Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plastic Avatar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
West Virginia
Got my iMac yesterday, and I'm loving it.

It doesn't quite inspire me the way the Cube did, but it's close.

About the only 'hate' I've come across so far is more of a gripe- fan noise.

Based on threads in the forums, I was expecting MDD-type hairdryer-on-steroids noise.... but it's really no more intrusive than the fan noise on my wife's 12" PB. And, it comes and goes with processor load. I can deal with that.

So, yeah, less of a hate and more of a 'Gee I wish it was as quiet as my Cube was.... but then it'd probably burn up just like so many Cubes did.'

Anyone living with an iMac G5 come across anything about it that gets your goat? Anyone have anything in particular they love about their machines?

I'm just curious and giddy, what with new machine happiness and all :D

I got the stock upper-tier 17" with Superdrive. I added a GB stick o' RAM, though =)

Vster

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Celina, TX
Yup got my iMac G5 not too long ago and I love it! My only dislike is the fan (which is louder than I've expected), but I'm used to it now. :D

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
excited too

i bought my iMac G5 17inch with 250gig hd ... I can not wait to open it up! I am on vacation and the computer was shipped home. I will get to open it up in about a week! :)

fan noise is something i hear about as a complaint too... but, i haven't had the opportunity to witness that.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Plastic Avatar said:
I got the stock upper-tier 17" with Superdrive. I added a GB stick o' RAM, though =)

thats exactly the one I got about 2 weeks ago, and I added 1 Gb of RAM too... we have the EXACT same machine! I love it as well.. The fans do ramp up when I do anythign processor or GPU intensive, but othewise its not so bad. Much better than the FRANKENSTEIN PC I built/ was using prior to this. I dont see any better value that these machines right now... you are basically getting a low end powermac, with a free LCD monitor in a super-slim package that is pretty much portable, for hundreds less than a powermac.

atakordie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
Yeah, I got the same model you did, Plastic, and it's a real nice looking machine (especially to these switcher's eyes). Yes, the fan noise is noticeable, but it is much quieter than my old windows desktop and my toshiba laptop. Only gripe is that the fan really gets spinnin' when I download images and whatnot from the web, like within a web page. Can't figure out why, I have the 2 GB RAM and I did a clean install right out of the box. Other than that, perfectly content.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Chip NoVaMac said:
My gripe? Wish it had dual processors! :D
Same here, or at least dual-core. :D

I'm in love with my new iMac (see below) - haven't had any fan or sleep issues so far (these seem to be the major complaints I've seen). However, it's less than three weeks old, so as far as I'm concerned, it's still in its "burn-in" time. I'll see what happens when I run a bunch of sound editing software all at once, or let it sleep for an entire weekend or so...

Actually, I was reading an old thread about iMac memory and the G5 - currently, the Apple Developer Supplement for the iMac indicates that its maximum RAM, No Matter What, will be 2GB. However, there are 2GB PC3200 memory chips out there - if ones that meet the iMac specs were to be made, could they, would they, might they work? This would mean you could possibly fit as much as 4GB of RAM in an iMac - something that would certainly extend its useful lifetime.

Knowing Apple has done this before with its previous computers - namely stating that their maximum RAM is the size of the maximum amount of chip slots times the maximum size of the chips currently available on the market, is the Developer Supplement stating the TRUTH, or the truth from a certain perspective? Might there be a firmware update (that may or may not be needed) in the future that could make an iMac G5 accomodate two 2GB PC3200 chips in its memory slots? Or, is the onboard memory controller fixed in stone with regard to how much it will ever see? This I wonder about...

Also, even though the VRAM is 128MB, which since I never play games should last me till the end of time, I kind of wish could be a user-servicable upgrade versus soldered to the Midplane. But that's just wishful thinking...

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I've had mine for 6 days now, by far the best computer I've had yet. I love that it has airport built right in, I could just plug it in and I was on my network in no time. The two things that sold me on the rev b iMacs were the built in wireless and the 128mb of VRAM. They really are the best deal out there for a new computer.

As far as the white area under the screen, I don't even notice it anymore. When I first say the iMacs released, I didn't like the look at all, I thought they looked like a pizza box. But when you sit right in from of one, they have such a clean look and with a wireless keyboard and mouse, I have no wires on my desk.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I've had my 17" since November, and have upgraded it to Tiger.

Great all-around computer, not too noisy (nothing iTunes can't cure, especially considering mine only gets noticably loud when I am running Classic or something). The built-in speakers are kind of weak, but I solved that with a 2.1 system off the computer it was replacing.

The unit itself is as small as a Dell Ultrasharp LCD from late 2002 that I have on another computer, except it has the computer inside it instead of on the floor.

Very convenient -- especially in an already cluttered computer area.

Plastic Avatar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
West Virginia
Ah, yes.

Chip NoVaMac said:
So far, day two with my iMac G5 20" and no noise complaints about the fan. I wish my eMac were this quiet!

My gripe? Wish it had dual processors! :D

Duals.

That would rock, but then they'd have to switch to aluminum cases so they wouldn't melt ;)

I keep hearing 20" owners say the fan noise is significantly less compared to the 17". I don't have a reference 20" I can sit down next to my 17" for comparisons, though it would be nice to measure the difference.

Have you had a chance to do photo manipulation on your 20", Chip?

I'm going to play with that tomorrow :D

Plastic Avatar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
West Virginia
Favorite OS feature?

atakordie said:
Yeah, I got the same model you did, Plastic, and it's a real nice looking machine (especially to these switcher's eyes).

No doubt!

The more I look at it, the more I appreciate the design....

I bought 6 Blueberry versions (192MB RAM, 4GB HDs) at a university auction last Summer for $120 (total for all). I put 10.2 on them and gave them away as Christmas presents.

I look forward to the day I can buy 6 of the G5 iMacs at an auction, but I'll keep every single one for use in my home. They're awfully pretty :D

atakordie said:
Yes, the fan noise is noticeable, but it is much quieter than my old windows desktop and my toshiba laptop. Only gripe is that the fan really gets spinnin' when I download images and whatnot from the web, like within a web page. Can't figure out why, I have the 2 GB RAM and I did a clean install right out of the box. Other than that, perfectly content.

I've heard that about downloading images. Strange.

Noise- The iMac is definitely quieter than the Quicksilver G4 I used to have. And it's nothing compared to the old Gateway or Aptiva we had from days of yore.

As a switcher, what is your favorite feature of the new OS?

My wife *really* loves Spotlight.

Me, I like all those useful amazing widgets =)

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the rippling-water eye-candy-thing when widgets hit the screen is pretty *$^@!#% cool :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
wwooden said:
I've had mine for 6 days now, by far the best computer I've had yet. I love that it has airport built right in, I could just plug it in and I was on my network in no time. The two things that sold me on the rev b iMacs were the built in wireless and the 128mb of VRAM. They really are the best deal out there for a new computer.

As far as the white area under the screen, I don't even notice it anymore. When I first say the iMacs released, I didn't like the look at all, I thought they looked like a pizza box. But when you sit right in from of one, they have such a clean look and with a wireless keyboard and mouse, I have no wires on my desk.

I too did the BT keyboard option. Love the keyboard. The mouse is just OK. Now if Wacom would just come out with a graphics pad that is BT, I would be happy. I just got my Treo to work via BT, one less cable hanging around.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Plastic Avatar said:
Duals.

That would rock, but then they'd have to switch to aluminum cases so they wouldn't melt ;)

I keep hearing 20" owners say the fan noise is significantly less compared to the 17". I don't have a reference 20" I can sit down next to my 17" for comparisons, though it would be nice to measure the difference.

Have you had a chance to do photo manipulation on your 20", Chip?

I'm going to play with that tomorrow :D

Not as of yet. But I am Folding, doing bit torrents, and having Mail running; so the system is running under a load.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
wwooden said:
and with a wireless keyboard and mouse, I have no wires on my desk.

Hehe, look at my desktop ;)
IMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1013.jpg

xisforextreme

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The fan noise really doesn't bother me that much, probably because I'm used to the noise of my old desktop PC, the only thing about the iMac I don't like is its design. Cll me weird, but there was something about the old design which I really liked, as for performance and just about everything else, the iMac is a star (even though it still has the same 512 ram as when I bought it).

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
I'm pretty happy with my iMac - but am having major problems with awaking from sleep. I can't even deactivate sleep in my Energy Saver preferences and external drives are a real hassle.

But I'm hoping this is more of an issue with 10.4.1 - maybe a future update with help sort things out ... (definition of an optimist :p )

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
1.5 GB of RAM in my new iMac. I just wish the resolution was a little higher on the screen. Oh well...I wish I had the money for the 20" iMac but I'm a starving college student. :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Eidorian said:
1.5 GB of RAM in my new iMac. I just wish the resolution was a little higher on the screen. Oh well...I wish I had the money for the 20" iMac but I'm a starving college student. :rolleyes:

The $300 difference is well worth in long run IMO. It is a matter of choices and budgeting for students.

shazammy

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
I too did the BT keyboard option. Love the keyboard. The mouse is just OK. Now if Wacom would just come out with a graphics pad that is BT, I would be happy. I just got my Treo to work via BT, one less cable hanging around.

Have you been snoozing? Wacom DOES have a Bluetooth graphire tablet, it's really great.

http://www.wacom.com/graphire/bluetooth.cfm

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Chip NoVaMac said:
The $300 difference is well worth in long run IMO. It is a matter of choices and budgeting for students.
I was able to cough up enough for the SuperDrive tthough. I NEED my ability to burn DVD's.

Plastic Avatar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
West Virginia
eXan said:
Hehe, look at my desktop ;)
IMG_1013.jpg

I love a good example of computer sprawl =)

Hey, are you really in Vladivostok? I ask because I recently purchased a lot of old pictures/picture postcards and some are labeled 'vladivostok'.... many others look like they were taken somewhere in Russia (circa somewhere between 1910 and 1930, my guess).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.