Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
It came installed, no disc on my dell.

Is there a way to make a copy of windows 7 and create an image and boot it in parallels to transfer my win7 to my parallels on the mac? I'm not going to be using the dell anymore because the HDD is failing and it sometimes boots and doesn't boot.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Even if there was a way, it would not be legal because your Dell has an OEM version of Windows 7 and the license is tied to that specific machine. If you don't mind an illegal version, then there are far easier ways to acquire a copy of Windows 7 but discussing them in MacRumors is prohibited.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
It came installed, no disc on my dell.

Is there a way to make a copy of windows 7 and create an image and boot it in parallels to transfer my win7 to my parallels on the mac? I'm not going to be using the dell anymore because the HDD is failing and it sometimes boots and doesn't boot.

ya like HellHammer said the copy that came with your Dell is meant for that machine only, usually why Dells and other laptops that come with an OS are so cheap you can get a Dell laptop for about the same price as a full retail version of Windows

not1lost

macrumors member
Even if there was a way, it would not be legal because your Dell has an OEM version of Windows 7 and the license is tied to that specific machine. If you don't mind an illegal version, then there are far easier ways to acquire a copy of Windows 7 but discussing them in MacRumors is prohibited.

I got a windows 7 disc with my dell. am I still not allowed to put it on a Mac?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.