PDA

View Full Version : Are iPhone users tired of android threads in our iPhone forum? Here's what you do...

ap3604
Apr 1, 2012, 03:24 PM

balamw
Apr 1, 2012, 03:28 PM
MOD NOTE: It's enough to report the posts/threads you think are off topic in the forum in which they are posted. Use the appropriate threads in Site and Forum Feedback. Please don't spam us!

Creating and deleting sub forums is not something that is done lightly.

B

r.j.s
Apr 1, 2012, 03:44 PM
A better idea than PMing a random mod is to post in a Site and Forum Feedback thread. Mods cannot create a subform.

While this is an Apple/Mac related forum, android threads are allowed here, since all those phones end up getting compared to the iPhone. There is no reason to purge android threads from the forum completely.

ap3604
Apr 1, 2012, 03:54 PM

Steed
Apr 1, 2012, 04:00 PM
Go to this thread -> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=370725

Click on "forum leaders" : http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php

Click on an admin (the green dots are online) -> click "contact info" tab -> click "Send a private message" and let them know you are tired of these random android threads that have nothing to do with the iphone and ask for a subforum to be made to move all these non-iPhone threads to so their not cluttering up the forum and trolling.

Be very nice and polite if you do message them, and only send one since they have a hard job already and don't need a million messages, but just to let them know how the forum members feel.

I like opinions in all areas that affect the iPhone. Even the competition.

ap3604
Apr 1, 2012, 04:01 PM

kdarling
Apr 1, 2012, 04:28 PM
I do to...

... just when it's in the correct subforums and not a cluttered mess that makes it hard to find genuine iphone information and easy for trolls to run rampant like it is now.

You keep saying "trolls". Personally, I haven't seen that many.

It's against the rules of most forums (plus it's not polite) to publicly call people trolls, especially since the term is misused so much these days.

If you really think someone is just trolling for responses instead of starting a debate, use the little red triangle marker to report them. If a moderator agrees with you, they'll deal with the problem.

bruinsrme
Apr 1, 2012, 04:36 PM
I prefer to stay ignorant of any other product as I may realize there is something out there that better suits my wants and desires.

ap3604
Apr 1, 2012, 04:38 PM

r.j.s
Apr 1, 2012, 04:40 PM
If a certain word is against the rules then it should be starred (****) out the way many cuss words are on Macrumors.

The word isn't against the rules - per se, but calling someone a troll is either an insult or namecalling - and IS against the rules.

Matthew9559
Apr 1, 2012, 05:18 PM
Meh, I don't really care. I go into the threads when I feel like reading them and ignore them when I don't want to. :P

mbell1975
Apr 1, 2012, 05:35 PM
Well I can tell you that if you go on an Android forums and start creating threads about iPhones and iPads and touting reasons why you believe your hardware and OS is superior, they will kick you out pretty quick. Not sure why this forum stands for it. I could see if it were in a general discussion or "other devices" section, but all of these Android phone and devices threads have zero to do with the iPhone. Some people are just posting in here because this is where the vast majority of users are and they are trying to get a rise out of iPhone users. Pretty pathetic to be honest, plenty of Android forums around to drool over your phone specs with all the other tech nerds.

0m3ga
Apr 1, 2012, 05:48 PM
I personally wouldn't mind an Android/Windows Phone sub forum to discuss other OS's and phones with like minded people. We come to this forum because it has a wide base of users, some of whom actually like and use Android.

Yes, you can go to other forums, but why bother when you can have one stop shopping here on Macrumors? I really enjoy this site. I visit androidforums and a few others and it just isn't the same feel.

smithrh
Apr 1, 2012, 05:54 PM
Well I can tell you that if you go on an Android forums and start creating threads about iPhones and iPads and touting reasons why you believe your hardware and OS is superior, they will kick you out pretty quick. Not sure why this forum stands for it. I could see if it were in a general discussion or "other devices" section, but all of these Android phone and devices threads have zero to do with the iPhone. Some people are just posting in here because this is where the vast majority of users are and they are trying to get a rise out of iPhone users. Pretty pathetic to be honest, plenty of Android forums around to drool over your phone specs with all the other tech nerds.

This.

Dunno why Arn thinks MacRumors needs to be more fair to Android users than the other way around.

Unless... He's liking the extra traffic/activity it might bring for advertising.

Other than that, not really sure why it continues. It's not like creating a subforum would be that much of a deal to implement.

aztooh
Apr 1, 2012, 06:08 PM
This.

Dunno why Arn thinks MacRumors needs to be more fair to Android users than the other way around.

Unless... He's liking the extra traffic/activity it might bring for advertising.

Other than that, not really sure why it continues. It's not like creating a subforum would be that much of a deal to implement.

Possibly because Arn (?) expects more out of people and thinks there can be grown up discussion about competing devices?

IMO, the "troll" like posts come from iPhone/iOS users who proclaim the iPhone is "perfect" or "the best" and can't fathom someone having a different opinion from them. Which then starts the arguments back and forth.

Like someone mentioned, the "one stop shopping" is fine. Some people use/have used more than one OS and this forum COULD be richer for it. But 'fan boys' (of any OS) always ruin things. Funny that there's a similar phenomenon in the car industry. 2 things I enjoy the most (technology and automobiles) suffer from narrow minded people flashing their ignorance.

Rodimus Prime
Apr 1, 2012, 06:08 PM

The other forums that you talk about tend to have a an entire sub thread dedicated to addressing that issue. Here at Macrumors there is no sub thread for other phones so it going to tend to populated in a single location with the iPhone. It would take the admins created a true sub thread dedicated to other phones to solve this issue.

It is not an Apple to Apple comparison so to speak.

Peace
Apr 1, 2012, 07:28 PM
Meh, I don't really care. I go into the threads when I feel like reading them and ignore them when I don't want to. :P

^^^^This.

I agree.

;)

annk
Apr 2, 2012, 02:08 AM
Thanks for your feedback r.j.s and balamw :) I'll edit my original post to message admins instead of mods so we message the right people.

Please don't spam the admins, either. ;) A thread in SSF is enough, we'll all see it.

BTW, there are other threads about this, for example:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=915303&highlight=android+forum

xnickitynickx
Apr 2, 2012, 08:28 AM
I have to agree. While I don't mind if someone new asks why we might prefer a 4S to a Note, I am bugged by the ones simply saying "the note is now 500% larger!". Those would most definitely benefit from an android subforum. That way we can read things tailored for that area.

-aggie-
Apr 2, 2012, 08:39 AM
Please don't spam the admins, either. ;) A thread in SSF is enough, we'll all see it.

BTW, there are other threads about this, for example:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=915303&highlight=android+forum

I'd forgotten that I'd posted that. As you can see, it totally made a difference and all is well. :)

Peace
Apr 2, 2012, 02:44 PM
This poll should include a 3rd option : Who cares.