Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dipdimmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Hi there,
I have a Macbook Pro 17", my screen stopped working fully but the laptop still turns on. I have a DVI (not mini) to HDMI Cable. I was wondering how I can connect it to my HDTV and use it as a monitor? I tried to plug it in, but no signal. So I'm assuming its not plug and play...? Is there any other way? BTW my laptop is model A1229 Macbook Pro 17".

Any help please????? :(:(:( :confused:

Jperez51

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I have a 2008 MBP i connected to m HDTV and it usually just connects autmatically. If it doesn't work that way, go to system preferences (while the tv is connected) and switch to "mirror display." if it still doesn't work, check the cable or switch to DVI to RGB.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
It should be plug and play between the macbook pro and the tv. I'd guess it's something in the display settings or maybe the videocard is dead...so no display-out is possible.

alexwood2000

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
DVI to HDMI Macbook Pro 17

I think you have problem with your graphics card GeForce 8600M GT. Apple still does repair for free as it faulty chips. I had the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.