PDA

View Full Version : Best note taking app for lefties?

GhostMac24
Apr 2, 2012, 10:45 AM
Have read over countless note taking apps in the app store and it seems that the major complaint is the need to write in an unnatural position, especially if you are a lefty.

So.....is there one that those of y'all that are lefties would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

TjeuV
Apr 2, 2012, 10:46 AM
Have read over countless note taking apps in the app store and it seems that the major complaint is the need to write in an unnatural position, especially if you are a lefty.

So.....is there one that those of y'all that are lefties would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

And a bluetooth keyboard is no option?

ReallyBigFeet
Apr 2, 2012, 11:17 AM
I don't use it personally, but I've several clients over in Israel that use an app called "Whitenote" that allows them to write in Hebrew, which is right to left. Not exactly the same as a "lefty" but maybe it gives you a starting point.

Also, Noteability, Notetaker HD and Notes Plus all three claim to support various layouts for "left-handed" mode. Have you tried any of these? I have all three and find Noteability and Notes Plus pretty much a tie for features.

Pretty much any of the note taking apps that support a "Zoom" function should be lefty-friendly these days. Basically, the zoom box is positional by you, rendering anything under the zoom box a null zone that ignores finger/wrist input. So whether you are a lefty that drags your pen from left to right or hovers over the surface, you should be fine.

GhostMac24
Apr 2, 2012, 02:50 PM
And a bluetooth keyboard is no option?

If I want to type notes with a keyboard I just use my MBP. My question focuses on handwriting.

ton123
Apr 4, 2012, 02:33 AM
You can try "penultimate" it has wrist protection feature made both for right and left handed without having to adjust box/slider etc. it just works.

It may be simple compared to other full blown notetaking apps but i find it simplicity is a plus. Its very responsive and have amazing realistic inking system. ;)

GhostMac24
Apr 4, 2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the input! It looks like Penultimate is in my final 3. I have looked at probably a dozen to this point and there seem to be about 3-5 that really look promising.

I'll post back my results......

richpjr
Apr 4, 2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the input! It looks like Penultimate is in my final 3. I have looked at probably a dozen to this point and there seem to be about 3-5 that really look promising.

I'll post back my results......

Left here also - let us know what you end up choosing.

GhostMac24
Apr 6, 2012, 12:33 PM
I ended up going with Penultimate. I'll report back on my impressions.

richpjr
Apr 6, 2012, 12:37 PM
I ended up going with Penultimate. I'll report back on my impressions.

That seems to be one of the more popular ones. Let us fellow southpaws know how it works for you.

NoFaQ
Apr 6, 2012, 04:08 PM
I recently went through the same search. I ended up trying Penultimate first (3-4 weeks ago) and then Notability (about 1 week ago).

They both are effective at making the apps usable for lefties. I definitely have gotten to like Notability much more than Penultimate as a note taking app. It just feels more responsive and has more features that make it a powerful note taking app.

My ultimate recommendation would be Notability if you are going to use it for notes at school, meetings, etc. If just used sometimes or for your occasional notes, then either one would be sufficient. Penultimate is good, but Notability seems a little better in every category.

Also, as a leftie, they both have settings to set it for left hand mode, which basically moves the controls to the right hand side so you can select the features with your right hand while using the stylus with your left. They also have a wrist "pad" that comes down from the top of the screen for those lefties that write with the wrist above the stylus so that your wrist doesn't affect the writing on the screen.

You really can't go wrong with either app.