most subtle