PDA

View Full Version : Spotify on the New iPad (Retina Display)

CKtoph
Apr 2, 2012, 10:26 AM
Anyone have pics of using Spotify's iPhone app on the new iPad's retina display?

JonDigital
Apr 2, 2012, 10:32 AM
It's awful. They really do need to get on the ball and update this app to support the iPad. Hell I would even take a non-retina display version at this point. The iPhone version stretched to the iPad is horrible.

jbimler
Apr 2, 2012, 10:56 AM
I was very disappointed when I saw there still wasn't an iPad app. I had googled before I got my iPad and the CEO mentioned they should have an app soon at the end of last year. I'll be cancelling my premium subscription when it comes up in a few weeks.

Frenchjay
Apr 2, 2012, 11:06 AM
The same goes for the bigger companies like eBay and Facebook. They should have apps ready to be pushed out as soon as the iPad is released. Even some small companies had retina ready apps from day one. It boggles the mind how they can't organise an app for a release close to just after the initial release.

SilentLoner
Apr 2, 2012, 11:14 AM
It is disappointing but the iPhone app does work but yeah it is sloppy.

Cynicalone
Apr 2, 2012, 11:17 AM
The lack of a proper iPad app is a big failure for Spotify.

The Mac App seems to be very well written it uses very little in the way of CPU and memory resources. I would think porting it to a touch interface would not be that hard.

JasonR
Apr 2, 2012, 11:26 AM
The Spotify iPhone app has always kind of sucked. A dedicated iPad App would be legit.

akdj
Apr 2, 2012, 11:42 AM
I agree with all above comments...in fact, this weekend, I downloaded MOG. They beat Spotify to the punch *with an iPad UI*...and with a 15 day free trial for the premium, same priced package (9.99 and playlists to mobile devices; same pricing structure as Spotify)...it was a no brainer for me. Today is my first day trying it out. It's excellent--the UI is definitely a step above Spotify (comparing to my iPhone UI--but I do have it on my iPad 3 *Spotify x 2" as well where it's really fugly!).

I love Spotify and I've had it since launch (and the 9.99 premium package, as I travel a lot and the offline, on the iPhone/iPad playlists are excellent at 320kb/s) but I won't hesitate to change up--to MOG if it so protest it's worth. I'm not sure if I signed up for a year subscription or not--someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread...if you did do a year subscription, is there some sort of savings (from the 9.99/month)?

Maybe, being a new launch to the US in late fall 2011, they were aware of a new iPad on the horizon...and were waiting for it's specs to update their app. One can hope! It seems there's no excuse for how bad their UI is on the iPhone. I dig their execution on the website--from my laptops. Just the 'mobile' UI that I'm not fond of.

Jer

Pinkie Pie
Apr 2, 2012, 12:12 PM
I agree with all above comments...in fact, this weekend, I downloaded MOG. They beat Spotify to the punch *with an iPad UI*...

Jer

Haha, I was just coming here to say this. :D MOG has a gorgeous iPad app (and, imo, is a much better service than Spotify).

adztaylor
Apr 2, 2012, 12:58 PM
Absolutely, they're needs to be a iPad Spotify app. I'm a premium user and love using the it. But come on and bring out an iPad app!

wmitch
Apr 2, 2012, 01:02 PM
After buying the iPad, I recently switched to Rdio which is the same price as Spotify but offers a great ipad app and offers in browser playback which is great since i can't download the app onto my Work Laptop. And they have some albums that Spotify was missing.

Highly Recommend.

akdj
Apr 2, 2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks. I'd been looking at Rdio for awhile now. I'm a 22 year radio vet (last 16 working for clear channel. I'm definitely lucky to still be employeed in the business these days...which Pandora, Spotify, Mod, TurntblFM et al...it's been a tough coup,e of years...

However, we at CC are fortunate to have the forward thinking group putting together I 'Heart' Radio...which while not quite there yet, is slowly but surely gaining the music, resources and functionality as the other services...while still being free and commercial free at this Pont...with several hundred terrestrial stations we've already built in the 'analog' realm

Still, I find myself much more excited by the Spotify and Mog's of the world--and possibly Rdio soon:)

Jer

eagleglen
Apr 2, 2012, 04:39 PM
Haha, I was just coming here to say this. :D MOG has a gorgeous iPad app (and, imo, is a much better service than Spotify).

How is MOG better, do you mind saying? I have Spotify and really like it. Is MOG's library as big?

To their credit, the Spotify iPhone app lets you add songs to the current queue, something I've long been frustrated by iTunes music app lacking. But I also agree, particularly paying for their service, Spotify has dropped the ball not having an iPad app yet.

GekkePrutser
Apr 3, 2012, 04:06 AM
Maybe, being a new launch to the US in late fall 2011, they were aware of a new iPad on the horizon...and were waiting for it's specs to update their app. One can hope! It seems there's no excuse for how bad their UI is on the iPhone. I dig their execution on the website--from my laptops. Just the 'mobile' UI that I'm not fond of.

I've been hoping ever since the first iPad came out... So good luck with that :)

For some reason they announce the iPad app is 'almost there' on secondary outlets like Twitter and then there's month of nothing. The last time was 6 months ago I think. Petitions have been tried, facebook groups, calls for people to cancel their subs, but they just don't care about the iPad.

Oppressed
Apr 3, 2012, 06:12 AM
It is because there is no iPad app that I am leaving Spotify for Rdio. I tried mog for a while but you cannot edit playlists on the iPad app which is a deal breaker for me.

CKtoph
Apr 3, 2012, 10:12 AM
I've had Spotify pretty much since they launched in the U.S. and have always liked it. I know the criticisms are there, but I still think it's one of the better of it's kind (I've only tried MOG so far).

I think many of us are disappointed with the lack of an iPad app, but it's one of those things where I use it enough on my desktop and iPhone where I might as well wait it out.

One can only hope that they're working on it...

mouthster
Apr 3, 2012, 12:08 PM
I agree an iPad app would be optimal but I think there's a lot of whining in this thread. It's a music app, for the most part you pick what you play and it goes back to the background. Canceling subscriptions and such is a bit dramatic.

Any of the complaints in this thread would fit nicely on http://first-world-problems.com/ IMO.

akdj
Apr 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
I agree an iPad app would be optimal but I think there's a lot of whining in this thread. It's a music app, for the most part you pick what you play and it goes back to the background. Canceling subscriptions and such is a bit dramatic.

Any of the complaints in this thread would fit nicely on http://first-world-problems.com/ IMO.

...I don't think there's much whining in this thread...more an attempt to answer the original poster's query and a nice debate about other options. No one is 'threatening'...come on man!

I'm with ya...it's a music app. However, at the same time, it's an organizational and music playlist 'building' application. When it comes to those options, it sucks that the UI isn't available yet on iPad. It's an incredible service...hence the reason I subscribe to the premium service..and will continue to. I am a music lover! These types of services are phenomenal...BUT, having them on the iPad is just an extra bonus--and like having the UI on your computer, makes it a much easier way to search, create, edit, and establish playlists for 'on the go' listening. No more. No less. Certainly not worth you jumping in calling us whiners and using the well 'over-used' cliche of "First World Problems".

I'm sure you're living comfortably as well as (most) those of us that are regular MR visitors. Honestly...there really wasn't any room in this thread for your response...so why take the time to post?

J

ecib
Apr 3, 2012, 01:01 PM
Anyone have pics of using Spotify's iPhone app on the new iPad's retina display?

Here is a screen shot of the app in x2 mode:

http://i.imgur.com/qwee4.jpg

Works perfectly fine, but they need to step up and deliver an app that has the full feature set (stuff like music discovery) that the desktop version has.

Making new playlists is a breeze in the Mac. Not so on iOS.

mouthster
Apr 3, 2012, 01:11 PM
...I don't think there's much whining in this thread...more an attempt to answer the original poster's query and a nice debate about other options. No one is 'threatening'...come on man!

I'm with ya...it's a music app. However, at the same time, it's an organizational and music playlist 'building' application. When it comes to those options, it sucks that the UI isn't available yet on iPad. It's an incredible service...hence the reason I subscribe to the premium service..and will continue to. I am a music lover! These types of services are phenomenal...BUT, having them on the iPad is just an extra bonus--and like having the UI on your computer, makes it a much easier way to search, create, edit, and establish playlists for 'on the go' listening. No more. No less. Certainly not worth you jumping in calling us whiners and using the well 'over-used' cliche of "First World Problems".

I'm sure you're living comfortably as well as (most) those of us that are regular MR visitors. Honestly...there really wasn't any room in this thread for your response...so why take the time to post?

J

Same reason you took the time to reply, it's the internet ? :cool:

CKtoph
Apr 3, 2012, 01:45 PM
Here is a screen shot of the app in x2 mode:

http://i.imgur.com/qwee4.jpg

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks!

JonnyBlaze
Apr 3, 2012, 02:26 PM
Although spotify's own iPad app is non-existent, there is a great alternative.

It used to be known as Tablified, but has been re-submitted to apple in the last couple of days as Spotable. I downloaded it when it was Tablified, and it's free and really is great, spotify will really have to try hard to make their own version better than this. Spotable will be in the app store once apple give it the ok, hopefully soon.

P.s. I have nothing to do with the app / developers, just love their product.