Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wcbrownhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Middle Tennessee
:confused:I have a Mac Mini, with lion, about a month old. I downloaded the recovery assistant and followed the on screen instructions and it said it loaded a recovery disk on a 8 gig thumb drive. (probably two minutes and you could see it loading something) You can't see it on the thumb drive and it said you would not be abel to see it. Is this all you need if you have a HD crash of something bad happen? If I need something else please help me out because I am not real computer savy. THANKS A LOT!!!!:confused:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
:confused:I have a Mac Mini, with lion, about a month old. I downloaded the recovery assistant and followed the on screen instructions and it said it loaded a recovery disk on a 8 gig thumb drive. (probably two minutes and you could see it loading something) You can't see it on the thumb drive and it said you would not be abel to see it. Is this all you need if you have a HD crash of something bad happen? If I need something else please help me out because I am not real computer savy. THANKS A LOT!!!!:confused:

plug in the usb drive and rebooot your computer, when you hear the chime sound hold option you should see the usb drive show up in the list of bootable devices this will let you know it was done right

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
:confused: Is this all you need if you have a HD crash or something bad happens? If I need something else please help me out because I am not real computer savy. :confused:
The Recovery partition, with a minimal working OS on it, will allow you to reinstall the OS (initiate the install procedure and download the installer from Apple's servers via the net) and/or run Disk Utility on the target partition. If that is all you need to do you are OK. However, that may not be all you need to do if something really bad happens. So backup your data and keep your Application install Disks safe. Many people like to have a cloned HD available as a means to get back up and running quickly.:cool:

wcbrownhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I plugged the thumdrive in, restated, and held in the option key. It displayed two hard drives and the thumdrive. If needed I would pic the thumdrive and it would download Lion and install it on the MM. Another quick question. Will this Mac Mini run Leopard? I have another IMac with the 2 disk. Thanks Again.

wcbrownhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Middle Tennessee
The Recovery partition, with a minimal working OS on it, will allow you to reinstall the OS (initiate the install procedure and download the installer from Apple's servers via the net) and/or run Disk Utility on the target partition. If that is all you need to do you are OK. However, that may not be all you need to do if something really bad happens. So backup your data and keep your Application install Disks safe. Many people like to have a cloned HD available as a means to get back up and running quickly.:cool:
I back up all of my pics and files. I learned that the hard way. Where do you get the application install disk? Thanks again.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I back up all of my pics and files. I learned that the hard way. Where do you get the application install disk? Thanks again.
By "Application install disks" I meant software you buy, which usually comes on a CD or DVD that you use to install your purchased software. Is that a little easier to understand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.