Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Podcasts are just becoming popular and have the advantage of small file sizes, listening on the go, and ease of production.

But I have been noticing lately that there is a lot of content now that is, for the lack of a better term, amateur tv, vlog, or videocasting. One example is Systm another is Rocketboom

Set up a fairly inexpensive home studio, produce your show, and make it available to the masses.

Here is a company that provides software for the distribution. Your video gets wrapped in RSS so people can subscribe. You can search for other videos much like podcasting.

What do you guys/gals think? Me, I think this could be huge.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I think that vlogging will pick up speed if/when Apple has a video store and when h.264 is widely distributed and used. Why these things?

Not a whole lot of people are big on video. Distribution is one problem, which h.264 and bit torrent are solving. I'm guessing that if Apple has a video store, it's based on bit torrent, and they will have servers across different countries that are all the main seeders of what they have available. Vlogging could take off, but I don't think it'll catch on until more people are "in" on the video thing. I'm not sure if that makes sense, since plenty of people already watch video on their computers, but that's what I think. (And no, I'm not saying that podcasting took off because of Apple, since people were podcasting way before Apple entered the arena).
-Chase

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
cool that iTunes supports video blogging! The link said that itunes is not making it easy to find the videos but if you know what to look for your in luck.

I think given the right target audience, (namely people who are comfortable with bit torrent and are more tech savvy than the average person) there is so much potential for getting your video out and bringing some money in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.